Welcome, Guest! Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: the band  (Read 10262 times)

Online TexZilla

• Boar
the band
« on: January 08, 2012, 12:25:54 PM »
I have been going to Razorback games since the mid sixties.  Before I start this rant, I will qualify my position that I dont really find any value in marching bands, flag corps, baton twirlers, or male cheerleaders in college football.  Give me a ten-fifteen  minute halftime, maybe a homecoming queen, maybe a celebration of legacy players, maybe dogs playing frisbee, or peewee squads playing four games at once.

If one has a marching band, however, I think one should be have the best fricking band out there.  If you have to have flag girls, make sure they are a squad that does one proud.  Shoot all baton twirlers regardless unless they're nekkid and twirling dangerous implents or fire.

In going to Hog games for almost fifty years, I have to say this band has sucked for that entire stretch, and imo, they really sucked Friday night.  The tired routine, the awful uniforms, the same songs I heard in 1972.  They should play only the fight song.  Nothing else.  The "gimme a H" cheer by the band announcer was as lame as anything I've ever heard.  My opinion is this band needs to be traded out for a solid high school unit that can rock out.

What is more concerning is from a recruiting standpoint with the onfield womens of the flag corps and twirlers. (not cheerleaders).  I said in another post how my son marveled at how hot the Arkansas fan womens were.  This flag squad evidently is under some Title IX mandate to provide a place for anyone who desires a place at the table. First, not all of them were women.   I know the squad on our end had an enormous overweight dude swishing around with that dime store flag.  The women on that end werent much better.  The lead baton twirler was about the size of a Buick.

BMFP needs to determine that this is a critical issue for the program, and either take over the band program and shoot whatever football haters are in place and put some good looking womens on the field.  What prospect would come to the program if his only vision of Arkansas women is the halftime show?

Offline Dr. HawgLove

• That's Dr. Merkwerdichliebe to you
  • Tush Hog
  • Just look at the big board.
Re: the band
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 01:10:58 PM »
You look at LSU Golden whores then look at the cattle in our band and you just want to cry.
"God willing, we will prevail, in peace and freedom from fear, and in true health, through the purity and essence of our natural fluids."

"I think you're some kind of deviated prevert. I think general Ripper found out about your prevertion, and you were organizing some kind of mutiny of preverts."

"she's shitting quite a tail, there......."

Offline Buffinator

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 01:27:45 PM »
I google-searched LSU Golden Girls and forgot what this thread was about for 10 minutes or so.  But yeah, something like that marching across the field at halftime would certainly be a help in getting non-ghey football recruits to stay here.

Offline hogfan58

• Bret Bielema, cheese curds and frozen custard...you betcha!!
  • Boar
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 01:31:31 PM »
What's sad is some family just donated a aMm load of $$ for "new" band unis and they bought the same old crappy looking ones. I was at Jerry World a few weeks ago for the Texas State HS Champioships and watched some 3A school band actually march like TAMU's band, then go into a skit ala the Rice MOB, then finish with a Christmas theme medley with cheerleaders as reindeers.....and they put the show together in 1 week.

Our band freaking repeats shows, supposedly due to "popular demand".  Bullshit.
I'm asking you as fans, don't give up on those players, don't give up on us, it's our program, it's the state of Alabama program...it's not one individuals program, so hang in there...

Offline Passed

• What the fuck you lookin' at?
  • Tush Hog
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 01:56:02 PM »
They do it to make their name ironic.

Online TexZilla

• Boar
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 01:58:57 PM »
What I always liked about the TAMU band is that they looked like they could put their horns down and kill you with their bare hands.

It costs the school a jillion dollars to ship that godawful band to out of state games.  They should instead keep them at home and just rent out a good band. I guarantee BMFP is unaware of how awful it is because he is in the lockeroom, and he studies no film of the band.  If he knew what a downer they are he would blow it up.

The Kilgore Rangerettes may wear some stupid aMm unis but they were all babes Friday night.  We should just hire them and send them out to every recruits house. 

the other thing is that alma mater song.  We have a solid fight song, but that alma mater is better as a funeral dirge.  It needs to be shitcanned in favor of a rockin ode to BMFP.  No one gives a aMm about that stupid song. If the fricking alma mater makes you misty eyed, then go get a therapist. 

That dumptruck of a lead twirler either must be a niece of Winthrop Rockefeller, a Walton, or have fold back teeth and a vibrating tongue. 

Offline wmr

• Locally Grown, 100% Organic
  • King of the Hogs
  • (.) (.)
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 02:04:52 PM »
I agree, a lot.

