Welcome, Guest! Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Enrollment, campus growth  (Read 91747 times)

Offline wmr

• Locally Grown, 100% Organic
  • King of the Hogs
  • (.) (.)
Re: Enrollment, campus growth
« Reply #475 on: February 17, 2012, 10:29:08 AM »
The whole 6th street corridor is going to be big for student-oriented housing.

There are two more big apt complexes planned for the south side of MLK between Razorback Rd and 540.  Which only means in 20 years, after those developments have run their course, maybe we will fulfill our dream of having an MLK that runs through the ghetto in Fayetteville.
LSU fans are tres gauche.

Offline ArkGuy

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #476 on: February 17, 2012, 11:25:24 AM »

There are two more big apt complexes planned for the south side of MLK between Razorback Rd and 540.  Which only means in 20 years, after those developments have run their course, maybe we will fulfill our dream of having an MLK that runs through the ghetto in Fayetteville.

As opposed to running through old lumber yards, used car lots, liqour stores, fast food joints, and boxes formerly occupied by Walmarks.  ;D
"As the leader of all illegal activities in Casablanca, I am an influential and respected man."

Offline Snorts

• Boar
  • 7 Screaming Diz Busters
« Reply #477 on: February 17, 2012, 11:44:32 AM »
Just ask the Axis

Offline chittlins

• Once got busy in a Burger King bathroom
  • Boar
  • It's a two sniff league
« Reply #478 on: February 17, 2012, 11:56:47 AM »

I'd rather see complexes like the Crowne and the one by Brenda's over a street of duplexes, quadplexes and small time(less than 20 units) Apts any day. Duplexes are assured blight in five years.

Offline cooter

• Boar
« Reply #479 on: February 17, 2012, 12:00:46 PM »
My Dad took me to visit my Aunt in the mid-90's.  She had an old three story house right on top of the hill.  My cousin Sherman lived with her all her life.  Word is that she was a millionaire who made her money off of sawmills in the old timber boom.  Walking into that old house you would never know she had money, it looked like an indoor flea market.  I went up there a few years ago looking for the old house and never found it.  I wonder if they tore it down and built that new aMm up there.  Don't know what happened to Sherman, I think he got all the money and is probably living in Key West.  I hope they made some money off the sale.

Offline muslimsdonteatme

• Blasphemer
  • Administrator
  • Tush Hog
  • Thunderbolt of Flaming Wisdom
« Reply #480 on: February 17, 2012, 06:45:48 PM »
I hated it.  The only thing worth while is that for some reason the cooks could make the greatest cookies in the world.

We used to get good dope out of Pomfret, but the best weed on campus came from a skinny little dude in Hotz.   :)

Offline iNOVAhog

• Boar
  • woopig.net
« Reply #481 on: February 17, 2012, 07:35:12 PM »
We used to get good dope out of Pomfret, but the best weed on campus came from a skinny little dude in Hotz.   :)

Online WPFM

• Administrator
  • King of the Hogs
  • greets apathy like an old friend
Ya'll ever tried to suck a dick for 20 minutes?  It isn't easy.

Offline wmr

• King of the Hogs
  • (.) (.)
« Reply #483 on: March 18, 2012, 10:25:14 PM »
Stepped away for a bit, but here's something pretty cool, IMO.  This building breaks ground this summer with a Fall 2013 completion.

This is a rendering of "Founders Hall", the new dorm/mixed use building that will be a part of the redevelopment of McIlroy Hill.  This building is the first from the PDF I linked a while back.  They went old-school with the design, which I fricking love:

http://www.clarkcontractors.net/projects/details?id=25

Here's the PDF with the full plan for that part of campus:  http://planning.uark.edu/capital_budgeting/content/2011_rfq_ae_mcilroyavebldg_studies.pdf
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 10:46:31 PM by wmr »

Offline big_pig

• King of the Hogs
  • Avatars were made to be broken, but not this one!
« Reply #484 on: March 18, 2012, 11:31:19 PM »
Stepped away for a bit, but here's something pretty cool, IMO.  This building breaks ground this summer with a Fall 2013 completion.

