Welcome, Guest! Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 70 years  (Read 5247 times)

Offline BEvERage

• 1936 Ford Slantback Sedan
  • Boar
  • The frumious Bandersnatch!
70 years
« on: December 07, 2011, 05:07:40 AM »
God Bless America

Online The Cowboy Tiger

• Embraces the Horror
  • King of the Hogs
  • Whiskery Poo
Re: 70 years
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 05:26:47 AM »
I'm just a dark guy from a den of iniquity.

Don't go away mad.  Just go away.

razorwire

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 06:26:51 AM »
Don't forget that the "Battle of Prairie Grove" was also fought on December 7.

Offline Nukinhawg

• social pariah, banal bucolic of the lost rabble
  • Tush Hog
  • Tongue punching moms in the fart box since ...
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 06:45:26 AM »
Recieved my "Fish" (Submarine warfare qualification pin) at the Arizona memorial in 2002.  That place is surreal. 
You can not imagine how difficult it is to hold a half gallon of moo juice and polish the one-eyed gopher when your doin' seventy-five in an eighteen-wheeler

Offline Cerdo

• I am Strawman
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 06:57:58 AM »
Never forget the sacrifices people made. 

Offline aNiMaL

• Selling The Drama daily
  • Administrator
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 06:59:51 AM »
Ironic that I'm sitting here reading this on a product made in Japan.
And so it was that later
As the miller told his tale
That her face, at first just ghostly,
Turned a whiter shade of pale

Offline Passed

• What the fuck you lookin' at?
  • Tush Hog
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 08:55:53 AM »
Ironic that I'm sitting here reading this on a product made in Japan.

Why's that?  We conquered them.  It's only natural that they are now building stuff to make our lives more convenient.   O0

Online Zoso

• Claims to have met Duckman
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 08:59:30 AM »
Recieved my "Fish" (Submarine warfare qualification pin) at the Arizona memorial in 2002.  That place is surreal.

Congrats and thanks for your service. Visiting the Arizona is on my bucket list....

Online notaslibro

• Super Mod
  • Administrator
  • King of the Hogs
  • They buy me nice school clothes.
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2011, 09:11:10 AM »
Rodney Shelton Foss, from Monticello, Arkansas, was a UA alumnus and a young Navy officer stationed at Pearl Harbor.  When the first wave of Japanese planes reached Pearl, they strafed a row of US planes Ensign Foss was overseeing.

A 20 mm round struck and killed  Foss, making him (as far as the military can tell) the first official US casualty in World War II.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 09:20:03 AM by notaslibro »

Offline Southern Yeoman

• Wild Hog
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2011, 09:13:41 AM »

Yep.  It's even now got oil leaking out of it, like it's still dying.

Rodney Shelton Foss, from Monticello, Arkansas, was a young Navy officer stationed at Pearl Harbor.  When the first wave of Japanese planes reached Pearl, they strafed a row of US planes Ensign Foss was overseeing.

A 20 mm round struck and killed  Foss, making him (as far as the military can tell) the first official US casualty in World War II.

All gave some, some gave all.

Online ArkGuy

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2011, 09:17:40 AM »
If you didn't see the special on the History Channel last night, one old guy - who was pretty funny - was a CPO stationed at a naval air station about 15 miles east of Pearl Harbor that was hit first.  He found a Browning .30 machine gun used for training - so he had an endless supply of ammo.  He set it up and fired more or less non-stop throughtout both attacks. Toward the end of the second one, he shot down a plane.  He was wounded 20-30 times - some nicks from shrapnel, some a lot more serious - but the point is, he kept getting hit and he kept shooting until towardthe end he got ordered to accept medical treatment.

A year later he received the Medal of Honor on the deck of the Enterprise from Adm. Nimitz.  He passed away last year at the age of 100.  http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/28/us/28finn.html

There are a zillion stories like that I've probably never heard.  The History Channel is the greatest thing since Pillsbury cherry turnovers.

Tonight at 7 is a special about the first 24 hours after the attack, especially what went on in Washington.  I hope it's good.
"As the leader of all illegal activities in Casablanca, I am an influential and respected man."

Offline Razorhog72

• That drunk guy in section 102
  • Tush Hog
  • Violence is not an aberration, it's a rule..
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2011, 09:43:26 AM »
The History Channel is the greatest thing since Pillsbury cherry turnovers.

Oh. You mean they've taken a break from all the Pawn Stars and American Pickers re-runs EVERY SINGLE DAY? Ugh.
"I think there 's something you don't know about me Joe Rogan....I smoke rocks."

Offline AGNK

• WPS
  • Boar
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2011, 09:53:36 AM »
Was stationed at Pearl from '98 to '02. Went to the memorial plenty of times, even re-enlisted at the USS Arizona Memorial (the land side... they were doing some kind of service on the floating memorial and I couldn't reserve it for that day). Seeing the stacks and the superstructure from the memorial is really odd, makes you get that weird feeling in the pit of your stomach. God bless 'em.

Offline Razordoc

• A Shoat
  • Boy, you look jus' like a hog.
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2011, 10:18:24 AM »
Was stationed at Pearl from '98 to '02. Went to the memorial plenty of times, even re-enlisted at the USS Arizona Memorial (the land side... they were doing some kind of service on the floating memorial and I couldn't reserve it for that day). Seeing the stacks and the superstructure from the memorial is really odd, makes you get that weird feeling in the pit of your stomach. God bless 'em.