I don't have a problem with the Alma Mater.  What I do have a problem with is playing the same tired stupid high school aMm that was played 30 years ago.

Bama, LSU and Starkville even Ole fricking Miss have a unique First Down fanfare.  We play the same aMm that is played by 10,000 high school and junior high schools across the country.

LSU's band always puts our band to shame.

Its not the fault of the kids or members of the band.  They just play what they are given.

LSU's band makes their section party.  They play aMm that gets their crowd involved, almost every down.

Our band is better than it was under Gunter, because under Gunter it was absolute dog aMm. 

Now, our marching is good, the sound is loud at times, and the tempo is good.  We just need to overhaul some of the same tired aMm we play.  Do something original.  Anything.  Anyfucking thing that is just OURs.  I can hear the gawddamned Bama fanfare in my sleep.  Same with Georgia.  Same with LSU.

Our band is the least original, most generic, ho-hum boring-ass band in the SEC.  Maybe KY or State have shittier playlists.  Maybe....
LSU fans are tres gauche.

Offline wmr

• Locally Grown, 100% Organic
  • King of the Hogs
  • (.) (.)
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2012, 02:10:53 PM »

That dumptruck of a lead twirler either must be a niece of Winthrop Rockefeller, a Walton, or have fold back teeth and a vibrating tongue.

I had a slutty 7th grade science teacher who had been a majorette at UA in the 70s.  On days that it was all just too much and she'd take a half a valium, she'd get really relaxed  in class and start talking about various things that were borderline sexual or just plain strange.

One day, I remember her talking about how in the 70s, the majorettes all had to weigh-in at the start of the season.  Each game, they had to weigh before taking part in the band for that game.  If they were ever more than 3 lbs heavier than their "game weight" they were held out.  They made a point to enforce the weight guidelines so our girls would all look sexy on tv.

America was better back then, when we expected more of our wimmens.  Sure, maybe we lost a few to anorexia and a few to bulimia, but on the whole, we were all better off as football fans.  Totally worth it.
LSU fans are tres gauche.

Offline Zoso

• Claims to have met Duckman
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2012, 02:19:54 PM »
I'll have a talk with Levon Helm about it.

Offline aNiMaL

• Selling The Drama daily
  • Administrator
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2012, 02:31:31 PM »
As far as in game sounds of the stadium the Gators and Georgia bands are great at making any point in the game no matter how boring sound critically important as if you were watching a movie unfold and your life depended on it. Other bands do that too, we don't.

I thought the Oregon and Wisconsin bands were great the other night as well at marching and in game rallies.

I'm glad our band and double wide flag girls are the only things we can bitch about today.
And so it was that later
As the miller told his tale
That her face, at first just ghostly,
Turned a whiter shade of pale

Offline Death By Sooiecide

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2012, 02:45:08 PM »
If we are losing recruits because of the band and flag girls and the like, then we don't need them.

Now if we are losing them because of a lack of a basketball practice facility...

Offline Hackfuck McDouche

• With a name like Hackfuck, it has to be Good
  • King of the Hogs
  • Can I have YOUR vote? And a hot dog?
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2012, 02:48:34 PM »

the other thing is that alma mater song.  We have a solid fight song, but that alma mater is better as a funeral dirge.  It needs to be shitcanned in favor of a rockin ode to BMFP.  No one gives a aMm about that stupid song. If the fricking alma mater makes you misty eyed, then go get a therapist. 

Shutup, fuckstain.

Offline JoeBobHog

• Git to fuckin'.
  • King of the Hogs
  • your wife's puthy tastes like sweet butter.
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2012, 02:55:23 PM »
Shutup, fuckstain.

agreeance.

some aMm is sacred.

:notexas:
Irvin: BWAAHAHAHA! (yelling) Aw mane!  Deion, scrin scranton!  BWAAHAHAHA!  Got to grisna!  Like T.O.!  BWAAHAHAHA!
Sanders: BWAAHAHAHA!
Marino: OK, well like we were saying before, McNair will display the toughness and show the kind of heart that...
Irvin: BWAAAHAHAHA! (yelling) You know I scrilleous crate!  Grab a pen in traven!  BWAAAHAHAHA!  Sh*t!  Now I'm say!  Aw mane!
Sanders: HA HA!  Crenious shanta!  BWAAAHAHAHA!
Marino: What?
Irvin: BWAAAHAHAHA! (pushes Sanders in shoulder, falls backward out of chair)
Sanders:  Aw mane!
Irvin: (from ground)  BWAAAHAHAHA!

