Welcome, Guest! Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Conference Chaos/Rumblings...  (Read 47990 times)

Offline Turd F.

• Token Coonass
  • Boar
Re: Conference Chaos/Rumblings...
« Reply #400 on: February 15, 2012, 10:21:14 AM »
The WAC's commissioner just resigned to take the same gig with the Sun Belt since their commissioner retired. Nothing solid, but I've read rumors of a possible WAC-Sun Belt merger. Can't get any worse for the WAC, I guess. 

Offline Turd F.

• Token Coonass
  • Boar
« Reply #401 on: February 22, 2012, 01:03:40 PM »
Temple looks to be rejoining the Big East in time for football season. They also have an invite to join the MWC-CUSA alliance. Exciting stuff, I know:

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/22/report-temple-to-big-east-in-2012/

Online big_pig

• King of the Hogs
  • Avatars were made to be broken, but not this one!
« Reply #402 on: February 22, 2012, 01:21:18 PM »
Temple looks to be rejoining the Big East in time for football season. They also have an invite to join the MWC-CUSA alliance. Exciting stuff, I know:

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/22/report-temple-to-big-east-in-2012/

back to back posts. a week apart.

Thanks for staying on the upandup, Turd.
I am not claiming I am right, I am saying I don't get it.

Offline Stephen Colboar

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #403 on: February 22, 2012, 01:59:08 PM »
Big East bringing Temple back is weak sauce.

Didn't they basically kick them out before Va Tech/Miami/BC left and the subsequent Louisville, USF, Cincy (UConn football) run they went on?

Online big_pig

• King of the Hogs
  • Avatars were made to be broken, but not this one!
« Reply #404 on: February 22, 2012, 02:49:51 PM »
Big East bringing Temple back is weak sauce.

Didn't they basically kick them out before Va Tech/Miami/BC left and the subsequent Louisville, USF, Cincy (UConn football) run they went on?

Yes, but the Big East is desperate to replace Louisville since they look to be leaving for the BigXwhatever
I am not claiming I am right, I am saying I don't get it.

Offline Turd F.

• Token Coonass
  • Boar
« Reply #405 on: February 22, 2012, 05:30:46 PM »
back to back posts. a week apart.

Thanks for staying on the upandup, Turd.

I'm pretty interested on what's going to happen to LA Tech. If they get left out of the MWC/CUSA deal and go instead to the Belt (the WAC isn't long for this world), the fan base will be on suicide watch.

Offline TravelHog

• Resident Agitator
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #406 on: February 22, 2012, 06:41:08 PM »
Hey Turd, your avatars are like Entheogen_Review, except cool.
Chance favors the prepared mind.

Offline Turd F.

• Token Coonass
  • Boar
« Reply #407 on: February 22, 2012, 09:22:13 PM »
Hey Turd, your avatars are like Entheogen_Review, except cool.

???

Offline Hackfuck McDouche

• With a name like Hackfuck, it has to be Good
  • King of the Hogs
  • Can I have YOUR vote? And a hot dog?
« Reply #408 on: February 22, 2012, 09:24:11 PM »
???

He's saying you don't talk like a turd rancher, and your aMm isn't all retarded...

/welcome to Costco, I love you

Offline Turd F.

• Token Coonass
  • Boar
« Reply #409 on: February 22, 2012, 09:31:57 PM »
He's saying you don't talk like a turd rancher, and your aMm isn't all retarded...

/welcome to Costco, I love you

There's that fa.g-talk we talked about.  :stache:

Still the greatest intro ever:
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 09:40:22 PM by Turd F. »

Offline papermill

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #410 on: February 23, 2012, 03:51:35 AM »
There's that fa.g-talk we talked about.  :stache:

Still the greatest intro ever:

That movie isn't a comedy, it's a documentary.

Offline Turd F.

• Token Coonass
  • Boar
« Reply #411 on: March 07, 2012, 04:50:42 PM »
Exciting news! Temple has officially left for the Big East!

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/07/mac-confirms-temple-departing-immediately/

They’re baaack.

Seven years after being shown the door for poor performance and attendance, and after getting passed over on more than one occasion during the last few months, the Big East has welcomed back Temple with arms opened wide by the force of desperation.

Well, almost. The MAC confirmed this afternoon that Temple would be leaving the conference immediately, but didn’t offer any more details as to where the Owls were going. Suffice to say, though, Temple’s new home will be in the Big East. A press conference with Big East and Temple representatives is scheduled for a little over an hour from now.