And the oil that still seeps to the surface 70 years later.  My family and I visited the Arizona on the 50th anniversary of the Hiroshima bomb, not planned just happened to be when our vacation was.  Weird as Starkville, but there were a bunch of Japanese tourists there that day.
"...we didn't come to paint.  We came to win the game".  "It's really a play we've worked ever since last year's game with LSU"  cBMFP, Nov. 27, 2010

Offline TheOtherWhiteMeat

• Administrator
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2011, 11:12:03 AM »
I was stationed at Kaneohe Bay in the early 80's and got to visit the Arizona Memorial. Also while there we visited a Naval Air Station (Barbers Point I think) where you could see a mountain pass that a lot of the planes flew through that day.

Nukin, one of my good friends at that time rode subs. He was a wild man, I guess you would have to be to go out on a sub for months at a time.  ;) :thumbup:

On a lighter note, we toured a ship at Pearl Harbor one day. The Navy guy who showed us around said they called the skipper Captain Crunch because he had hit another ship the last 2 times they'd been out. He said that as big as the ocean is it actually wasn't that hard to run into another ship.  :D

Offline big_pig

• King of the Hogs
  • Avatars were made to be broken, but not this one!
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2011, 11:17:01 AM »
We dropped the bomb on them.  Twice.

Once would have been sufficient, but not satisfying.
I am not claiming I am right, I am saying I don't get it.

Online HogofWar

• Boar
  • Tits Out, Captain.
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2011, 11:22:31 AM »
When I was a boyscout in Louisiana, we used to take trips to Baton Rouge and sleep on the U.S.S Kidd DD-661. the Kidd was named after the Rear admiral that died on the Arizona that day. God Bless America and thank you to my grandfathers.

Online notaslibro

• Super Mod
  • Administrator
  • King of the Hogs
  • They buy me nice school clothes.
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2011, 11:25:21 AM »
I was stationed at Kaneohe Bay in the early 80's and got to visit the Arizona Memorial. Also while there we visited a Naval Air Station (Barbers Point I think) where you could see a mountain pass that a lot of the planes flew through that day.

Nukin, one of my good friends at that time rode subs. He was a wild man, I guess you would have to be to go out on a sub for months at a time.  ;) :thumbup:

On a lighter note, we toured a ship at Pearl Harbor one day. The Navy guy who showed us around said they called the skipper Captain Crunch because he had hit another ship the last 2 times they'd been out. He said that as big as the ocean is it actually wasn't that hard to run into another ship.  :D

I believe Ensign Foss was stationed at Kaneohe.

Offline TC

• Boar
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2011, 11:37:21 AM »
My Japanese Father in Law remembers American soldiers coming to his house in Kauai and taking his family to a 'camp' as a young boy.  The US had discovered students at UH had been spying for years, taking pictures of Pearl Harbor, even determining the depths of the harbor, from which the Japanese learned that the harbor was only 30-40 feet in the deepest places.  That led the Japanese to retrofit their torpedoes with wooden fins to run in shallow water.  He's not angry about it, and totally understands.  He loves this country, his country.  Years later he would learn that he had an uncle, part of his 'lost' family back in Japan, that served in the Japanese Carrier group during the time of the attacks.

3 years ago I sat at his side as his full-blooded Japanese daughter, my wife, pinned on 04 on the deck of the 'Mighty MO' at the very spot that the Japanese Admiral signed the Declaration of Surrender.  He wept, probably for more reasons than I'll ever be able to comprehend.

God Bless our Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, and Marines.  And God bless America!     

Offline TUSK_U

• Wild Hog
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2011, 11:37:38 AM »

Offline Hogtired

• Boar
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2011, 11:39:56 AM »
I missed the special but caught the movie last night. As surreal as the attack scene was, I cannot comprehend what it was like to be in the midst of it. They have my respect and gratitude.

I was returning from a business trip 2 years ago when WWII veterans were arriving in DC to attend ceremonies at the military monuments. SWA announced their arrival and as they deplaned, they received the longest standing ovation I have ever experienced. The terminal stopped as everybody stood and applauded. Soldiers who were traveling stood at attention and saluted. It was one of the most emotional scenes I have ever witnessed.

It's those moments that make you proud to be an American!

AYFSM?

Offline TUSK_U

• Wild Hog
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2011, 11:45:16 AM »

I was stationed at Schofield Bks 02-05, that pass you speak of is called Kole Kole Pass. From my company area it was 4 miles away. We ran the sumbitch once a week. 4 miles up, 4 miles down. The Band of Brothers Currahee was only 3 lol. 

Offline TheOtherWhiteMeat

• Administrator
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2011, 11:49:30 AM »
I believe Ensign Foss was stationed at Kaneohe.

Yes, he was. It was a Naval Air Station at the time, later became a Marine Corps Air Station. It's on the north side of Oahu and Pearl Harbor is on the south so it would make sense he was the first killed since the Japanese came in from the north.

Offline gambler

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2011, 12:21:04 PM »
We dropped the bomb on them.  Twice.

Once would have been sufficient, but not satisfying.
Like scoring a touchdown and going for two.

Offline SoldierSooie

• Tush Hog
  • We're Back!
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2011, 01:04:19 PM »
I was stationed at Schofield Bks 02-05, that pass you speak of is called Kole Kole Pass. From my company area it was 4 miles away. We ran the sumbitch once a week. 4 miles up, 4 miles down. The Band of Brothers Currahee was only 3 lol.

I was there at that time and just reading kole kole makes me tired.

WOOPIG.NET   © 2014  Jackson Technologies

Page created in 0.268 seconds with 20 queries.