Welcome, Guest! Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Penn State Child Molestation Scandal  (Read 113889 times)

Offline cooter

• Boar
Re: Penn State Child Molestation Scandal
« Reply #100 on: November 08, 2011, 08:25:50 AM »
If you were to not know what either looked like, which picture would you think did the raping?  The ones above or this one, the V.P. for finance and administration at Penn St.

Offline BigDavis

• Squirrel hater
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #101 on: November 08, 2011, 08:30:27 AM »
One thing Kim Jones pointed out in the youtube video above is that in 1998 and in 2002 Joe Pa was not the frail senile old man he is today. Back then everyone remarked on how young he still was. Senility cannot be blamed for him not following up with the police after learning Sandusky was a rapist.

Offline notaslibro

• Super Mod
  • Administrator
  • King of the Hogs
  • They buy me nice school clothes.
« Reply #102 on: November 08, 2011, 08:47:26 AM »
COLLEGE FOOTBALL: CITRUS BOWL; Taylor's Record Runs Lift Florida

By TARIK EL-BASHIR
Published: January 02, 1998

It was the final game of a distinguished career for Florida's Fred Taylor, whose record-setting performance today against Penn State would be one he won't forget.

''I just wanted to go out with a bang my senior year,'' Taylor said. ''We thought we could run all over them.''

And Taylor did, carrying 43 times for 234 yards as Florida ran over Penn State, 21-6, before a crowd of 72,940 at the Citrus Bowl.

Taylor's performance was the best of his career, the best in a bowl game by a Florida running back and the best in the 52-year history of the Citrus Bowl. In Gators history, Taylor's effort was second only to Emmitt Smith's 316 yards against New Mexico in a 1989 regular-season game.

Penn State's defense simply could not stop Taylor. And Penn State's offense, without the all-America tailback Curtis Enis and the outstanding wide receiver Joe Jurevicius, who were both ineligible, simply could not score a touchdown.

Twice in the second quarter, the Nittany Lions were halted on fourth-down plays inside the Florida 2-yard line. Mike McQueary, the Nittany Lions' quarterback, never missed the powerful legs of Enis and the sure hands of Jurevicius so much.

The first goal-line attempt failed when running back Chris Eberly was stopped a half-foot from the goal line by a swarming Gators defense, led by Tim Beauchamp. The second attempt, on the Nittany Lions' next possession, failed when McQueary's pass was picked off by free safety Mike Harris.

''The goal-line stands were probably the turning point of the game,'' said Steve Spurrier, who won for the 83d time in his 100-game career as Florida's coach. ''We handed the ball to Fred Taylor and tried not to beat ourselves. He was sensational.''

Florida and Penn State started the season as the teams to beat. Back in August, Penn State was ranked No. 1 in the Associated Press preseason poll of reporters and the Gators were picked to win the national title in the USA Today/ESPN coaches poll.

''I thought we'd be in Pasadena,'' Penn State linebacker Brandon Short said. ''But it didn't work out.''

http://www.nytimes.com/1998/01/02/sports/college-football-citrus-bowl-taylor-s-record-runs-lift-florida.html
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 09:32:11 AM by notaslibro »

Online Sliver72

• Doesn't roll on Shabbos.
  • Boar
« Reply #103 on: November 08, 2011, 09:06:35 AM »
http://www.nytimes.com/1998/01/02/sports/college-football-citrus-bowl-taylor-s-record-runs-lift-florida.html
Needs to be tweaked. I spent about five minutes clicking on that red text in the article. Nothing. Link is broken, sir. Fix and repost, please.
...as for me and my house, we will call the Hogs.

Offline big_pig

• King of the Hogs
  • Avatars were made to be broken, but not this one!
« Reply #104 on: November 08, 2011, 09:23:22 AM »

Mike McQueary, the Nittany Lions' quarterback, never missed the powerful legs of Enis

I am not claiming I am right, I am saying I don't get it.

Offline CharlieHog

• Fanboy
  • King of the Hogs
    • Hog Nation
« Reply #105 on: November 08, 2011, 10:13:08 AM »
http://www.registerguard.com/web/sports/27142688-41/state-penn-paterno-coach-sandusky.html.csp

Does anyone believe the coach fulfilled the moral requirement?

No, Paterno failed. And it is time for him to go.

Plenty of other heads should roll. The athletic director and vice president are finished, whatever happens in court. Penn State president Graham Spanier should be gone, too. There’s culpability everywhere in this disgusting, sordid mess.

McQueary failed, too, and I don’t care that he was a low-level employee and Sandusky was a powerful presence. And anyone else who knew and did nothing should be summarily dismissed.

You too, JoePa.

And please, spare us the hand-wringing over a tarnished legacy.

Offline cooter

• Boar
« Reply #106 on: November 08, 2011, 11:00:53 AM »
I'm not excusing this guy but the only one I would give any slack to would be the G.A.  He had to be no more than 23 or so and a kid.  He did what most kids do when they see trouble, he called Dad.  Dad gave him instructions from there.  He trusted that those in power over him would do the right thing.

