Welcome, Guest! Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Conference Chaos/Rumblings...  (Read 48067 times)

Offline ArkGuy

• King of the Hogs
Re: Conference Chaos/Rumblings...
« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2011, 01:43:45 AM »
...., and helps the SEC by bringing in a potential 5 mill more viewers... well I dont know what to say to you.

Well, I know what to say to you: prove it or quit making up bullshit.

The 15 SEC national telecasts on CBS in 2010 averaged 6.944 million viewers and 4.2 rating points.  Those broadcasts were all available in Texas so presumbably some Texans were already watching despite there being no Texas based SEC teams.  That's higher than any other network.  No way an SEC package with the addition of A$M, much less one adding TCU, results in an almost doubling of viewers.  In fact, last year there was only one broadcast on ANY network with more than 11 MM viewers and that was the Iron Bowl with 12.5 million.  Actually, there were only ten games in the entire season on any network that had as many as 7.6 MM viewers and six of those involved SEC games and none of those top 10 most viewed games involved any team from texas.  None.

There is no way the addition of any team from texas into the SEC increases the number of actual viewers by an order of magnitude like what gets spouted on this board.  5 million, ten million.  Good grief. Heck, there are only about 26 million people in the entire state of texas.

Source: Sports Business Journal Daily   
"As the leader of all illegal activities in Casablanca, I am an influential and respected man."

Offline Ham Malone

• Tush Hog
« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2011, 02:29:49 AM »
Impossibly long quote
I was really hoping that was copy and pasted from somewhere else.  Unpossible that anyone would waste so much time putting that together. 
819 F.2d 451

Offline ocelot_ark

• Boar
« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2011, 08:02:56 AM »
Aight, Imabout to throw it down.  Get reddy:

« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 08:22:25 AM by ocelot_ark »

Offline Count Porkula

• Mayor
  • King of the Hogs
  • frick Him!
« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2011, 08:39:47 AM »
I was really hoping that was copy and pasted from somewhere else.  Unpossible that anyone would waste so much time putting that together. 

Animal would like a word or 6 bazillion  with you
Resonance...metal folding chairs or hard tile floors cannot be beaten when it comes to firing off a loud fart.

Offline nobu

• A Shoat
« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2011, 07:01:22 PM »
Off the wire 20 mins ago in a forum form an insider.

SEC turns down West Vir. application.

Not sure if its true or not. But supposedly someone close to the program was told this and reported it bearcatlair.com

if true wow.  I like sec being selective!

edit: its not being reported in a pretty accurate college football rumor forum Im in.. so I am pretty reserved as to whether this is true or not.

Offline Turd F.

• Token Coonass
  • Boar
« Reply #55 on: September 19, 2011, 07:18:36 PM »
Off the wire 20 mins ago in a forum form an insider.

SEC turns down West Vir. application.

Not sure if its true or not. But supposedly someone close to the program was told this and reported it bearcatlair.com

if true wow.  I like sec being selective!

edit: its not being reported in a pretty accurate college football rumor forum Im in.. so I am pretty reserved as to whether this is true or not.

I think the info that's being discussed there on your other forum emanated from a tweet from Andy Staples yesterday (he discussed this misunderstanding on Twitter). Someone misinterpreted him and said he said that WVU was turned down. From what Staples was told, WVU isn't going to get an invite right now (they weren't turned down). He stated Mizzou would get the invite instead.

Offline nobu

• A Shoat
« Reply #56 on: September 19, 2011, 07:20:05 PM »
I think the info that's being discussed there on your other forum emanated from a tweet from Andy Staples yesterday (he discussed this misunderstanding on Twitter). Someone misinterpreted him and said he said that WVU was turned down. From what Staples was told, WVU isn't going to get an invite right now (they weren't turned down). He stated Mizzou would get the invite instead.

You are right, that is a big difference.

This is the second rumor post I could find on it.

http://westvirginia.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=33&tid=147586728&mid=147586728&sid=891&style=2

Offline Turd F.

• Token Coonass
  • Boar
« Reply #57 on: September 20, 2011, 11:47:17 AM »
You are right, that is a big difference.

This is the second rumor post I could find on it.

http://westvirginia.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=33&tid=147586728&mid=147586728&sid=891&style=2

Looks like the rumor you saw was true. WV was denied  by both the SEC and the ACC. That has to be embarrassing.

http://www.wvmetronews.com/wvu.cfm?func=displayfullstory&storyid=47954

"CBSSports' Brett McMurphy is reporting that West Virginia University has been rejected by both the ACC and the SEC. Those were the two major conferences WVU was applied to join after both Syracuse and Pitt jumped to the ACC Conference. McMurphy first reported this story on his twitter account @BrettMcMurphyCBS:

"Multiple Big East sources said they have been told by WVU officials that WVU rejected by ACC & SEC."

McMurphy was also the first person to report on Saturday that Syracuse and Pitt have been accepted into the ACC.

WVU athletic department officials had no comment on the report, however, and they also point out that WVU never issued any statement about whether the university had even applied for admission to the SEC.  Continue to check MetroNews for more information on this story."

