Welcome, Guest! Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Conference Chaos/Rumblings...  (Read 47628 times)

Offline Turd F.

• Token Coonass
  • Boar
Conference Chaos/Rumblings...
« on: September 16, 2011, 11:27:35 PM »

Offline big_pig

• King of the Hogs
  • Avatars were made to be broken, but not this one!
Re: Conference Chaos/Rumblings...
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 02:14:37 AM »
Big East and ACC just need to merge the 16 best schools they have and be done with it. 
I am not claiming I am right, I am saying I don't get it.

Offline razorjack

• A Shoat
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 02:44:09 AM »
I'm hearing Texas to the ACC.   I just don't believe it.

It would be funny if somehow Texas could get left out in the cold on this, epecially considering they were the ones primaruly responsible for triggering the realignment. . .

Offline Cerdo

• I am Strawman
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 06:46:52 AM »
There is an incredible amount of misinformation and plain stupidity out there.  The biggest myth I keep hearing are the ones dealing with TV Markets - I feel that for the SEC and it's national TV contracts, these are low priorities and thus why the Sooners really aren't that attractive.  It may mean something more to the Big 10 and the LHN people but I live in NWA and I have the Big 10 network anyway, so I think it's overrated for them too.  I think what A&M offers is a recruiting pipeline that we want with a footprint that brings a ton of upside. 

Texas has plenty of options.
I think Rutgers does as well.  We all know Notre Dame has options and every move the Big 10 makes and every rumor they float out there is meant solely to squeeze the Domers.

I think everyone else is not so lucky and the Sooners are in a much worse spot than the lackeys would have you believe. 

I enjoy all of this stuff immensely. 

Offline Cerdo

• I am Strawman
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 08:08:30 AM »
Even though they were played like a fiddle last year to suit everyone else's agenda, Mizzou actually stands in a decent position as well.  All the things that the Sooners don't offer, Mizzou does - solid TV markets, recruits and a geographical position that places them squarely on almost every conference's border.  They'll end up in nothing worse then the Big East and I think they'll end up in the Big 10 or SEC as a fallback so that one conference can block the other conference.  They bring decent academics and reasonable demands.

Oklahoma's best long term option is to work with Tejas and keep that Big 12 together in some fashion.  Everything you hear and read out of Okie land is designed for Longhorn ears right now.

Pitt badly wants to be in the Big 10 but the Big 10 really doesn't need them.  I think the SEC doesn't really want to start a war with the ACC to raid VA Tech so I think they're happy to have this ACC-Big East drama taking place to keep SEC options open while holding cleaner hands.  It may open up VA Tech leaving on their own.  

Offline Hatchclan

• CBB, CMA, & CDVH = SUCCESS
  • A Shoat
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 08:16:32 AM »
I'm hearing Texas to the ACC.   I just don't believe it.

It would be funny if somehow Texas could get left out in the cold on this, epecially considering they were the ones primaruly responsible for triggering the realignment. . .

Hate to say it, but....actually agree with you that I would love to see Texas be spurned by all the other conferences.

btw, primaruly....is not a word...in our dictionary.

if you are trying to coin a phrase and or word....try harder
Beer has food value, but food has no beer value.

Offline Turd F.

• Token Coonass
  • Boar
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 09:43:47 AM »

Offline aNiMaL

• Selling The Drama daily
  • Administrator
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2011, 10:28:46 AM »
Hawaii is also in talks with Big East.

Keep this here.
And so it was that later
As the miller told his tale
That her face, at first just ghostly,
Turned a whiter shade of pale

Offline Tampa TechnoHOG

• Boar
  • My boink is FIERCE!
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2011, 10:30:46 AM »
Interesting...

If the ACC were successful in locking down its current members and the higher echelon teams of the Big 12- are too skairt to want any part of the SEC, could that leave us with a lot of sloppy seconds left for the picking.  I know the SEC doesn't want to look like the aggressor, but if the 16 format is inevitable we may need to turn up the heat.
If you think you're above failure, you'll always be beneath success.

Offline Turd F.

• Token Coonass
  • Boar
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2011, 11:33:48 AM »

Offline LashHog

• is not dead in East End
  • King of the Hogs
  • WooPig
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2011, 11:50:30 AM »
If Pitt and Syracuse go to the ACC I'm guessing that means W. Va. is coming to the SEC.
It is better to be a human being dissatisfied than a pig satisfied; better to be Socrates dissatisfied than a fool satisfied.

Offline papermill

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2011, 12:02:02 PM »
If Pitt and Syracuse go to the ACC I'm guessing that means W. Va. is coming to the SEC.

Well culturally it is kind of the Alabama of the north.

