Welcome, Guest! Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Arkansas' 2012 schedule, Jerryworld, and beyond (warning: slightly GSD-ish)  (Read 6188 times)

Online Pig

• Wild Hog
  • BLT's are so darn tasty!
Re: Arkansas' 2012 schedule, Jerryworld, and beyond (warning: slightly GSD-ish)
« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2011, 01:21:52 PM »
Just looked this up:   Baylor - Texas Tech at Jerryworld for the first time a week or so back
ATTENDANCE: 51,615

added for comparison:  ATTENDANCE: 69,838 for Hogs/Aggies this year
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 02:28:06 PM by Pig »

Offline Denny Crane

• Smokin' a Cigar...
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2011, 01:50:08 PM »
Going the full GSD route, the day will come eventually when we may play stAte in order to keep our presence in LR. Ironic indeed, buy I can see it coming to that.

That is ridiculous and has nothing to do with us playing in LR. How would that change anything in regards to LR games for the University of Arkansas?

Offline uagrad89

• Boar
« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2011, 02:15:41 PM »
My wish list:

(1) get Bama out of the 1st SEC game of the year slot
(2) if we're gonna play games in WMS, then play Ole Miss and Miss St there; move LSU to RRS
(3) move the TAMU game to home and home
(4) IF we want to keep playing a game at Jerry World, that is where you play the big-time non conference game. If we don't give a aMm, then play it in RRS and move some crap non conference game to WMS. 

(basically play the crap home games in the crap "home" stadium)

I approve this message.

Offline Hogeye_Pierce

• Tush Hog
  • Wink, wink, nudge, nudge
« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2011, 02:30:18 PM »
That is ridiculous and has nothing to do with us playing in LR. How would that change anything in regards to LR games for the University of Arkansas?

Because the time will come that the UA will HAVE to stop playing meaningful (read LSU) games at WMS and the people of Central/East/South Arkansas have shown that they won't sell out WMS unless we are playing a marquee opponent. Don't believe me? Ask Jeff Long.

Offline big_pig

• King of the Hogs
  • Avatars were made to be broken, but not this one!
« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2011, 02:33:33 PM »
Going the full GSD route, the day will come eventually when we may play stAte in order to keep our presence in LR. Ironic indeed, buy I can see it coming to that.

I always thought that was a great compromise.
I am not claiming I am right, I am saying I don't get it.

Offline Denny Crane

• Smokin' a Cigar...
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2011, 02:36:38 PM »
Because the time will come that the UA will HAVE to stop playing meaningful (read LSU) games at WMS and the people of Central/East/South Arkansas have shown that they won't sell out WMS unless we are playing a marquee opponent. Don't believe me? Ask Jeff Long.

Don't be so thick. There's been one game in the last bajillion years that didn't sell out -- New Mexico. Coincidentally, it was the first game after all this RSVP stuff. It was in sections that I've sat in for 20 years, which were mostly full even during the Danny Ford era. There were no tickets for sale outside the stadium.

Say what you will, but there was a disconnect. If for some reason you believe that all of the sudden WMS won't sell out after doing so with much lower quality teams for decades, I can't help you. That cosmically central and south Arkansas suddenly had some epiphany and thought..."after 15 years of buying these tickets, I'm just not going to do it anymore even though we have the best coach we've ever had and a top 10 ranking...screw 'em."?

The MSU game sold out, and they blow. Both games will sell out next year, as they have for the last decade. Should the LSU game be moved to the hill? I think so, but I do have reservations about a half empty student section. Hopefully I'll be proven wrong on that, though. But the bottom line is that people that want games moved from WMS don't do themselves any favors by coming up with these straw men that just piss the supporters of games there off. You should really focus on points that have merit, i.e. revenue and the fact that games on campus are important to the university at large.

Offline ArkGuy

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #56 on: December 04, 2011, 03:17:30 PM »
If Jeff Long were interested in laying Texas, he'd go ahead and schedule the return game they owe us instead of ducking them.  I hate Texas but they aren't the ones ducking us, it is the other way around.
"As the leader of all illegal activities in Casablanca, I am an influential and respected man."

Offline cooter

• Boar
« Reply #57 on: December 04, 2011, 05:21:58 PM »
If Jeff Long were interested in laying Texas, he'd go ahead and schedule the return game they owe us instead of ducking them.  I hate Texas but they aren't the ones ducking us, it is the other way around.

