Welcome, Guest! Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Garrett Uekman has passed away.  (Read 17160 times)

Offline big_pig

• King of the Hogs
  • Avatars were made to be broken, but not this one!
Re: Garrett Uekman has passed away.
« Reply #175 on: November 24, 2011, 03:01:10 PM »
Interesting that on this page are the words Hitler and appeasement.

neville chamberlain had a wicked stache
I am not claiming I am right, I am saying I don't get it.

Offline Brittneyfallon

• A Shoat
  • woopig.net 3.0
« Reply #176 on: December 02, 2011, 03:26:44 PM »
This hits very close to home for me. I suffered sudden cardiac arrest (SCA) back in February at the age of 30. No problems or signs beforehand, and I was generally in good health at the time. Happened on a Saturday morning at my parents' house, and I just happened to be lucky enough to have someone around who found me in time to start doing chest compressions until the paramedics arrived and were able to shock me back to life. They had to do it again on the helicopter ride to Fort Smith, though I only know all of this information secondhand - my first memory after the event was waking up in the hospital the following Tuesday. Doctors still aren't sure what caused it, though my heart muscle was slightly below normal strength afterward, and I now have an ICD in my chest as a precaution. Luckily it has not been needed so far, and my heart muscle strength is now normal. I started running again, lifting weights, and eating a little healthier - and sometimes I complain about this pager-sized device that sticks out of my chest - but I am alive and able to complain. I wish everyone that suffered such a trauma could be so lucky.

My doctors told me that the survival rate of SCA outside of the hospital is around 5%. Movies and TV greatly exaggerate the survival rate to the point that people don't understand just how unusual it is for someone to suffer sudden cardiac arrest and live to tell about it. Especially without some form of brain trauma from the lack of blood circulation (that's why those chest compressions are so vital). I'm lucky. Damn lucky. So it gets to me when I read about someone who wasn't as fortunate as I was, and it reminds me all over again just how fricking fragile life is and how important it is to tell the important people in your life just how much they mean to you. I didn't know Garrett, but you can tell a lot about a person by the company they keep - and everyone that speaks about him seems to have been better for knowing him. As has been said in this thread many times, hug your kids tonight and don't miss an opportunity to show them how much you love them.

It hits close to me as well, I was an allstar softball player.. I was on 3 traveling softball teams.. I have Cardiomyopathy can also be known as SCD Sudden Cardiac Death.. I was 13 years old when I found out.. I have had and ICD since then, I found out by falling dead at the skating rink in town which luckily is less than a mile away from the hospital so I was thankfully saved... I am now 19... I never knew Garrett, but I feel like he is with me ALL of the time.. I have been shocked my ICD 22 times, 17 of those within an hour recently in september.. I go into surgery next week and I feel as though I have peace that Garrett is watching over me.. Like I said I never knew him, but I feel like I do now.

Offline rzrbkfan69

• Wild Hog
« Reply #177 on: December 02, 2011, 04:27:24 PM »

It hits close to me as well, I was an allstar softball player.. I was on 3 traveling softball teams.. I have Cardiomyopathy can also be known as SCD Sudden Cardiac Death.. I was 13 years old when I found out.. I have had and ICD since then, I found out by falling dead at the skating rink in town which luckily is less than a mile away from the hospital so I was thankfully saved... I am now 19... I never knew Garrett, but I feel like he is with me ALL of the time.. I have been shocked my ICD 22 times, 17 of those within an hour recently in september.. I go into surgery next week and I feel as though I have peace that Garrett is watching over me.. Like I said I never knew him, but I feel like I do now.

You were lucky that it was diagnosed when it was, many never do. Prayers are with you during your surgery.
You hear that? My friends are laughing at me!!! They are laughing at me! - Clark

Offline Fairweather Hog Fan

• Boar
« Reply #178 on: December 05, 2011, 04:04:24 PM »
Really good article that goes in-depth on the day he died.  Caleb Miller should read this.

http://www.arkansas-catholic.org/article.php?id=2798
Bolts bitches!

