Welcome, Guest! Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Mitch Mustain did what?  (Read 68136 times)

Online TC

• Boar
Re: Mitch Mustain did what?
« Reply #225 on: December 13, 2011, 12:21:21 PM »
Best of luck to the guy.  Enlisting as a collage grad.  he should be able to go the officer route, do his 20, and get a pretty damned good retirement with benefits.  Not shabby.

What I think gets lost on so many with the Nutt/Mustain fiasco is that it was year 7 or 8 of Nutt's tenure at Arkansas,  AND HE WAS STARTING A TRUE FRESHMAN!  Think about that.  It wasn't like we were losing QB's early to the NFL. 

Offline tbaker///

• Wild Hog
  • woopig.net
« Reply #226 on: December 13, 2011, 12:37:22 PM »
I wonder if the same fans who get so up in arms about Mustain's mom getting involved are the same moviegoers who went "you go girl!" when Sandra Bullock showed Hugh Freeze Cotton a thing or two in The Blind Side.

Online TC

• Boar
« Reply #227 on: December 13, 2011, 12:40:23 PM »
I wonder if the same fans who get so up in arms about Mustain's mom getting involved are the same moviegoers who went "you go girl!" when Sandra Bullock showed Hugh Freeze Cotton a thing or two in The Blind Side.

Yes.  And nary a one said aMm when it was Matt Jones' dad.

Online HogTat

• It's in my nature
  • Boar
« Reply #228 on: December 13, 2011, 12:40:39 PM »
He won't even have to be a very good shot to hit Prewett.

When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in confederacy against him.

Offline shortstop6

• Cooled-Out Buddhist Cowboy
  • Administrator
  • Boar
  • Lathed from solid envy, thick with menace.
« Reply #229 on: December 13, 2011, 12:41:19 PM »
Yes.  And nary a one said aMm when it was Matt Jones' dad.

Or the Dick boys' mom & dad...
I'm an outdoorsman.  I like getting drunk on patios.

Online Arkansas Proud

• Admins be changing my title daily
  • King of the Hogs
  • The better half
« Reply #230 on: December 13, 2011, 12:57:28 PM »
Mitch had raw talent but it needed refining big time. That was evident during the all star game before he ever walked on campus. He was horrible and his weaknesses were exposed.

But still looked as good as the #1 pick in the draft 2 years later.  It's amazing how much better the QBs get after their freshman year.
"I completely agree." -- Stephen Coalboar on August 22, 2014 at 11:39 a.m.

Offline Tim Calhoun

• Boar
  • hrm
« Reply #231 on: December 13, 2011, 01:01:17 PM »
But still looked as good as the #1 pick in the draft 2 years later.  It's amazing how much better the QBs get after their freshman year.

ahhhh... the classic Stafford vs Mustain thread.  We (Hogs fans) really got our ass kicked on that one.

Offline shortstop6

• Administrator
  • Boar
« Reply #232 on: December 13, 2011, 01:14:00 PM »
It's amazing how much better the QBs get after their freshman year.

motherfricker whut?

Online Stephen Hawging

• Jeff Long Darksider #000001
  • Wild Hog
  • Plundering taintfolds and taking names
« Reply #233 on: December 13, 2011, 01:19:26 PM »
Despite his arrest, I was surprised to read he was a long-time taker of Vyvanse.  These ADHD meds are basically pharmaceutical meth.  (Adderall IS meth).  You can utilize it to jack up scholastic performance in short bursts, but NOBODY can perform at a consistent high level of athletic performance on that aMm.  It just ain't possible.  He didn't need to "fight harder" for a starting position, he needed to detox. 

For me, this is the last piece of the puzzle, and it all makes sense now. 

Good luck, Mitch.
THIS SEASON BROUGHT TO YOU BY AMERICA'S ATHLETIC DIRECTOR, JEFF LONG!!!!

Implores you bitches to just accept the unyielding, planet-crushing black hole karma of Razorback Football.

