Welcome, Guest! Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 70 years  (Read 4984 times)

Offline TheOtherWhiteMeat

• Administrator
  • King of the Hogs
Re: 70 years
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2011, 01:12:34 PM »
I was stationed at Schofield Bks 02-05, that pass you speak of is called Kole Kole Pass. From my company area it was 4 miles away. We ran the sumbitch once a week. 4 miles up, 4 miles down. The Band of Brothers Currahee was only 3 lol.

While I was at Kaneohe I went TAD for awhile to Wheeler AFB, believe it was close to Schofield.

Offline Southern Yeoman

• Wild Hog
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2011, 01:18:18 PM »
Ensign Foss

Ensign = 21 y/o or so.  Young enough to be your kid.  He could've been rooting for the Boll Weevils at Arkansas A & M the year before.

That war sure was something.  Started with a 'date which will live in infamy.'

Online Law_Hawg

• Placidly murderous giant
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2011, 01:20:48 PM »
Don't forget that the "Battle of Prairie Grove" was also fought on December 7.

Federal troops in action near the Borden House:

« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 01:27:11 PM by Law_Hawg »
Caedite eos! Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.

Online Law_Hawg

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2011, 01:30:38 PM »
I love the old WWII recruiting posters.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 01:35:53 PM by Law_Hawg »

Online Law_Hawg

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2011, 01:33:49 PM »

Nukin, one of my good friends at that time rode subs. He was a wild man, I guess you would have to be to go out on a sub for months at a time.  ;) :thumbup:

Offline cooter

• Boar
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2011, 01:54:45 PM »
I missed the special but caught the movie last night. As surreal as the attack scene was, I cannot comprehend what it was like to be in the midst of it. They have my respect and gratitude.

I was returning from a business trip 2 years ago when WWII veterans were arriving in DC to attend ceremonies at the military monuments. SWA announced their arrival and as they deplaned, they received the longest standing ovation I have ever experienced. The terminal stopped as everybody stood and applauded. Soldiers who were traveling stood at attention and saluted. It was one of the most emotional scenes I have ever witnessed.

It's those moments that make you proud to be an American!

Ok, that one kind of got to me.

Offline pulled pork butt

• A Shoat
  • "we didn't come to paint"
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2011, 03:24:06 PM »
A simple thank you to all the folks who served at the time of the Pearl Harbor Ambush and those who later served because of the cowardly attack. Your service and dedication to our country is greatly appreciated and respected by this Woopiger!

Offline Guardrail

• Tush Hog
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2011, 03:29:42 PM »
I love the old WWII recruiting posters.

If this one were put out today a certain segment would file suit or want it removed because its too warlike and too harsh for their delicate sensibilities and it gives kids the wrong message. So it would be changed to "we shouldn't have had those ships there in the first place, please forgive us because you, Japan, we're obviously offended.".
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 04:43:16 PM by Guardrail »

Offline Death By Sooiecide

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2011, 04:13:42 PM »
Went to Pearl Harbor last February. It is an eye opening experience. It is really hard to describe. When you see the oil still leaking from the Arizona it becomes real.

Offline BEvERage

• 1936 Ford Slantback Sedan
  • Boar
  • The frumious Bandersnatch!
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2011, 04:21:46 PM »
Don't forget that the "Battle of Prairie Grove" was also fought on December 7.
my great, great grandfather harris fought in the battle.

Offline Buffinator

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2011, 06:18:40 PM »
The first Japanese kamikaze swimmer walked ashore in Hawaii today

Offline papermill

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2011, 06:25:22 PM »
I don't know how those sub guys got through being depth charged without going completely nuts.  Anything else would be horrible enough to go through but you could at least visualize an out in most cases.  I couldn't imagine being down there knowing if any of those charges hit the right spot your whole world is going to collapse in on you and you don't know exactly when it is going to happen and it could go on for hours.

Offline cooter

• Boar
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2011, 06:31:51 PM »
I don't know how those sub guys got through being depth charged without going completely nuts.  Anything else would be horrible enough to go through but you could at least visualize an out in most cases.  I couldn't imagine being down there knowing if any of those charges hit the right spot your whole world is going to collapse in on you and you don't know exactly when it is going to happen and it could go on for hours.

I couldn't do it, no way, no how.  Sub guys are a different breed. 

