Welcome, Guest! Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: the band  (Read 10570 times)

Offline Arkansas Proud

• Admins be changing my title daily
  • King of the Hogs
  • The better half
Re: the band
« Reply #100 on: January 10, 2012, 01:02:50 PM »
Good.  I thought I was a douche for knowing the right answer

Don't sell yourself short.
"I completely agree." -- Stephen Coalboar on August 22, 2014 at 11:39 a.m.

Online Satriale

• [expletive deleted]
  • Tush Hog
« Reply #101 on: January 10, 2012, 07:04:35 PM »
If you are a music major and you want the maximum music scholarship at the UA you have to be in marching band.

Exactly the problem.  Put them in the pit if they want to contribute there; offer them a different performing group in the fall if they don't.  Good musicians in a wind ensemble can be an impressive thing, but not on the football field.

Definitely back in the day.  If Ron Huery bangs your girlfriend recently, that is not cool. 

Offline ocelot_ark

• Boar
« Reply #102 on: January 10, 2012, 11:25:05 PM »
Exactly the problem.  Put them in the pit if they want to contribute there; offer them a different performing group in the fall if they don't.  Good musicians in a wind ensemble can be an impressive thing, but not on the football field.

Obviously, only bad musicians should march.

Online Satriale

• [expletive deleted]
  • Tush Hog
« Reply #103 on: January 11, 2012, 07:50:53 AM »
Obviously, only bad musicians should march.

To clarify, I'm only saying that woodwind players should have a different performing group as an option to keep their scholarship.
Definitely back in the day.  If Ron Huery bangs your girlfriend recently, that is not cool. 

Offline Tanny Bogus

• Haunting Wickes since the mid-50's
  • Boar
  • Longtime Fan of Randolph Mantooth
« Reply #104 on: January 11, 2012, 08:59:24 AM »
Gladiatorial combat between death row inmates until one is left.  Then release a pack of wild boars to finish him off.  Band plays their Journey song while the bodies are being removed.  Brought to you by Petit Jean Meats. 

Offline gambler

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #105 on: January 11, 2012, 11:06:13 AM »
Gladiatorial combat between death row inmates until one is left.  Then release a pack of wild boars to finish him off.  Band plays their Journey song while the bodies are being removed.  Brought to you by Petit Jean Meats.
I'm there.

Offline ocelot_ark

• Boar
« Reply #106 on: January 11, 2012, 11:25:17 AM »

Allllllsum.

Offline ocelot_ark

• Boar
« Reply #107 on: January 11, 2012, 11:28:11 AM »
To clarify, I'm only saying that woodwind players should have a different performing group as an option to keep their scholarship.

Yeah, yeah. I know what you meant.

I still think they'd be better served to just eliminate the marching band requirement from scholarships, limit the band to 250 with only brass and percussion, increase remaining band scholarships, and maybe give more than 1 hour of credit per semester.  I think making the whole thing more selective/competitive would do nothing but good.  Ohio State's band wasn't nearly as big as ours in the Sugar Bowl, but they were a lot better at what they do. 

Online Law_Hawg

• Placidly murderous giant
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #108 on: January 11, 2012, 12:54:39 PM »

Wow, and I was holding out for midget wrasslin' or clunker car halftime.

Caedite eos! Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.

Offline Phat_Hawg

• Has pulled more tail than a slow kid at a petting zoo
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #109 on: January 11, 2012, 01:04:54 PM »

I still think they'd be better served to just eliminate the marching band requirement from scholarships, limit the band to 250 with only brass and percussion, increase remaining band scholarships, and maybe give more than 1 hour of credit per semester.  I think making the whole thing more selective/competitive would do nothing but good.  Ohio State's band wasn't nearly as big as ours in the Sugar Bowl, but they were a lot better at what they do.