H.P. 4/27/04

Offline PorkRyan

• King of the Hogs
  • Stirke First, Strike Hard, Show No Mercy
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2012, 03:38:56 PM »
I meant to post this in the basketball thread a few games ago, but forgot.  I believe it was the Texas Southern game, our dance squad performed in half cut basketball jerseys and spandex.  All of them had their hair down it was the best I have ever seen our dance squad look.  It looked like something that Oregon would do. 

As far as the band, I'd prefer loud music played over the PA.  To Starkville with pageantry, I wanna rock.
I got the glory, got the fame, the money, the jewels, the cash, the denali, getting drunk on the reg. fricking good times on the reg, yachts on the reg, sex on the reg, basically all the aMm men fantasize about.

Offline WPFM

• Administrator
  • King of the Hogs
  • greets apathy like an old friend
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2012, 04:21:07 PM »
Shutup, fuckstain.

agreeance.

some aMm is sacred.

Yeah, I have to say I was with you right up until this.  Leave the alma mater alone.  However if you wanna add in Click Click Boom right after it, that would be fine.
Ya'll ever tried to suck a dick for 20 minutes?  It isn't easy.

Offline The Cowboy Tiger

• Dirty Stanchez
  • King of the Hogs
  • Whiskery Poo
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2012, 05:19:30 PM »
the half-time spelling of Go Hogs is awful.  I hate it more than anything.
I'm just a dark guy from a den of iniquity.

Don't go away mad.  Just go away.

Offline abypfcs

• King of the Hogs
  • Both my favorite teams are underdogs.
    • YPFCS
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2012, 05:23:59 PM »

Damn, one more thing I now have to tell my therapist.

Offline Snorts

• Boar
  • 7 Screaming Diz Busters
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2012, 05:53:34 PM »

I have a therapist, and this never comes up, even though I get misty eyed.  What would be wrong with keeping the Alma Mater AND having the rockin ode to BMFP?  Best of both worlds then, right?
Just ask the Axis

Offline subliznime

• Don't tread on me!
  • Boar
  • We are the like
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2012, 06:37:06 PM »
I'll have a talk with Levon Helm about it.
He still puts on a rocking show!!  :thumbup:
“An intellectual is a person who has discovered something more interesting than sex.”
― Aldous Huxley

Online TexZilla

• Boar
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2012, 06:54:58 PM »
Im sorry if i offended you with my comments about the alma mater, and happy you take no offense about the fact that our majorettes ass is as wide as a walmart parkimg lot.

I am of the opinion that anything that detracts from firing up the crowd, signing a recruit, or selling a ticket is a waste of time.  The pretense these are truly students is among that element, i dont want them confused before kickoff.  The alma mater is bad music with godawful lyrics, written in an unremarkable time in music history.  Personally i think some Johnny Cash songs would be better, on tape, no band.  Its not a knock on the school, the state, or you. 

As far as putting goid looking trim on the field instead of a dumptruck, i believe any recruit of any stars has in his mind that he is going to play ball, and get laid.  The school is like any southern school; it is highly populated with hot womens.  Round some up and stick a flag or baton in their hand. 

Offline cooter

• Boar
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2012, 07:07:34 PM »
I have been going to Razorback games since the mid sixties.  Before I start this rant, I will qualify my position that I dont really find any value in marching bands, flag corps, baton twirlers, or male cheerleaders in college football.  Give me a ten-fifteen  minute halftime, maybe a homecoming queen, maybe a celebration of legacy players, maybe dogs playing frisbee, or peewee squads playing four games at once.

If one has a marching band, however, I think one should be have the best fricking band out there.  If you have to have flag girls, make sure they are a squad that does one proud.  Shoot all baton twirlers regardless unless they're nekkid and twirling dangerous implents or fire.

In going to Hog games for almost fifty years, I have to say this band has sucked for that entire stretch, and imo, they really sucked Friday night.  The tired routine, the awful uniforms, the same songs I heard in 1972.  They should play only the fight song.  Nothing else.  The "gimme a H" cheer by the band announcer was as lame as anything I've ever heard.  My opinion is this band needs to be traded out for a solid high school unit that can rock out.

What is more concerning is from a recruiting standpoint with the onfield womens of the flag corps and twirlers. (not cheerleaders).  I said in another post how my son marveled at how hot the Arkansas fan womens were.  This flag squad evidently is under some Title IX mandate to provide a place for anyone who desires a place at the table. First, not all of them were women.   I know the squad on our end had an enormous overweight dude swishing around with that dime store flag.  The women on that end werent much better.  The lead baton twirler was about the size of a Buick.