Offline Tampa TechnoHOG

• Boar
  • My boink is FIERCE!
« Reply #58 on: September 20, 2011, 11:55:14 AM »
Looks like the rumor you saw was true. WV was denied  by both the SEC and the ACC. That has to be embarrassing.

http://www.wvmetronews.com/wvu.cfm?func=displayfullstory&storyid=47954

"CBSSports' Brett McMurphy is reporting that West Virginia University has been rejected by both the ACC and the SEC. Those were the two major conferences WVU was applied to join after both Syracuse and Pitt jumped to the ACC Conference. McMurphy first reported this story on his twitter account @BrettMcMurphyCBS:

"Multiple Big East sources said they have been told by WVU officials that WVU rejected by ACC & SEC."

McMurphy was also the first person to report on Saturday that Syracuse and Pitt have been accepted into the ACC.

WVU athletic department officials had no comment on the report, however, and they also point out that WVU never issued any statement about whether the university had even applied for admission to the SEC.  Continue to check MetroNews for more information on this story."

Which will make the LSU/WVA game even more interesting.

You don't want to piss off a mountaineer... when they fight, their arms go all windmill on you   ::) 
If you think you're above failure, you'll always be beneath success.

Offline big_pig

• King of the Hogs
  • Avatars were made to be broken, but not this one!
« Reply #59 on: September 20, 2011, 12:06:40 PM »
Remnants of Big East will merge with remnants of BigXII.  If nessecary, that conference of rejects will merge with the best of Sun Belt and CUSA.

And then they'll sit alone, waiting for the day when Rudolph, Hermey, and Yukon Cornelius will come and save them.
I am not claiming I am right, I am saying I don't get it.

Offline aNiMaL

• Selling The Drama daily
  • Administrator
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #60 on: September 20, 2011, 12:13:57 PM »
I'd come closer to believing that they were turned down for now. What this means is unless certain parties come to the table and are ready to move, the SEC is not moving beyond 14 teams and WVU isn't #14. We don't know who #14 is right now. I'm not totally buying that it's Mizzou but it could be. I tend to think the SEC is still working on Va Tech or perhaps there is someone else in play. Miami adds nothing to the SEC other than a market further south which isn't a real good college market in general, you can say the same for the Missouri market all though I believe there is more untapped potential in the Missouri market than there is picking up another Georgia team or Florida team.
And so it was that later
As the miller told his tale
That her face, at first just ghostly,
Turned a whiter shade of pale

Offline Turd F.

• Token Coonass
  • Boar
« Reply #61 on: September 20, 2011, 12:16:24 PM »
This is insane:
http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/19/mountain-west-conference-usa-working-on-merger/

If this happens, it will be a 22-team conference.   realstunned

Offline Turd F.

• Token Coonass
  • Boar
« Reply #62 on: September 20, 2011, 12:20:32 PM »
I'd come closer to believing that they were turned down for now. What this means is unless certain parties come to the table and are ready to move, the SEC is not moving beyond 14 teams and WVU isn't #14. We don't know who #14 is right now. I'm not totally buying that it's Mizzou but it could be. I tend to think the SEC is still working on Va Tech or perhaps there is someone else in play. Miami adds nothing to the SEC other than a market further south which isn't a real good college market in general, you can say the same for the Missouri market all though I believe there is more untapped potential in the Missouri market than there is picking up another Georgia team or Florida team.

I don't think an ACC team would leave for the SEC after they just jacked up the early exit fees from 13M to 20M.

Offline big_pig

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #63 on: September 20, 2011, 12:24:56 PM »
This is insane:
http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/19/mountain-west-conference-usa-working-on-merger/

If this happens, it will be a 22-team conference.   realstunned

More thank likely, there will be teams left to the chopping block.

This is all about getting to BCS status.  Does Utah State bring anything to the table? New Mexico State? San Hose State?

This will get whittled down to either 12, 14, or 16.

If it happens.   Which it won't.  Because some of the teams involved have got to be holding out on a BCS invite.

Offline Turd F.

• Token Coonass
  • Boar
« Reply #64 on: September 20, 2011, 12:30:12 PM »
How credible is this guy? He's claiming the SEC wants Louisville as the 14th team, but that KY vetoed it. I find it hard to believe that of all the schools, we'd be after Louisville:

http://dev.chuckoliver.net/2011/09/sec-wants-louisville-as-14th-member-academics-leave-wvu-out/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed:+ChuckOliverFootball+(Chuck+Oliver+Football

Offline Hackfuck McDouche

• With a name like Hackfuck, it has to be Good
  • King of the Hogs
  • Can I have YOUR vote? And a hot dog?
« Reply #65 on: September 20, 2011, 12:41:22 PM »
How credible is this guy? He's claiming the SEC wants Louisville as the 14th team, but that KY vetoed it. I find it hard to believe that of all the schools, we'd be after Louisville:

http://dev.chuckoliver.net/2011/09/sec-wants-louisville-as-14th-member-academics-leave-wvu-out/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed:+ChuckOliverFootball+(Chuck+Oliver+Football

Remember him being on 790, one of the sports stations in Atlanta, a few years back (have no idea nor do I care if he's still at it).  I don't recall him talking out of his ass that often.