Offline Guardrail

• Tush Hog
« Reply #179 on: December 05, 2011, 04:23:05 PM »

Good luck on your surgery. Good thing you found out the issue.

Offline nordlaw

• Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.
  • A Shoat
« Reply #180 on: December 05, 2011, 10:27:55 PM »

Best of luck with the surgery...thoughts and prayers with you.

Offline Razordoc

• A Shoat
  • Boy, you look jus' like a hog.
« Reply #181 on: December 08, 2011, 06:43:38 AM »
My cousin forwarded this to me yesterday.  I thought everyone would find it moving, especially those of you went to Catholic High, or have sons who are alumni, or attend now.

Eulogy of Garrett Uekman
No Bystanders

Letting go of a good kid is hard to do.  Letting go of an exceptional kid is almost unbearable.   At Catholic High, we’re surrounded by boys who are striving to be exceptional young men.  You should see them.  They all enter our doors as scared, shaking little freshmen who are wondering if they can survive in a school with no girls and no air conditioning.  Then, as seniors, they graduate as confident young men who know that they are armed with strong faith, a strong work ethic, and the ability to endure life’s pitfalls. No easy roads are promised at Catholic High.  Instead, Catholic High promises the strength to rise to challenges and to be more than just an average man.  Oftentimes, we are fortunate to get a few freshmen who are not shaking and scared…we get a few of them who are quietly confident in their ability and revel in the challenges we present them.  That was Garrett Uekman.
Back in the days when iPhones were still new, when Facebook was still just for college kids, and back when Seth Armbrust actually had short hair,  Garrett Uekman came to Catholic High from one of the smallest parochial schools in the state.  Yes, he stood out.  Yes, he was easily identified as a gifted athlete and one of the smart kids.  But, more importantly, he slowly built a solid reputation for being a man of faith and a man who respected and adored his family.  To say that the other boys looked up to him is to say that Everest is a mountain.  He was just that good.
I teach a class of seniors in American Politics and my classroom is right next to a classroom of freshmen World History students.  And…every year, I try to make an impression on the freshmen by getting on to an exceptional senior for something small.  Years ago, I took Jake Bequette to the hall to get on to him and I did it just like this…..a couple of years ago I got onto Garrett Uekman, just like this….and then once I got on to Seth Armbrust just like this….The message was clear to the freshmen…the expectations are high here and no one is immune from correction.  Garrett, for his part, smiled through the entire exchange.  He knew what was happening and knew what his role was.  I heard one freshman say, “Man, if he’ll get onto to Garrett Uekman like that, God only knows what he’ll do to me.”  Garrett knew he was the example and reveled in it.
At Catholic High, we have one rule that encompasses all the others, one rule that transcends everything else and is at the heart of Christ’s message.  That rule is: Never be a bystander.  If your faith is tested, defend it.  If someone is hungry, feed him.  If one is downcast, encourage him.  If your test is difficult, prepare for it.  If your friends are troubled, step up.  If the little guy needs you, be there.  Bystanders watch life go by.  People like Garrett Uekman get in the game.  Bad things happen when bystanders are in the crowd.  Good things pour forth when people like Garrett step up.  You don’t live your dreams by twiddling your thumbs when action is called for.  You live your dreams by getting into the game.  It’s just that simple and Garrett was the embodiment of that spirit.
Another quick story….We have no tolerance for bullying at Catholic High.  Every school says that, but we mean it and we have some unorthodox ways for handling it.  A couple of years ago, I had a report that a big, tough freshman was bullying another freshman.  So, I called the boy into my office.  When the freshman walked in he was greeted by big tough Garrett Uekman and two other big tough senior football players.  I told the freshman that I had heard he was a bullying another kid and that it was going to stop.  I asked the seniors if they’d like to say anything and Garrett, in his letterman’s jacket, stood up and leaned in to the boy and said, “That’s not the way we do things here.  So let me be clear.  If it happens again, Mr. Straessle is not your problem…I am your problem.  Do you understand?”  The big tough freshman gritted his teeth and looked Garrett in the eye and said… “Yes sir.”  Problem solved.  You see, Garrett was a leader.  He got in to the game.  He was not going to be a bystander when he could have impact in a positive manner.  He made others, through his actions, want to be better.  What a gift.  What an example.
Danny, Michele, Meagan, please know that your Catholic High family grieves with you. Please know that your son was a North Star to many of us.  Please know that many Catholic High lives breathe easier because Garrett lived.
If there is a legacy that Garrett Uekman could leave for us, it would be to never be a bystander.  He lived a life of action backed by strong intentions.  He lived a life rooted in going the extra mile.  He lived a life of stepping up.  This I know….bystanders chase dreams.  People like Garret Uekman live them.
God bless you, Garrett.  God bless us all.

