Welcome, Guest! Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Conference Chaos/Rumblings...  (Read 46733 times)

Offline Pumpkin Escobar

• Rocky Mountain High
  • King of the Hogs
  • An image of excellence.
Re: Conference Chaos/Rumblings...
« Reply #100 on: September 21, 2011, 12:07:48 AM »
If TAMU still decides to come we will start to hear a LOT more TCU and Louisville rumors.

No we won't unless you start them. TCU has never been in our radar and UK will not want Louisville in this conference.
An té nach leigheasann im nó uisce beatha, ní aon leigheas ar.

Tiocfaidh ár lá! Éireann go brách!

Offline Das Uberschwein

• Resident Drecksau
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #101 on: September 21, 2011, 12:09:58 AM »

No we won't unless you start them. TCU has never been in our radar and UK will not want Louisville in this conference.

Yeah, unless something crazy happens there likely won't be an addition of schools located in states which already house SEC schools.

Offline nobu

• A Shoat
« Reply #102 on: September 21, 2011, 12:15:19 AM »
I read them all day (rumors). The latest is TCU to the big12. With still an internetz full of TCU to SEC rumors. TCU is not under contract atm. And would be an easy add.

Mizzou is not leaving now. TAMU is hellbent on leaving. WVA was already told "no thank you" and might make the SEC look bad to go back and recant that.
As far as the in state agreement, that is a verbal agreement and some arms could be twisted in Kentucky.
All this being said I still think the SEC may stay at 13 schools for a season. But all of this is conjecture. You guys can moan and whine that rumors do not exist all you want. I pretend my wife doesnt exist at times too... but then she rears her ugly head.

Offline Das Uberschwein

• Resident Drecksau
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #103 on: September 21, 2011, 12:18:13 AM »
I read them all day (rumors). The latest is TCU to the big12. With still an internetz full of TCU to SEC rumors. TCU is not under contract atm. And would be an easy add.

Mizzou is not leaving now. TAMU is hellbent on leaving. WVA was already told "no thank you" and might make the SEC look bad to go back and recant that.
As far as the in state agreement, that is a verbal agreement and some arms could be twisted in Kentucky.
All this being said I still think the SEC may stay at 13 schools for a season. But all of this is conjecture. You guys can moan and whine that rumors do not exist all you want. I pretend my wife doesnt exist at times too... but then she rears her ugly head.

TCU to the Big 12 sounds much more realistic. But, who knows these days? I saw an article on the Sporting News online that said Texass was sniffing around at the ACC. Craziness.

Offline Mike Slive

• Boar
« Reply #104 on: September 21, 2011, 12:25:23 AM »
But all of this is conjecture.ou You guys can moan and whine that rumors do not exist all ywant. I pretend my wife doesnt exist at times too... but then she rears her ugly head.

WTFuck are you talking about?  ALL that exist is rumors so far.  And yes, your wife does give some ugly head.

Offline Pumpkin Escobar

• Rocky Mountain High
  • King of the Hogs
  • An image of excellence.
« Reply #105 on: September 21, 2011, 01:14:33 AM »

Ain't no school whose stadium is named after a gawddamn shitty pizza chain gonna get an invite from the SEC.
An té nach leigheasann im nó uisce beatha, ní aon leigheas ar.

Tiocfaidh ár lá! Éireann go brách!

Offline reverendhog

• Chaplain of teh woopussy
  • Wild Hog
« Reply #106 on: September 21, 2011, 01:21:47 AM »
"PAC 12" announcing they are just fine with 12 members. Don't need any other teams to add to their conference, thank you very much.
He who learns must suffer. And in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God. - Aeschylus

Offline PigBangTheory

• Boar
  • Sacha is my doppleganger!
« Reply #107 on: September 21, 2011, 08:07:08 AM »
They would have to, unless they add a third new team in the west (Kansas?).

We might be going back to the old (2 permanent, 1 rotating) schedule.   Who's ready to play Tennessee again every year?

