Welcome, Guest! Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Razorback Classics  (Read 33921 times)

Offline ElvisHog

• Where have you gone Walter Cronkite, and why have you been replaced by the likes of woopig.net?
  • Administrator
  • King of the Hogs
Re: Razorback Classics
« Reply #100 on: July 21, 2011, 10:47:28 AM »
Lots of good stuff in that broadcast.

Actually seeing Dan Hampton play.
Watching the wishbone.
Seeing Nutt "throw it to grandma"..."even Wilt Chamberlain would have had a hard time catching that one".
"Houston Nutt's career as a running QB has lost 78 yards"
Nutt wincing right before his ass got slammed to the ground.
Monte Kiffin's defense.
The actual "neutral zone" at the line of scrimmage. I need to Google to see what that was. It seemed the defense was a yard back from the ball. Makes those QB sneaks really effective.

I was shocked at how small guys looked...but also how guys were flying all over the place. Just watched the first half...I'll watch the second half later today.

razorwire

« Reply #101 on: July 21, 2011, 10:52:03 AM »
What were the 3 guys suspended for?
 If my memory serves, they were suspended for porking some white waitress chick in the athletic dorm that Barry S sent over from OU.  Didn't matter.  It was the first year after the Broyles era and we were loaded with running backs.  (passing was just getting reintroduced)  We had Calcagny at QB (Col. Reb our starting QB had been run off by Lou to OSU) and Bobby Duckworth (Dropworth) as his main receiver.  He meant well and played hard just hadn't had much experience catching a ball.

The game itself was glorius.  Got free tickets and sat in the end zone.  My wife and I also were able to drink free peppermint scnappes from two drunk OU students seated in front of us.  Yes, it was nasty; but, the price was right.  It took them until the fourth quarter to realize that the symbol on the front of my red cowboy hat was a pig.  I was surprised they didn't become suspicious from the almost continous yelling and sheet every couple of minutes each time we scored.   :helmet:      

Offline BigDavis

• Squirrel hater
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #102 on: July 21, 2011, 10:54:12 AM »
 If my memory serves, they were suspended for porking some white waitress chick in the athletic dorm that Barry S sent over from OU.  Didn't matter.  It was the first year after the Broyles era and we were loaded with running backs.  (passing was just getting reintroduced)  We had Calcagny at QB (Col. Reb our starting QB had been run off by Lou to OSU) and Bobby Duckworth (Dropworth) as his main receiver.  He meant well and played hard just hadn't had much experience catching a ball.

The game itself was glorius.  Got free tickets and sat in the end zone.  My wife and I also were able to drink free peppermint scnappes from two drunk OU students seated in front of us.  Yes, it was nasty; but, the price was right.  It took them until the fourth quarter to realize that the symbol on the front of my red cowboy hat was a pig.  I was surprised they didn't become suspicious from the almost continous yelling and sheet every couple of minutes each time we scored.   :helmet:      

Actually this was the game right before Hootie ran off. He plays a little in this game.

Offline Rob

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #103 on: July 21, 2011, 10:54:53 AM »
Lots of good stuff in that broadcast.

Actually seeing Dan Hampton play.
Watching the wishbone.
Seeing Nutt "throw it to grandma"..."even Wilt Chamberlain would have had a hard time catching that one".
"Houston Nutt's career as a running QB has lost 78 yards"
Nutt wincing right before his ass got slammed to the ground.
Monte Kiffin's defense.
The actual "neutral zone" at the line of scrimmage. I need to Google to see what that was. It seemed the defense was a yard back from the ball. Makes those QB sneaks really effective.

I was shocked at how small guys looked...but also how guys were flying all over the place. Just watched the first half...I'll watch the second half later today.
D use to have to line up a yard off the ball.  Also did you notice how far back the Oline was behind the center.  Made for some hard ass collisions.

Offline ElvisHog

• Where have you gone Walter Cronkite, and why have you been replaced by the likes of woopig.net?
  • Administrator
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #104 on: July 21, 2011, 11:03:50 AM »
D use to have to line up a yard off the ball.  Also did you notice how far back the Oline was behind the center.  Made for some hard ass collisions.

Ah....I bet that contributed to how it seemed everyone was flying around. Put two yards between linemen and they get a chance to build up some steam.

Offline Pork Soda

• ...Tapenade
  • Tush Hog
« Reply #105 on: July 21, 2011, 11:19:57 AM »
Ah....I bet that contributed to how it seemed everyone was flying around. Put two yards between linemen and they get a chance to build up some steam.

If you ever get a chance to watch a CFL game, this is one of the interesting rules differences between their game and ours.  They still use a 1-yard neutral zone, whereas we have something like the length of the football.  If the linesman happens to be paying any attention at all.  The only thing at all interesting about Canadian football is trying to figure out the rules differences, to be honest.  Eh.

Offline big_pig

• King of the Hogs
  • Avatars were made to be broken, but not this one!
« Reply #106 on: July 21, 2011, 11:49:56 AM »
A good ol' fashioned athletic dorm gang bang!  Just some good ol' boys, just having some fun.  Beat anything you saw, been in trouble with the law, since the day they were born. 