-Steve Straessle

"...we didn't come to paint.  We came to win the game".  "It's really a play we've worked ever since last year's game with LSU"  cBMFP, Nov. 27, 2010

Offline Hogtired

• Boar
« Reply #182 on: December 08, 2011, 09:22:55 AM »
We discussed this last night at a Christmas party and were considering asking Steve to sign it so we could frame it for the Uekman's but didn't want to get in the way of their grieving. Thoughts?
AYFSM?

Offline Count Porkula

• Adjust the base and let the Alpine Blast
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #183 on: December 08, 2011, 09:24:00 AM »
We discussed this last night at a Christmas party and were considering asking Steve to sign it so we could frame it for the Uekman's but didn't want to get in the way of their grieving. Thoughts?

it would be a nice gesture
Resonance...metal folding chairs or hard tile floors cannot be beaten when it comes to firing off a loud fart.

Offline Razordoc

• A Shoat
  • Boy, you look jus' like a hog.
« Reply #184 on: December 08, 2011, 09:53:20 AM »
it would be a nice gesture

Agreeance.  Heaven forbid, if it were one of my sons, I'd treasure it. 
"...we didn't come to paint.  We came to win the game".  "It's really a play we've worked ever since last year's game with LSU"  cBMFP, Nov. 27, 2010

Offline oddi

• A Shoat
« Reply #185 on: December 08, 2011, 12:10:27 PM »

Just talked to Steve. 

If you don't want to be a bystander here's what you do:

Write a check and send it to

Garrett Uekman Scholarship Fund
c/o Catholic High School Foundation
6300 Fr. Tribou St.
LR,AR 72205

This is what the family wants.
Do it before the end of the year if you need the tax benefit.

Do not be a bystander.

Offline Count Porkula

• Adjust the base and let the Alpine Blast
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #186 on: December 08, 2011, 02:12:21 PM »
SEC name Uekmann as honorary captain of the all SEC freshman team   :thumbup:
Resonance...metal folding chairs or hard tile floors cannot be beaten when it comes to firing off a loud fart.

Offline FueltoFire

• Tush Hog
  • Tits or GTFO
« Reply #187 on: December 08, 2011, 03:11:23 PM »
SEC name Uekmann as honorary captain of the all SEC freshman team   :thumbup:

Awesome.  Glad to see the SEC pay tribute.   ; :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Offline Hogtired

• Boar
« Reply #188 on: December 08, 2011, 03:13:27 PM »
Just talked to Steve. 

If you don't want to be a bystander here's what you do:

Write a check and send it to

Garrett Uekman Scholarship Fund
c/o Catholic High School Foundation
6300 Fr. Tribou St.
LR,AR 72205

This is what the family wants.
Do it before the end of the year if you need the tax benefit.

Do not be a bystander.

Have already done that.
AYFSM?

WOOPIG.NET   © 2014  Jackson Technologies

Page created in 0.302 seconds with 20 queries.