Welcome, Guest! Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: NFL Rules  (Read 1968 times)

Offline Sus-Scrofa

• King of the Hogs
Re: NFL Rules
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2012, 10:09:03 AM »
It's the "Favre" rule.  It came about after the NFC Championship game when Favre was at Minnesota where the game went to OT (after a Favre interception of course) and the Saints won the coin flip and went straight down the field and kicked a FG to win.  At that time Favre was still a media darling so there was much butthurt over the fact that Favre didn't get the opportunity to bring his team back for the win and make it to the Super Bowl thus cheating the media out of the gigantic Favre orgy it would've become.

Scab opened.

:suicide:

fricking interception...

Offline CharlieHog

• Fanboy
  • King of the Hogs
    • Hog Nation
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2012, 10:13:56 AM »
Maybe we should just get rid of reviews altogether (or keep them only for very specific plays, like baseball and basketball). I think it's causing refs to slack off in real time.

Offline gambler

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2012, 11:42:33 AM »

You want a return to the force-out rule?

Nobody liked that rule, which is why the NFL got rid of it three years ago.
I think if a player is near the sideline and goes up for a catch and is clearly going to come down in bounds is grabbed midair and pushed out of bounds, he should be rewarded with a catch.

Offline BigDavis

• Squirrel hater
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2012, 12:16:46 PM »
I don't think that's quite right. I think it's just that any scoring play is automatically reviewed, but a non-scoring play is left to the discretion of the officials. It's not that a play call an incompletion can't be reviewed, it just isn't automatic like a TD is.

But you're right, they ought to tweak that to find some definition where the a play that the only other result would have been scoring is also reviewed.

The play I'm referring to from the Lions vs Packers game the guy had control of the ball and got both feet down in the end zone but was called incomplete and they were told it was not a reviewable play.

Online 501 Boyz

• Boar
NFL Rules
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2012, 12:17:53 PM »
I thought all scoring plays were reviewable. If that's the play I'm thinking of

Online TexZilla

• Boar
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2012, 06:17:46 PM »
I think if a player is near the sideline and goes up for a catch and is clearly going to come down in bounds is grabbed midair and pushed out of bounds, he should be rewarded with a catch.

The force out rule was awful, because it could never be called decisively.  Were you really pushed out, or did it look like you were pushed out.  I was glad the NFL simplified the game by making the rule the way it ought to be: two feet in its a catch, period.  In a league that is struggling to get some balance back I was glad to see this fixed as it gave a huge advantage to the offense.

WOOPIG.NET   © 2014  Jackson Technologies

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 21 queries.