Welcome, Guest! Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Hogs in the Draft  (Read 4040 times)

Offline Arkansas Proud

• Admins be changing my title daily
  • King of the Hogs
  • The better half
Hogs in the Draft
« on: January 07, 2012, 10:46:51 AM »
Anyone got any guesses to where our seniors will go in the draft?

I'd say Adams (2nd), Thomas (3rd), Wright (3rd), Bequette (5th), and Franklin (6th) are possibilities.  Any others?
"I completely agree." -- Stephen Coalboar on August 22, 2014 at 11:39 a.m.

Online Aporkalypse_Now

• King of the Hogs
  • That's the way baseball go
Re: Hogs in the Draft
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 10:53:09 AM »
After the game, Mel Kiper apparently said Bequette was now in his top 20 overall FWIW.

No way Jake falls that low, pass-rushing DEs are right up there with CBs and OTs as premium NFL draft positions, and Jake could be an elite pass rusher.

Offline ManBearHog

• A Shoat
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 10:54:29 AM »
Franklin (6th)

Dang, that guy with the weird hair had him as a first rounder before this season.  He had a good year, but like Hillis I think he will fully realize his potential at the next level.

Offline aNiMaL

• Selling The Drama daily
  • Administrator
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 11:07:18 AM »
Wright 2nd to 3rd (big senior year, most complete wr on our team)
Adams 2nd to 3rd (will be drafted mainly as kr/pr IMO, hands are questionable.)
Franklin 5th to 6th (the type that may bounce around and eventually make a team)
Bequette 3rd or lower (needs a great combine)
Thomas 5th or lower (lacked a big senior year, his stock is down)
Childs 4th or lower (he could help himself with a solid combine)
Nelson 6th or fa (will have to show he can play safety)

These guys may get a camp invite, wouldn't surprise me to find out a couple on this list make a team. Ray Dominguez made a team, I'm sure in no small part to be well coached in spite of his nervous leg syndrome.

Stadther
Madison
Freeman
Cook
Green

And so it was that later
As the miller told his tale
That her face, at first just ghostly,
Turned a whiter shade of pale

Offline Arkansas Proud

• King of the Hogs
  • The better half
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2012, 11:14:12 AM »
I was just guessing with my projections and don't claim to have read any NFL draft sites.  I find it hard to believe Bequette goes in the first couple rounds, but who knows?  I also don't think Franklin is near as good as his number of tackles seems to indicate.  I've just seen him miss way too many tackles, and without the size/speed numbers to project a lot of potential at the next level, I don't think he's going to go as high as a lot of other SEC linebackers, much less any guys from other conferences that I don't even know about.

Still, this could be our best draft in years.

Offline big_pig

• King of the Hogs
  • Avatars were made to be broken, but not this one!
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2012, 11:38:40 AM »
Wright in the 2nd round.
Adams in the 2nd round.
Bequette in the 3rd round (he had his best game ever yesterday, but didn't have a great year overall.  I always thought he was a 2nd round/non starter type).
Franklin in the 5th or 6th.

I don't think Nelson or Thomas will be drafted at all.  Too many bigger, faster linebackers and safetys to be taken ahead of them. Broderick Green might get picked very late, and might get picked up after the draft by someone.
I am not claiming I am right, I am saying I don't get it.

Offline Rob

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2012, 11:44:27 AM »
Childs will go in the 4th or 5th and be a fricking steal.  He started to show late he was back.  He and Cobi Missed Mallett's sideline canon arm.  Not many have it. 

Others, I have no idea on the rest.  2-4 th rounders at best.

Best NFL players on the team:
Wilson
Davis
Hamilton
Small
DD Jones
Swanson
Bailey
Peacock

All may go next year.

Offline Cerdo

• I am Strawman
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2012, 11:48:49 AM »
After the game, Mel Rev Hair apparently said Bequette was now in his top 20 overall FWIW.

No way Jake falls that low, pass-rushing DEs are right up there with CBs and OTs as premium NFL draft positions, and Jake could be an elite pass rusher.
I think Bequette has done a great job here but I just keep thinking, as a regular old fan, that Jake is just a little bit too slow to be considered an elite pass rusher.  I hope I'm wrong and he makes big money.

I think Joe has made himself more money than any other player on the Hogs who came back for their senior year.  I'm pretty sure a few NFL GM's have watched him and begun to make mental comparisons to Hester and Patrick Peterson and taken note of how teams overlooked their impact.

If I were a GM, I'd take a chance and draft Childs late.  He has the body, the tools and the work ethic to go with fantastic preparation from his time getting coached by the Petrinos.  He's clearly still coming back from the injury but he could be a beast just now getting back to where he was. 

