Welcome, Guest! Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Hogs in the Draft  (Read 3987 times)

Offline travark

• Tush Hog
Re: Hogs in the Draft
« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2012, 12:38:44 AM »
Todd McShay said it, but last year he had Mallett 7th or some aMm behind that guy from Nevada.  frick that dude, how can you look at both quarterbacks' and come to the conclusion that Wilson would get drafted higher?

Wilson is a good quarterback but he's not made for the NFL the way Mallett is.

Whether it's true or not doesn't matter in terms of draft stock until Wilson gets some nebulous Character Issue Rumors floated about him.  Wilson will absolutely be drafted higher.

Offline Old Dirty Boarstard

• Boar
  • quack
« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2012, 02:18:23 AM »
I'd trade Wilson for Luck in a heartbeat. I love Tyler Wilson as our QB but Luck is the most complete quarterback to come through the college game since Elway.  He's the most accurate, intelligent, and consistent QB I've seen since Peyton, plus he does aMm like this:

Offline muslimsdonteatme

• Thunderbolt of Flaming Wisdom
  • Administrator
  • Wild Hog
« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2012, 06:48:04 AM »

He still likes to hammer me with some statement I am not even sure I made where I supposedly said I'd take Jay Cutler over Peyton Manning or something.

I remember when you said that.  Had me scratching my head.   :evil:

Offline Satch

• brings nothing to the discussion.
  • Boar
  • I'm crazy for these cupcakes, cousin !
    • The good guys always win... even in the 80's!
« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2012, 09:21:12 AM »
I think Bequette has done a great job here but I just keep thinking, as a regular old fan, that Jake is just a little bit too slow to be considered an elite pass rusher.  I hope I'm wrong and he makes big money.

I think Joe has made himself more money than any other player on the Hogs who came back for their senior year.  I'm pretty sure a few NFL GM's have watched him and begun to make mental comparisons to Hester and Patrick Peterson and taken note of how teams overlooked their impact.

If I were a GM, I'd take a chance and draft Childs late.  He has the body, the tools and the work ethic to go with fantastic preparation from his time getting coached by the Petrinos.  He's clearly still coming back from the injury but he could be a beast just now getting back to where he was.
If I remember correctly, someone stated that Jake's 10 yard time was one of the best on the team.  I'm not sure what his weight room numbers look like, but that 10 yard time has become a measure of explosiveness in recent years, or at least finally mentioned in the media more.

I agree that Childs is going to depend on his workouts to prove that he is getting back to form.  I think it's known that his injury takes a while to fully recover from, but he's gotta prove that he's back.  I don't think anyone will question his receiving ability, it's all focus on his movement.

Also I'm not sure Wilson reads a defense and audibles as well as Mallett did.  I don't think he makes reads as quickly, to be honest.  Mallett's deep ball was also much better, as Wilson has been hit and miss on the long passes.  Looking purely at his passing ability, I see Luck having the best aspects of Mallett's and Wilson's game, although not quite as strong an arm as Ryan.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 09:34:04 AM by Satch »
Keep Calm, and get Fired Up!

Offline Oliver Fist

• Tush Hog
« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2012, 12:20:30 PM »
Luck does not have the deep ball skills Elway had. Not even close. He develops that, and he will be great in the NFL. That's about the only knock I can see with him. Wilson needs another year to develop his ability to read D's and know what changes to make or recognize missmatches.

Offline TexZilla

• Boar
« Reply #55 on: January 08, 2012, 12:35:35 PM »
Wilson will benefit greatly by returning for another year.  I hope thats the advice he gets and takes.

As the game evolves, a lot of teams will start moving from 4-5 WR on the team to 6-7.  Too many 4 wide sets and too many injuries, so Adams will get a shot.

Bequette's place will depend on his combine speed.  I think he'll be a late 2 early 3, in the 55-70 pick range.

Offline aNiMaL

• IT WAS ME!
  • Administrator
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #56 on: January 08, 2012, 12:41:52 PM »
Luck does not have the deep ball skills Elway had. Not even close. He develops that, and he will be great in the NFL. That's about the only knock I can see with him. Wilson needs another year to develop his ability to read D's and know what changes to make or recognize missmatches.

