Welcome, Guest! Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What's this about Oklahoma State in hot water?  (Read 4004 times)

Offline Death By Sooiecide

• King of the Hogs
What's this about Oklahoma State in hot water?
« on: December 29, 2011, 07:55:10 PM »
http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/story/Oklahoma-State-Cowboys-self-report-NCAA-violations-in-football-122911

Oklahoma State still wants to talk with a Perkins, Okla., man who refuses to cooperate with its investigation into whether he provided impermissible extra benefits to Cowboys football players, including star wide receiver Justin Blackmon — a probe that has already has led the university to self-report violations to the NCAA.

The man, Gannon Mendez, a 40-year-old sales representative for Scientific Resources Inc. and a golf club dealer for Cobra Golf, has refused to talk with Oklahoma State, said Kevin Fite, the university’s associate athletics director of compliance. Mendez also has declined repeated interview requests by FOXSports.com.

Even though Mendez hasn’t spoken, the investigation that Oklahoma State compliance officials started in late summer uncovered that Mendez bought a $5 drink at a bar for a player, said Fite, who declined to identify the player. The university self-reported the secondary violation to the NCAA, Fite said.

During its investigation, the university also discovered that two players sold Xbox 360 with Kinect video game systems — gifts from the Alamo Bowl last year — to athletic department employees who did not know such transactions violated NCAA rules, Fite said.

The university self-reported the sales of both Xboxes to the NCAA, and each instance has been resolved, Fite said.

The compliance director said he has exhausted every option available to the university in investigating Mendez. In addition to contacting Mendez numerous times and interviewing OSU players about Mendez, Fite said he has talked with Mendez’s friends and others in the Perkins area.

Two sources, speaking on the condition of anonymity, told FOXSports.com that Mendez has bragged about not cooperating with the school’s compliance officers.

Earlier this season, Fite said, Oklahoma State football coach Mike Gundy told his players to cease any relationships they might have with Mendez.

“We’re concerned about it,” Fite said of the allegations involving Mendez and OSU players. “We’re concerned about it like we would any potential violation and we’ve reviewed it as best as we can. Without any additional information, it’s hard for us to take any further steps. Some of that would be some cooperation on the part of him. As a member of the community, I would think he would want to do what he could to help us.”

Blackmon, who played a key role in third-ranked Oklahoma State (11-1) making Monday’s Fiesta Bowl against No. 4 Stanford (11-1), the Cowboys’ first BCS bowl appearance, has said he plans to enter the NFL draft. The 6-foot-1, 215-pound redshirt junior wide receiver, who has 113 catches for 1,336 yards and 15 touchdowns this season, is expected to be a first-round pick.

When FOXSports.com asked Blackmon about Mendez during a brief interview Thursday, he replied, “Gannon Mendez? I don’t know who that is,” before moving on to another interview.

But last year Blackmon, Oklahoma State redshirt senior wide receiver Hubert Anyiam and then-Cowboys running back Kendall Hunter attended a birthday party for Mendez’s stepdaughter. Mendez’s Facebook account until recently displayed photographs of the players posing separately with Mendez’s stepdaughter at the birthday party.

Mendez said he charged $50 for every item the players signed and gave them half the money, according to one of the sources. The other source also alleged the players were paid.

Hunter, now a rookie running back with the NFL’s San Francisco 49ers, did not respond to an interview request Thursday. Anyiam, who will not play in the Fiesta Bowl because of injury, was not available for comment Thursday.

According to one of the sources, Mendez said that a person paid him $300 for a piece of paper on which Blackmon doodled, and the two split the money.

One of the sources told FOXSports.com that Mendez also bragged that he sold guest passes for Oklahoma State football games belonging to Cowboys players and split the money with them. The other source said Mendez admitted he sold guest passes but maintained he gave all the money to the players.

Mendez also was heavily involved in Oklahoma State players selling their guest passes to the 2010 Cotton Bowl, one of the sources said.

“It was so many, somebody at the university questioned it,” the source said.

