Welcome, Guest! Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Conference Chaos/Rumblings...  (Read 48981 times)

Offline Pig

• Wild Hog
  • BLT's are so darn tasty!
Re: Conference Chaos/Rumblings...
« Reply #225 on: October 06, 2011, 04:07:24 PM »
Mizzourah just doesn't seem like a fit to me.
Looking east on a map, VaTech looks best to me.
Do they bring anything wrt TV?  Does anyone in the DC area care about them or SEC ball?

Offline KCHOGS

• Tush Hog
« Reply #226 on: October 06, 2011, 04:39:59 PM »
No need to mention ACC teams.  They signed a deal last year that makes the penalty to leave the conference $20M.  The SEC could grab Louisville for basketball and if they wanted WVU they could grab them from the Big East (already rejected).  WVU bring a decent football program (decent compared to what they were playing against every year) and a good basketball program with a lively coach (Huggins).

Offline Cerdo

• I am Strawman
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #227 on: October 06, 2011, 05:06:31 PM »
Mizzou will eventually end up being an SEC team.  I think this was a very public smack in the mouth from the SEC for them allowing their people to run their mouths to ESPN and whine about wanting to be a Big 10 school.   

The SEC doesn't really give a aMm about Mizzou feelings either way - they're just an easy fallback to get to 14 and block up the Big 10 and there really isn't another desirable option that doesn't involve starting a war with the ACC.  It's possible Mizzou gets butt hurt over this slap and grovels back to the Texas conference - if they do the SEC will sit at 13 until they think a better option is presented. 

Online Buffinator

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #228 on: October 06, 2011, 05:36:36 PM »
Mizzourah just doesn't seem like a fit to me.

About the only use they could serve would be as Mike Anderson's bitches.

Offline muslimsdonteatme

• Blasphemer
  • Administrator
  • Tush Hog
  • Thunderbolt of Flaming Wisdom
« Reply #229 on: October 06, 2011, 05:41:31 PM »
I would welcome Mizzou into the SEC West -- and move 'Bama and Auburn into the SEC East, which would strengthen our position in the West.

With Missouri's larger population, they're bound to have a lot of good recruits who would logically look favorably at Arkansas if they want to be on a competitive SEC team close to home.

Strengthen our position in the West?  Who is CBS going to pick up for the game of the week, Arkansas - Missouri, or Bama - Georgia?  Tennessee - Auburn, or Arkansas - A&M?

We run serious risk here of only being the premier game on Thanksgiving. 

This weakens our position.  frick Mizzou.

Offline Boondoggle

• Tush Hog
  • Oh no!!! We suck again!!!
« Reply #230 on: October 06, 2011, 06:14:14 PM »
Strengthen our position in the West?  Who is CBS going to pick up for the game of the week, Arkansas - Missouri, or Bama - Georgia?  Tennessee - Auburn, or Arkansas - A&M?

We run serious risk here of only being the premier game on Thanksgiving.  

This weakens our position.  frick Mizzou.

Winning solves everything. The more you win, the more you will be televised and the more you will be associated with "big games" of national importance.

The problem with the SEC West, for example last year, we had 5 top 25 teams in the West (3 Top 5) beating the Starkville out of each other. The SEC West is a perennial murderers row, whereas the East is weaker (the West only had one patsy last year, LOL Miss. The East had Vandy, KY and TN). Why not move Bama and Auburn over there to bloody more noses in the East?

We play 2 SEC East teams every year, plus Carolina. With 14 SEC teams, we'd play 4 SEC East teams every year and 6 SEC West teams every year. Odds are, we'd have as many "big games" televised, including an easier route to the SEC Championship (another "big game") if we have aTm and Mizzou in our division and only LSU as the perennial power.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 06:22:24 PM by Boondoggle »
Oh no!!!! We suck again!!!

Good Ol' Arkansas Football: a Long, LONG way from relevance.

Offline muslimsdonteatme

• Blasphemer
  • Administrator
  • Tush Hog
  • Thunderbolt of Flaming Wisdom
« Reply #231 on: October 06, 2011, 06:32:04 PM »
Winning solves everything. The more you win, the more you will be televised and the more you will be associated with "big games" of national importance.

The problem with the SEC West, for example last year, we had 5 top 25 teams in the West (3 Top 5) beating the Starkville out of each other. The SEC West is a perennial murderers row, whereas the East is weaker (the West only had one patsy last year, LOL Miss. The East had Vandy, KY and TN). Why not move Bama and Auburn over there to bloody more noses in the East?

We play 2 SEC East teams every year, plus Carolina. With 14 SEC teams, we'd play 4 SEC East teams every year and 6 SEC West teams every year. Odds are, we'd have as many "big games" televised, including an easier route to the SEC Championship (another "big game") if we have aTm and Mizzou in our division and only LSU as the perennial power.

Fair enough, but frick Mizzou all the same.  I'm just working up a good hate for Auburn and Bama. 

