Welcome, Guest! Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Enrollment, campus growth  (Read 92967 times)

Offline WPFM

• Administrator
  • King of the Hogs
  • greets apathy like an old friend
Re: Record enrollment official - 21,406 on campus in Fayetteville Fall 2010
« Reply #75 on: December 20, 2010, 06:17:51 PM »
*See the Top 10% 8% Rule
http://www.texastribune.org/texas-education/top-ten-percent-rule/?utm_source=texastribune.org&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=Tribune%20Feed:%20Main%20Feed

The top 10 percent rule is a provision that allowed for all Texas high school students who finished in the top 10 percent of their graduating class to be guaranteed admission at any public university in the state.

The intent of the rule was to promote ethnic diversity at Texas colleges and universities. The rule was changed in 2009 to guarantee admission to the University of Texas at Austin to the top 8 percent of high school seniors instead of the top 10 percent.

In 1997, the Texas Legislature approved HB 588 by Rep. Irma Rangel, D-Kingsville, which created the rule.

This bill was a response to the 1996 Hopwood v. Texas decision by the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals, which prohibited Texas universities from considering race in their admissions and financial aid decisions.
UT Austin, considered Texas' most prestigious university ( ), argued that the top 10 percent rule tied its hands in the admissions process, preventing it from admitting students outside the top 10 percent who were otherwise qualified. By 2008, 81 percent of incoming freshman at UT Austin were admitted under the top 10 percent rule.

In 2009, the Legislature passed SB 175 by state Sen. Florence Shapiro, R-Plano, specifically allowing UT Austin to cap the number of students admitted under the rule at 75 percent of the incoming class.  The rule change will take effect in the fall of 2011, effectively restricting automatic admission to UT Austin to students in the top 8 percent of their high school class.
Ya'll ever tried to suck a dick for 20 minutes?  It isn't easy.

Offline wmr

• Locally Grown, 100% Organic
  • King of the Hogs
  • (.) (.)
« Reply #76 on: March 28, 2011, 11:33:58 AM »
Freshmen to get priority in housing for first time; housing shortage is gettin redickulous; 23k on campus in the fall:

http://www.nwaonline.com/news/2011/mar/28/shortage-rooms-stretches-university-20110328/

LSU fans are tres gauche.

Offline chittlins

• Once got busy in a Burger King bathroom
  • Boar
  • It's a two sniff league
« Reply #77 on: March 28, 2011, 12:39:03 PM »
Freshmen to get priority in housing for first time; housing shortage is gettin redickulous; 23k on campus in the fall:

http://www.nwaonline.com/news/2011/mar/28/shortage-rooms-stretches-university-20110328/

the fact that they are comtemplating taking Hotz out of mothballs is telling.

They will have to use emminent domain if they want to undertake another Maple Hill somewhere.

Offline ColdPork

• Boar
« Reply #78 on: March 28, 2011, 12:40:38 PM »
Time to pitch a tent

Offline Sus-Scrofa

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #79 on: March 28, 2011, 12:51:06 PM »
the fact that they are comtemplating taking Hotz out of mothballs is telling.

They will have to use emminent domain if they want to undertake another Maple Hill somewhere.

They need to think long term.  Tear that POS down and put in a giant resident facility with paarking/deck garage in its place.  No need to clean it up for a year or two's use.

Offline wmr

• King of the Hogs
  • (.) (.)
« Reply #80 on: March 28, 2011, 01:00:22 PM »
The U of A just needs to go ahead and take all the properties bounded by Cleveland and North Street north and south, and Leverett/Garland east and west.  They should make Garland/North the entrance to campus, and put new  housing in that neighborhood.  

Offline NotoriousPIG

• Boar
« Reply #81 on: March 28, 2011, 10:06:57 PM »
Disallowing freshmen to have cars on campus would probably be a good idea as well.

Offline Shermy

• #thicke UTV
  • Boar
« Reply #82 on: March 29, 2011, 12:13:14 AM »
Disallowing freshmen to have cars on campus would probably be a good idea as well.

frick that. The parking really isn't that bad on campus.

Offline clintcommander

• Take it easy... and if its easy, take it twice!
  • Tush Hog
« Reply #83 on: March 29, 2011, 01:47:39 AM »
frick that. The parking really isn't that bad on campus.

for your bike?  It is terrible to try and find a spot ANYWHERE on campus.
Once upon a time, big fat titties, and they all lived happily ever after.
The End

Offline Count Porkula

• Mayor
  • King of the Hogs
  • frick Him!
« Reply #84 on: March 29, 2011, 08:20:41 AM »
for your bike?  It is terrible to try and find a spot ANYWHERE on campus.

that's the problem.  too many people trying to park right in the middle of campus.  lot 56 is almost deserted, but no, lazy assholes don't want to ride the bus, then complain when they cant find a spot.  #soapbox
Resonance...metal folding chairs or hard tile floors cannot be beaten when it comes to firing off a loud fart.

Offline LashHog

• is not dead in East End
  • King of the Hogs
  • WooPig
« Reply #85 on: March 29, 2011, 09:22:50 AM »
that's the problem.  too many people trying to park right in the middle of campus.  lot 56 is almost deserted, but no, lazy assholes don't want to ride the bus, then complain when they cant find a spot.  #soapbox
Exactly....I parked in the lot just west of the stadium, across Razorback Rd. and either walked or took the bus and had no problems. Parking isn't perfect, but it isn't that awful.
It is better to be a human being dissatisfied than a pig satisfied; better to be Socrates dissatisfied than a fool satisfied.