The Temple-to-Big East rumors gained momentum over the past couple of weeks once it became official that West Virginia would be departing for the Big 12 this year, leaving the Big East with just seven football members and as many months to fill another hole in the schedule.

A decision on Temple was reportedly supposed to have been made at the end of last month, but exit terms among the school and its two conferences, the Atlantic 10 and the MAC, appeared to be anything but settled. It wasn’t until University of Houston president Renu Khator tweeted a hint Wednesday morning that the move went from speculatively imminent to actually imminent.

As far as the buyouts are concerned, the MAC confirmed in the release today that Temple will pay $6 million for immediate departure; it was previously reported that the exit terms would be at least $3.5 million. Also, Temple will reportedly pay $1 million to get out of the Atlantic 10 in 2013. In all, it’s expected that the Big East will pay the $7 million to bring the Owls in as an all-sports member, according to Brett McMurphy of CBSSports.

Also, the MAC has announced the divisions will align as follows:

East Division:  Akron, Bowling Green, Buffalo, Kent State, UMass, Miami, Ohio
West Division:  Ball State, Central Michigan, Eastern Michigan, Northern Illinois, Toledo, Western Michigan.

Offline gambler

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #412 on: March 07, 2012, 05:01:32 PM »
Temple's move will change the landscape of college football.

Offline Stephen Colboar

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #413 on: March 07, 2012, 05:25:46 PM »
Ah, nice hustle Big East.
So Memphis is no longer in danger of having the historically losing-est record in your conference.

Offline Turd F.

• Token Coonass
  • Boar
« Reply #414 on: March 27, 2012, 10:20:11 AM »
The MWC and C-USA will either merge or remain separate, but "share". 

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/18061858/merging-or-sharing-either-way-cusa-and-mwc-working-together

Dissolving is out. Merging is in.

At least, that's the latest development for the potential new league to be formed from the existing teams from Conference USA and the Mountain West.

In February, the two leagues announced they would dissolve and then reform as one league. The main reason for dissolving was to nullify their current television deals and then creating a new conference to maximize their media rights revenue. However, if the leagues dissolved, then they would lose their NCAA tournament units -- teams earn about $250,000 for their conference for each round they advance in the NCAA tournament and that money is distributed to the conferences after a rolling six-year period. Dissolving the leagues would forfeit C-USA and the Mountain West millions of dollars.

So now C-USA and the Mountain West are no longer considering dissolving, but instead college football industry sources told CBSSports.com that the leagues are deciding between two options: merge into one league or remain as separate leagues, but share television, marketing and scheduling resources.

"Both are still viable," a source said. "There's really no clubhouse leader."

Which one will they chose? That ultimately will be decided by the league's presidents based on whichever model (merger or remaining separate) will ultimately produce the most television revenue.

There also are several other factors the leagues must consider. If they merge, that means the new league would receive only one automatic NCAA tournament bid.

If they merge in 2013, they would have -- at least for the moment -- 16 members (East Carolina, Marshall, Rice, Southern Mississippi, Tulane, Tulsa, UAB and Texas-El Paso from C-USA and Air Force, Colorado State, Fresno State, Hawaii, Nevada, New Mexico, UNLV and Wyoming from the MWC). Hawaii would be a football-only member.

However, they have indicated they could grow to as many as 24 schools.

If they decide to stay as separate leagues, then both leagues would likely pursue additional members from other leagues since each conference has lost several members. The leagues still would operate under the same umbrella and share television revenue, marketing resources and also have a scheduling agreement.

Sources told CBSSports.com that league presidents have been divided into five subgroups to discuss the different facets of the potential merger or remaining as separate leagues.

Tulane President Scott Cowen told The Tulane Hullabaloo, the school's newspaper, last week that the leagues are already working on where the new league will be headquartered.

"We have created the formation agreements to form this new entity and we have groups in place that are working on the TV contracts," Cowen told the Hullabaloo. "There's a possibility of adding new members over the 16 schools. We're working on where we'll headquarter the new association, what will be the management of the new association and we're working on marketing and branding of the new association. So our belief is that it's going to happen.

"The contingency plan is that we would just stay in Conference USA and add new members. But I think there's a very high probability that the new association will be formed with at least 16 schools in it, and there is the possibility that we could go up to 24 schools.

