Welcome, Guest! Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ArkGuy & Colboar's Officious UCAFCS Playoffs Thread  (Read 1981 times)

Offline notaslibro

• Super Mod
  • Administrator
  • King of the Hogs
  • They buy me nice school clothes.
ArkGuy & Colboar's Officious UCAFCS Playoffs Thread
« on: December 01, 2011, 10:29:36 AM »
With apologies to Raisinsnacks

DATE: Saturday, December 3rd

TIME:  1:05 pm (CDT)

SITE:  Washington-Grizzly Stadium/John Hoyt Field (25,217) - Missoula, Montana

TV:  ESPN3.com/ESPN Game Plan. (Ryan Rose, PBP and Adam Archuleta, CC)

Bears hope to neutralize the harsh peripherals in Montana

By David McCollum

The University of Montana has made more FCS (or Division I-AA) appearances than any school and has played in the finals seven times with two national championships (1995 and 2001) and has been the runner-up two of the last three years.

The Grizzlies have consistently been one of the FCS attendance leaders and 26,000-plus Washington-Grizzly Stadium is rated among the best (if not the best) in NCAA FCS.

“I’ve heard veteran coaches whom I have talked to in the last 48 hours say that right behind LSU, Florida and Alabama, Montana is right there in the type of atmosphere and crowd noise,” said UCA coach Clint Conque. “I am not embellishing that.”

Montana is the flagship university in a small-population, vast state that is several hours away from the nearest pro football team, the Seattle Seahawks.

It’s a state that loves its football and has a tradition of playing it well and creating what Conque describes as “a bigtime atmosphere in Big Sky Country.”

Apparently, Grizzly nation, and the state of Montana, is in an uproar about the game being only available on ESPN 3, which is the sports network’s internet outlet. The problem is most cable companies in Montana don’t have the band width to accommodate ESPN 3, so a significant portion of Montana fans will not be able to view the game.

The folks are screaming and ranting. They are mad as ... well ... Grizzlies. And they don’t want to take it anymore. They claim there is discrimination by ESPN toward eastern part of the country over the west.

Counter to the culture, nowadays, they want ESPN to “occupy Montana.”

An online petition to ESPN got 11,000 signatures in 36 hours. All three members of the Montana congressional delegation have gotten heavily involved in the cause. Some supporters organized a “Burn ESPN” campaign, where they created ESPN posters and signs of all types and held a mass burn.

http://thecabin.net/sports/college/2011-11-28/bears-hope-neutralize-harsh-peripherals-montana#.Ttej2EOa9tk

Here’s another bit of info from Mick, a Grizzly fan:

The traffic is bumper to bumper for 120 miles on game day. Some diehard fans drive 600 to 700 miles every weekend to ‘Griz It Up.’ All our regular-season games are sold out with attendance in the mid-26,000. Playoffs generally draw 22,000 to 25,000 but the atmosphere is still great. I’ve actually seen quarterbacks more than once line up under the offensive guard rather than the center due to confusion from crowd noise. Tony Romo was once asked after a victory over Seahawks in Seattle if had ever experienced more noise in a stadium. His response was ‘Missoula Montana is way louder.’”

http://thecabin.net/sports/college/2011-11-30/mccollums-column-appetizers-noise-language#.Ttej5EOa9tk

Cheerladies

Famous Alumni

Carroll O'Connor

Jeff Ament, bassist for Pearl Jam (and M.A.C.C., for all of you "Stone Free" fans)

Online Tusk till Dawn

• Frick it
  • Boar
  • We're Doing It Live
Re: ArkGuy & Colboar's Officious UCAFCS Playoffs Thread
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 10:36:44 AM »
Looks like the Grizzlies have some nice talent up there. Sounds like their football team is pretty good too.

I wonder when Montana is going to try to make the jump to FBS? I'd enjoy the novelty of having a Montana team on the national stage. If competing in the WAC or MWC qualifies as the national stage...
Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night keeps TTD from his Hot Damn.

