Welcome, Guest! Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Tennessee is a hot mess right now...  (Read 2438 times)

Offline Rob

• King of the Hogs
Tennessee is a hot mess right now...
« on: December 01, 2011, 08:21:00 AM »
http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/2011/trouble-on-rocky-top/?utm_source=SDS&utm_medium=twitter

Tennessee’s Program Is Rumored To Be Quite A Cluster Right Now
   Share Article Dec 1st, 2011
By Jon   

This year has been quite forgettable if you’re a Tennessee fan – but it was so bad, you just cannot forget about it.

The Vols started off red hot, lighting up the scoreboard in their first two football games, but once they hit stiffer competition, SEC competition, they were exposed and dominated on both sides of the ball.

There have been rumors of dysfunction at Tennessee for a while now, most notably among younger starts such as Da’Rick Rogers and Tyler Bray.

Furthermore, senior running back Tauren Poole spoke about the mess on WNOX-FM in Knoxville earlier this week:
“If you’d have told me Coach (Phillip) Fulmer would have gotten fired and then this coach, that coach, this strength coach, that position coach, I probably wouldn’t have came here because I knew it would have been a dysfunctional setup, an unstable program… It was a tough situation. It was a roller-coaster ride.”

“Guys kind of shut it down (against Kentucky). All the seniors, we cared. We cared more than a lot of those guys out there. And that’s expected, but we weren’t getting it back. Those guys have next year to look forward to. We don’t. My career is over at UT.”

“Coach Dooley is a very critical guy. He’s critical of his players and coaches. It’s criticism and you’ve got to take it in. Guys just got to have thick skin with Coach Dooley. He’s going to speak his mind. Every minute of the day, every moment, if he’s got an opinion, he’s going to tell you. That’s just the type of guy he is.”
Now, this has been rumored for quite some time within the Tennessee program, and Poole is probably telling people nothing they don’t already know or have not already figured.

Also, Tennessee graduate Tony Basilio, who also hosts a radio show, had some pretty head-scratching statements in his recent blog here:

Try this on for size: During the week of the Vandy game, Bray was asked in front of several upperclassmen by a member of the training staff if he completed a cursory workout exercise to which Bray shot back in the earshot of all ‘No. Not really. And I’m not going to do it. Why should I? Besides we’re only going to a shitty bowl game anyway.’ Sources tell me that the upperclassmen who heard this exchange were so incensed that they went to Derek Dooley who shrugged it off and did nothing about it. Another source told me that ‘Dooley shrugs several things off including the way Rogers back talks to everybody he possibly can.’ (More on this later).

On Rogers: Countless sources paint a picture of a guy who truly is allowed to operate in his own little world with little repercussion. Multiple sources say he’s constantly cussing and belittling Charlie Baggett his position coach with impunity. Say nothing of the way he talks to fellow wide receivers, other team members and support staff personnel. Jayson Swain and Wes Rucker were talking about him shouting at Baggett on the sidelines during the Kentucky game. I understand this goes on all the time. Not a one-time thing, but another day at the office. ‘This guy mouths off to anyone he can. If you got him on the show he would brag about it to ya. He doesn’t care.’
Now, there are a ton of Tennessee fans who don’t care for Basilio too much, but there is a ton of information in that post that fans can see happening…most notably about Da’Rick Rogers and his attitude.

There is a quite a bit happening on Rocky Top right now, and Derek Dooley has his plate full of tough, tough decisions. But that’s why they pay him the big bucks.

Offline Cerdo

• I am Strawman
  • King of the Hogs
Re: Tennessee is a hot mess right now...
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 08:28:00 AM »
Maybe in response to all of this, some reporter guy was on Finebaum yesterday and he painted a picture as dire as you can imagine regarding morale inside the program and among boosters.

Buyout this year or next year is 5 mil so they don't save anything financially but can you have a decent program if you have 4 coaches in 4 years?

Offline aNiMaL

• Selling The Drama daily
  • Administrator
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 08:37:34 AM »
They need someone in the people helpin business or somebody competent in big boy football. Their decline helps us so frick em and feed em fish heads.
And so it was that later
As the miller told his tale
That her face, at first just ghostly,
Turned a whiter shade of pale

Offline big_pig

• King of the Hogs
  • Avatars were made to be broken, but not this one!
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 08:41:33 AM »
They're pretty much forced to give him two more years, barring a Old Miss style meltdown next year.

I hope we end up going there next year.  THAT senior class would be the one Kiffin split on.  I expect many close half's and blowout finals for them.
I am not claiming I am right, I am saying I don't get it.

Offline Hogtired

• Boar
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 08:52:47 AM »
Dead Man Walking can shut down a program and he's available
AYFSM?

Offline Sliver72

• Doesn't roll on Shabbos.
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 09:05:02 AM »
Maybe in response to all of this, some reporter guy was on Finebaum yesterday and he painted a picture as dire as you can imagine regarding morale inside the program and among boosters.

Buyout this year or next year is 5 mil so they don't save anything financially but can you have a decent program if you have 4 coaches in 4 years?
Sometimes a complete scuttling of a project has to happen in order for there to be a full and complete recovery. If Dooley isn't the right man for the job, they should get him out of there and replace him with someone who can and will do the job. Either way, it's a shitty situation, though, to be sure. I'm SOOOO glad we didn't have to go through this when Hootie left. It almost happened, but thankfully it didn't. We got our guy and he was the guy we needed. How fortunate we were. Seriously.
...as for me and my house, we will call the Hogs.

