Welcome, Guest! Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Conference Chaos/Rumblings...  (Read 48193 times)

Offline LashHog

• is not dead in East End
  • King of the Hogs
  • WooPig
Re: Conference Chaos/Rumblings...
« Reply #175 on: October 05, 2011, 10:14:18 AM »
This fear of Bama is just plain retarded. Keep in the west...they won't beat us every year. Two years ago we were not that great and still played with them for a half. Last year we should have beaten them and then literally gift wrapped the ball and tossed it up to them to give the game away. This year they were clearly better but some special teams plays made it look worse than it really was, and it made it worse that our biggest weaknesses (OL and RB) are pretty much the worst places to have a weakness against a team like Bama.

I'm fine with the Missouri move because it'll be fun in basketball and we'll probably have a ton of fans at football games in Columbia, but everyone wanting to move Bama to the east is just being reactionary.
It is better to be a human being dissatisfied than a pig satisfied; better to be Socrates dissatisfied than a fool satisfied.

Offline muslimsdonteatme

• Blasphemer
  • Administrator
  • Tush Hog
  • Thunderbolt of Flaming Wisdom
« Reply #176 on: October 05, 2011, 11:44:50 AM »
Geographically that doesn't make sense. The only reason they'd leave Bama in the West would be some kind of perceived competitive balance. That is possible, but I'd call it unlikely.

Perceived?  We move Bama and Auburn to the East, and replace them with A&M, Vandy, and Misery...the word "perceived" doesn't fit.  That IS an imbalance, and we come out on the short end of that stick.

Missouri makes us weaker unless they leave Bama and Auburn alone.

Online big_pig

• King of the Hogs
  • Avatars were made to be broken, but not this one!
« Reply #177 on: October 05, 2011, 12:19:31 PM »
This. People that think Bama and Vandy are gonna trade spots just have wishful thinking. No way that happens. Allburn goes to the East, TXAM and Mizzou to West, SEC goes to 9 game conference schedule and we roll on....

The more I think about it, the more this makes sense.  Of course the only way to make it work would be to have 2 permanent and 1 rotating non-division games like the old days.  Because I don't see Bama giving up on the Tennessee game.  They might, but I think both sides have the will and Bama has the stroke to keep the series going. 

**WARNING:  LONG-WINDED RANT AHEAD!**

Moving both Alabama and Auburn to the east wouldn't tip the balance of power to one division, since right now the balance is already tipped. The SECW is the stronger division. Moving the 2 bama schools east would simply flip the balance of power to the east.

If you were to number the SEC from 1-12, based on the past, say, 5 years, as well as a projection for the next 5 years, I'd probably look like this:

1  Bama -- W
2  Florida -- E
3  LSU -- W
4  Arkansas -- W
5  Auburn -- W
6  Georgia -- E
7  So Car -- E
8  Tennessee -- E
9  Miss St -- W
10 Ole Miss -- W
11 Kentucky -- E
12 Vandy -- E

A few of those could be swapped around, but that's probably fairly close.  The West has 4 of the top 6 teams in the SEC.

Add in the two new schools and move the bama schools east and Vandy west, and it looks like this:

1  Bama -- E
2  Florida -- E
3  LSU -- W
4  Arkansas -- W
5  Auburn -- E
6  Georgia -- E
7  So Car -- E
8  Tennessee -- E
9  TAMU -- W
10 Mizzou -- W
11 Miss St -- W
12 Ole Miss -- W
13 Kentucky -- E
14 Vandy -- W

Now the East has 5 of the top 7 teams.

So the only way to truly even out the divisions would be to just move Auburn to the east.

1  Bama -- W
2  Florida -- E
3  LSU -- W
4  Arkansas -- W
5  Auburn -- E
6  Georgia -- E
7  So Car -- E
8  Tennessee -- E
9  TAMU -- W
10 Mizzou -- W
11 Miss St -- W
12 Ole Miss -- W
13 Kentucky -- E
14 Vandy -- E

That's a 4-3 Eastern slant.