Offline Razorback Jedi

• Tush Hog
« Reply #232 on: October 06, 2011, 06:32:40 PM »

Because 5-10 years ago the East was murderers row with TN, FL, and GA .. and they consistently beat the West teams. It's on a cycle, and in a few more years, the East will be stronger than the West.

Offline jsimp

• Tush Hog
« Reply #233 on: October 06, 2011, 07:50:03 PM »
Because 5-10 years ago the East was murderers row with TN, FL, and GA .. and they consistently beat the West teams. It's on a cycle, and in a few more years, the East will be stronger than the West.

i used to think that, but now i'm not so sure.bama isn't going anywherewith saban there. we are gonna be ok with petrino. appearantly you can pick up any retard off the street and win big at lsu. auburn will pay whatever every so often and be right up there. the west looks strong

Online hoggadore

• Insolent Pissant, Bescumberer.
  • Tush Hog
« Reply #234 on: October 06, 2011, 11:44:34 PM »

Why do people assume we'll play more conference games?  I've heard at least one AD say they thought it would stay at 8 even with expansion.

Offline TC

• Boar
« Reply #235 on: October 07, 2011, 01:17:51 AM »
I've heard at least one AD say they thought it would stay at 8 even with expansion.

That wasn't Boone was it?   

Offline HogofWar

• Boar
  • Tits Out, Captain.
« Reply #236 on: October 07, 2011, 09:10:16 AM »
One of my shortwhorn friends said that Slive is in Ft. Worth yesterday. TCU to the SEC maybe????

Offline shortstop6

• Cooled-Out Buddhist Cowboy
  • Administrator
  • Boar
  • Lathed from solid envy, thick with menace.
« Reply #237 on: October 07, 2011, 09:12:33 AM »
One of my shortwhorn friends said that Slive is in Ft. Worth yesterday. TCU to the SEC maybe????

You need to rethink your choice of friends.
I'm an outdoorsman.  I like getting drunk on patios.

Offline HogofWar

• Boar
  • Tits Out, Captain.
« Reply #238 on: October 07, 2011, 09:34:40 AM »
You need to rethink your choice of friends.

I guess I should have added that when I said, "friend," I meant it loosely.

Online Turd F.

• Token Coonass
  • Boar
« Reply #239 on: October 07, 2011, 09:45:56 AM »

That would be hard to believe since AL, GA, UF, and Vandy want an eastern team and are the schools keeping Mizzou from getting into the SEC right now.

Offline Cerdo

• I am Strawman
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #240 on: October 07, 2011, 10:13:18 AM »
I figure Slive decided to have the Eastern powers vote no to send a message to Mizzou while keeping the hands of the teams Mizzou will actually have to play every year semi clean.  AL was the exclamation point that Missouri can't do anything about. 

Online Turd F.

• Token Coonass
  • Boar
« Reply #241 on: October 07, 2011, 11:39:58 AM »

Offline TexZilla

• Boar
« Reply #242 on: October 07, 2011, 02:25:01 PM »
missouri is better than adding another eastern school.  I can't think of another reason they fit other than they are better fit than VT or NC. 

If you want to base it solely on TV ratings, then the SEC needs to look to Texas or Florida schools. 

Frankly, I am of the opinion that the 14th team needs to be a permanent floater that is "whatever school Houston Nutt is coaching after he gets fired from Ole Miss".  If its Notre Dame, great; if its Hendrix that workls as well.

Offline Razorback Jedi

• Tush Hog
« Reply #243 on: October 07, 2011, 03:17:29 PM »
The big east is going to implode. The ACC will expand eventually, as will  the Big 10.

My guess is that no one is in a hurry to "fill spots" just because there's a perceived need for one. I'm up for fending off bottom feeders like Mizzurrah to keep the conference anoplasty in place, and get the right school that fits ... not because we "need a 14th team".

Offline big_pig

• King of the Hogs
  • Avatars were made to be broken, but not this one!
« Reply #244 on: October 07, 2011, 03:29:10 PM »
The big east is going to implode. The ACC will expand eventually, as will  the Big 10.

My guess is that no one is in a hurry to "fill spots" just because there's a perceived need for one. I'm up for fending off bottom feeders like Mizzurrah to keep the conference anoplasty in place, and get the right school that fits ... not because we "need a 14th team".

I don't know if the Big Ten will expand again.  They had their chances with Mizzou and passed.  They could have taken (still can) Rutgers at any time, but passed.  I could see them maybe going after Maryland before the ACC's 20MM buyout, but probably not anymore.  Notre Dame is the only school they seem to actively want, and ND would rather go to the weaker ACC apparently.

A few months ago I would have bet the Big East would still be standing in 5 years and the Big XII would have disappeared.  Now it looks like the opposite.  I can see the Big XII taking the best of the Big East and leaving what's left to find a new home as the BE goes back to being a basketball league.
I am not claiming I am right, I am saying I don't get it.