Offline Peanut Adams

• i didn't go to high school, i bought one.
  • Tush Hog
  • pincher of harmonics
« Reply #234 on: December 13, 2011, 01:52:42 PM »
Despite his arrest, I was surprised to read he was a long-time taker of Vyvanse.  These ADHD meds are basically pharmaceutical meth.  (Adderall IS meth).  You can utilize it to jack up scholastic performance in short bursts, but NOBODY can perform at a consistent high level of athletic performance on that aMm.  It just ain't possible.  He didn't need to "fight harder" for a starting position, he needed to detox. 

For me, this is the last piece of the puzzle, and it all makes sense now. 

Good luck, Mitch.
actually some athletes take the substance for this exact reason, to enhance performance.

ultimately just a sad story. i would think having a degree from usc, he should be able to find a hog fan at walmarks,hunt,tyson to hook him up. not that selling used cars is a bad job, but just having to continuously interatct with the public in northwest arkansas could be traumatic, given the fans we have.

Offline TheOtherWhiteMeat

• Administrator
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #235 on: December 13, 2011, 01:53:14 PM »
I don't really think Kristi Malzahn is crazy at all

:stache:

Online HogTat

• It's in my nature
  • Boar
When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in confederacy against him.

Offline Razor B

• Tush Hog
« Reply #237 on: December 13, 2011, 02:20:37 PM »
Yes I did. My statement was more of a comment on Mrs. Malzahn's perceived craziness than Becks. I don't think Beck is that crazy...but she is a little crazy. Her son was screwed over but she did not handle any of it extremely well and while I don't think she is close to the "little league parent" many claim her to be, she could have handled things much better. I don't really think Kristi Malzahn is crazy at all, so Beck being crazier than her doesn't mean a whole lot.

Explain how you think Beck handled the situation. 

Offline asshat

• Tush Hog
  • Hates all things Auburn
    • please click here to see the World Famous Artist Sean Terrence Best !!
« Reply #238 on: December 13, 2011, 02:25:53 PM »
I only assume the current players on the team have parents.

I've known that Mitch Mustain has a mother named Beck since MM's senior year at Springdale.

FWIW I have known the Keihl Frazier has a "dad" named Robin Beach since he was a Sophomore.
Quote from: Duckman
This is exactly where we are at, dead on:  To everyone that is hushing the Gruden talk, stop it, there IS a deal in place...

Offline LashHog

• is not dead in East End
  • King of the Hogs
  • WooPig
« Reply #239 on: December 13, 2011, 02:29:17 PM »
Explain how you think Beck handled the situation.
Constantly lurking on message boards for any opportunity to defend her son, telling everyone around that would listen that the whole university needed to burn for the way her son was treated....even after everyone involved in that situation was gone. Those two things were terrible decisions.
It is better to be a human being dissatisfied than a pig satisfied; better to be Socrates dissatisfied than a fool satisfied.

Online HogofWar

• Boar
  • Tits Out, Captain.
« Reply #240 on: December 13, 2011, 02:43:46 PM »

Offline HogInHornLand

• A Shoat
  • Ferocious, aren't I?
« Reply #241 on: December 13, 2011, 03:22:33 PM »
This post is probably not going to be popular, but...

From the article:

When Dick was injured before the start of the 2006 season, the job went to Mustain. Mustain led Arkansas to eight consecutive victories. But leading up to the ninth game of the year against South Carolina, Nutt noticed a shift in Mustain's demeanor.
"It looked like something was really wrong," Nutt said. "At South Carolina, he threw a pick in the first series. Dick went in and won a huge game."

No, the job went to Robert Johnson after Dick was injured, not Mustain.  Mustain came in at the end of the USC game only after all of the Trojans' penii were fully inserted into our rectum.  Only after that game was he named the starter.