Probably the first in a proud tradition of gang bangs down in Wilson Sharpe.

Not cool man...that's someone's mother.
I am not claiming I am right, I am saying I don't get it.

Offline Thin Red Swine

• King of the Hogs
  • Busting down the door...
« Reply #107 on: July 21, 2011, 12:31:52 PM »

Seeing Colonel Reb "throw it to grandma"..."even Wilt Chamberlain would have had a hard time catching that one".
"Colonel Reb's career as a running QB has lost 78 yards"
Colonel Reb wincing right before his ass got slammed to the ground.

And yet, miraculously, he didn't get that call on NFL draft day.

I'll take any amount bet that the ol' Kernel saw his one and only piece of Orange Bowl championship bling that year.

I think it has to be the whole leg and not just pieces.

Offline asshat

• Tush Hog
  • Hates all things Auburn
    • please click here to see the World Famous Artist Sean Terrence Best !!
« Reply #108 on: July 21, 2011, 12:34:53 PM »

I'll take any amount bet that the ol' Kernel saw his one and only piece of Orange Bowl championship bling that year.

Sold it for oSu tats?
Quote from: Duckman
This is exactly where we are at, dead on:  To everyone that is hushing the Gruden talk, stop it, there IS a deal in place...

Offline NotoriousPIG

• Boar
« Reply #109 on: July 21, 2011, 12:37:25 PM »

This also could've been by design.  Didn't Holtz say he picked up something in the way OU o-line took their first step so we knew where the play was going?

Offline BigDavis

• Squirrel hater
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #110 on: July 21, 2011, 12:49:35 PM »
This also could've been by design.  Didn't Holtz say he picked up something in the way OU o-line took their first step so we knew where the play was going?

I remember hearing it was something about the way they lined up before the play that let him know which way the play was going.

Offline TheOtherWhiteMeat

• Administrator
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #111 on: July 21, 2011, 01:02:31 PM »
Since clicking on the link I posted earlier was too hard I did a copy and paste for you:

In the spring and summer of 1977 Lou Holtz quickly engaged the state, touring Razorback Clubs and entertaining fans with magic tricks and one-liners. The preseason polls ranked Arkansas no higher than 5th in the SWC, but they underestimated the wiry Ohioan's coaching abilities.

Holtz took the team Broyles had left and molded them into winners. The offense was led by quarterback Ron Calcagni, running backs Ben Cowins and Michael Forrest, and wide receiver Donny Bobo and averaged 33 points per game. The defense was equally up to the task, holding 8 opponents to less than 10 points. They were led by defensive tackles Dan Hampton and Jimmy Walker, linebacker Larry Jackson, and strong safety Howard Sampson.

The Hogs finished the regular season 10-1 and ranked #6 in the country. The only loss was a close one to Texas at Fayetteville 13-9. Late in the season after it was announced Arkansas would make their first trip to the Orange Bowl to take on #2 Oklahoma, fans threw oranges onto the field as the game ended and Holtz quipped, "I'm just glad we're not going to the Gator Bowl."

The Razorbacks were already installed as underdogs in the game when Holtz stunned everyone by suspending Cowins, Forrest, and Bobo for violating team rules. Cowins had rushed for over 1,000 yards and along with Forrest had accounted for 78% of the Hogs points that year. When the spread reached 24 points Vegas odds makers took the game off the books.

Meanwhile in Fayetteville Holtz went to Broyles' office and asked, "If we win this game, will we be national champs? When we beat them by thirty, do you think we'll be number one?"

Holtz had good reason to be confident. With help from defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin, who was good friends with Oklahoma defensive coordinator Larry Lacewell, Holtz figured out that the Oklahoma defensive line keyed on the first move by the offensive line. He then devised a play called "False-Keyed Tackle." At the snap, the offensive tackle would fake to the outside like he was going to block the defensive tackle to the inside. But when the defensive tackle bit on the fake and jumped to the outside the offensive tackle would cut back to the inside and block the linebacker while the defensive tackle ran himself out of the play.

Oklahoma never figured it out and at the end of the game little-known Roland Sales, who had replaced Cowins, had an Orange Bowl record 205 rushing yards as the Razorbacks stunned the Sooners 31-6 in one of the biggest bowl upsets of all time. After the game Holtz told Broyles that had Cowins played they would have scored 60; that when Sales got 10-12 yards Cowins would have scored because no one could stop him in the open field.

Offline big_pig

• King of the Hogs
  • Avatars were made to be broken, but not this one!
« Reply #112 on: July 21, 2011, 02:05:36 PM »
Meanwhile in Fayetteville Holtz went to Broyles' office and asked, "If we win this game, will we be national champs? When we beat them by thirty, do you think we'll be number one?"

If Alabama can claim a nat title in year that they lost their bowl game, I'ma claiming the '78 Orange Bowl as our national title win.
I am not claiming I am right, I am saying I don't get it.