Generally, players do not receive actual tickets for their four guest passes and instead provide the university with the names of those who are to receive the complementary passes upon providing proper identification.

Fite said the allegations of players selling guest passes to the Cotton Bowl preceded his arrival at Oklahoma State in April 2010 but described it as “interesting.” He said the university had already self-reported violations to the NCAA for the 2009 season, which included one player selling his guest passes to the Cotton Bowl to people the university was unable to identify.

“We tried to pin down if they were tied to Gannon Mendez,” Fite said, “and we couldn’t pin it down.”

According to one of the sources, Mendez also provided Oklahoma State football players with drinks and meals and took them golfing at The Golf Club at Cimarron Trails in Perkins, which is located behind his house. Also, Mendez’s Facebook account once had a photo of him on the field at Boone Pickens Stadium helping shoot a T-shirt gun during a game.

“He was proud of it,” the source said of Mendez's association with players. “He liked the attention.”

After Oklahoma State’s victory against Arizona in last year’s Alamo Bowl, according to one of the sources, Mendez said he was selling Xboxes for Cowboys players.

Oklahoma State sports information director Kevin Klintworth said Thursday the university and local media outlets received an anonymous email in July or early August about the allegations involving Mendez. FOXSports.com has not seen the email.

After receiving the email, Oklahoma State compliance officials started investigating the allegations, which is how the university learned of Mendez buying the $5 drink for a player and the two players selling the Xboxes to athletic department employees, Fite said.

When interviewed by Oklahoma State compliance officials, Blackmon and Anyiam admitted they attended Gannon’s stepdaughter’s birthday party but denied any of the alleged wrongdoing, Fite said. They told compliance officials they attended the party because Anyiam’s girlfriend was a babysitter for Mendez’s stepdaughter at the time.

Hunter was not interviewed by Oklahoma State officials because he had already left for the NFL. Fite said Mendez does not buy season tickets from Oklahoma State or donate to Cowboys athletics.

Mendez and some of his friends such as Jorge Munoz, owner of the El Mexicano restaurant in Perkins, were on players’ guest-pass lists during the 2009 season, Fite said. None of those players is currently on the team, he said.

The university has not officially disassociated itself from Mendez, but Fite said Mendez and some of his friends are on “a watch list” for players’ guest passes.

“If they show up on our list, they get booted out,” Fite says.

Fite interviewed Munoz about Mendez at El Mexicano in Perkins, a rural town of 2,831 about 15 minutes south of Oklahoma State’s campus. When FOXSports.com visited Munoz in November, he declined to talk about his relationship with Mendez.

“I have nothing to say,” Munoz said. “Nothing at all. No comment at all.”

Asked Thursday about his knowledge of Mendez’s relationship with Oklahoma State football players, university president Burns Hargis said he was not aware of the matter.

“That’s really for our athletic department to deal with, so I’d defer to them on this,” Hargis said.

Numerous attempts to contact NCAA officials were unsuccessful Thursday.

Offline TravelHog

• Resident Agitator
  • King of the Hogs
Re: What's this about Oklahoma State in hot water?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 08:02:57 PM »
Tulsa has got to be shitting bricks right about now.
Chance favors the prepared mind.

Offline Snorts

• Boar
  • 7 Screaming Diz Busters
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 08:12:21 PM »
Tulsa has got to be shitting bricks right about now.

:thumbup:
Just ask the Axis

Offline Humphrey BOARgart

• Boar
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 08:15:45 PM »

The man, Gannon Mendez, a 40-year-old

He's a man. He's 40.

Online DirkPiggler

• The Lyrical Jesse James
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 08:37:28 PM »
Every time Oklahoma State has had a successful program, their relative success has been followed immediately by severe NCAA sanctions. 

Offline ArkGuy

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2011, 09:58:25 PM »
Every time Oklahoma State has had a successful program, their relative success has been followed immediately by severe NCAA sanctions.

Usualy for very good reasons.