And assuming we go back to the 2 permanent opponent schedule...

TAMU -- Georgia, Vandy
Mizzou -- Auburn, Kentucky
Ark -- So Car, Tennessee
LSU -- Florida, SoCar
Miss -- Vandy, Georgia
Miss St -- Kentucky, Florida
Bama -- Tennessee, Auburn

Auburn -- Mizzou, Alabama
Vandy -- Miss, TAMU
Tenn -- Alabama, Arkansas
Kentucky -- Miss St, Mizzou
So Car -- Arkansas, LSU
Georgia -- TAMU, Miss
Florida -- LSU, Miss St

There I'm done
I am not claiming I am right, I am saying I don't get it.

Offline Tusk till Dawn

• King of the Hogs
  • You're killing your father, Larry.
« Reply #178 on: October 05, 2011, 12:43:50 PM »

And assuming we go back to the 2 permanent opponent schedule...

TAMU -- Georgia, Vandy
Mizzou -- Auburn, Kentucky
Ark -- So Car, Tennessee
LSU -- Florida, SoCar
Miss -- Vandy, Georgia
Miss St -- Kentucky, Florida
Bama -- Tennessee, Auburn

Auburn -- Mizzou, Alabama
Vandy -- Miss, TAMU
Tenn -- Alabama, Arkansas
Kentucky -- Miss St, Mizzou
So Car -- Arkansas, LSU
Georgia -- TAMU, Miss
Florida -- LSU, Miss St

There I'm done

This makes the most sense. Especially if you predict a Georgia and Tennessee return to the top 15 at some point. On Mizzou, I know football is the straw that stirs the drink, but I think they'll add value to the SEC in basketball and baseball. Back to football, they were ranked #1 country in the AP Poll in late 2007, so there is a little bit of something there.

I'll go light my screen door on fire now.
Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night keeps TTD from his Hot Damn.

Offline hogggdadi

• Tush Hog
  • I'm watching you on the pig. always
« Reply #179 on: October 05, 2011, 12:57:58 PM »
I personally think you should do away with the "permanent" east opponent.  The bigger the conference gets, the harder it is to play all of the conference foes every 3-4 years.  Plus, if a team like Vandy or LoL Miss is on your schedule permanently, there is a strength of schedule advantage that is permanent, (provided the hoot is still over in oxfart). 
You only have to be the best team today.

Offline Razorback Jedi

• Tush Hog
« Reply #180 on: October 05, 2011, 01:09:51 PM »
I personally think you should do away with the "permanent" east opponent.  The bigger the conference gets, the harder it is to play all of the conference foes every 3-4 years.  Plus, if a team like Vandy or LoL Miss is on your schedule permanently, there is a strength of schedule advantage that is permanent, (provided the hoot is still over in oxfart). 

While I agree there is a scheduling advantage, there are some pretty long-standing rivalries that would go away if that happened.

GA/AU
Bama/UT

Online big_pig

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #181 on: October 05, 2011, 01:24:47 PM »
While I agree there is a scheduling advantage, there are some pretty long-standing rivalries that would go away if that happened.

GA/AU
Bama/UT

What's funny is the two rivalries you mentioned are pretty much the only reason the permanent schedule was done in the first place.

I mean, what other east/west rivalry is there?

Offline Splurge

• is crawling on his belly clearing out what could have been
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #182 on: October 05, 2011, 01:37:25 PM »
This fear of Bama is just plain retarded. Keep in the west...they won't beat us every year. Two years ago we were not that great and still played with them for a half. Last year we should have beaten them and then literally gift wrapped the ball and tossed it up to them to give the game away. This year they were clearly better but some special teams plays made it look worse than it really was, and it made it worse that our biggest weaknesses (OL and RB) are pretty much the worst places to have a weakness against a team like Bama.

I'm fine with the Missouri move because it'll be fun in basketball and we'll probably have a ton of fans at football games in Columbia, but everyone wanting to move Bama to the east is just being reactionary.

