Welcome, Guest! Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Mitch Mustain did what?  (Read 67816 times)

Offline Where Eagles Dare

• A Shoat
  • woopig.net 3.0
Re: Mitch Mustain did what?
« Reply #450 on: February 03, 2012, 04:01:57 PM »
I Kan't say I've ever been to Harrison, but I hear the Kountry up there is beautiful. Especially during the Fall when nature's Kolors begin to change. I dunno. Maybe the person who told me that was feeding me a line of Krap.

Everyone knows the Klan is in Lead Hill, and not Harrison.  Ever since Fed Ex moved there, the wealthiest people in Harrison are black.

Offline BigTrail

• six pack smack
  • Wild Hog
  • Have a big glass.
« Reply #451 on: February 03, 2012, 07:18:20 PM »
I have just read the last couple pages of this thread, so let me get this straight:

MustStain is thinking of playing baseball for some clan?
Carry a big stick and leave a big trail.

Offline Porkrinds

• Boar
« Reply #452 on: February 09, 2012, 10:01:54 PM »
Just read he signed a minor league deal with the White Sox. Good for him.

Offline pinkphiloyd

• will eat your babies, bitch.
  • Boar
« Reply #453 on: February 09, 2012, 10:10:21 PM »

I just read that it was a Major one.

http://nwahomepage.com/fulltext-news?nxd_id=306192
I can't explain it; there's some kind of weird chemical reaction that happens when you combine cat food, beer, and glue.  It makes you feel, like, really sick and tired and you're able to fall asleep.

Offline cooter

• Boar
« Reply #454 on: February 09, 2012, 11:02:33 PM »
He put the Marines on hold to put the Arena on hold to pitch and catch baseball?  This boy needs to pick a sport to fail at like the rest of us and get on with his life.

Offline gambler

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #455 on: February 10, 2012, 08:48:16 AM »

MustStain is thinking of playing baseball for some clan?

Hmmmm.

Online Sus-Scrofa

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #456 on: February 10, 2012, 09:03:12 AM »
Hundreds and hundreds of experienced pitchers and you ink a guy who used to play football in college and hasn't played baseball since highschool?

Offline Rob

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #457 on: February 10, 2012, 09:11:43 AM »
Hundreds and hundreds of experienced pitchers and you ink a guy who used to play football in college and hasn't played baseball since highschool?

Mitch Mustain is putting his football career on hold.

To play baseball.

Mustain, the Springdale product who played at both Arkansas and Southern Cal, has signed a contract with the Chicago White Sox. He is expected to report to Glendale, Arizona for White Sox Camp next month.

It was in January that (I first told folks via Twitter) Mustain worked out for scouts from the White Sox. He was said to be throwing in the 90s despite not throwing since his sophomore year of high school in 2003-04.

“I’m confident I’ll get back in shape pretty quick for it,” Mustain told TV station KFSM. “They’re going to give me an opportunity to face batters and get my feet wet, no matter what happens. …

“I’m going to throw everything I have at it and see how it goes.”

Apparently the White Sox have a history of giving former quarterbacks a shot. Here’s more from CSNChicago:

The White Sox have a decade-long tradition of acquiring former college quarterbacks, for what it's worth. Joe Borchard played QB at Stanford, Josh Fields was a signal-caller for Les Miles at Oklahoma State and Clayton Richard backed up Chad Henne at Michigan.

Mustain, a USA Today/Parade Magazine player of the year in football, said that sport remains an option, but he wants to give baseball a try. He was set to play football with the Georgia Force of the AFL.

Tagged: Arkansas Razorbacks, Mitch Mustain, USC Trojans, Chicago White Sox

Comments

Offline jacobp

• A Shoat
« Reply #458 on: February 10, 2012, 09:15:54 AM »
White Sox guys was saying they're pretty confident that with some work they can get his fastball in the 92-95 range.  Has a chance to be a solid reliever/closer.

We'll see, I guess.

Offline Stephen Colboar

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #459 on: February 10, 2012, 10:47:28 AM »
Low-risk/High-reward

Without looking, I'll tell you he didn't sign for much at all. Signing is more of a formality. They want to work with him at spring training and really see what they think they can get out of him... then he has to work his way up through the system...  then, if he makes the big club, he'll get a pay raise based on effectiveness/league minimum/etc.

Why are people baffled by this? It's not normal to hop off a couch and hit 90. That's a valuable raw commodity that the White Sox have jumped on.

Offline cooter

• Boar
« Reply #460 on: February 10, 2012, 11:17:48 AM »
Low-risk/High-reward

Without looking, I'll tell you he didn't sign for much at all. Signing is more of a formality. They want to work with him at spring training and really see what they think they can get out of him... then he has to work his way up through the system...  then, if he makes the big club, he'll get a pay raise based on effectiveness/league minimum/etc.

Why are people baffled by this? It's not normal to hop off a couch and hit 90. That's a valuable raw commodity that the White Sox have jumped on.

I would think that they may also be salivating at an elbow that hasn't been overworked either.

Offline Stephen Colboar

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #461 on: February 10, 2012, 12:12:11 PM »
I would think that they may also be salivating at an elbow that hasn't been overworked either.
Exactly.

It's a low-risk investment plain and simple.