Kansas blew it when they ran off the only coach in 40 years worth a aMm to be on campus. They had serious
momentum to upgrade facilities but that's pretty much come to a screeching halt. They still think the BigTen+?
or the Pac10+2+? needs them because the basketball program is a national treasure. Mizzou to the SEC will
pretty much eviscerate recruiting for KU foosball. KU should have been throwin' money at football for years, but
they didn't and now, they still suck. Guess that's why all the upheaval in the AD, serious ball droppin' goin' on.
Hire Nutt.

Offline hogggdadi

• Tush Hog
  • I'm watching you on the pig. always
« Reply #108 on: September 21, 2011, 08:27:37 AM »
I think the point OU is trying to make in the press is precisely on point.  Texass needs to concede to more equal revenue sharing, get rid of the longwhorn network, and then for fun they want Beebe out.  Revenue and than Whorn network has everyone pissed off.  Give everyone more of an equal share, and the conference stabilizes, and will be attractive to teams that might want in.  If they stay at 9, they won't survive.  They better get back to 12.
You only have to be the best team today.

Offline boomer_sooie

• Boar
« Reply #109 on: September 21, 2011, 08:35:21 AM »
"PAC 12" announcing they are just fine with 12 members. Don't need any other teams to add to their conference, thank you very much.

I can't wait to see how OU tries to spin this aMm. Apparently its last proposal to stay in the Big 12 was for the current Commissioner to step down and for there to be drastic changes in the Longhorn network. Turns out the PAC also wanted changes in the Longhorn Network for there to be equal distribution among all schools in the conference and Tejas said no. Now because OU really has no options they'll get to play in the Big 12 for a couple of more years while the Longhorn Network runs wild and free.

Offline Hackfuck McDouche

• With a name like Hackfuck, it has to be Good
  • King of the Hogs
  • Can I have YOUR vote? And a hot dog?
« Reply #110 on: September 21, 2011, 08:37:38 AM »
while the Longhorn Network runs wild and free.

and nobody carries it.  At this point, I believe there is a "Longhorn Network" as much as I believe SLU is putting out a "Billiken Network." 

If nobody can see it or hear it, does it actually exist?

/MINDFREAK

Offline PigBangTheory

• Boar
« Reply #111 on: September 21, 2011, 08:42:18 AM »

Didn't the SEC pretty much say the same thing about aTm and then did the 180 a week later. I think OU and OSU are gonna find a new
home, but who really fricking knows?
Hire Nutt.

Offline Cerdo

• I am Strawman
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #112 on: September 21, 2011, 08:51:02 AM »
I've been saying for the longest time that Oklahoma really had no options.  People are stupid and get to thinking that this is somehow related to how big of a football factory you have - heck, the SEC and Pac 12 both have plenty of football factories on the level of the Sooners.  Big Whoop.

The whole TV market thing is vastly overblown too.  We all know the "academic fit" is simply a front.  

OK is not favored by geography, footprint for a conference, tv market, culture or academics.  OK has no vast pool of recruits that anyone is going to fight over either.  It's been one big long bluff for a while for them simply because they were aware how bad it looked for them to hang to Texas' ass hairs.  Bluff over.  They're going to have to make the Big 12 work, which isn't really a bad option for them and Texas anyway.  

Bring in BYU, TCU and Houston and you have a fine 12 team conference that Texas still controls.  Bring in Boise and you have a media darling.  What's the negative for Texas and their little bitch in Norman?

Offline Tampa TechnoHOG

• Tush Hog
  • My boink is FIERCE!
« Reply #113 on: September 21, 2011, 08:57:49 AM »
I've been saying for the longest time that Oklahoma really had no options.  People are stupid and get to thinking that this is somehow related to how big of a football factory you have - heck, the SEC and Pac 12 both have plenty of football factories on the level of the Sooners.  Big Whoop.

The whole TV market thing is vastly overblown too.  We all know the "academic fit" is simply a front.  

OK is not favored by geography, footprint for a conference, tv market, culture or academics.  OK has no vast pool of recruits that anyone is going to fight over either.  It's been one big long bluff for a while for them simply because they were aware how bad it looked for them to hang to Texas' ass hairs.  Bluff over.  They're going to have to make the Big 12 work, which isn't really a bad option for them and Texas anyway.  