Whew, I was afraid GT was going to be left out in the cold.  Now it looks like there will be 4 big conferences and they'll be in one of them.  Even if it is the 4th best one that's good.  I have one team in one, one team in the other, they never collide, even have Minnie in a 3rd, although they probably will suck forever.  It is all good.

amazing that the arrogance of Texas has destroyed what has been the 2nd best conference over the long haul for the last 15 years

Offline Death By Sooiecide

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2011, 01:54:08 PM »
UConn wants in the ACC.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/6989031/uconn-huskies-aggressively-seeking-acc-move-source-says

Would Vitale be able to contain himself with Duke, UNC, Syracuse, and UConn in the same conference?

Offline Satch

• brings nothing to the discussion.
  • Boar
  • I'm crazy for these cupcakes, cousin !
    • The good guys always win... even in the 80's!
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2011, 01:59:13 PM »
UConn wants in the ACC.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/6989031/uconn-huskies-aggressively-seeking-acc-move-source-says

Would Vitale be able to contain himself with Duke, UNC, Syracuse, and UConn in the same conference?
at his age, he probably has problems containing himself regardless
Keep Calm, and get Fired Up!

Offline Cerdo

• I am Strawman
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2011, 02:07:24 PM »
So, here's another thought I just had.... I think everyone can figure out that a lot of movement, especially from the Big 10 and the ACC to a lesser extent, are essentially moves to pressure Notre Dame and Texas in to choosing sides. I also think Rutgers is a school that bears watching because at some point someone is going to try and see if there is a long term strategy to use that school as a base to develop a college football fanbase in the greater NYC region, probably the Big 10.

Assuming that the cap really is 16 or 14 teams per mega conference, at what point do top conference executives start dreaming about drumming a weak school or two OUT of a conference to make room for someone better?

Offline fuentecigar

• A Shoat
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2011, 02:23:53 PM »
Assuming that the cap really is 16 or 14 teams per mega conference, at what point do top conference executives start dreaming about drumming a weak school or two OUT of a conference to make room for someone better?
I have wondered about that, myself. If, however unlikely, the Big 12 can salvage anything; do they allow someone like Baylor to remain?

Offline Cerdo

• I am Strawman
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2011, 02:42:48 PM »
I know there is a ton of posturing going on by the Sooners and Horns and ACC and, well, everyone - but still...I think they have to try to salvage the bad marriage and keep the Big 12/Texas Conference together.   BYU is going to find that they need a home badly after finding zero quality opponents to play late in the year and Texas will suffer the same issues.  Room is running out for the Sooners to drag Okie Lite along with them and their future role as the Central Time Zone hayseeds of the Pac Whatever is going to frick them badly long term. 

Offline fuentecigar

• A Shoat
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2011, 02:58:19 PM »
I think you are right. Texas, truth be known, has left themselves in a precarious position. Who would have thought? The college landscape is in for some major changes.

Offline nobu

• A Shoat
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2011, 03:35:35 PM »
A report that hit the wire 20 mins ago reports that Pac-12 is putting together a package right now to get texas TT ou and osu in a package deal. They are working on the work around to texas' long horn network. I think this time tomorrow you will see most of the dominoes falling into place.  Sec should probably gobble gobble a tcu and west virginia with TAMU- also one other.

edit
sorry here is the link
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Report-Pac12-working-out-details-to-bring-in-Texas-and-OU.html
I realized this is not so easy to find.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 03:38:26 PM by nobu »

Offline nobu

• A Shoat
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2011, 04:06:03 PM »
The dominoes are falling in twitter guys. WVU just announced in a diatribe it will keep its options open (wink sec)

Offline ColdPork

• Boar
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2011, 04:07:45 PM »
The dominoes are falling in twitter guys. WVU just announced in a diatribe it will keep its options open (wink sec)

Yep. Several Twitter reports in last hour that WV has submitted paperwork to SEC.

Offline nobu

• A Shoat
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2011, 04:11:17 PM »
it will not happen, but god I wish the other two would be TCU (to help open a dallas pipeline for the hogs) and s florida, only because I do not ever want to see flor state or miami in the SEC, s. florida would be a good addition, every conference needs more than one vandy errg ole miss.

Offline wmr

• Locally Grown, 100% Organic
  • King of the Hogs
  • (.) (.)
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2011, 04:18:39 PM »
I wouldn't mind TCU either.  Good at baseball and a Vandy for the west.  They won't be good at football forever.  It would be nice to have a few conference games in DFW.
LSU fans are tres gauche.

Offline nobu

• A Shoat
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2011, 04:24:30 PM »
Yeah, I mentioned all of that on a different razorback forum and got called an idiot several times.  TCU makes sense if you are a SEC and a razorback fan. But who knows.

there are going to be a lot of schools left over out of the big east and big12 . Im in twitter right now bouncing thoughts off of columnists that are covering this nationally. Ill keep you guys posted if I get anything good.

Offline papermill

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2011, 04:26:16 PM »
TCU and S. FL. are sitting on recruiting goldmines if they ever got the advantage of an SEC profile.  I know TCU went a long time not being good in the SWC way back when but that was about 3-4 million people ago in the Metroplex.

WOOPIG.NET   © 2014  Jackson Technologies

Page created in 0.29 seconds with 21 queries.