Offline ManBearHog

• A Shoat
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2012, 11:55:35 AM »
With all the good exposure he's been getting, I wouldn't be too shocked to see someone take a chance on Joe in the first round.

Offline muslimsdonteatme

• Thunderbolt of Flaming Wisdom
  • Administrator
  • Tush Hog
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2012, 11:57:25 AM »
Bequette goes second round.  Adams second or third.  Wright 4th.  Childs 5th.  Franklin and Nelson 5th or below.

Offline aNiMaL

• Selling The Drama daily
  • Administrator
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2012, 12:15:35 PM »
http://www.drafttek.com/default.asp

Decent mock site, some wtf draft picks in there but you will see that with most of these mock drafts.
And so it was that later
As the miller told his tale
That her face, at first just ghostly,
Turned a whiter shade of pale

Offline Arkansas Proud

• King of the Hogs
  • The better half
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2012, 12:33:56 PM »

If I were a GM, I'd take a chance and draft Childs late.  He has the body, the tools and the work ethic to go with fantastic preparation from his time getting coached by the Petrinos.

He seemed pretty skinny in '09, then bulked up in '10, now it seems he lost a lot of weight and muscle from last year.

I don't have HD though. 8-)

Offline Razorback Jedi

• Tush Hog
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2012, 01:26:42 PM »
Do we have any underclassmen declaring for the draft?

Offline Shermy

• #thicke UTV
  • Boar
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2012, 01:36:14 PM »
When Wright runs a 4.3 at the combine he will go in the late first.

Offline Hogtired

• Boar
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2012, 02:28:43 PM »
Do we have any underclassmen declaring for the draft?

Wilson and Davis are possible.
AYFSM?

Offline Rob

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2012, 02:47:38 PM »
Wilson and Davis are possible.

Some folks have said (same ones that dissed Mallett) that he would be the #3 QB taken behind Luck and RG3.  I will be curious to see his grade from the NFL.

Davis would go 2nd or 3rd Rd.

Offline ManBearHog

• A Shoat
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2012, 02:51:33 PM »
Some folks have said (same ones that dissed Mallett) that he would be the #3 QB taken behind Luck and RG3.

Todd McShay said it, but last year he had Mallett 7th or some aMm behind that guy from Nevada.  frick that dude, how can you look at both quarterbacks' and come to the conclusion that Wilson would get drafted higher?

Wilson is a good quarterback but he's not made for the NFL the way Mallett is. 

Online Pumpkin Escobar

• Rocky Mountain High
  • King of the Hogs
  • An image of excellence.
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2012, 03:05:54 PM »
Bequette's draft position will be greatly decided by how he does at the combine. He's been a productive player but he will have to show the type of burst and speed that NFL teams want at DE. Joe's return ability makes him a wildcard and could get him picked higher than his WR ability says he should. Childs could be a steal for someone if he gets back to full speed.
An té nach leigheasann im nó uisce beatha, ní aon leigheas ar.

Tiocfaidh ár lá! Éireann go brách!

Offline The Cowboy Tiger

• Dirty Stanchez
  • King of the Hogs
  • Whiskery Poo
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2012, 04:11:35 PM »
I hope that Joe Adams goes to Green Bay, but they won't take him.
I'm just a dark guy from a den of iniquity.

Don't go away mad.  Just go away.

Offline Rob

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2012, 04:13:13 PM »

Don't need him...but they didn't need DJ either.

Offline The Cowboy Tiger

• Dirty Stanchez
  • King of the Hogs
  • Whiskery Poo
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2012, 04:19:48 PM »
Don't need him...but they didn't need DJ either.

I know.
I'm just a dark guy from a den of iniquity.

Don't go away mad.  Just go away.

Offline Turd F.

• Token Coonass
  • Boar
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2012, 04:32:41 PM »

I'm hoping Pittsburgh takes him if they don't go with OL or RB first. Hines Ward will be cut or retire (it's speculated he won't be with them next year) and Antonio Brown would then likely moved from returner to full-time WR. Mike Wallace, Brown, Emmanuel Sanders, and Joe would be the fastest, shiftiest WR group in the league.

Offline muslimsdonteatme

• Administrator
  • Tush Hog
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2012, 04:45:23 PM »

You know who Joe Adams reminds me of?  Troy Brown.

"Play me anywhere, coach."

I'm a Skins fan, yes indeedy, but I'd rather see Joe end up in Boston than anywhere else.  He's a fit in the Belichick system.