"What we're looking for is stability and long-term growth potential of the conference in terms of TV and revenue, so I think this vehicle we're exploring has the promise to deliver that."

Two weeks ago CBSSports.com reported that as many as 11 schools have been in contact with either C-USA or the Mountain West about their interest in the new league.

Those schools, sources said, were: Idaho, Louisiana Tech, New Mexico State, San Jose State, Texas State, Texas-San Antonio and Utah State from the WAC; Florida Atlantic, Florida International and North Texas from the Sun Belt; and Charlotte from the Atlantic 10.

On Friday, FAU President Mary Jane Saunders told FAUOwlAccess.com that the Owls have failed to receive an invitation to join the new league and will remain in the Sun Belt.

"I can tell you we have not been invited to another conference," Saunders told FAUOwlAccess.com. "I think those decisions have already been made. I think it's finished now. ...We're staying in the Sun Belt."

However, sources told CBSSports.com that no invitations to the new league had even been extended because the league's presidents aren't sure if they're merging or remaining separate.

Offline Old Man Rimshaw

• A Shoat
« Reply #415 on: April 10, 2012, 10:17:47 AM »
Georgia State joins Sun Belt

ATLANTA (AP) — Georgia State didn’t have a football team three years ago. Now they’re joining the ranks of the game’s superpowers.

The Panthers accepted an invitation Monday to become a member of the Sun Belt Conference in 2013, when they’ll be playing in the Football Bowl Subdivision.

Panthers coach Bill Curry is excited about the move, but the timing surprised him.

“For us to be able to move this quickly is something I would have never dreamed of,” Curry said.

Georgia State launched its program in 2010 and has played only two seasons in the Football Championship Subdivision. The Panthers are 9-13 under Curry, including 3-8 in 2011.

But this move is about economics, not success on the football field.

“I don’t think we had a choice,” Curry said.

The official invitation was extended to the school by Sun Belt Conference president and Troy University chancellor Jack Hawkins. The Panthers will continue to play in the FCS as a member of the Colonial Athletic Association through 2012.

Georgia State President Mark Becker said dramatic conference realignments across the nation led to a feasibility study to determine if the school was a good fit for a FBS conference. He said the study “showed we would fit nicely” with the Sun Belt.

At that point, it was just a matter of waiting for the invitation.

“When all the arrows pointed to ‘Yes, do this’ then we had to move quickly because if you don’t, you get left in the dirt the way it is these days,” Curry said. “Things move so fast in this world.”

Sun Belt Commissioner Karl Benson said his conference “gets bigger but more importantly gets better” by adding Georgia State.

“Both the Sun Belt and Georgia State are in similar positions with tremendous upside, tremendous potential,” Benson said.

Benson said adding the Atlanta TV market “makes us a more attractive entity and we hope to maximize that in the next set of negotiations” with ESPN.

The move leaves the conference with 11 football schools, “so our goal would be to get to 12,” Benson said.

Georgia State president Mark Becker said he notified CAA commissioner Tom Yeager on Sunday night the school was withdrawing from the conference.

“Georgia State’s withdrawal from the CAA and CAA football is predicated on the university’s desire to reclassify to FBS football which requires membership in an FBS league,” Yeager said in a statement. “We’ve been aware that GSU was having discussions with the Sun Belt Conference as the CAA could not accommodate that desire within GSU’s timeframe. The conference wishes the university well as it pursues these new interests.”

Georgia State will pay a $250,000 buyout to the CAA and a $300,000 entry fee to the Sun Belt.

The school is moving to the Sun Belt in all sports.

Offline Phat_Hawg

• Has pulled more tail than a slow kid at a petting zoo
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #416 on: April 10, 2012, 11:00:05 AM »

ATLANTA (AP) — Georgia State didn’t have a football team three years ago. Now they’re joining the ranks of the game’s superpowers.

I would put the Sun Belt at the same level as the Wonder Twins.
Homies help homes.......always

Offline ElvisHog

• Where have you gone Walter Cronkite, and why have you been replaced by the likes of woopig.net?
  • Administrator
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #417 on: April 10, 2012, 12:42:29 PM »
I would put the Sun Belt at the same level as the Wonder Twins.

Shape of no TV coverage....form of empty stadiums!