I wondered about Louisville yesterday and why everything was so quiet around them, as they seem like a natural fit.  But, UK having veto power would explain that.

Offline nobu

• A Shoat
« Reply #66 on: September 20, 2011, 01:37:48 PM »
I have always wondered why the media and fans latched on to this 16 team conference number. That makes no sense to me. A football playoff would not depend on 16 team conferences anyway.

I kind of always though that we would see eventual 20+ team conferences. Something like the ACC and SEC eventually merging. That is what makes the most sense to me in this evolution. That would make the most money.

but that 22 team USA/MW looks pretty cool. Lot of second tier teams but I think there are enough interesting teams there I would follow it.

Offline hogggdadi

• Tush Hog
  • I'm watching you on the pig. always
« Reply #67 on: September 20, 2011, 01:40:46 PM »
http://www.kansascity.com/2011/09/20/3155336/source-mizzou-has-sec-offer-but.html

CBS reporting that the SEC has made an "unofficial" offer to the Missouri Tigers.  How many damn tigers can there be in 1 conference?
You only have to be the best team today.

Offline nobu

• A Shoat
« Reply #68 on: September 20, 2011, 01:43:10 PM »
I was just about to report the same thing. Looks like Mizzou and SEC wants to stand at 14 teams.

But now the question is who does the SEC send from the west to the east?

Offline LashHog

• is not dead in East End
  • King of the Hogs
  • WooPig
« Reply #69 on: September 20, 2011, 01:48:08 PM »
http://www.kansascity.com/2011/09/20/3155336/source-mizzou-has-sec-offer-but.html

CBS reporting that the SEC has made an "unofficial" offer to the Missouri Tigers.  How many damn tigers can there be in 1 conference?
This would make sense of the SEC's stance of staying at 13 next year. I don't think Slive or any other commissioners are saying anything to the press on accident, it all has a purpose behind it. Maybe Slive was trying to get out there that they were waiting at 13, so that they could wait for the Big12 to further explode, all while working out a deal with Mizzou under the table. If they took Mizzou and aTm at the same time, it would be easier for Baylor to sue them for destroying the conference.
It is better to be a human being dissatisfied than a pig satisfied; better to be Socrates dissatisfied than a fool satisfied.

Offline big_pig

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #70 on: September 20, 2011, 01:53:44 PM »
So does the conference split 7 and 7?

If so, enjoy the east Auburn.  Wish it was Bama instead of you.

Mizzou always seemed like a natural fit, despite their being traditionally an average-to-above team in both major sports.

They bring an untapped market to the SEC, they have consistency in both their major sports (though, again, it's consistently average-to-above average) and they are a better geographic fit than, say, West Vagina. 

It would certainly be a fun basketball rival.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 01:58:57 PM by big_pale »

Offline TomTHog

• Boar
  • Woopig Poker Open Champion of the World!
« Reply #71 on: September 20, 2011, 01:56:50 PM »
So does the conference split 7 and 7?

If so, enjoy the east Auburn.  Wish it was Bama instead of you.

Was just gonna say something like this, as Auburn is the easternmost SEC West team.   Would they put Bummer and Allbarn in different divisions?
baseball is dull only to dull minds.

Offline big_pig

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #72 on: September 20, 2011, 02:00:29 PM »
Was just gonna say something like this, as Auburn is the easternmost SEC West team.   Would they put Bummer and Allbarn in different divisions?

They would have to, unless they add a third new team in the west (Kansas?).

We might be going back to the old (2 permanent, 1 rotating) schedule.   Who's ready to play Tennessee again every year?

Offline Tusk till Dawn

• King of the Hogs
  • You're killing your father, Larry.
« Reply #73 on: September 20, 2011, 02:32:54 PM »
Arkansas                               Arkansas         
TAMU                                       TAMU
LSU                                            LSU
Ole Piss                                  Ole Piss
Mizzou                                 Miss-take
Miss-take                                 Allburn
Bammer                                  Bammer

OR
Florida                                      Florida
Georgia                                    Georgia
Allburn                                   West VA
S. Carolina                                USC-E
Tennessee                           Tennessee
Kentucky                               Kentucky
Vandy                                      Vandy
Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night keeps TTD from his Hot Damn.

Offline big_pig

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #74 on: September 20, 2011, 02:40:22 PM »
Arkansas                               Arkansas         
TAMU                                       TAMU
LSU                                            LSU
Ole Piss                                  Ole Piss
Mizzou                                 Miss-take
Miss-take                                 Allburn
Bammer                                  Bammer

OR
Florida                                      Florida
Georgia                                    Georgia
Allburn                                   West VA
S. Carolina                                USC-E
Tennessee                           Tennessee
Kentucky                               Kentucky
Vandy                                      Vandy

Based on what's been reported/stated with no real basis in fact, just conjucture... it doesn't seem like the SEC will make a play for WVU unless they decide to go for 16 teams.  Which probably means there'll be another eastern team added, which means the original 6 in the west will stay intact.

WOOPIG.NET   © 2014  Jackson Technologies

Page created in 0.301 seconds with 20 queries.