Agree with this completely.  Saban won't be there forever and when he's gone, there's a better than 50/50 chance they'll have another Dubose or Shula.  To Starkville with Bama.  I'm happy to play them every year.

Online TravelHog

• Resident Agitator
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #183 on: October 05, 2011, 01:37:36 PM »
What's funny is the two rivalries you mentioned are pretty much the only reason the permanent schedule was done in the first place.

I mean, what other east/west rivalry is there?

LSU/UF would like a word with you.
Chance favors the prepared mind.

Offline wmr

• Locally Grown, 100% Organic
  • King of the Hogs
  • (.) (.)
« Reply #184 on: October 05, 2011, 01:42:46 PM »
LSU/UF would like a word with you.

That's a rivalry because of the permanent opponents.  It wasn't really that big of a deal historically.
LSU fans are tres gauche.

Offline shortstop6

• Cooled-Out Buddhist Cowboy
  • Administrator
  • Boar
  • Lathed from solid envy, thick with menace.
« Reply #185 on: October 05, 2011, 01:43:42 PM »

GA/AU
Bama/UT

They'll get over it...

I'm an outdoorsman.  I like getting drunk on patios.

Offline The Whyte Boar

• A Shoat
« Reply #186 on: October 05, 2011, 01:52:59 PM »
In the same article a few weeks ago where Auburn said it would go east if needed, it was said that permanent cross division opponents would be eliminated.  That means that Alabama and Auburne HAVE to be in the same division.  And of course, the most geographically sound division of the teams when A&M and Mizzou are added would have Vandy in the West and Auburn, Alabama, and Tennessee all in the East.  A line straight up the western border of Alabama would accomplish that.

Offline Hackfuck McDouche

• With a name like Hackfuck, it has to be Good
  • King of the Hogs
  • Can I have YOUR vote? And a hot dog?
« Reply #187 on: October 05, 2011, 01:58:34 PM »
So, for those of us who don't know the minute-by-minute, is Missou "in the chute" towards joining the SEC, or is all this talk just based on the bluster around them resigning from the Big XII boards and "exploring possibilities"?

I'll hang up and listen.

Offline Clark

• Putting my Kools out on your floor.
  • King of the Hogs
  • UPGRAYEDD. Two D's for a double dose of pimpin'.
« Reply #188 on: October 05, 2011, 02:02:02 PM »
In the same article a few weeks ago where Auburn said it would go east if needed, it was said that permanent cross division opponents would be eliminated.  That means that Alabama and Auburne HAVE to be in the same division.  And of course, the most geographically sound division of the teams when A&M and Mizzou are added would have Vandy in the West and Auburn, Alabama, and Tennessee all in the East.  A line straight up the western border of Alabama would accomplish that.
Auburn and Alabama took a 41 year break in their rivalry.

The iconic 'alien' is to us what we are to apes: small, pale, big headed, and with unfathomable technology. We even abduct them for medical experiments. Mind blown.
--Rage

Offline LashHog

• King of the Hogs
  • WooPig
« Reply #189 on: October 05, 2011, 02:06:32 PM »
So, for those of us who don't know the minute-by-minute, is Missou "in the chute" towards joining the SEC, or is all this talk just based on the bluster around them resigning from the Big XII boards and "exploring possibilities"?

I'll hang up and listen.
Both, I think. Based on the bluster....it seems evident they are headed to the SEC just like when aTm was "exploring conferences." It's all posturing for legal reasons, I think.
It is better to be a human being dissatisfied than a pig satisfied; better to be Socrates dissatisfied than a fool satisfied.

Online Rocket_City_Hawg

• A Shoat
  • Javelin. When you need to kill something
« Reply #190 on: October 05, 2011, 02:14:32 PM »

Nashville is more eastern than Tuscaloosa.

Online big_pig

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #191 on: October 05, 2011, 02:20:28 PM »
Auburn and Alabama took a 41 year break in their rivalry.