Offline Death By Sooiecide

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2012, 05:20:42 PM »
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2012/story/_/id/7430152/nfl-draft-quarterback-rankings-minus-landry-jones

Another week, another talented quarterback with a first-round grade in the 2012 NFL draft is out of the mix. Landry Jones made it official Thursday afternoon that he'll be returning to Oklahoma for another season, and the ramifications are significant. Jones' announcement also might shift the decision-making process for an SEC quarterback.

Before the update, let me say I applaud the decision of Jones. He has a lot of ability, but struggled in the second half of the season, and made it clear to evaluators that there are things he can work on and skills he can refine with more experience. I fully expect that at this point next year, we'll again be talking about him as a potential high first-round pick, and hopefully with some positive momentum on his side.

That said, let's take a look at how the quarterback class shapes up. As a caveat, I'm not going to rank Arkansas junior Tyler Wilson in the rankings, but will indicate where I think he would fit if he does decide to enter the draft.

1. Andrew Luck

I'll spare you another round of superlatives. You saw again in his final college game what makes Luck so special. Against a talented team that had a month to prepare, and with a lack of major weapons in the passing game, Luck carved up Oklahoma State and completed nearly 90 percent of his passes. He has it all -- smarts, arm strength, poise, pocket awareness, an ability to throw on the move to either side, and a preternatural sense of how to move defenders with his eyes. He can call the plays, and check down when the play isn't there. He's the best quarterback prospect since John Elway. Sorry, I didn't exactly spare you.
Grade: High 1st

2. Robert Griffin III

No quarterback is riding a better wave of momentum, and I fully expect that a team could be willing to move up to as high as No. 2 in the draft to get him. Great arm strength, exceptional athleticism, improved and now elite accuracy on the deep ball, and a ton of experience make Griffin a very appealing prospect. I think he'll particularly shine when teams get to talk to this young man, because he's got the intangibles, the personality and is a proven leader.
Grade: High 1st

3. Nick Foles

He may have lost a little shine this season because of the way the Wildcats performed as a team, but Foles is a really solid developmental prospect. He's a big kid, at 6-foot-5 and 240 pounds, is accurate, moves and throws well to both his right and his left, and has solid mechanics. Questions for Foles start with decision-making, but I think he may have tried to force his throws too often as the team struggled, and the numbers tell some of that story. But you can draft Foles in the late first or early second round and develop him.
Grade: Late 1st to mid-2nd

4. Ryan Tannehill

He's a really intelligent player, with a strong arm. He displays a good grasp of the offense and has come a long way in a short time -- you're talking about a former wide receiver -- and was able to put up good numbers. Tannehill is a guy with more upside than polish, and part of that stems from the fact that I have him at just 19 starts after the bowl game. He had a really rough game against Texas, which looked worse when Griffin went out and lit up the Longhorns soon after, but all in all, I still saw this as a solid growth season. Again, he's not a player a competitive NFL team wants starting games in 2012, but there are skills to work with.
Grade: Early to late 2nd

5. Brandon Weeden

Hey, you subtract one key number, and Weeden jumps up this list. He has a big-time arm, is accurate, plays with poise and can beat you over the top. The bottom line is if you think this is a guy you want to draft and develop for a year, he might not make his first NFL start until he's 30 years old. Let's face it, that's a number nobody will overlook. It says a lot for Weeden's ability that he's in the position to be drafted at all.
Grade: Late 2nd to middle rounds

The question mark

Tyler Wilson, were he to enter the draft, would be at No. 3 on this list for me. This is a kid who just shows great toughness and the ability to be accurate while extending plays and taking hits. He worked behind a subpar offensive line this season, but is willing to look down the barrel and make throws. He slides well to his left or right, has above-average accuracy, and has a good sense of how to calibrate his throws, not overcooking underneath throws, and putting the necessary pace on the ball when he wants to push it down the field. Let's be clear that there's no guarantee at all that Wilson would land in Round 1 were he to stay in the draft. But he does have that kind of potential.

Other quarterbacks you'll see in the mix are Kirk Cousins, Ryan Lindley and BJ Coleman. And there'll be many evaluations and possible shifts to come.

Offline Cerdo

• I am Strawman
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2012, 05:58:03 PM »
Okay, so this is Woopig.net, where we are smarter than the average message board and not necessarily a bunch of zombies spouting the same regurgitated spin over and over again in order to fall in line..... so I ask because I don't follow PAC football and I've never even watched a Stanford game over a series this year.

Is this Luck kid really worthy of the comparisons to John Elway? 

WOOPIG.NET   © 2014  Jackson Technologies

Page created in 0.348 seconds with 20 queries.