I would say that is somewhat a misconception. What separates Elway wasn't the long ball it was that he could be accurate tossing routine 20 yarders all day long, combine that with mobility and you have something special. Luck has mobility but I wouldn't go calling him Elway or Steve Young. Now that I think of it as a passer he is probably closer to Steve Young than Elway. From what I have seen of Luck he is really good locating the ball and it's out on time more often than not, the huge arm stuff is important but overall it's not the be all end all otherwise there would be a lot more Jamarcus Russell types and fewer like Drew Brees.
frick common. Right on corch.

Offline TexZilla

• Boar
« Reply #57 on: January 09, 2012, 07:20:56 AM »
He'll go low first round/early second if he goes out right now.  He'll be a top three pick after next year.

Tyler Wilson is the best QB we've had since Joe Ferguson, and he's already had more success than Joe had for the Hogs.  Damn shame Frank didn't know how to use Joe. 

Petrino knows how to use Wilson.

Wilson also has a better cast of receivers than Ferguson had.  Im not one that tries to play the this guy in this system vs the one in that system.  You are what you are.  Luck will be the top pick unless he is revealed as the mastermind behind the Penn State scandal.  Whether he succeeds or not will depend on his coaching, his Oline, and all kinds of intangibles.  $30 million plus in a 23 year old's bank account presents everyone some challenges.  I respect all of them that are able to resist holing up in a fancy hotel with a crew of Swedish hookers for a month.

Joe Ferguson was Frank's biggest recruiting coup since Lance Alworth, beating out Bear Bryant, LSU, and every other school camping outside his house.  He had an arm like nothing anyone had ever seen in these parts.  Frank had a pro set offense for him, but those post-Montgomery teams just didnt gel right.  The 71 Liberty Bowl just fricked them up.  Its too bad; Joe put up remarkable numbers, but the last season, when we were the SI pick as NC, and Joe the Heisman, collapsed and Joe was benched, and a number of seniors, for the final game against Texas Tech.  An ugly way to go out, and a damn shame.  If we put Joe in Petrino's offense with these receivers (and maybe that line; it had a couple of NFL linemen on it) he would break every NCAA passing record, no doubt in my mind.

Offline muslimsdonteatme

• Administrator
  • Wild Hog
« Reply #58 on: January 09, 2012, 10:00:44 AM »
Wilson also has a better cast of receivers than Ferguson had.  Im not one that tries to play the this guy in this system vs the one in that system.  You are what you are.  Luck will be the top pick unless he is revealed as the mastermind behind the Penn State scandal.  Whether he succeeds or not will depend on his coaching, his Oline, and all kinds of intangibles.  $30 million plus in a 23 year old's bank account presents everyone some challenges.  I respect all of them that are able to resist holing up in a fancy hotel with a crew of Swedish hookers for a month.

Joe Ferguson was Frank's biggest recruiting coup since Lance Alworth, beating out Bear Bryant, LSU, and every other school camping outside his house.  He had an arm like nothing anyone had ever seen in these parts.  Frank had a pro set offense for him, but those post-Montgomery teams just didnt gel right.  The 71 Liberty Bowl just fricked them up.  Its too bad; Joe put up remarkable numbers, but the last season, when we were the SI pick as NC, and Joe the Heisman, collapsed and Joe was benched, and a number of seniors, for the final game against Texas Tech.  An ugly way to go out, and a damn shame.  If we put Joe in Petrino's offense with these receivers (and maybe that line; it had a couple of NFL linemen on it) he would break every NCAA passing record, no doubt in my mind.

Agreed.

Though Joe F. did have my favorite receiver of all time to throw to, Mike Reppond.  But that was about it.

Online Arkansas Proud

• Admins be changing my title daily
  • King of the Hogs
  • The better half
« Reply #59 on: January 09, 2012, 10:14:28 AM »
Agreed.

Though Joe F. did have my favorite receiver of all time to throw to, Mike Reppond.  But that was about it.

More famously known as co-host with Renee Gork.   O0
"I completely agree." -- Stephen Coalboar on August 22, 2014 at 11:39 a.m.

Offline muslimsdonteatme

• Administrator
  • Wild Hog
« Reply #60 on: January 09, 2012, 11:47:05 AM »
More famously known as co-host with Renee Gork.   O0

Really?  I did not know that.

Reppond was an early hero of mine because he was the first receiver I ever saw make a diving one-handed circus catch.  Against Baylor, I think.  It opened my eyes in a big way. 

WOOPIG.NET   © 2014  Jackson Technologies

Page created in 0.21 seconds with 21 queries.