Offline Clark

• Putting my Kools out on your floor.
  • King of the Hogs
  • UPGRAYEDD. Two D's for a double dose of pimpin'.
« Reply #418 on: April 10, 2012, 12:59:16 PM »

The Panthers accepted an invitation Monday to become a member of the Sun Belt Conference in 2013, when they’ll be playing in the Football Bowl Subdivision.

Panthers coach Bill Curry is excited about the move, but the timing surprised him.

“For us to be able to move this quickly is something I would have never dreamed of,” Curry said.

Georgia State launched its program in 2010 and has played only two seasons in the Football Championship Subdivision. The Panthers are 9-13 under Curry, including 3-8 in 2011.

But this move is about economics, not success on the football field.

“I don’t think we had a choice,” Curry said.

The official invitation was extended to the school by Sun Belt Conference president and Troy University chancellor Jack Hawkins. The Panthers will continue to play in the FCS as a member of the Colonial Athletic Association through 2012.

Georgia State President Mark Becker said dramatic conference realignments across the nation led to a feasibility study to determine if the school was a good fit for a FBS conference. He said the study “showed we would fit nicely” with the Sun Belt.

At that point, it was just a matter of waiting for the invitation.

“When all the arrows pointed to ‘Yes, do this’ then we had to move quickly because if you don’t, you get left in the dirt the way it is these days,” Curry said. “Things move so fast in this world.”

Sun Belt Commissioner Karl Benson said his conference “gets bigger but more importantly gets better” by adding Georgia State.

“Both the Sun Belt and Georgia State are in similar positions with tremendous upside, tremendous potential,” Benson said.

Benson said adding the Atlanta TV market “makes us a more attractive entity and we hope to maximize that in the next set of negotiations” with ESPN.

The move leaves the conference with 11 football schools, “so our goal would be to get to 12,” Benson said.

Georgia State president Mark Becker said he notified CAA commissioner Tom Yeager on Sunday night the school was withdrawing from the conference.

“Georgia State’s withdrawal from the CAA and CAA football is predicated on the university’s desire to reclassify to FBS football which requires membership in an FBS league,” Yeager said in a statement. “We’ve been aware that GSU was having discussions with the Sun Belt Conference as the CAA could not accommodate that desire within GSU’s timeframe. The conference wishes the university well as it pursues these new interests.”

Georgia State will pay a $250,000 buyout to the CAA and a $300,000 entry fee to the Sun Belt.

The school is moving to the Sun Belt in all sports.
John Bond is the OC.
The iconic 'alien' is to us what we are to apes: small, pale, big headed, and with unfathomable technology. We even abduct them for medical experiments. Mind blown.
--Rage

Offline aNiMaL

• Selling The Drama daily
  • Administrator
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #419 on: April 10, 2012, 01:04:20 PM »
The Sun Belt realistically has opportunity to double even triple the average attendance at some of these stadiums.

In all seriousness...The Sun Belt realistically has opportunity to double even triple the average attendance at some of these stadiums.
And so it was that later
As the miller told his tale
That her face, at first just ghostly,
Turned a whiter shade of pale

Offline Turd F.

• Token Coonass
  • Boar
« Reply #420 on: April 17, 2012, 05:15:50 PM »
And the mega-conference of also-rans is scrapped:

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/17/report-c-usa-mwc-no-longer-merging/

On second thought, never mind?

Following months of discussions and alterations in plans to someway, somehow, get Conference USA and the Mountain West to either merge or dissolve and reform as one, it appears the two conferences will, in fact, stay separate — for now, anyway.

CBS Sports’ Brett McMurphy reports, citing industry sources, that a merger between the two leagues “probably will not happen“, but that each side is still working to figure out a way to share television, marketing and scheduling resources with the other.

“There is not much talk about a formal merger of the conferences into one conference entity in the near term, but that is still a future consideration,” one source told McMurphy.

The two conferences have been in discussions about how to modify their leagues since last year in the wake of more conference reshuffling and gerrymandering. If the conferences separately dissolved and reformed into one conference, as was the original plan, they could nullify any current TV deals and restructure media rights to maximize revenue.

Earlier this month, “The Mtn”, a TV channel for MWC athletics, announced it would be shutting down.

However, if C-USA and the MWC dissolved, each conference would then lose money from the NCAA tournament because those units are distributed after a six-year period. In other words, it doesn’t appear there was an option where the two conferences married and simply profited to maximum capability.