Shirley you concede that college football is in a different place now.

The Iron Bowl is a big ratings getter.

Offline Clark

• Putting my Kools out on your floor.
  • King of the Hogs
  • UPGRAYEDD. Two D's for a double dose of pimpin'.
« Reply #192 on: October 05, 2011, 02:24:55 PM »
Shirley you concede that college football is in a different place now.

The Iron Bowl is a big ratings getter.
Basically I'm just saying frick Alabama and Auburn. I hope they get split and don't get their regular game.
The iconic 'alien' is to us what we are to apes: small, pale, big headed, and with unfathomable technology. We even abduct them for medical experiments. Mind blown.
--Rage

Offline LashHog

• King of the Hogs
  • WooPig
« Reply #193 on: October 05, 2011, 02:30:09 PM »
Basically I'm just saying frick Alabama and Auburn. I hope they get split and don't get their regular game.
It's good to have dreams, no matter how unreachable they might be.

Online big_pig

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #194 on: October 05, 2011, 02:36:22 PM »

Yeah.  Auburn has no say in anything.  They are to Alabama what A&M is to Texas.

But Alabama has enough stroke to ensure they get the Iron Bowl and the Tennessee game if they want it, however they want it.

Online Olive Branch Hog

• Tush Hog
« Reply #195 on: October 05, 2011, 02:45:36 PM »
Yeah.  Auburn has no say in anything.  They are to Alabama what A&M is to Texas.

But Alabama has enough stroke to ensure they get the Iron Bowl and the Tennessee game if they want it, however they want it.

Even though Tennessee, LSU & Florida would argue this - Alabama is to the SEC what Texas is to the Big 12 in influence.

(there are several reasons the conference offices are in AL - one of them is obvious.)

Online big_pig

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #196 on: October 05, 2011, 03:00:05 PM »
Even though Tennessee, LSU & Florida would argue this - Alabama is to the SEC what Texas is to the Big 12 in influence.

(there are several reasons the conference offices are in AL - one of them is obvious.)

Right.

The big difference between Texas and Alabama is Texas has that obnoxious arrogance that is seemingly inherent in their DNA, while also sporting an ultimately self-destructive sense of superiority that even Alabama fans and officials can't muster.

/Send it down there

Offline Tusk till Dawn

• King of the Hogs
  • You're killing your father, Larry.
« Reply #197 on: October 05, 2011, 10:26:01 PM »
If Mizzou leaves the Big 12 will be looking to expand. According to ESPN's source they're considering BYU, Louisville, WVU, TCU, and.........wait for it........Tulane Green Wave!!  wtf?
Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night keeps TTD from his Hot Damn.

Offline Pork Soda

• ...Tapenade
  • Tush Hog
« Reply #198 on: October 06, 2011, 05:24:48 AM »
If Mizzou leaves the Big 12 will be looking to expand. According to ESPN's source they're considering BYU, Louisville, WVU, TCU, and.........wait for it........Tulane Green Wave!!  wtf?

Hey!  Some One of us graduated from that fine institution of higher larnin. 

Every conference needs a private school doormat.  They'd be the Vandy of the Big Roman Numeral.

Offline Hatchclan

• CBB, CMA, & CDVH = SUCCESS
  • A Shoat
« Reply #199 on: October 06, 2011, 06:55:31 AM »
From ESPiN:
The University of Missouri hopes to join the Southeastern Conference but would have preferred an offer from the Big Ten that never came, a school official told The Associated Press.

And.....
Missouri hoped to join the Big Ten last year but the league instead chose Nebraska. The university official said the Big Ten remains Missouri's top choice but that conference "has no interest."

"That's what's left," the official said, referring to the SEC.

Looks like the SEC was finally 2nd in something, lol.
Beer has food value, but food has no beer value.

WOOPIG.NET   © 2014  Jackson Technologies

Page created in 0.288 seconds with 20 queries.