• Administrator
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #113 on: July 27, 2011, 10:25:32 AM »
Tonight is the 1991 Texas game. That was our last season in the SWC and we beat them in LR. I was there and the team stayed on the field after the game saluting the fans who also stayed because it was pretty sweet beating them in the last regular season game of a storied history. Probably Jack Crowe's greatest win at Arkansas. Game begins at 7:30 PM on KARZ channel 42 in central Arkansas.

Offline Law_Hawg

• Placidly murderous giant
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #114 on: July 27, 2011, 10:31:02 AM »
Tonight is the 1991 Texas game. That was our last season in the SWC and we beat them in LR. I was there and the team stayed on the field after the game saluting the fans who also stayed because it was pretty sweet beating them in the last regular season game of a storied history. Probably Jack Crowe's greatest win at Arkansas. Game begins at 7:30 PM on KARZ channel 42 in central Arkansas.

I seem to remember a picture in the paper the next day of players or fans (or both) with cotton bolls in their hands after the game.  Of course, that wound up being premature as Jason Allen's injury in the following game against Baylor basically derailed the rest of the season, but it was still a great moment nonetheless, even though Texas only went 5-6 that season. 

That 1991 team, while overall not a great one, had some good individual talent.  Henry Ford and Raylee Johnson went on to solid NFL careers, Isaac Davis played several seasons in the NFL, Darwin Ireland played briefly in the NFL, Orlando Watters was a pretty good DB and one of the best punt returners in school history, and Pete Raether and Todd Wright are among the best punters and place kickers (respectively) in school history. 
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 11:20:44 AM by Law_Hawg »
Caedite eos! Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.

Offline shortstop6

• Cooled-Out Buddhist Cowboy
  • Administrator
  • Boar
  • Lathed from solid envy, thick with menace.
« Reply #115 on: July 27, 2011, 05:00:46 PM »
Jason Allen's injury

Calling what happened to Jason Allen an "injury" might the greatest understatement in the history of the woopig.
I'm an outdoorsman.  I like getting drunk on patios.

Offline Law_Hawg

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #116 on: July 28, 2011, 10:37:35 AM »
Calling what happened to Jason Allen an "injury" might the greatest understatement in the history of the woopig.

Still speaking of Jason Allen and Jack Crowe, anybody think they'll be airing this historic game:

• Administrator
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #117 on: July 28, 2011, 10:57:27 AM »

Still speaking of Jason Allen and Jack Crowe, anybody think they'll be airing this historic game:

Sorry, you're on your own now.

Offline Law_Hawg

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #118 on: July 28, 2011, 11:03:45 AM »
Sorry, you're on your own now.

On a side note, is that Houston Nutt wearing the headset on the far right in the background?

Offline Ty Webb

• Your uncle molests collies.
  • King of the Hogs
  • Hog football will win 6 in '14
« Reply #119 on: July 28, 2011, 11:11:11 AM »

On a side note, is that Colonel Reb wearing the headset on the far right in the background?

You mean he guy with the squint on his face and hand/fingernails nearing his mouth? I'd say, yes, that be him.
Don't sell yourself short Judge, you're a tremendous slouch.

razorwire

« Reply #120 on: July 28, 2011, 01:31:00 PM »
I also remember attending a Sugar Bowl game in the Super Dome the year after(?) the infamous Orange Bowl victory.  We got the tar beat out of us by Alabama.  Alabama had the largest damn lineman on both sides of the ball that I had ever seen at that time and they still had speed!  Was that Bear Bryant's last game?  If not, I have been lying for years.    :helmet:

Offline asshat

• Tush Hog
  • Hates all things Auburn
    • please click here to see the World Famous Artist Sean Terrence Best !!
« Reply #121 on: July 28, 2011, 01:36:03 PM »
I also remember attending a Sugar Bowl game in the Super Dome the year after(?) the infamous Orange Bowl victory.  We got the tar beat out of us by Alabama.  Alabama had the largest damn lineman on both sides of the ball that I had ever seen at that time and they still had speed!  Was that Bear Bryant's last game?  If not, I have been lying for years.    :helmet:

You've been lying for years.  The last game he coached was three seasons later in the Liberty Bowl (a win over Illinois).
Quote from: Duckman
This is exactly where we are at, dead on:  To everyone that is hushing the Gruden talk, stop it, there IS a deal in place...

• Administrator
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #122 on: July 28, 2011, 01:43:27 PM »
You mean he guy with the squint on his face and hand/fingernails nearing his mouth? I'd say, yes, that be him.

He was on Crowe's staff that lost to the Citadel, then last year lost to Crowe's Jacksonville State Gamecocks. Alanis Morrisette approves.

razorwire

« Reply #123 on: July 28, 2011, 01:51:39 PM »
You've been lying for years.  The last game he coached was three seasons later in the Liberty Bowl (a win over Illinois).

Three years off..... Headed for the screen door.  Oh, Starkville, we only gots glass storms.  This is really going to hurt.

Offline Fairweather Hog Fan

• Boar
« Reply #124 on: July 28, 2011, 02:05:14 PM »

That's the game where the 32-year old Major Olgavey sp? ran all over us.
Ender of threads!

WOOPIG.NET   © 2014  Jackson Technologies

Page created in 0.315 seconds with 20 queries.