Offline Count Porkula

• Mayor
  • King of the Hogs
  • Sophisticate
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 10:43:33 AM »
yeah, the high saturday is 29. 
Resonance...metal folding chairs or hard tile floors cannot be beaten when it comes to firing off a loud fart.

Offline notaslibro

• Super Mod
  • Administrator
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 10:46:33 AM »
yeah, the high saturday is 29.

It might not even be that balmy.

Offline big_pig

• King of the Hogs
  • Avatars were made to be broken, but not this one!
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 10:47:05 AM »
Montana has a nicer stadium than Ole Miss, Miss St, Vandy and Kentucky.  Wazzupwiththat
I am not claiming I am right, I am saying I don't get it.

Offline aNiMaL

• Soap with a prize inside!
  • Administrator
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 10:51:17 AM »
Looks like the Grizzlies have some nice talent up there. Sounds like their football team is pretty good too.

I wonder when Montana is going to try to make the jump to FBS? I'd enjoy the novelty of having a Montana team on the national stage. If competing in the WAC or MWC qualifies as the national stage...

Think they decided that being a great FCS team was a lot better than getting their aMm pushed every week in the FBS. Oh BTW...ESPN fawned over Villanova last year or the year before that in it's quest for a championship. There again does ESPN hold the tv rights to all FCS games? Seems like VS or FOX or somebody might would pick up a game...Starkville I see D3 games on at certain times of the year on CBS-CS so it's not like this shouldn't be worthy.

Next thing is the INTERNETS...it's been a around for like 25 years. Time to maybe step it up Montana.
I totally yielded.

Offline Law_Hawg

• Placidly murderous giant
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 12:16:25 PM »
Think they decided that being a great FCS team was a lot better than getting their aMm pushed every week in the FBS. Oh BTW...ESPN fawned over Villanova last year or the year before that in it's quest for a championship. There again does ESPN hold the tv rights to all FCS games? Seems like VS or FOX or somebody might would pick up a game...Starkville I see D3 games on at certain times of the year on CBS-CS so it's not like this shouldn't be worthy.

Next thing is the INTERNETS...it's been a around for like 25 years. Time to maybe step it up Montana.

I'm not quite sure what you're asking or discussing because it kinda rambled onto several different issues with no segue or direction, but . . . if you're asking about TV for the game, ESPN holds the rights to all FCS playoff games and is putting pretty much all of the first and second round games only on ESPN3.  This has raised a furor in Montana, because with both Montana and Montana State in the playoffs and not many internet providers in Montana carrying ESPN3, not many folks can watch the games.

Montana Internet Issues
Caedite eos! Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.

Offline Law_Hawg

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2011, 12:20:15 PM »

Montana had pondered a move to the FBS and the WAC last year, but decided not to after it was determined to be too expensive.

"Add that to the previous improvements and the price tag is $30.6 million."

Offline notaslibro

• Super Mod
  • Administrator
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2011, 12:48:55 PM »
I'm not quite sure what you're asking or discussing because it kinda rambled onto several different issues with no segue or direction, but . . . if you're asking about TV for the game, ESPN holds the rights to all FCS playoff games and is putting pretty much all of the first and second round games only on ESPN3.  This has raised a furor in Montana, because with both Montana and Montana State in the playoffs and not many internet providers in Montana carrying ESPN3, not many folks can watch the games.

Montana Internet Issues

See the initial post in the thread.

Offline aNiMaL

• Soap with a prize inside!
  • Administrator
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2011, 01:01:46 PM »

Yeah but Polar Bears are known to sleep with Grizzlies.

http://www.cryptomundo.com/cryptozoo-news/polargrizz/
I totally yielded.

Offline Law_Hawg

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2011, 01:06:36 PM »
See the initial post in the thread.

Nevermind, I didn't read the quoted part.

All due apologies to Animal.

Offline notaslibro

• Super Mod
  • Administrator
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2011, 02:23:33 PM »

Nevermind, I didn't read the quoted part.

All due apologies to Animal.

Don't let it happen again.  You're on notice.