When Jim Stnley coached in the USFL, I think even he said his players were bettr paid at OSU.
"As the leader of all illegal activities in Casablanca, I am an influential and respected man."

Offline Tanny Bogus

• Haunting Wickes since the mid-50's
  • Boar
  • Longtime Fan of Randolph Mantooth
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2011, 07:45:44 AM »
Gannon Mendez?  Is that Irish-Hispanic?  I've never seen a ginger Hispanic guy before. 

Offline CharlieHog

• Fanboy
  • King of the Hogs
    • Hog Nation
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2011, 07:47:36 AM »
Gannon Mendez?  Is that Irish-Hispanic?  I've never seen a ginger Hispanic guy before.

Offline Tanny Bogus

• Haunting Wickes since the mid-50's
  • Boar
  • Longtime Fan of Randolph Mantooth
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2011, 07:49:18 AM »
I stand corrected

Offline Cerdo

• I am Strawman
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2011, 06:47:46 PM »
Every time Oklahoma State Auburn has had a successful program, their relative success has been followed immediately by severe NCAA sanctions.

Offline EastArkHog

• Didn't win the Nobel Peace Prize
  • Tush Hog
    • http://wulffmorgenthaler.com
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2011, 11:04:48 AM »

Nothing to see here, with the new improved, kinder, gentler forgiving NCAA, there will be nothing from this other than a stern talking to...The NCAA
new job is to hide as much as they can rather than enforce the rules, you can bank on that literally....
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life....

Offline littlerayofsunshine

• Wild Hog
  • Bitches, rub your titties if you love Big Poppa...
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2011, 12:40:04 PM »

I didn't know this until just a few days ago.  I google muthafucka'd that bastard after downloading his new show (which is pretty decent BTW) and found out all this crazy aMm about him.  I originally was just wondering what the origin of the "CK" was.  Next thing I know, he's a Mexican.  His first language is Spanish.  Lived in Mexico City the first 7 years of his life.  And, not surprisingly for some reason, his parents met at Harvard.  He does a pretty good job of passing himself off as a regular dude, but he's anything but that. 

His paternal grandfather was a Hungarian Jew that emigrated to Mexico.  Who the frick emigrates to Mexico? 

Carry on.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 12:43:54 PM by littlerayofsunshine »
"A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism."  - Carl Sagan

Offline HogTat

• It's in my nature
  • Boar
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2011, 12:58:34 PM »
His paternal grandfather was a Hungarian Jew that emigrated to Mexico.  Who the frick emigrates to Mexico? 

I'm just guessing here, but if you count backward, his paw paw was an adult right about the late 30's.  About that time, the intelligent Jews near the German borders emigrates to anywhere other than there.
When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in confederacy against him.

Offline muslimsdonteatme

• Thunderbolt of Flaming Wisdom
  • Administrator
  • Tush Hog
  • Thunderbolt of Flaming Wisdom
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2011, 01:07:29 PM »
I'm just guessing here, but if you count backward, his paw paw was an adult right about the late 30's.  About that time, the intelligent Jews near the German borders emigrates to anywhere other than there.

And lives cheap in Mexico City.  Smart move back then.

Offline CharlieHog

• Fanboy
  • King of the Hogs
    • Hog Nation
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2011, 01:31:26 PM »
In 1867, Mexican leader Benito Juarez overthrew Maximilian and secularized Mexico, seizing church property and banishing the Papal Nuncio. This upheaval paved the way for three waves of mass Jewish immigration, the first of which was sparked in 1882 by the death of the Russian Tzar. The exodus was accelerated in 1884 when Mexican President Profirio Diaz invited a dozen Jewish bankers from Europe to move to Mexico and help build its economy. Mexico established its first Jewish congregation in 1885.

Jewish philanthropists considered Mexican Jewry a worthy recipient of aid and, in 1891, the Baron de Hirsch Fund, along with the Jewish Colonization Association (JCA) planned large-scale Jewish agricultural settlements in Mexico, much like the kibbutzim the philanthropists were developing in Israel. However, these plans never materialized.