This is a rendering of "Founders Hall", the new dorm/mixed use building that will be a part of the redevelopment of McIlroy Hill.  This building is the first from the PDF I linked a while back.  They went old-school with the design, which I fricking love:

Here's the PDF with the full plan for that part of campus:  http://planning.uark.edu/capital_budgeting/content/2011_rfq_ae_mcilroyavebldg_studies.pdf

Looks like the prison from The Walking Dead..
I am not claiming I am right, I am saying I don't get it.

Offline cooter

• Boar
« Reply #485 on: March 20, 2012, 01:11:49 PM »

This looks almost exactly like the old WW2 barracks that I lived at in Germany.  I'm no architect but they have a word for that old communist style but I can't remember it.  Meh.  If it gets the job done but I sure hope they aren't spending anything extra on the monstrosity.

Offline wmr

• King of the Hogs
  • (.) (.)
« Reply #486 on: March 20, 2012, 01:45:55 PM »
Huh...that's strange to me.  I think this will be one of the better-looking dorms on campus when its completed.  Not that the bar is set very high. 

It is pretty huge at 6-stories tall, but its basically a combination of the designs used on Gibson and Gregson:

« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 01:51:30 PM by wmr »

Offline cooter

• Boar
« Reply #487 on: March 20, 2012, 09:13:32 PM »
Reminds me of this.  These were built in Hitler's time.

Offline wmr

• King of the Hogs
  • (.) (.)
« Reply #488 on: March 20, 2012, 09:49:43 PM »
Ha.  Well, I see the resemblance.  Negative personal associations aside, I don't think that's a bad-looking building, especially for a barracks.  I like it a lot better than this:

« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 11:01:06 AM by wmr »

Offline Hawgwild8988

• Boar
  • e pluribus sooie
« Reply #489 on: March 20, 2012, 11:14:19 PM »
Reminds me of this.  These were built in Hitler's time.

??? Are you saying...

Offline Hog on the Hill

• A Shoat
« Reply #490 on: March 21, 2012, 11:19:27 PM »
This looks almost exactly like the old WW2 barracks that I lived at in Germany.  I'm no architect but they have a word for that old communist style but I can't remember it.  Meh.  If it gets the job done but I sure hope they aren't spending anything extra on the monstrosity.
The Germans weren't communists.  :shocker:

When I look at that rendering, I see collegiate gothic, which is the style of the previously mentioned Gibson and Gregson, as well as numerous other buildings on campus.

It's very common elsewhere in the US.  I don't have any stats, but my guess is that collegiate gothic and Greek revival are the two most prevalent architectural influences on colleges in the US.  Some examples of collegiate gothic:

Princeton University

University of Michigan
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 11:28:56 PM by Hog on the Hill »

Offline wmr

• King of the Hogs
  • (.) (.)
« Reply #491 on: April 17, 2012, 08:16:36 AM »
Another drawing and different angle on Founders Hall: 

Also, if you're bored, you might check out the cameras for the construction project Hillside Auditorium.  They've really made some big progress there.  It also looks like they have just about completed site work and that the Pi Phi Gate is about to start going up.  There's a zoom feature on the bottom left:

http://oxblue.com/open/uark/HillsideAuditorium

http://oxblue.com/open/uark/PiBetaPhiGate

The cameras have a cool time lapse feature at the top to see most of the progress in action.

Offline HogofWar

• Boar
  • Tits Out, Captain.
« Reply #492 on: April 17, 2012, 08:40:49 AM »
Ha.  Well, I see the resemblance.  Negative personal associations aside, I don't think that's a bad-looking building, especially for a barracks.  I like it a lot better than this:

Ah, Yocum. Fond memories.

Offline ArkGuy

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #493 on: April 17, 2012, 09:39:46 AM »
Ah, Yocum. Fond memories.