Second, we won several of those now-famous eight consecutive games in spite of Mustain, not because of him.  I agree with much of what has been said about Mustain's situation in this thread (i.e. he was under an enormous amount of pressure and was undoubtedly a victim of QB Killa's "development"), but to say that his getting pulled against S.C. came out of nowhere is revisionist history:

9/9/2006 - Utah State: "Darren McFadden ran 184 yards, making Mitch Mustain (9 for 17, 119 yards) a winner in his first college start..."

9/23/2006 - Alabama: Mustain goes 7 for 22, 99 yards with 1 TD to 3 INT (it should also be noted that this was the infamous Leigh Tiffin meltdown game)

10/7/2006 - Auburn: Mustain goes 7 for 10, 87 yards and 1 TD, with 50 of those yards coming on one (phenomenal) catch and run by Marcus Monk

10/14/2006 - Southeast Missouri State: in a 63-7 blowout, Mustain goes...wait for it...5 for 13 for 51 yards.   :stunned:  Casey Dick actually replaced Mustain in the third quarter of this game and went 8 for 9, 98 yards and 2 TDs. Although against a ferocious opponent like SEMO, I'm not sure you can read too much into the box score.

He did have a couple of good games (Vandy, Ole Miss), but I would argue he was hardly the driving force behind that 8-0 start.  I think it was a combination of the McFadden/Jones/Hillis/Smith backfield and a largely-new offense (Malzahn's) that our opponents hadn't seen before and weren't prepared for.

All that being said, I wish him luck as well. I never knew him personally of course, but I enjoyed watching him play and the excitement around that season.

Now I'll go get that screen door ready.
We'll get that corrected at halftime...

Offline Sliver72

• Doesn't roll on Shabbos.
  • Boar
« Reply #242 on: December 13, 2011, 03:23:31 PM »
Constantly lurking on message boards for any opportunity to defend her son, telling everyone around that would listen that the whole university needed to burn for the way her son was treated....even after everyone involved in that situation was gone. Those two things were terrible decisions.
link?
...as for me and my house, we will call the Hogs.

Offline Peanut Adams

• i didn't go to high school, i bought one.
  • Tush Hog
  • pincher of harmonics
« Reply #243 on: December 13, 2011, 03:32:04 PM »
link?
your half-page fairydusting anime mural is annoying and ghey. :rainbow:

Offline asshat

• Tush Hog
  • Hates all things Auburn
    • please click here to see the World Famous Artist Sean Terrence Best !!
Quote from: Duckman
This is exactly where we are at, dead on:  To everyone that is hushing the Gruden talk, stop it, there IS a deal in place...

Offline cooter

• Boar
« Reply #245 on: December 13, 2011, 04:19:32 PM »
Best of luck to the guy.  Enlisting as a collage grad.  he should be able to go the officer route, do his 20, and get a pretty damned good retirement with benefits.  Not shabby.

What I think gets lost on so many with the Nutt/Mustain fiasco is that it was year 7 or 8 of Nutt's tenure at Arkansas,  AND HE WAS STARTING A TRUE FRESHMAN!  Think about that.  It wasn't like we were losing QB's early to the NFL.

I admire him if he goes in but he needs to go the officer route with the education he has.  Enlisting is for poor dumb country boys with no education like I was.  Wherever you go you have to set yourself up to be as successful as you can.  If he is enlisting in the Marines though, he's probably not thinking of making a career of it.  It would do the boy wonders if he could stick it out.

Offline HipHog

• Resident Racist and Pedophile
  • King of the Hogs
  • Coming soon to the semi weekly Detention report
« Reply #246 on: December 13, 2011, 04:20:14 PM »

From the article:

No, the job went to Robert Johnson after Dick was injured, not Mustain.  Mustain came in at the end of the USC game only after all of the Trojans' penii were fully inserted into our rectum.  Only after that game was he named the starter.