Offline notaslibro

• Super Mod
  • Administrator
  • King of the Hogs
  • They buy me nice school clothes.
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 09:11:53 AM »
Sometimes a complete scuttling of a project has to happen in order for there to be a full and complete recovery. If Dooley isn't the right man for the job, they should get him out of there and replace him with someone who can and will do the job. Either way, it's a shitty situation, though, to be sure. I'm SOOOO glad we didn't have to go through this when Hootie left. It almost happened, but thankfully it didn't. We got our guy and he was the guy we needed. How fortunate we were. Seriously.

Dooley is their Heath.  They still have to suffer through a Pelphrey.

Offline Biff Malibu

• Resident Asshole
  • Boar
  • In...the...FACE!
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2011, 09:15:48 AM »
They need someone in the people helpin business or somebody competent in big boy football. Their decline helps us so frick em and feed em fish heads.

It's time to get back to Racer Bronco Razorback Rebel Black Bear Volunteer football!!

Offline aNiMaL

• Selling The Drama daily
  • Administrator
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2011, 09:23:24 AM »
The thing is nobody wanted to touch that job which is why Dooley got it in the first place. That wasn't a job for a young "up and comer" they needed to go old school and get someone in there to start picking up the pieces and worry about a new school guy 7 or 8 years down the line when old dude is ready to hang it up. In saying this I realize they got rid of old school for Kiffin, and I'm not saying Fulmer should have stayed I just think they reached a point where it's clear they needed an established guy to lead that program back out of the darkness. Kiffin imploded that program in epic fashion, just goes to show what one idiot can do in such a short amount of time. That being said, Dooley could show some balls and get rid of the guys that aren't buying in (which sounds like everybody) and be better off in the long run. When he was hired people said it smacked of a John Pelphrey type of hire...those people were likely more right than they realize.

And so it was that later
As the miller told his tale
That her face, at first just ghostly,
Turned a whiter shade of pale

Offline Rob

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2011, 09:26:58 AM »
was Kiffin Altman?

Offline big_pig

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2011, 09:40:12 AM »

Offline Rob

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2011, 10:21:06 AM »
 :stunned:

1 minute ago
»

kyleveazey Kyle Veazey
RT @Vols_Beat Source familiar with the personnel confirms that wide receivers Charlie Baggett won't be back with the Vols next season.

Offline billy_ocean_fan

• Hasn't had "sex" with a "woman" in a while
  • A Shoat
  • God Bless Warren Zevon.
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2011, 10:52:07 AM »
And these turds are rumored to be rotating a year early off the schedule next year.  Figures.  We may not see them for another decade.

Offline The Whyte Boar

• A Shoat
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2011, 11:16:50 AM »
They need Houston Nutt.  If Tyler Bray said that kind of stuff on his watch, those seniors would have performed a Code Red on his ass before you could say "Mr. Interception King".

Offline Rob

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2011, 11:19:30 AM »
They need Houston Nutt.  If Tyler Bray said that kind of stuff on his watch, those seniors would have performed a Code Red on his ass before you could say "Mr. Interception King".
Bray was bitching and moaning the entire game against us.  Seems like a whinny bitch...

Offline The Red Death

• Harnessing the spirit of John Robert Starr since 2005
  • Boar
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2011, 12:44:37 PM »
The morale:  don't EVER hire a successful coaches son, or one who coached at a deaf school.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job

Offline Arkansas Proud

• Admins be changing my title daily
  • King of the Hogs
  • The better half
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2011, 01:13:34 PM »
The morale:  don't EVER hire a successful coaches son, or one who coached at a deaf school.

What was that again?
"I completely agree." -- Stephen Coalboar on August 22, 2014 at 11:39 a.m.

Offline Law_Hawg

• Placidly murderous giant
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2011, 01:15:16 PM »

Da'Rick?

Is that "Derrick" or is that "Da Rick"?  You know, like "Da Rick B."?

Caedite eos! Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.

Offline big_pig

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2011, 01:16:11 PM »
Bray was bitching and moaning the entire game against us.  Seems like a whinny bitch...

What, from the sideline?

Offline HogofWar

• Boar
  • Tits Out, Captain.
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2011, 01:21:11 PM »
What, from the sideline?

The only person I saw whinning was after we stripped the ball from a Vol, and he had to be restrained by an assistant from getting into Dooley's face about challenging the call

Offline Cerdo

• I am Strawman
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2011, 02:01:46 PM »
I think the Vols made a number of bad decisions in this deal.  I thought firing Phil was a bad idea, especially with him being a Vol through and through.  I never understood their wild rush to hire Kiffin, a West Coast guy, to a Southeast school.

The biggest thing I don't get though is why they rushed his hiring in the first place. I know they had a class they were trying to hold together but damn, they sure didn't have the opening that long before announcing Dooley. 

Offline Rob

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2011, 02:07:22 PM »

Da'Rick?

Is that "Derrick" or is that "Da Rick"?  You know, like "Da Rick B."?
DAY RICK

What, from the sideline?

Yes, there was on time they had the camera on him when they were going for it on 4th down and he seemed to have said "stupid call"

Offline Gin

• Likes Transformers
  • A Shoat
  • democrat........
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2011, 04:29:59 PM »
So who was Kiffen?

Offline Law_Hawg

• Placidly murderous giant
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2011, 04:36:10 PM »
So who was Kiffen?

He was their Dana Altman.

Here today, gone tomorrow.

Caedite eos! Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.

Offline Snorts

• Boar
  • 7 Screaming Diz Busters
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2011, 04:36:53 PM »
Cant start easy, then get tough.

Couldn't happen to a better bunch of arrogant ass holes.
Just ask the Axis

WOOPIG.NET   © 2014  Jackson Technologies

Page created in 0.284 seconds with 21 queries.