And, really, that’s what all realignment is about, more or less.

If the conferences stay separate for the immediate future, that doesn’t mean they’ll stay put, though. The Mountain West will have to replenish the spots left by Boise State, San Diego State and TCU; C-USA will have to replace Houston, SMU, Memphis and Central Florida.

Utah State, San Jose State, North Texas, Louisiana Tech and FIU have all been listed as possible replacements. That leaves the possibility that the WAC and the Sun Belt could, for inventory reasons if nothing else, adopt a similar idea to the one that has now fallen though for C-USA and the MWC.

Offline Mutual of Omahog

• Lustrous Potentate and Shocker Administrator
  • Wild Hog
« Reply #421 on: April 17, 2012, 05:20:22 PM »
Shape of no TV coverage....form of empty stadiums!

This was probably missed by many, but this is solid efforting.  :thumbup:

Offline Turd F.

• Token Coonass
  • Boar
« Reply #422 on: April 29, 2012, 12:46:39 PM »
The WAC is about to be no more.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/brett-mcmurphy/18873583

"C-USA adding UTSA in 2013; North Texas, FIU, Louisiana Tech also likely"

Texas San-Antonio will join Conference USA in 2013, pending approval from the University of Texas System Board of Regents on Wednesday to allow the school to accept an invitation, negotiate and finalize terms with the league.

The Roadrunners are one of four teams that C-USA will add for the 2013 season.
Conference USA also is looking to add North Texas and Florida International from the Sun Belt and Louisiana Tech from the WAC, sources told CBSSports.com from last week's BCS meetings in Hollywood, Fla.

The addition of those four schools -- to offset the losses of Memphis, UCF, Houston and Southern Methodist to the Big East -- would give the league 12 members and means Conference USA's merger with the Mountain West would not occur in 2013, as reported by CBSSports.com last week.

The Mountain West also is expected to add Utah State and San Jose State in 2013, sources said. The league, without the C-USA/MWC merger, are required to add at least one school to meet the NCAA's FBS requirements for maintaining eight women's sports and six men's sports, with at least six member schools competing in each sport.

The Roadrunners were scheduled to join the Western Athletic Conference on July 1. Because they never officially began in the league, they will not have to pay an exit fee. They must pay an entrance fee to C-USA of $2 million, according to the UT Regents agenda.

Conference USA contacted UTSA in March to initiate a discussion about the Roadrunners joining the league and school officials visited with C-USA commissioner Britton Banowsky two weeks ago, according to the UT Regents agenda.

RowdyReport.com first reported that UTSA accepting an invitation to C-USA was on the UT Board of Regents' agenda.

Since 1991, Texas San-Antonio's Olympic sports have competed in the Southland Conference. The Roadrunners just completed their first year of football under former Miami coach Larry Coker.

Texas-San Antonio was sought after by Conference USA and the Sun Belt because of UTSA's location and, more importantly, the Roadrunners' record-setting attendance numbers in their first season. UTSA set the NCAA record for a first-year program, averaging 35,521 fans, including 56,743 in its inaugural game.

For North Texas and Florida International, there is no required exit fee to leave the Sun Belt, but they would forfeit less than $500,000 in revenue sharing, industry sources told CBSSports.com.

Sources also said Charlotte remains a possibility to join C-USA as an all-sports member in 2013, but its football program, which will begin play in 2013, would not be able to compete in C-USA until 2015, at the earliest

Online Law_Hawg

• Placidly murderous giant
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #423 on: April 30, 2012, 11:27:53 AM »

Damn, UTSA pulled a John L. Smith on the WAC there. 

BAM!

Looks like ASU and UALR might be getting a little nervous, as the SBC may lose a couple of schools there to C-USA. 

Caedite eos! Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.

Offline The Satchuation

• Wild Hog
« Reply #424 on: April 30, 2012, 11:44:58 AM »

Damn, UTSA pulled a John L. Smith on the WAC there. 

BAM!

Looks like ASU and UALR might be getting a little nervous, as the SBC may lose a couple of schools there to C-USA.

Texas State will probably end up ditching the WAC as well and replacing North Texas in the SBC. Not sure what their plan would be to replace FIU. Maybe Georgia Southern or Appalachian State moving up from FCS?

WOOPIG.NET   © 2014  Jackson Technologies

Page created in 0.505 seconds with 21 queries.