Online Phat_Hawg

• Has pulled more tail than a slow kid at a petting zoo
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #462 on: February 10, 2012, 01:10:39 PM »

There aren't hundreds and hundreds of experience pitchers that can consistently throw a fastball 92 to 95 MPH.  Baseball team finds someone who can do that then definately they're going to give him a look. 
Homies help homes.......always

Offline muslimsdonteatme

• Thunderbolt of Flaming Wisdom
  • Administrator
  • Tush Hog
  • Thunderbolt of Flaming Wisdom
« Reply #463 on: February 10, 2012, 05:12:46 PM »
There aren't hundreds and hundreds of experience pitchers that can consistently throw a fastball 92 to 95 MPH.  Baseball team finds someone who can do that then definately they're going to give him a look.

No doubt.

Good for Mustain.  I'm happy for him, and hope it works out. 

If nothing else, it might shut some stupid motherfuckers up about him if he made a team and did some things.

Offline Mike Slive

• Boar
« Reply #464 on: February 10, 2012, 10:03:44 PM »
Does Mustain have an agent? I've seen this guy in the news everyday for like 2 months. He has another appearance on KNWA tonight.

Offline Boondock Hogs

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #465 on: February 10, 2012, 11:03:09 PM »
Exactly.  It's pretty rare for a pitcher to throw in the 90's.  Much less be able to do it with very little time training beforehand.

Mustain was royally fricked by the old establishment and he deserves every good thing that comes his way. 

Offline Pumpkin Escobar

• Rocky Mountain High
  • King of the Hogs
  • An image of excellence.
« Reply #466 on: February 11, 2012, 12:17:35 AM »
Exactly.  It's pretty rare for a pitcher to throw in the 90's.  Much less be able to do it with very little time training beforehand.

Mustain was royally fricked by the old establishment and he deserves every good thing that comes his way.

He will still have to show command. There are guys who can throw 95+ at 17 who end up only throwing 90-95 as they hit AA and higher because they have to sacrifice velocity for command. There also is the matter of what kind of "stuff" he has. You'd like to see some movement on his pitches so he isn't easy to make contact with. I wish the kid luck but unless he has absolutely filthy stuff, he will have really have to learn to be more of a finesse pitcher and keep batters off balance by changing speeds and displaying great command which will take a few years if it happens at all.
An té nach leigheasann im nó uisce beatha, ní aon leigheas ar.

Tiocfaidh ár lá! Éireann go brách!

Offline TC

• Boar
« Reply #467 on: February 11, 2012, 12:24:58 AM »

He will still have to show command. There are guys who can throw 95+ at 17 who end up only throwing 90-95 as they hit AA and higher because they have to sacrifice velocity for command. There also is the matter of what kind of "stuff" he has. You'd like to see some movement on his pitches so he isn't easy to make contact with. I wish the kid luck but unless he has absolutely filthy stuff, he will have really have to learn to be more of a finesse pitcher and keep batters off balance by changing speeds and displaying great command which will take a few years if it happens at all.

Well said.  You can throw 98 all day every day, but if you have no movement on it you'll get rocked.

Offline Hogwildpigcrazy

• Tush Hog
« Reply #468 on: February 11, 2012, 04:31:12 PM »
Well I hope he gets called up and makes the World Series.

I hope they are down by 3 runs in game 7 and he comes in and saves the game.

I hope immediately after the game some dumbass reporter asks him how it feels and he looks directly in the camera and says "frick YOU HOUSTON NUTT YOU fricking IDIOTIC aMm FOR BRAINS MOTHERFUCKING NO COACHING NO RECRUITING BITCH ASS DORK"

Then walk away laughing.

I would be satisfied with that.
Our founding fathers would have been shooting by now.

Offline littlerayofsunshine

• Wild Hog
  • Bitches, rub your titties if you love Big Poppa...
« Reply #469 on: February 11, 2012, 08:30:29 PM »
I would be satisfied if he'd just mail me some Adderall.
"A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism."  - Carl Sagan

Offline ArkGuy

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #470 on: February 11, 2012, 08:43:40 PM »
In what year did "control" become "command?"  You hear that all the time now.
"As the leader of all illegal activities in Casablanca, I am an influential and respected man."

Offline Death By Sooiecide

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #471 on: February 11, 2012, 09:36:55 PM »
In what year did "control" become "command?"  You hear that all the time now.
Not sure but I am willing to bet Joe Morgan had something to do with it.

Offline Boondock Hogs

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #472 on: February 11, 2012, 09:38:06 PM »

Agreed.  But low 90's with extremely limited experience can quickly, and by quickly I mean a year or two, become high 90's with coaching and critique, even with command.  Movement can be taught to a point simply because of wrist movement and finger placement.  Yes I'm over-simplifying it a bit but I'm an damn optimist.   :thumbup:

Offline Hogtired

• Boar
« Reply #473 on: February 12, 2012, 10:30:59 AM »
Well I hope he gets called up and makes the World Series.

I hope they are down by 3 runs in game 7 and he comes in and saves wins game.

I hope immediately after the game some dumbass reporter asks him how it feels and he looks directly in the camera and says "frick YOU Hootie YOU fricking IDIOTIC aMm FOR BRAINS mfricking NO COACHING NO RECRUITING BITCH ASS DORK"

Then walk away laughing.

I would be satisfied with that.
AYFSM?

Offline papermill

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #474 on: February 12, 2012, 04:27:59 PM »
So how long before some female wacko Kannapolis Intimidators fan writes a "Dear Mr. Home Run King" letter?

WOOPIG.NET   © 2014  Jackson Technologies

Page created in 0.328 seconds with 21 queries.