BMFP needs to determine that this is a critical issue for the program, and either take over the band program and shoot whatever football haters are in place and put some good looking womens on the field.  What prospect would come to the program if his only vision of Arkansas women is the halftime show?

Gramps, are you really bitching about the band?

Offline abypfcs

• King of the Hogs
  • Both my favorite teams are underdogs.
    • YPFCS
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2012, 07:14:17 PM »
Im sorry if i offended you with my comments about the alma mater, and happy you take no offense about the fact that our majorettes ass is as wide as a walmart parkimg lot.

I am of the opinion that anything that detracts from firing up the crowd, signing a recruit, or selling a ticket is a waste of time.  The pretense these are truly students is among that element, i dont want them confused before kickoff.  The alma mater is bad music with godawful lyrics, written in an unremarkable time in music history.  Personally i think some Johnny Cash songs would be better, on tape, no band.  Its not a knock on the school, the state, or you. 

As far as putting goid looking trim on the field instead of a dumptruck, i believe any recruit of any stars has in his mind that he is going to play ball, and get laid.  The school is like any southern school; it is highly populated with hot womens.  Round some up and stick a flag or baton in their hand.
What about the Star Spangled Banner.  That was written before Rock and Roll and may also be a little tired. :stache:

Offline Pig

• Wild Hog
  • BLT's are so darn tasty!
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2012, 07:54:27 PM »
Have never heard an alma mater that was any good.   Ours sucks completely.
The National Anthem was as beautiful as ever - really liked the arrangement, made me cry.

Offline JoeBobHog

• Git to fuckin'.
  • King of the Hogs
  • your wife's puthy tastes like sweet butter.
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2012, 08:12:28 PM »

I will give you all the foot-stompin', hand-clappin', screamin', whistlin', standin' and yellin' my 52 year old fat ass can muster to any hip hop, rap, heavy metal or whatever you want you want to throw out there.  and I will give it to you for 60 minutes.

I want the crowd to act like their fuckin' hair is on fire too.

but please let me have my 2 minutes before the team comes out on the field in exchange.  I know our Alma Mater is sad and weepy, but it is MY Alma Mater.

Irvin: BWAAHAHAHA! (yelling) Aw mane!  Deion, scrin scranton!  BWAAHAHAHA!  Got to grisna!  Like T.O.!  BWAAHAHAHA!
Sanders: BWAAHAHAHA!
Marino: OK, well like we were saying before, McNair will display the toughness and show the kind of heart that...
Irvin: BWAAAHAHAHA! (yelling) You know I scrilleous crate!  Grab a pen in traven!  BWAAAHAHAHA!  Sh*t!  Now I'm say!  Aw mane!
Sanders: HA HA!  Crenious shanta!  BWAAAHAHAHA!
Marino: What?
Irvin: BWAAAHAHAHA! (pushes Sanders in shoulder, falls backward out of chair)
Sanders:  Aw mane!
Irvin: (from ground)  BWAAAHAHAHA!

H.P. 4/27/04

Offline Dr. HawgLove

• That's Dr. Merkwerdichliebe to you
  • Tush Hog
  • Just look at the big board.
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2012, 08:28:03 PM »
I had a slutty 7th grade science teacher who had been a majorette at UA in the 70s.  On days that it was all just too much and she'd take a half a valium, she'd get really relaxed  in class and start talking about various things that were borderline sexual or just plain strange.

One day, I remember her talking about how in the 70s, the majorettes all had to weigh-in at the start of the season.  Each game, they had to weigh before taking part in the band for that game.  If they were ever more than 3 lbs heavier than their "game weight" they were held out.  They made a point to enforce the weight guidelines so our girls would all look sexy on tv.

America was better back then, when we expected more of our wimmens.  Sure, maybe we lost a few to anorexia and a few to bulimia, but on the whole, we were all better off as football fans.  Totally worth it.

They were doing this when i was there in '87
"God willing, we will prevail, in peace and freedom from fear, and in true health, through the purity and essence of our natural fluids."

"I think you're some kind of deviated prevert. I think general Ripper found out about your prevertion, and you were organizing some kind of mutiny of preverts."

"she's shitting quite a tail, there......."

WOOPIG.NET   © 2014  Jackson Technologies

Page created in 0.309 seconds with 20 queries.