Offline PigsInSpace

• Tush Hog
« Reply #86 on: March 29, 2011, 09:26:53 AM »
Exactly....I parked in the lot just west of the stadium, across Razorback Rd. and either walked or took the bus and had no problems. Parking isn't perfect, but it isn't that awful.

That scholarship lot or the pit for me.  Long walk in the snow to the BA.
"Police and firefighters were on the scene in an effort to calm the situation. The mattress was extinguished." - WBIR, Knoxville

Offline Shermy

• #thicke UTV
  • Boar
« Reply #87 on: March 29, 2011, 12:01:02 PM »
Aren't the parking garages only like $200 a semester? With the way the lots are set up now--mostly around the dorms--it wouldn't make sense to now allow freshman to have cars.

Offline Count Porkula

• Mayor
  • King of the Hogs
  • frick Him!
« Reply #88 on: March 29, 2011, 12:26:30 PM »
Aren't the parking garages only like $200 a semester? With the way the lots are set up now--mostly around the dorms--it wouldn't make sense to now allow freshman to have cars.

the two new decks (harmon & Garland) are $575 a year for students and $650 for employees.  and neither one is full.  the stadium garage is $650 for students per year.
Resonance...metal folding chairs or hard tile floors cannot be beaten when it comes to firing off a loud fart.

Offline Shermy

• #thicke UTV
  • Boar
« Reply #89 on: March 29, 2011, 12:45:50 PM »
I parked in Harmon for three years. It was never more than half full.

Offline Sus-Scrofa

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #90 on: March 29, 2011, 12:51:02 PM »
the two new decks (harmon & Garland) are $575 a year for students and $650 for employees.  and neither one is full.  the stadium garage is $650 for students per year.

I gambled in the union deck.  Usually my tickets in a given year were less than the parking pass price.

Offline Splurge

• is crawling on his belly clearing out what could have been
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #91 on: March 29, 2011, 01:47:50 PM »

One of the best $6 I've ever spent (my last semester) and that was after they actually started charging for it.  I think it was the Red line?  Dropped off at good spots, too.  Pit, Union, BA, a convenient swing by Pomfret so that you might get peek at a exhibtionist co-ed, and boom, back down.  Like a 5 min. loop.  It was free for a long time, too.

Offline LashHog

• King of the Hogs
  • WooPig
« Reply #92 on: March 29, 2011, 02:37:55 PM »
One of the best $6 I've ever spent (my last semester) and that was after they actually started charging for it.  I think it was the Red line?  Dropped off at good spots, too.  Pit, Union, BA, a convenient swing by Pomfret so that you might get peek at a exhibtionist co-ed, and boom, back down.  Like a 5 min. loop.  It was free for a long time, too.
They charge for the bus now? It was free when I was up there just a few years ago.
It is better to be a human being dissatisfied than a pig satisfied; better to be Socrates dissatisfied than a fool satisfied.

Offline Count Porkula

• Mayor
  • King of the Hogs
  • frick Him!
« Reply #93 on: March 29, 2011, 02:40:47 PM »
They charge for the bus now? It was free when I was up there just a few years ago.

no, it is still free.  it has to be due to federal law

Offline Splurge

• is crawling on his belly clearing out what could have been
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #94 on: March 29, 2011, 03:19:01 PM »

No, the parking pass.  $6/year for the commuter lot.

Offline LashHog

• King of the Hogs
  • WooPig
« Reply #95 on: March 29, 2011, 03:33:45 PM »
No, the parking pass.  $6/year for the commuter lot.
Gotcha...I misunderstood. Yeah I never even considered the other parking passes, the off-campus pass was fine with me. Of course, I never lived on campus so it was easier for me to park that far away, I can see a girl wanting to park right by her dorm when she has to leave alone at night.

Offline Tanny Bogus

• Haunting Wickes since the mid-50's
  • Boar
  • Longtime Fan of Randolph Mantooth
I don't know about the architecture school's ranking, but I think most people consider it to be one of the best schools at the UA.  I feel it is the toughest program at the UA.
It's just about kicked my ass. My doctor got a BArch before he went to med school and he said Arch school was harder. 

Offline wmr

• King of the Hogs
  • (.) (.)
« Reply #97 on: April 26, 2011, 11:41:51 PM »
I can't remember if I posted this on here yet or not.  For those not in Fayetteville, they've broken ground on this.  Its the Pi Beta Phi Gate, which will be located on Maple Street.  The small horseshoe parking there is going away, and the brick "campus walk" that goes behind Old Main is going to be extended out to the new gate.

I figured this would be a good thread for campus growth, enrollment news, etc.

Offline wmr

• King of the Hogs
  • (.) (.)
Re: Enrollment, campus growth
« Reply #98 on: April 26, 2011, 11:44:33 PM »
And here's a little article showing that Arkansas is one of the fastest growing state universities in the nation per applications.  Our applications were over 14,000 last year.  That leads me to believe that we are actually being more selective.  We could be growing a lot faster.

http://www.infozine.com/news/stories/op/storiesView/sid/47173/

Offline wmr

• King of the Hogs
  • (.) (.)
Re: Enrollment, campus growth
« Reply #99 on: April 26, 2011, 11:46:45 PM »
And this article from the Traveler states that next year's freshman class is already 4,400 and growing.  Last year was a record at 3,900.  We might have over 23,000 students in Fayetteville next Fall.  Crazy.

http://www.uatrav.com/2011/campus-prepares-for-growth/

WOOPIG.NET   © 2014  Jackson Technologies

Page created in 0.246 seconds with 20 queries.