Bring in BYU, TCU and Houston and you have a fine 12 team conference that Texas still controls.  Bring in Boise and you have a media darling.  What's the negative for Texas and their little bitch in Norman?

There option out would be to follow Texas M&Ms to the SEC because I'm sure the SEC would take them.  But I think they like the taste of Texas' ass hairs.   :sick:

I'm really glad we had the cajones to step away when we did.
If you think you're above failure, you'll always be beneath success.

Offline PigBangTheory

• Boar
« Reply #114 on: September 21, 2011, 09:06:24 AM »
but who really fricking knows?

Recant of this statement. Cerdo knows.
Hire Nutt.

Offline Cerdo

• I am Strawman
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #115 on: September 21, 2011, 09:08:47 AM »
Give me one good reason why a conference with 2 national TV contracts, who is already getting played in every football watching house in OK, would want or need the Sooners.  
They have no recruits.  They have TV markets the size of Memphis or less and again, we're already in them.  They add nothing that the SEC doesn't already have, in spades.  

Texas A&M was the prize for the SEC - a huge footprint in Texas local news and the ability to claim Texas as SEC country.  A&M has the big budget and alumni base.  They're good enough in all the sports.  They bring upside while bringing few demands, unlike the Sooners and Longhorns.  

The SEC wants a school in NC or VA.  They'd fall back and take Mizzou simply for the purposes of blocking out the Big 10 and completing a 14th and I'm not sure they even need a 14th team - it may stay 13 for a while.  

We aren't going to 16 team mega conferences - that's always been media bullshit that the herd believes.  Everyone is going to max out at 14 because after that, there really isn't anyone out there for the big conferences that adds anything substantial.  

The Big 10 wants Notre Dame and knows that at some point Frosted Tips University is the smart long term move so that you can have a toe hold for trying to actually create college football fans in the biggest market that exists.   Mizzou is their fallback and UConn is going to be somebody's fall back as well - Big 10 or ACC.  

I may be all wrong but I just think that almost all the stuff we have heard for 2 years is misinformation and spin and posturing.  Once you really look at it all from each player's perspective, it doesn't look at all like what we keep hearing from ESPN and such. 

« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 09:12:38 AM by Cerdo »

Offline Tusk till Dawn

• Frick it
  • Boar
  • We're Doing It Live
« Reply #116 on: September 21, 2011, 09:09:41 AM »
I'd rather eat aMm and die than see OK and OK St. in the SEC.
Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night keeps TTD from his Hot Damn.

Offline PigBangTheory

• Boar
« Reply #117 on: September 21, 2011, 09:13:54 AM »
I don't see them in the SEC, but I can the PAC? I may be wrong, but if the PAC? is willing to add Utah and Colorado, I could certainly see OU added along with OSU.
Hire Nutt.

Offline Tampa TechnoHOG

• Tush Hog
  • My boink is FIERCE!
« Reply #118 on: September 21, 2011, 09:16:58 AM »
Give me one good reason why a conference with 2 national TV contracts, who is already getting played in every football watching house in OK, would want or need the Sooners.  
They have no recruits.  They have TV markets the size of Memphis or less and again, we're already in them.  They add nothing that the SEC doesn't already have, in spades.  

Texas A&M was the prize for the SEC - a huge footprint in Texas local news and the ability to claim Texas as SEC country.  A&M has the big budget and alumni base.  They're good enough in all the sports.  They bring upside while bringing few demands, unlike the Sooners and Longhorns.  

The SEC wants a school in NC or VA.  They'd fall back and take Mizzou simply for the purposes of blocking out the Big 10 and completing a 14th and I'm not sure they even need a 14th team - it may stay 13 for a while.  

We aren't going to 16 team mega conferences - that's always been media bullshit that the herd believes.  Everyone is going to max out at 14 because after that, there really isn't anyone out there for the big conferences that adds anything substantial.  

The Big 10 wants Notre Dame and knows that at some point Frosted Tips University is the smart long term move so that you can have a toe hold for trying to actually create college football fans in the biggest market that exists.   Mizzou is their fallback and UConn is going to be somebody's fall back as well - Big 10 or ACC.  