Second, we won several of those now-famous eight consecutive games in spite of Mustain, not because of him.  I agree with much of what has been said about Mustain's situation in this thread (i.e. he was under an enormous amount of pressure and was undoubtedly a victim of QB Killa's "development"), but to say that his getting pulled against S.C. came out of nowhere is revisionist history:

9/9/2006 - Utah State: "Darren McFadden ran 184 yards, making Mitch Mustain (9 for 17, 119 yards) a winner in his first college start..."

9/23/2006 - Alabama: Mustain goes 7 for 22, 99 yards with 1 TD to 3 INT (it should also be noted that this was the infamous Leigh Tiffin meltdown game)

10/7/2006 - Auburn: Mustain goes 7 for 10, 87 yards and 1 TD, with 50 of those yards coming on one (phenomenal) catch and run by Marcus Monk

10/14/2006 - Southeast Missouri State: in a 63-7 blowout, Mustain goes...wait for it...5 for 13 for 51 yards.   :stunned:  Casey Dick actually replaced Mustain in the third quarter of this game and went 8 for 9, 98 yards and 2 TDs. Although against a ferocious opponent like SEMO, I'm not sure you can read too much into the box score.

He did have a couple of good games (Vandy, Ole Miss), but I would argue he was hardly the driving force behind that 8-0 start.  I think it was a combination of the McFadden/Jones/Hillis/Smith backfield and a largely-new offense (Malzahn's) that our opponents hadn't seen before and weren't prepared for.

All that being said, I wish him luck as well. I never knew him personally of course, but I enjoyed watching him play and the excitement around that season.

so how did the team do after he was benched?
"I played seven years in the NBA," Mayberry said. "But nothing can take away the time I had over here playing for Coach Richardson. They were the best years of my life. Arkansas fans are the best."

Offline Pig

• Wild Hog
  • BLT's are so darn tasty!
« Reply #247 on: December 13, 2011, 04:32:04 PM »
Only saw the boy wonder in person once, in Nashville.
Came back raving to wifey:  "He can make all the throws!  He's our first real QB since Joe Ferguson!"
Now guess hoping he'll be the next Roger Staubach.

Offline shortstop6

• Administrator
  • Boar
« Reply #248 on: December 13, 2011, 04:45:53 PM »

From the article:

I never had an issue w/ Mustain getting the now-infamous "quick trigger."  My issue was that he never saw the light of day again. 

The same "quick trigger" never pulled while Casey Dick went 3/17 for 29 yards with 1 TD and 1 INT.  Mustain never stepped on the field while Nutt's "Undefeated in the Rock" went down the shitter.

Or against Florida in the SECCG.  Mustain played 1 snap.  A QB draw for 2 yards.  Dick was 10/22 for 148 with 1 TD and 2 INTs in a 10-point loss.

Cap1 Bowl?  Dick was 9/21 for 98 yards and 1 INT.  Mustain 5/10 for 41 yards and 1 INT.

That's all you need to know about Houston Nutt as a coach.  Stafford got benched, got his head on straight and the rest is history.  Mustain wasn't stellar but he was at least as good as Dick - Nutt's ego was never going to risk Mustain doing something heroic and becoming the star of the team.  Nutt was the star of that team and every other Arkansas team for 10 years.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 04:55:46 PM by shortstop6 »

Offline Law_Hawg

• Placidly murderous giant
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #249 on: December 13, 2011, 04:52:32 PM »
so how did the team do after he was benched?

This is an interesting statement and it ties in with the current Tebow situation in Denver.

Mustain played well enough when he was the starter.  He wasn't spectacular, but with the other players we had on offense and a decent enough defense, he didn't need to be spectacular. 

Same with Tebow in Denver now.  Sure, he's not spectacular, but they are winning with him starting.

We went 2-3 in the last 5 games that year with Dick starting (wins over Tennessee and aMm and losses to LSU, Florida, and Wisconsin), although you can sort of put that at 3-3, because Dick played all but the first series in the South Carolina game.   
Caedite eos! Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.

WOOPIG.NET   © 2014  Jackson Technologies

Page created in 0.352 seconds with 20 queries.