Welcome, Guest! Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Arkansas' 2012 schedule, Jerryworld, and beyond (warning: slightly GSD-ish)  (Read 6186 times)

Offline Hognarok

• Tush Hog
  • Port Tobacco carriage maker
I know this was touched on in the Gary Drinkel thread but @dixiefriedsports has been tweeting about SEC teams and their expected schedules next year.  He doesn't give any source for the information so I am treating at as rumors for now.  The speculation is that Missouri and aTm will be permanent opponents and the Hogs and Cocks will maintain their status quo.  The tweets also covered the choices that will be need regarding where games are going to be played. 

One suggestion that he made, that I like very much, is to switch the aTm series back to a regular home-and-home series.  Then, with Jerry Jones' consent, have a yearly game in Jerryworld and call it the Razorback Invitational (okay the name is my idea). Every year one lucky non-conference BCS level opponent would be invited to play the Hogs in Dallas.  If something like this were implemented it would play out like this over the next two years:

Louisiana-Monroe
Non-conference (Dallas)
Tulsa
Alabama
@ aTm
@ Dead Trees
Ole Miss
Kentucky (LR)
Non-conference
@ Miss. St.
@ USC
LSU

Non-conference
Non-conference (Dallas)
Non-conference (LR)
@ Alabama
aTm
Dead Trees
@ Ole Miss
@ Kentucky
Non-conference
aMm
USC-e
@ LSU

Yes I am an animal and yes I want to keep the games in the dump that is WMS, but I would gladly give up one of those yearly games if it meant this schedule were implemented.  Not only could we claim Jerryworld as a home away from home but, in terms of recruiting, we would be firmly implanted in the state of Texas since we would play in the state 3 times every 2 years.  The above schedule also guarantees that four SEC games and six home games are still played in Fayetteville every year.

This is of course assuming that we could get a contract similar to what the aTm/Arkansas series currently pays out.  If it was drastically less than that then I say keep the aTm series in Dallas and rework the schedule so that four SEC games are played in Fayetteville yearly.

Yes I know this is bordering on GSD but hopefully the discussion can be a civil one.  If you can't keep it civil then I invite you to kindly go motherfuck yourself and abstain from posting.

Offline Piggin Out

• Wild Hog
Only problem is you'd never draw enough people for a non conference game all the way to Dallas (I dont think).
Drive to Dallas to watch us butcher New Mexico Valley State Jr? No Thanks.

Offline Razorback Jedi

• Tush Hog
Only problem is you'd never draw enough people for a non conference game all the way to Dallas (I dont think).
Drive to Dallas and pay for the $8 beers to watch us butcher New Mexico Valley State Jr? No Thanks.

Offline TravelHog

• Resident Agitator
  • King of the Hogs
Make that $8.50 beers. $8 beers are so 2009.
Chance favors the prepared mind.

Offline shortstop6

• Cooled-Out Buddhist Cowboy
  • Administrator
  • Boar
  • Lathed from solid envy, thick with menace.

Don't forget the $85-$125-$225-$300 ticket pricing.
I'm an outdoorsman.  I like getting drunk on patios.

Offline hogggdadi

• Tush Hog
  • I'm watching you on the pig. always
I know this was touched on in the Gary Drinkel thread but @dixiefriedsports has been tweeting about SEC teams and their expected schedules next year.  He doesn't give any source for the information so I am treating at as rumors for now.  The speculation is that Missouri and aTm will be permanent opponents and the Hogs and Cocks will maintain their status quo.  The tweets also covered the choices that will be need regarding where games are going to be played. 

One suggestion that he made, that I like very much, is to switch the aTm series back to a regular home-and-home series.  Then, with Jerry Jones' consent, have a yearly game in Jerryworld and call it the Razorback Invitational (okay the name is my idea). Every year one lucky non-conference BCS level opponent would be invited to play the Hogs in Dallas.  If something like this were implemented it would play out like this over the next two years:

Louisiana-Monroe
Non-conference (Dallas)
Tulsa
Alabama
@ aTm
@ Dead Trees
Ole Miss
Kentucky (LR)
Non-conference
@ Miss. St.
@ USC
LSU

Non-conference
Non-conference (Dallas)
Non-conference (LR)
@ Alabama
aTm
Dead Trees
@ Ole Miss
@ Kentucky
Non-conference
aMm
USC-e
@ LSU

Yes I am an animal and yes I want to keep the games in the dump that is WMS, but I would gladly give up one of those yearly games if it meant this schedule were implemented.  Not only could we claim Jerryworld as a home away from home but, in terms of recruiting, we would be firmly implanted in the state of Texas since we would play in the state 3 times every 2 years.  The above schedule also guarantees that four SEC games and six home games are still played in Fayetteville every year.