Offline big_pig

• King of the Hogs
  • Avatars were made to be broken, but not this one!
« Reply #245 on: October 07, 2011, 08:19:01 PM »
http://www.the-mainboard.com/index.php?threads/sec-west-alabama-being-turd ranchers.99945/

Multiple sources tell Auburn Undercover that Alabama is demanding Missouri be placed in the Eastern division in order to preserve its longstanding rivalry with Tennessee. Alabama is also adamant that Auburn NOT be placed in the East. The Tide is said to be strongly opposed to potentially playing Auburn on back-to-back weekends (Iron Bowl + SECCG). They are also opposed to moving the Iron Bowl to earlier in the year. That means Auburn could stay put in the West. Apparently, Mizzou does not currently have the votes to be admitted in the West. We're told Alabama plus at least three other schools are opposed to either adding Mizzou OR adding them to the West. That means, the way things currently stand, the only way Missouri gets admitted as a member of the SEC is in the East. I'm told they would have the votes to be admitted as an East member. It's not clear if the vote would be unanimous. If the above scenario plays out, Missouri would play Arkansas each year as its permanent opponent from the East. Texas A&M and South Carolina would also play each other annually. We are told the SEC presidents will meet this weekend to hash out all of the details. Keep in mind nothing is final and everything can change.
I am not claiming I am right, I am saying I don't get it.

Offline papermill

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #246 on: October 07, 2011, 11:05:48 PM »
Aw crap,  I was hoping this stuff would eventually get Alabama to the other division.  Maybe there's still some way to let somebody else play them first every year.  It should be A&M's turn in that barrel for a couple of decades.

Offline Boondoggle

• Tush Hog
  • Oh no!!! We suck again!!!
« Reply #247 on: October 07, 2011, 11:26:04 PM »
http://www.the-mainboard.com/index.php?threads/sec-west-alabama-being-turd ranchers.99945/

Multiple sources tell Auburn Undercover that Alabama is demanding Missouri be placed in the Eastern division in order to preserve its longstanding rivalry with Tennessee. Alabama is also adamant that Auburn NOT be placed in the East. The Tide is said to be strongly opposed to potentially playing Auburn on back-to-back weekends (Iron Bowl + SECCG). They are also opposed to moving the Iron Bowl to earlier in the year. That means Auburn could stay put in the West. Apparently, Mizzou does not currently have the votes to be admitted in the West. We're told Alabama plus at least three other schools are opposed to either adding Mizzou OR adding them to the West. That means, the way things currently stand, the only way Missouri gets admitted as a member of the SEC is in the East. I'm told they would have the votes to be admitted as an East member. It's not clear if the vote would be unanimous. If the above scenario plays out, Missouri would play Arkansas each year as its permanent opponent from the East. Texas A&M and South Carolina would also play each other annually. We are told the SEC presidents will meet this weekend to hash out all of the details. Keep in mind nothing is final and everything can change.

Good grief. I guess Bama, Saban and Jimmy Sexton dictate what the SEC does.

The solution is simple enough then: move 'Bama and Auburn to the East and Mizzou and A&M to the West. 'Bama and Auburn end up in the same division (w/ TN) and of course Bama gets to play fellow East division TN every year. Me thinks Bama is being disingenuous -- in reality they just don't want Arkansas and LSU to have easier schedules to get to the Championship Game.
Oh no!!!! We suck again!!!

Good Ol' Arkansas Football: a Long, LONG way from relevance.

Offline HoneyBakedPiglet

• aka Fireplace
  • Boar
  • Unofficial Woopig Golf Tourney Chairman
« Reply #248 on: October 07, 2011, 11:53:59 PM »

Good grief. I guess Bama, Saban and Jimmy Sexton dictate what the SEC does.

The solution is simple enough then: move 'Bama and Auburn to the East and Mizzou and A&M to the West. 'Bama and Auburn end up in the same division (w/ TN) and of course Bama gets to play fellow East division TN every year. Me thinks Bama is being disingenuous -- in reality they just don't want Arkansas and LSU to have easier schedules to get to the Championship Game.

That would leave 6 teams in the West and 8 in the East. Move Kentucky to the West to get it to 7/7?
Down at the senior citizens home, doing a couple numbers for the old ladies.

Offline hogsrunwild

• King of the Hogs
  • Yes, it is
« Reply #249 on: October 08, 2011, 08:05:14 AM »
Wait, you think this is fair balance:
Kentucky
Ole Miss
Miss State
TAMU
Missouri
LSU
Arkansas

Us and L S U say thanks
Quote from: Animal Chin on Today at 07:38:32 PM
Also, I want to have sex in and around your mouth. Please tell me you're in central Arkansas so we can meet up.  I'm not hard to find.

WOOPIG.NET   © 2014  Jackson Technologies

Page created in 0.282 seconds with 20 queries.