Offline Law_Hawg

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2011, 02:46:37 PM »

Montana did win the lovely Great Divide Trophy this year by beating Montana State.

Online KSHogg

• Music Man
  • Boar
  • Mobile spray tanner
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2011, 02:58:44 PM »
Well, there is something out there uglier than the 'golden boot'. That thing looks like a pile of crap with a football stuck on the top.
Still runnin' against the wind

Offline notaslibro

• Super Mod
  • Administrator
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2011, 11:32:03 AM »
Well, there is something out there uglier than the 'golden boot'. That thing looks like a pile of crap with a football stuck on the top.

It looks like people are crawling up the turn mountain, too.

Offline raisinsnacks

• Optimist.
  • Boar
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2011, 12:11:26 PM »

Amanda must have transferred.

BTW, right column, #2.
It's not YOURkansas, it's not MYkanasas, it's OURkansas. Go Razorbacks and also Razorbutts! Arakansas is the California of 2014!

Offline RedRiverHog

• Tush Hog
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2011, 01:51:44 PM »

Offline Hogustus

• Wild Hog
  • ex-commissary clerk
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2011, 03:24:59 PM »
if you're asking about TV for the game, ESPN holds the rights to all FCS playoff games and is putting pretty much all of the first and second round games only on ESPN3.  This has raised a furor in Montana, because with both Montana and Montana State in the playoffs and not many internet providers in Montana carrying ESPN3, not many folks can watch the games.
Jeebus people, this isn't network TV, it's the damn internet.  Providers don't carry aMm, they tie into the rest of the net.  The *only* problem here is a lack of sufficient bandwidth for subscribers to actually be able to view the internet broadcast.

Online Tusk till Dawn

• Frick it
  • Boar
  • We're Doing It Live
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2011, 03:34:36 PM »
Jeebus people, this isn't network TV, it's the damn internet.  Providers don't carry aMm, they tie into the rest of the net.  The *only* problem here is a lack of sufficient bandwidth for subscribers to actually be able to view the internet broadcast.

ESPN 3 is only distributed through certain internet providers, much like regionalization of network TV. I can watch ESPN 3 at my house through my AT&T High Speed Connection, but if I was somewhere else like West Plains, MO (for example) where CenturyTel is the primary provider, I couldn't watch ESPN 3--because CenturyTel doesn't carry the rights to broadcast ESPN 3 programming.
Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night keeps TTD from his Hot Damn.

Offline notaslibro

• Super Mod
  • Administrator
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2011, 04:35:31 PM »

Amanda must have transferred.

BTW, right column, #2.

God damn that slut.

Offline Law_Hawg

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2011, 06:03:14 PM »

I'm sorry that you don't understand how ESPN3 works.

Have a blessed day.

Offline Hogustus

• Wild Hog
  • ex-commissary clerk
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2011, 07:19:58 PM »

I'm sorry that you don't understand how ESPN3 works.

Have a blessed day.

Well, you're right.  I had no idea what a bullshit scheme racket that is.  I can't believe ISPS will pay to let espn push content through their network.  Some people will fall for anything.  I'm off to find a screen door.

Offline Hawg_Good

• Wild Hog
  • woopig.net
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2011, 12:58:03 PM »
So, who won?

Offline Ty Webb

• Your uncle molests collies.
  • King of the Hogs
  • Hog football will win 6 in '14
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2011, 01:37:40 PM »
So, who won?
Whomever is sticking his porkula in that Oregon cheerleader, that is the winner.
Don't sell yourself short Judge, you're a tremendous slouch.

Offline ArkGuy

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2011, 01:44:42 PM »
First two possessions, Montana goes 49 yds for 3, then 21 yds for 7.

Down 10-0, UCA puts together a good looking drive before Dick throws a pick inside the Montana 10.

Montana now trying to finish off what would be a 93 yard TD drive.  Got it.  Now 17-0 in first after 3 UCA turnovers.

"As the leader of all illegal activities in Casablanca, I am an influential and respected man."

WOOPIG.NET   © 2014  Jackson Technologies

Page created in 0.263 seconds with 20 queries.