This is of course assuming that we could get a contract similar to what the aTm/Arkansas series currently pays out.  If it was drastically less than that then I say keep the aTm series in Dallas and rework the schedule so that four SEC games are played in Fayetteville yearly.

Yes I know this is bordering on GSD but hopefully the discussion can be a civil one.  If you can't keep it civil then I invite you to kindly go motherfuck yourself and abstain from posting.

Is the LR Kensucky game your wish list or the unconfirmed rumor that has no source?  Just askin.
You only have to be the best team today.

Offline hoggadore

• Insolent Pissant, Bescumberer.
  • Tush Hog

How many beers can you buy in RRS for $8.50?

Offline Hognarok

• Tush Hog

I was thinking more along the lines of scheduling BCS level opponents that travel well.  LSU-Oregon was able to draw 87,711.  I don't know if we could find matchups that would reach that level but I'm sure we could get 60-70k with the right opponent every year.

Also, I know that we play in the SEC and we shouldn't make our schedule any harder but it actually just got easier. We just traded having to play Georgia/Florida three out of every five years (both of them one of those years) for playing aTm every year which we already did.

Offline TravelHog

• Resident Agitator
  • King of the Hogs
Don't forget the $85-$125-$225-$300 ticket pricing.

I've got a way around that for now on.
Chance favors the prepared mind.

Offline Hognarok

• Tush Hog
Is the LR Kensucky game your wish list or the unconfirmed rumor that has no source?  Just askin.

My wish list.  LSU needs to be in Fayetteville but I still want to see an SEC game in Little Rock at least every other year.  Ideally that game would be against whichever rotating SEC East team we happened to be playing that year.

Offline hogfan58

• Bret Bielema, cheese curds and frozen custard...you betcha!!
  • Tush Hog
Re: Arkansas' 2012 schedule, Jerryworld, and beyond (warning: slightly GSD-ish)
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2011, 04:42:10 PM »
My wish list:

(1) get Bama out of the 1st SEC game of the year slot
(2) if we're gonna play games in WMS, then play Ole Miss and Miss St there; move LSU to RRS
(3) move the TAMU game to home and home
(4) IF we want to keep playing a game at Jerry World, that is where you play the big-time non conference game. If we don't give a aMm, then play it in RRS and move some crap non conference game to WMS. 

(basically play the crap home games in the crap "home" stadium)
I'm asking you as fans, don't give up on those players, don't give up on us, it's our program, it's the state of Alabama program...it's not one individuals program, so hang in there...

Offline hogfan58

• Bret Bielema, cheese curds and frozen custard...you betcha!!
  • Tush Hog
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2011, 04:47:54 PM »
My wish list.  LSU needs to be in Fayetteville but I still want to see an SEC game in Little Rock at least every other year.  Ideally that game would be against whichever rotating SEC East team we happened to be playing that year.

NO WAY we play Florida or Georgia in WMS
I'm asking you as fans, don't give up on those players, don't give up on us, it's our program, it's the state of Alabama program...it's not one individuals program, so hang in there...

Offline Tooth_Sleuth

• A Shoat
  • Coming right atcha
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2011, 07:13:28 PM »
NO WAY we play Florida or Georgia in WMS
Although I agree with this, we do play LSU in WMS, which is just as big a game/opponent.  Apparently the administration and/or LR big wigs don't share our reasoning or DGAF what makes obvious sense as long as they get their "big game" in WMS.
The days of falling into a barrel of tits coming out sucking our thumb are over.

Offline Aporkalypse_Now

• King of the Hogs
  • That's the way baseball go
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2011, 07:28:28 PM »

We have been drawing plenty for a nonconference opponent in Dallas.

Texas Tech fans are saying their administration is hinting about a game with us in Dallas next year FWIW.

I would rather play a rotating tough nonconference opponent like Oregon, Penn St, Michigan, Clemson, etc in DFW.

I think moving LSU to Fayetteville in exchange for Kentucky in LR is reasonable.  I remember playing UK at WMS in 1998 when they had Tim Couch, that was a great game.

Offline hogggdadi

• Tush Hog
  • I'm watching you on the pig. always
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2011, 07:32:13 PM »
We have been drawing plenty for a nonconference opponent in Dallas.

Texas Tech fans are saying their administration is hinting about a game with us in Dallas next year FWIW.

I would rather play a rotating tough nonconference opponent like Oregon, Penn St, Michigan, Clemson, etc in DFW.

I think moving LSU to Fayetteville in exchange for Kentucky in LR is reasonable.  I remember playing UK at WMS in 1998 when they had Tim Couch, that was a great game.

A game in Dallas with TTU isn't worth that much.  It's not gonna sell a ton of tickets IMO.
You only have to be the best team today.

Offline wmr

• Locally Grown, 100% Organic
  • Boar
  • I forgive you, Clint Stoerner.
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2011, 07:46:25 PM »
TTu in Jerryworld, only if the tickets are all cheaper than $100.