The second wave of Jewish immigration peaked between 1911 and 1913 as a result of the crumbling Ottoman Empire. The Empire's breakup ended an era of relative tolerance, and the Ladino speaking Sephardic Jews began fleeing from their homes in present-day Turkey at the turn of the century. The dark complexion of the Sephardic Jews, as well Ladino, their language with Spanish roots, eased their integration into Mexican society. Sephardic Jews were mainly street peddlers whose stands and carts, over several generations, often developed into shops and businesses.

The third, and final, wave of Jewish immigration came from Russia after the first World War. With an already established Jewish community, Mexico received Jews fleeing from Eastern Europe. But, in the first few years after the war, most of these Jews used Mexico as a stepping-stone to America. However, a more restrictive 1924 American immigration policy stopped the flow of European Jews, who were stuck, and had no choice but to begin a new life in Mexico.

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/vjw/Mexico.html

Offline littlerayofsunshine

• Wild Hog
  • Bitches, rub your titties if you love Big Poppa...
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2011, 01:55:26 PM »
And lives cheap in Mexico City.  Smart move back then.

This is the part that I wouldn't be so sure about personally.
"A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism."  - Carl Sagan

Offline Cerdo

• I am Strawman
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2011, 02:56:43 PM »
Many major Latin American cities have more Jews than you would see in NYC.... and yes, they freaking DOMINATE businesses. 

Offline Pumpkin Escobar

• Rocky Mountain High
  • King of the Hogs
  • An image of excellence.
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2011, 04:13:03 PM »
This is the part that I wouldn't be so sure about personally.

And that's why you'll never have 3rd world swagger like this guy or Cerdo.
An té nach leigheasann im nó uisce beatha, ní aon leigheas ar.

Tiocfaidh ár lá! Éireann go brách!

Offline Humphrey BOARgart

• Boar
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2011, 06:41:28 PM »
I didn't know this until just a few days ago.  I google muthafucka'd that bastard after downloading his new show (which is pretty decent BTW) and found out all this crazy aMm about him.  I originally was just wondering what the origin of the "CK" was.  Next thing I know, he's a Mexican.  His first language is Spanish.  Lived in Mexico City the first 7 years of his life.  And, not surprisingly for some reason, his parents met at Harvard.  He does a pretty good job of passing himself off as a regular dude, but he's anything but that. 

Carry on.

Hmmmm.

Offline PIG.WEED

• Flying under the radar for 2012.
  • Tush Hog
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2011, 08:16:54 PM »
So, he's a white European Jewish Mexican-American.   ;D
Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, The Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for any inconvenie

Offline Hogtired

• Boar
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2011, 08:27:03 PM »
When his show was on HBO it was the tits.
AYFSM?

Offline big_pig

• King of the Hogs
  • Avatars were made to be broken, but not this one!
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2012, 01:13:51 PM »

And that's why you'll never have 3rd world swagger like this guy or Cerdo.

I thought that guy WAS Cerdo...
I am not claiming I am right, I am saying I don't get it.

Online notaslibro

• Super Mod
  • Administrator
  • King of the Hogs
  • They buy me nice school clothes.
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2012, 01:23:27 PM »
"Jewry" is a great word.

Offline Pumpkin Escobar

• Rocky Mountain High
  • King of the Hogs
  • An image of excellence.
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2012, 01:25:37 PM »
I thought that guy WAS Cerdo...

Cerdo doesn't allow pictures of himself to be taken. He thinks people are trying to steal his soul when they try.
An té nach leigheasann im nó uisce beatha, ní aon leigheas ar.

Tiocfaidh ár lá! Éireann go brách!

Offline KSHogg

• Music Man
  • Boar
  • Mobile spray tanner
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2012, 01:34:36 PM »
"Jewry" is a great word.

Ebonics for jewelry?
Still runnin' against the wind

WOOPIG.NET   © 2014  Jackson Technologies

Page created in 0.346 seconds with 21 queries.