I may be all wrong but I just think that almost all the stuff we have heard for 2 years is misinformation and spin and posturing.  Once you really look at it all from each player's perspective, it doesn't look at all like what we keep hearing from ESPN and such. 

I could be wrong, but I do not think the SEC would decline OK like like they did WVA.  They may want a VA Tech or a NC, but unlike the Big East the ACC has taken steps to ensure they do not lose any of their members.  If OK approached the SEC I just don't see us saying no.
If you think you're above failure, you'll always be beneath success.

Offline PigBangTheory

• Boar
« Reply #119 on: September 21, 2011, 09:23:34 AM »
Worst case scenario is, the SEC and media hunker down and start counting beans and the process of culling teams begins. I realize this is a
falling sky possibility and at this point the SEC seems immune to the viral nature of what is going on in collegiate athletics. But anything ain't
suprising me anymore in regards to this aMm. It certainly would be d-vasting to lose members of this conference.
Hire Nutt.

Offline Cerdo

• I am Strawman
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #120 on: September 21, 2011, 09:30:36 AM »
I'll answer my own question, just to play Devil's Advocate to my theories.

The SEC already had a huge slate of exciting and meaningful conference games late in the season.  There are so many good SEC games on a November Saturday right now that TV runs out of good space for them and ends up sticking 2 good games against each other on the 2 ESPN channels going head to head.  The 11 am game sometimes in November is better than anything the Big 12 or Big East and ACC can offer up sometimes for 2 pm.  This conference now also plays big games early in the season for TV, like Dead Trees vs MS State and big cross conference games for TV like LSU vs WV and GA vs Boise and bammer against Penn St. 

What the Sooners would bring is one more big time program that would give you a steady slate of 8-9 new intriguing conference matchups.  It would be enough to possibly force the SEC to build it's own package of 4 channels and an SEC network like I have on my TV with the Big 10.  OK and A&M now give you essentially 12 full time football powers with history to go with KY and Vandy.  Now matter the match up, you could count on 4 or more matchups every Saturday to put on at prime time on 3 to 4 different SEC owned channels or essentially all day long on CBS/ESPN networks.  The thing is, if you go to only SEC TV on premium channels, you also run the risk of doing to your product long term what big time boxing has slowly done to its product. 

Offline Cerdo

• I am Strawman
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #121 on: September 21, 2011, 09:32:42 AM »
Worst case scenario is, the SEC and media hunker down and start counting beans and the process of culling teams begins. I realize this is a
falling sky possibility and at this point the SEC seems immune to the viral nature of what is going on in collegiate athletics. But anything ain't
suprising me anymore in regards to this aMm. It certainly would be d-vasting to lose members of this conference.
I think at some point, this could certainly happen.  I don't think any SEC teams would be in danger but if I were Arizona State or Boston College or someone like that, I would certainly look to improve my profile within my power conference. 

Offline Hognarok

• Tush Hog
  • Port Tobacco carriage maker
« Reply #122 on: September 21, 2011, 09:36:55 AM »

This has probably been covered before but how exactly does a 13-team schedule in a split division conference work?

Offline Clark

• Putting my Kools out on your floor.
  • King of the Hogs
  • UPGRAYEDD. Two D's for a double dose of pimpin'.
« Reply #123 on: September 21, 2011, 09:40:55 AM »
This has probably been covered before but how exactly does a 13-team schedule in a split division conference work?
Might as well just ask how the posi trac on the rear end of a Plymouth works.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 09:45:04 AM by Clark »
The iconic 'alien' is to us what we are to apes: small, pale, big headed, and with unfathomable technology. We even abduct them for medical experiments. Mind blown.
--Rage

Offline copenhaWgen

• Wild Hog
  • Satisfied since 1986
« Reply #124 on: September 21, 2011, 09:43:13 AM »

It doesn't.  It is impossible.

WOOPIG.NET   © 2014  Jackson Technologies

Page created in 0.284 seconds with 22 queries.