Not paying $300 to watch us play Texas Tech.
LSU fans are tres gauche.

Offline Love Handle

• A Shoat
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2011, 08:27:47 PM »
What about Oklahoma State?

Offline Hognarok

• Tush Hog
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2011, 09:17:59 PM »
What about Oklahoma State?

Why stop with the bottom half of the Texas League?  Why not try to get some of the Big Ten schools or even Notre Dame to play us there?  If Oregon will travel halfway across the country to play LSU at a "neutral" site I don't see why Arkansas can't set up something like that, but on a yearly basis.  When he helped create the Southwest Classic, Jerry Jones showed that he was willing to help the Hogs gain an advantage in whatever way possible beyond just getting us into a Cotton Bowl when we didn't deserve it.

I know most of this is wishful thinking but we should try to take advantage of the fact that one of our former players currently has the keys to the most impressive football stadium in the country while we can.

Offline Boondoggle

• Tush Hog
  • Oh no!!! We suck again!!!
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2011, 09:26:52 PM »
I don't think it would be very successful to bring somebody in from the Big 10, Pac 12 or whatever just to play Arkansas in the Jerry Dome. It would be like some ersatz bowl game.

To be successful and draw numbers, it would have to be a Texas team, so....why not Texas itself? That would be a Starkville of a draw and actually is a historic rivalry with all sorts of deep seated hatred on both sides. That is, if Texas would have the stomach to play us every year. Of course, it would be a great boost for our recruiting in Texas, to play the top 2 state teams every year.

The aTm game at Jerry World never really appealed to me that much -- it's not like we had a big, heated rivalry against aTm. Texas is the one I really hate, they were our 'Bama and LSU before we joined the SEC. It was alway personal against Texas. Now we're in a position to beat Texas mercilessly, since we have BMFP and no more All Texas partisan refs.

You can lump them all together: 'Bama, LSU and Texas -- arrogant assholes all.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 09:42:30 PM by Boondoggle »
Oh no!!!! We suck again!!!

Good Ol' Arkansas Football: a Long, LONG way from relevance.

Offline big_pig

• King of the Hogs
  • Avatars were made to be broken, but not this one!
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2011, 09:41:17 PM »
Texas won't play us.  If we continue the series with someone other then A&M, it's more likely to be TCU or TTU
I am not claiming I am right, I am saying I don't get it.

Offline DRYANKNPULL

• Supersonic sleeping bag.
  • Administrator
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2011, 09:46:48 PM »
Texas won't play us.  If we continue the series with someone other then A&M, it's more likely to be TCU or TTU

I think those would be good picks and draw a good crowd.

Offline Boondoggle

• Tush Hog
  • Oh no!!! We suck again!!!
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2011, 09:50:39 PM »

If Texas won't play us, they're chickenshit, which, of course, they always have been.

I predict that the Longhorn Network, etc. will be a huge flop, especially since the beleaguered Texas League is pretty much a 2nd tier conference with a bunch of 2nd tier teams at this point. Sooner or later, Texas' bloated athletic dept. will need to find more revenue, which a Jerry World game would certainly provide.
Oh no!!!! We suck again!!!

Good Ol' Arkansas Football: a Long, LONG way from relevance.

Offline sooie

• Wild Hog
  • The Force is strong with this one.
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2011, 10:14:24 PM »
I remember playing UK at WMS in 1998 when they had Tim Couch, that was a great game.

I know the Miracle on Markham will always be a classic, but IMO this was the most exciting and loudest game in WMS since joining the SEC.  Came down to the defensive stop on UK's last offensive play on 4th down, where Couch threw an incomplete pass to Whalen (sailed just out of the corner of the end zone nearest to the student section).  Needless to say, an exhausting game on both sides, as we were quite fortunate to have contained the "Air Raid" that night.

Offline Aporkalypse_Now

• King of the Hogs
  • That's the way baseball go
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2011, 10:50:51 PM »

If Texas won't play us, they're chickenshit, which, of course, they always have been.

I predict that the Longhorn Network, etc. will be a huge flop, especially since the beleaguered Texas League is pretty much a 2nd tier conference with a bunch of 2nd tier teams at this point. Sooner or later, Texas' bloated athletic dept. will need to find more revenue, which a Jerry World game would certainly provide.

Texas already plays a game in Dallas every year.

Offline Funkee B

• A Shoat
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2011, 10:52:51 PM »
That Kentucky game was awesome...especially because we had Kenoy snapping folks' heads that day! I love LR games as much as anyone...but let's rotate those mo'fo's! I've spent some time in Baton Rouge and some of those frick stick corndogs still think our home stadium is in LR! F that...they need to come to Fayetteville and let us NOT take a knee this time!

WOOPIG.NET   © 2014  Jackson Technologies

Page created in 0.449 seconds with 21 queries.