Offline Biff Malibu

• Resident Asshole
  • Boar
  • In...the...FACE!
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2011, 07:54:24 PM »
Watching the History Channel special on Pearl Harbor.  Evidently, FDR had a sinus infection on Dec 8th and he needed to be able to breathe before he gave his speech.  There were no antibiotics or sudafed, so you know what people were treated with to shrink nasal membranes...cocaine.  FDR was on coke when he gave his "infamy" speech!

Online gambler

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2011, 08:14:33 PM »
Watching the History Channel special on Pearl Harbor.  Evidently, FDR had a sinus infection on Dec 8th and he needed to be able to breathe before he gave his speech.  There were no antibiotics or sudafed, so you know what people were treated with to shrink nasal membranes...cocaine.  FDR was on coke when he gave his "infamy" speech!
Sounds like medical science has regressed.

Offline Snorts

• Boar
  • 7 Screaming Diz Busters
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2011, 08:46:19 PM »
Every able bodied man in my family tree served in World War 2.  My Dad's First Cousin disappeared in a P-61 Black Widow one night off of Okinawa.  Max took off, and never returned.  End of story.  He was the first to perish, and none survive today, including my Dad, who served proudly in 3 wars as a fighter pilot.

That attack dragged us into a 4 year nightmare.  Say Hi to a WW2 vet today.  Get out a tape recorder and get some oral history.  I promise, no matter what they did, and where they served, you will be amazed at what they went through.  I thought I knew my Pop, and was versed on what he went through.  I was still amazed as he opened up about things he had never spoken to me about before.  Thank God I got it all on tape.

I'm 60.  People my age remember where they were when Kennedy was shot, when Elvis died, and 9-11.  Pearl Harbor was the defining moment for the Greatest Generation.

Just ask the Axis

Offline LaMoHog

• Tush Hog
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2011, 08:53:06 PM »
Helluva program on AETN right now about WWII. Going over the Bataan Death March now.

Offline WPFM

• Administrator
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2011, 10:05:14 PM »
Ya'll ever tried to suck a dick for 20 minutes?  It isn't easy.

Offline cooter

• Boar
« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2011, 10:10:42 PM »

For him it wouldn't have been a "high" per se, because he didn't know it was getting "high".  It was just a damned side effect of a drug.  I do not know today what I would do without some Oxymetazoline Hydrochloride.  As soon as we start enjoying those side effects, they outlaw them.

Offline Death By Sooiecide

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2012, 05:39:32 PM »
Went in February of 2011. Wept like a baby.

Online The Cowboy Tiger

• Are You Not Entertained?
  • King of the Hogs
  • KOBK
« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2012, 05:44:00 PM »
Avenge Pearl Harbor and remember the Alamo.
I'm just a dark guy from a den of iniquity.

Don't go away mad.  Just go away.

Offline eastcoasthogfan

• A Shoat
  • woopig.net
« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2012, 05:45:03 PM »
Rodney Shelton Foss, from Monticello, Arkansas, was a UA alumnus and a young Navy officer stationed at Pearl Harbor.  When the first wave of Japanese planes reached Pearl, they strafed a row of US planes Ensign Foss was overseeing.

A 20 mm round struck and killed  Foss, making him (as far as the military can tell) the first official US casualty in World War II.

Do you have a link that confirms this?

Offline iNOVAhog

• Boar
  • woopig.net
« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2012, 06:26:13 PM »
Rodney Shelton Foss, from Monticello, Arkansas, was a UA alumnus and a young Navy officer stationed at Pearl Harbor.  When the first wave of Japanese planes reached Pearl, they strafed a row of US planes Ensign Foss was overseeing.

A 20 mm round struck and killed  Foss, making him (as far as the military can tell) the first official US casualty in World War II.

I lived in Monticello for 4 years as a kid and never heard that story, which is good to know.  I did recall that the last military skirmish of the Civil War occurred in Monticello in May 1965 by Rebel guerilla forces.

Offline Buffinator

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2012, 06:37:45 PM »
I was there with my parents back when I was in high school.  2002 maybe?  Anyway, we walked onto the Arizona memorial just as some old man started to play taps on a bugle.  When he was through I asked a guide who that was and was told that he had been on the Arizona as a 17 year old sailor when the strike hit.  He was (obviously) one of the few survivors.  I think she said the first Sunday of every month at the same time, he went to play that one song in front of the list of those killed.  Sobering to say the least.

Offline Hogtired

• Boar
« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2012, 06:53:03 PM »
Let us never forget. Thank you
AYFSM?

WOOPIG.NET   © 2014  Jackson Technologies

Page created in 0.352 seconds with 20 queries.