Is it?  Or is it Reid looking from the northwest to the southeast.  Look at the far right edge of the photo.  It seems to fall into into space like what you'd see if you ere looking at Reid from that angle.

Gosh, whoever thought that was good looking.
"As the leader of all illegal activities in Casablanca, I am an influential and respected man."

Offline LashHog

• is not dead in East End
  • King of the Hogs
  • WooPig
« Reply #494 on: April 17, 2012, 09:58:02 AM »
Is it?  Or is it Reid looking from the northwest to the southeast.  Look at the far right edge of the photo.  It seems to fall into into space like what you'd see if you ere looking at Reid from that angle.

Gosh, whoever thought that was good looking.
Wouldn't you see Yocum and the rest of the hill from that angle? That looks like Yocum and you are looking kind of over BWA to the mountains beyond.
It is better to be a human being dissatisfied than a pig satisfied; better to be Socrates dissatisfied than a fool satisfied.

Offline HogofWar

• Boar
  • Tits Out, Captain.
« Reply #495 on: April 17, 2012, 10:38:55 AM »
Wouldn't you see Yocum and the rest of the hill from that angle? That looks like Yocum and you are looking kind of over BWA to the mountains beyond.

That is definitely Yocum. The porch and rail gives it away. I spent three years there, trust me. You can tell in the back of the building that there is really not much behind it. Reid had the University medical clinic behind it.

Offline NotoriousPIG

• Boar
« Reply #496 on: April 17, 2012, 04:44:57 PM »
I had the best setup ever at Yocum for Freshman year.  Scholarship paid for full room/board that I didn't use b/c I lived in the fraternity house but I took it anyways and was the "roommate" of a guy I knew in high school.  He even put sheets on the bed.  Perfect hideout to get some sleep or dodge some old heads.

Offline Count Porkula

• Mayor
  • King of the Hogs
  • frick Him!
« Reply #497 on: April 17, 2012, 04:48:41 PM »
I had the best setup ever at Yocum for Freshman year.  Scholarship paid for full room/board that I didn't use b/c I lived in the fraternity house but I took it anyways and was the "roommate" of a guy I knew in high school.  He even put sheets on the bed.  Perfect hideout to get some sleep or dodge some old heads.

i had the same setup - although i had a single room 10th floor   :borat:
Resonance...metal folding chairs or hard tile floors cannot be beaten when it comes to firing off a loud fart.

Offline ArkGuy

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #498 on: April 17, 2012, 05:30:39 PM »
That is definitely Yocum. The porch and rail gives it away. I spent three years there, trust me. You can tell in the back of the building that there is really not much behind it. Reid had the University medical clinic behind it.

Well, you wouldn't see the old medical center in that shot croped that way but you and Lash are right.  If that were Reid, you'd see the loading dock from that angle in the foreground.

Maybe I need to reconsider the book I'm wrting about what I spotted in the Zapruder film. :-\

Offline sec1

• A Shoat
  • woopig.net 3.0
« Reply #499 on: April 17, 2012, 05:58:49 PM »
Maybe someone can enlighten me. Why in the Starkville would a university want to get in the housing business?? They all do it and I have no idea how it can make financial sense at all for a university. I remember a few yrs ago after the first new one was built the architects/univ. staff etc. showed up with a new housing plan that basically wouldn't cash flow and of course the BoT told them to redo it. The capital cost, m &o cost, administrative cost, etc. Why do it?

It's gotta be a huge moneymaker. My oldest went to another southern flagship school with beautiful dorms, rooms for about $10,000 year. It was very shocking to see the dorms at Arkansas when we visited with my youngest, they definitely need the new ones if they want to keep recruiting from neighboring states. There's no doubt in my mind that the universities are making a nice bit of change on the dorms, especially with everyone using student loans and ignoring price tags these days.

WOOPIG.NET   © 2014  Jackson Technologies

Page created in 0.35 seconds with 20 queries.