Agreed.  We have certainly been the ones ducking them.  Also, if you folks insist on having LSU up north, then they will have to move the date of that game.  The thanksgiving game should always and forever be at WMS as long as we play there.  No one will travel to north Arkansas the day after Thanksgiving.  It just won't happen.

Offline DRYANKNPULL

• Supersonic sleeping bag.
  • Administrator
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #58 on: December 04, 2011, 05:24:28 PM »
Agreed.  We have certainly been the ones ducking them.  Also, if you folks insist on having LSU up north, then they will have to move the date of that game.  The thanksgiving game should always and forever be at WMS as long as we play there.  No one will travel to north Arkansas the day after Thanksgiving.  It just won't happen.

I'll be there with my crew.

Offline shortstop6

• Cooled-Out Buddhist Cowboy
  • Administrator
  • Boar
  • Lathed from solid envy, thick with menace.
I'm an outdoorsman.  I like getting drunk on patios.

Offline Hackfuck McDouche

• With a name like Hackfuck, it has to be Good
  • King of the Hogs
  • BASEBALL GENIUS
« Reply #60 on: December 04, 2011, 05:29:48 PM »
No one will travel to north Arkansas the day after Thanksgiving.  It just won't happen.

You're a fricking moron.

Offline Big Sausage Pizza

• Bow Chicka Wow Wow
  • A Shoat
  • b00bs > n00bs
« Reply #61 on: December 04, 2011, 05:29:58 PM »

Understood.  Walking barefoot in the snow sucks.  The ******** in Central Arkansas should really invest in cars.

Online RedRiverHog

• Tush Hog
« Reply #62 on: December 04, 2011, 05:52:07 PM »
How big is the student section in WMS and RRS? I'm guessing it's quite a bit smaller in WMS so it would take fewer students to "fill" it.
It's always, "no students will be on campus for the LSU game". How many are on campus in LR? Don't they have to travel to get there? I don't get it with the student argument of the GSD.

Offline uagrad89

• Boar
« Reply #63 on: December 04, 2011, 06:52:18 PM »
Yet another idiotic argument for keeping games, or certain games, in that toilet of a stadium.  You'd think if there was actually a legitimate reason to play down there that someone, even someone from central Arkansas, would have come up with it by now.  The law of averages says that.  "An infinite number of monkeys at an infinite number of typewriters" type of argument.

No offense.

Offline Hackfuck McDouche

• With a name like Hackfuck, it has to be Good
  • King of the Hogs
  • BASEBALL GENIUS
« Reply #64 on: December 04, 2011, 06:59:04 PM »
How big is the student section in WMS and RRS? I'm guessing it's quite a bit smaller in WMS so it would take fewer students to "fill" it.
It's always, "no students will be on campus for the LSU game". How many are on campus in LR? Don't they have to travel to get there? I don't get it with the student argument of the GSD.

The argument is, essentially, that the U of A is full of students only from Little Rock and surrounding areas.  I guess all the kids that we give scholarships to from surrounding states up here (as well as the NWA population itself) just don't put enough kids into the University to count.  Plus, perish the thought that a kid might leave home early on Thanksgiving holiday week to get back and see a game.  Nobody ever did that when I was in college, no sir!  Call it the "frick seeing Grandma, Mom, Hogs are playing LSU!" approach.

Offline Sipowicz

• A Shoat
« Reply #65 on: December 04, 2011, 07:28:59 PM »
Playing aTm in Dallas would mean only three home conference games every other year, is that right?

Offline Hognarok

• Tush Hog
  • Port Tobacco carriage maker
« Reply #66 on: December 04, 2011, 07:40:26 PM »
Yet another idiotic argument for keeping games, or certain games, in that toilet of a stadium.  You'd think if there was actually a legitimate reason to play down there that someone, even someone from central Arkansas, would have come up with it by now.  The law of averages says that.  "An infinite number of monkeys at an infinite number of typewriters" type of argument.

No offense.

Thread just went full retard.  Guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Playing aTm in Dallas would mean only three home conference games every other year, is that right?

If the LSU game stays in LR then it would mean 2 SEC opponents in Fayetteville one year and 3 in Fayetteville the next year (I think).  That's why I proposed the schedule I did so that all four SEC home games are played in NWA ever year.