Offline Reaganite

• Wild Hog
  • SEC officiating

We can rebuild him.

Offline TC

• Boar
« Reply #108 on: November 08, 2011, 11:18:32 AM »
Paterno's press conference should be interesting today.  Apparently its only about this weekend's football game.  I for one hope this scenario plays out:

Reporter #1:  Can you please comment on the whole children being molested by your former coach?
Paterno:  No comment.  This press conference is about this weekend's game only.
Reporter #2:  Since you won't answer that last question could you at least pass it on to your superiors?
Paterno: /stunned

Paterno cancels news conference amid scandal

http://news.yahoo.com/paterno-cancels-news-conference-amid-scandal-164436956.html

Offline efd840

• A Shoat
« Reply #109 on: November 08, 2011, 11:19:37 AM »
I'm not excusing this guy but the only one I would give any slack to would be the G.A.  He had to be no more than 23 or so and a kid.  He did what most kids do when they see trouble, he called Dad.  Dad gave him instructions from there.  He trusted that those in power over him would do the right thing.

Yes to a point.

Where he fails is that he stayed with the program and continued to see Sandusky with kids as late as a couple of years ago.  For close to 10 years, he got up and went to work knowing what was happening.

Every time he came in after hours, walked past the showers, or merely saw Sandusky's picture on the wall he had to think that it's possible he's off farking some kid right now.  How he stayed without becoming a drunk, druggie, or suicide victim is beyond me. 

Truth be told, I don't see how he kept from whipping Sandusky's ass when he caught him way back in 2002.  I'm pretty confident I would have reacted with violence.

As the facts look now, he's guilty of a serious moral failure too.  Not as bad as JoePa, but serious none the less.

He does have a possible salvation.  This looks like an investigation done by the state AG's office.  Someone tipped them off and got the ball rolling.  If it was the GA, then I retract my statements.

Offline hawgfanatic

• A Shoat
  • woopig.net
« Reply #110 on: November 08, 2011, 12:36:47 PM »
Yes to a point.

Where he fails is that he stayed with the program and continued to see Sandusky with kids as late as a couple of years ago.  For close to 10 years, he got up and went to work knowing what was happening.

Every time he came in after hours, walked past the showers, or merely saw Sandusky's picture on the wall he had to think that it's possible he's off farking some kid right now.  How he stayed without becoming a drunk, druggie, or suicide victim is beyond me. 

Truth be told, I don't see how he kept from whipping Sandusky's ass when he caught him way back in 2002.  I'm pretty confident I would have reacted with violence.

As the facts look now, he's guilty of a serious moral failure too.  Not as bad as JoePa, but serious none the less.

He does have a possible salvation.  This looks like an investigation done by the state AG's office.  Someone tipped them off and got the ball rolling.  If it was the GA, then I retract my statements.

I think you're safe in your statement. According to the Kim Jones interview posted earlier (a must listen to if you're following this), I think it was a local school that Sandusky was "volunteering" at to help children that blew the whistle and got the investigation going this time around.

I've tried to defend in my mind the GA just because he was 23 at the time and dealing with somebody that everybody looked up to, but you make some great points and there's more in the Kim Jones interview about the very scenario you talk about (the GA - now assistant coach - seeing Sandusky at closed practices with kids) that you would like to think would make him want to make sure somebody in the right positions knew what was going on.

Just a sickening story all the way around.

Offline Rob

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #111 on: November 08, 2011, 12:52:49 PM »
Paterno was asked to resign.  He said no.  frick em

Offline cooter

• Boar
« Reply #112 on: November 08, 2011, 12:53:16 PM »
Yes to a point.

I see your point but you have to look at it psychologically.  Elephants are controlled when they are very young by placing a chain around their ankle that hurts and they can't break.  Older elephants are controlled by small pieces of rope because it is instilled in them even though they could very easily break that rope.

This boy at 23 or so saw a much older coach who was probably regarded as a badass.  In his mind, he couldn't do anything to that coach.   I believe that is why he didn't whip his ass right then and there.

The boy then was rewarded for his "silence" by being given progressively better jobs in the department.  That part is inexcusable.

Offline bleedinred

• Tush Hog
« Reply #113 on: November 08, 2011, 01:24:51 PM »
I see your point but you have to look at it psychologically.  Elephants are controlled when they are very young by placing a chain around their ankle that hurts and they can't break.  Older elephants are controlled by small pieces of rope because it is instilled in them even though they could very easily break that rope.

This boy at 23 or so saw a much older coach who was probably regarded as a badass.  In his mind, he couldn't do anything to that coach.   I believe that is why he didn't whip his ass right then and there.

The boy then was rewarded for his "silence" by being given progressively better jobs in the department.  That part is inexcusable.

Why didn't the GA's dad follow up?  It was quite clear in the Grand Jury report that the GA revealed in detail to his father all that he had seen.  Seems to me he is just as much to blame.

Offline Ty Webb

• Your uncle molests collies.
  • King of the Hogs
  • Hog football will win 6 in '14
« Reply #114 on: November 08, 2011, 01:28:44 PM »
Fire that old senile fricker and start cleaning up this mess at your school PSU.
Don't sell yourself short Judge, you're a tremendous slouch.

Offline efd840

• A Shoat
« Reply #115 on: November 08, 2011, 01:30:44 PM »

Deep down, I understand that part and fully admit it is hard for me to honestly place myself in his shoes.  I'm a lot older and I work for a law enforcement agency that regularly prosecutes cases like this one.

I don't like it, but he has to get a pass for 2002 and the time shortly thereafter for the reasons you stated.

This is where I get crossways with him.  He's gotten progressively rewarded and some of that has to be at least tacitly in exchange for his silence.  If nothing else happens, I guess you could still argue that he gets a pass. 

But in 2007 Sandusky shows up at a closed practice with another victim.  The GA knows exactly what's about to happen to that kid and he knows the school will cover it up.  He's no longer a wet behind the ears assistant in 2007.  He's a grown man.  All he had to do was walk into the state police barracks or state AG's office and tell his tale but apparently he does nothing at all.

Inexcusable.

Offline Stephen Colboar

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #116 on: November 08, 2011, 01:43:39 PM »
But in 2007 Sandusky shows up at a closed practice with another victim.  The GA knows exactly what's about to happen to that kid and he knows the school will cover it up.  He's no longer a wet behind the ears assistant in 2007.  He's a grown man.  All he had to do was walk into the state police barracks or state AG's office and tell his tale but apparently he does nothing at all.

Inexcusable.

HOW THE frick DOES ANYONE NOT ASK "WHY IS JERRY WITH THAT KID?"

It's beyond inexcusable... it's fricking disgusting.

The level of complete disregard of any moral standing is absurd.
If they'll cover up child rape, they'll cover up anything.

The Big Ten's silence is pretty disgusting as well.
House should be cleaned. Big Ten needs to kick their ass out of the conference.

Offline big_pig

• King of the Hogs
  • Avatars were made to be broken, but not this one!
« Reply #117 on: November 08, 2011, 01:45:06 PM »
Fire that old senile fricker and start cleaning up this mess at your school PSU.

Yes.  There are Penn St fans saying JoePa should be excused since he did the bare minimum necessary. In this case, the bare minimum isn't even a humane (or human) response.  I feel sick just thinking about what happened, I can't imagine just doing "just enough" and then going about your business like it's not that big of a deal.

If this was some 40 year old head coach, with no deeply rooted ties to the school, he'd already be fired.  Paterno is getting a pass (from some) because they're romanticizing his tenure there.  His tenure is tarnished beyond repair.  Fire him and clean house.   
I am not claiming I am right, I am saying I don't get it.

Offline FayettenamHog

• wants you to go fuck yourself
  • King of the Hogs
  • Bielemania
« Reply #118 on: November 08, 2011, 01:47:21 PM »

link?

Offline Law_Hawg

• Placidly murderous giant
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #119 on: November 08, 2011, 01:54:36 PM »

I find it hard to believe Paterno didn't know the details of what the GA saw. 

If a GA walks into your office and tells you that he saw Sandusky doing inappropriate things with a little boy in the showers, the first question you should ask is something to the effect of "what kind of inappropriate things?"  Otherwise, how do you know if the incident is serious enough to be reported to your superiors in the first place?

Either he knew the details and he's lying now about not knowing them or he wilfully didn't ask for the details because he already knew Sandusky had a problem with boys and didn't want to get involved, so he didn't ask for any details and passed the buck on to others at the school.

The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania may not be able to prove it in a court proceeding, but I think Paterno's lying about that part of things.  It just doesn't make any sense otherwise.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 01:58:58 PM by Law_Hawg »
Caedite eos! Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.

Offline Rob

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #120 on: November 08, 2011, 01:55:31 PM »
link?

KegsnEggs Adam Kramer
RT @RappUp Times article confirms what I heard this morning. The Board of Trustees voted Paterno out, he was asked to resign and refused.

Offline BigDavis

• Squirrel hater
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #121 on: November 08, 2011, 01:57:54 PM »
Doesn't Rick Shaeffer have a similar charity that sucks at the teat of the UA??? I hate to say it but it would not surprise me to find out he's  up to something similar. That is one creepy man.

Offline TheOtherWhiteMeat

• Administrator
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #122 on: November 08, 2011, 02:04:40 PM »
It's over for Paterno. What parent would let their kid play for him at this point?

Offline cooter

• Boar
« Reply #123 on: November 08, 2011, 02:07:32 PM »
^^^^ Dude, you are totally off base there.  I didn't quote it to give you a chance to remove it.  @BD

Offline Nolapigz

• Tush Hog
  • Die hipster, die.
« Reply #124 on: November 08, 2011, 02:14:50 PM »
^^^^ Dude, you are totally off base there.  I didn't quote it to give you a chance to remove it.  @BD

Seriously, I don't care for the guy either but WTF?  That's one Starkville of a leap there. 

WOOPIG.NET   © 2014  Jackson Technologies

Page created in 0.35 seconds with 20 queries.