Online RedRiverHog

• Tush Hog
« Reply #67 on: December 04, 2011, 08:25:26 PM »
The argument is, essentially, that the U of A is full of students only from Little Rock and surrounding areas.  I guess all the kids that we give scholarships to from surrounding states up here (as well as the NWA population itself) just don't put enough kids into the University to count.  Plus, perish the thought that a kid might leave home early on Thanksgiving holiday week to get back and see a game.  Nobody ever did that when I was in college, no sir!  Call it the "frick seeing Grandma, Mom, Hogs are playing LSU!" approach.

I guess.
It's the dumbest reason I've ever heard.

Offline Pumpkin Escobar

• Rocky Mountain High
  • King of the Hogs
  • An image of excellence.
« Reply #68 on: December 04, 2011, 08:45:39 PM »
If we aren't going to play aTm in Dallas next year, we should have replaced them with Texas and someone like TCU or SMU starting in 2013.
An té nach leigheasann im nó uisce beatha, ní aon leigheas ar.

Tiocfaidh ár lá! Éireann go brách!

Offline DRYANKNPULL

• Supersonic sleeping bag.
  • Administrator
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #69 on: December 04, 2011, 08:51:09 PM »
I guess.
It's the dumbest reason I've ever heard.

I can easily wake up anywhere in Arkansas and make a 1:30 kickoff.  I live in cent ark, but spend every other year in NEA for thanksgiving.  My grandma there loves going to razorback games.

Online RedRiverHog

• Tush Hog
« Reply #70 on: December 04, 2011, 09:13:27 PM »
I can easily wake up anywhere in Arkansas and make a 1:30 kickoff.  I live in cent ark, but spend every other year in NEA for thanksgiving.  My grandma there loves going to razorback games.

Yep

Offline ArkGuy

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #71 on: December 04, 2011, 10:02:07 PM »
I can't tell who is for what and who's being sarcastic but the "absent student" issue, if it is an issue, could easily be addressed by making some general admission tickets available for sale at a decent price to the general public.

And I'd rather have 68,000 butts in the seats with 5,000 vacant in Fayetteville against LSU than 53,000 in LR.
"As the leader of all illegal activities in Casablanca, I am an influential and respected man."

Offline wmr

• Locally Grown, 100% Organic
  • Boar
  • (.) (.)
« Reply #72 on: December 04, 2011, 10:07:52 PM »
LSU in Fayetteville will have 72k + every year.

The student issue is solved.  Don't students have to verify that they are attending each game each week and take a coupon to get their real ticket during the week of the game?

Then the U of A can turnback any unsold student tickets to the general public.

As someone posted, even if its 65k, its better than 55k every damned time.  It won't be 65k, though.  It will be packed.

Here's my great compromise.  Give Fayetteville the LSU game.  If attendance ever falls below 70k for that game, then you can move it back to Little Rock the next cycle.

Next year it will have been 20 years since the last time we played LSU in Fayetteville.  U of A has 10k more students, and NWA has about 150k more residents since the last time Arkansas and LSU played in Fayetteville.
LSU fans are tres gauche.

Online RedRiverHog

• Tush Hog
« Reply #73 on: December 05, 2011, 08:07:22 AM »
It's all clear as mud.

With the looming 2/3 conference games in Fayetteville, we need to cancel the aTm game at the deathstar. We need that conference game for a home/home game. That makes it 3/4 C games on the hill. Move LSU to the Hill and replace it with a good non-conference game.

That makes 4/5 conference game in Fayetteville and keeps LR relevant.

Kick ass every year and we make a BCS bowl or end up back in Dallas. The exposure will balance what's lost by not playing the SWClassic.

Offline cooter

• Boar
« Reply #74 on: December 05, 2011, 12:22:03 PM »
You're a fricking moron.

Maybe so but I have a lot more evidence to back up my claim than any other I've seen.  I know there are a lot of people who agree but just don't want to be ganked.

It's black friday.  Like it or not, a whole lot of fricking women prefer to shop that day.  It's an important day for retailers in Arkansas.  Most people outside of NWA are not going to drive the day after Thanksgiving to watch that game when they could sit home and see it on the tv.  Or deer hunt, or shop.  In Little Rock, they can do all of that and not have to spend their Christmas money on hotels and fuel.  The students are part of the equation of course, but not all of it.  The very first time, it might sell out but I doubt it.

Irregardless, the point is mute because it ain't happening................................... .................... and neither argument could be proved until it does.

WOOPIG.NET   © 2014  Jackson Technologies

Page created in 0.508 seconds with 20 queries.