As the father of a very good woodwind player I support this idea 100%.  My daughter would like to play in college but has no desire to be in college marching band nor do I want her to be in marching band, that stuff takes up way too much time, so she will only have access to a small scholarship.  Admittedly anything is better than nothing but $5000 would be a lot nicer to get than $200.
Homies help homes.......always

Offline razorbackaaron

• Tush Hog
  • Lacy and Jenna Coburn's Daddy
« Reply #110 on: January 11, 2012, 02:02:43 PM »
Do all music majors aspire to teach band/music?  What other reasons are there to major in music?
I discovered Leo Propst.  � on: November 17, 2007, 10:20:38 PM �

Offline shortstop6

• Cooled-Out Buddhist Cowboy
  • Administrator
  • Boar
  • Lathed from solid envy, thick with menace.
« Reply #111 on: January 11, 2012, 02:08:25 PM »
limit the band to 250 with only brass and percussion,

My brother played clarinet (NTTAWT) in the Razorback Marching Band.  Made it through his entire senior year without playing a single note  - not rehearsal, not at pep rallys, not at games.  He doesn't think he was missed.
I'm an outdoorsman.  I like getting drunk on patios.

Offline ocelot_ark

• Boar
« Reply #112 on: January 11, 2012, 02:11:57 PM »
Do all music majors aspire to teach band/music?  What other reasons are there to major in music?

I started off a music major, but I wanted to play in one of the "big time" orchestras.  Give me a break, I was 18.  Once I realized I didn't want to be a band director, I quickly changed career paths.  But yes, there are PLENTY of music performance majors. 

Offline ocelot_ark

• Boar
« Reply #113 on: January 11, 2012, 02:12:47 PM »
My brother played clarinet (NTTAWT) in the Razorback Marching Band.  Made it through his entire senior year without playing a single note  - not rehearsal, not at pep rallys, not at games.  He doesn't think he was missed.

Sounds about right.

Offline Clark

• Putting my Kools out on your floor.
  • King of the Hogs
  • UPGRAYEDD. Two D's for a double dose of pimpin'.
« Reply #114 on: January 11, 2012, 02:56:54 PM »
The iconic 'alien' is to us what we are to apes: small, pale, big headed, and with unfathomable technology. We even abduct them for medical experiments. Mind blown.
--Rage

Offline cooter

• Boar
« Reply #115 on: January 11, 2012, 03:03:19 PM »
As the father of a very good woodwind player I support this idea 100%.  My daughter would like to play in college but has no desire to be in college marching band nor do I want her to be in marching band, that stuff takes up way too much time, so she will only have access to a small scholarship.  Admittedly anything is better than nothing but $5000 would be a lot nicer to get than $200.

Well, she had better buy some walking shoes.  No way I could pass up that big a scholarship.  There should be an alternative though, no wonder our marching band sucks, the kids don't want to be there.  Do we not have some sort of performing orchestra they could be a part of?  Mandatory concerts once or twice a month on weekends in Fayetteville would be tits.  Give the students tokens to go to the performance just like they do sports.  It would be nice to have a live orchestra, if we don't already have one.

Online HogofWar

• Boar
  • Tits Out, Captain.
« Reply #116 on: January 11, 2012, 03:21:44 PM »
Well, she had better buy some walking shoes.  No way I could pass up that big a scholarship.  There should be an alternative though, no wonder our marching band sucks, the kids don't want to be there.  Do we not have some sort of performing orchestra they could be a part of?  Mandatory concerts once or twice a month on weekends in Fayetteville would be tits.  Give the students tokens to go to the performance just like they do sports.  It would be nice to have a live orchestra, if we don't already have one.

We used to, I think.  I know we had one under W Dale Warren that played at graduations.

Offline ocelot_ark

• Boar
« Reply #117 on: January 11, 2012, 04:00:38 PM »
We have 4 "concert bands." Wind Symphony, Symphonic Band, Concert Band, Campus Band. 

http://bands.uark.edu/Band/Concert_Bands.html

The four University of Arkansas concert bands each consist of 60-70 musicians. Each ensemble is held to the highest standard of performance. Feel free to visit the individual ensemble pages for more specific details.

You can get a music scholarship and NOT have to march (vocalists, pianists, strings, etc).  You could PROBABLY get one as a "band" instrument person, too, just not as much as you would by marching?  Heck, I don't know.  I was just excited to get my school paid for to care all that much.  The majorettes were hot.

Offline Sus-Scrofa

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #118 on: January 11, 2012, 04:14:36 PM »
You look at LSU Golden whores then look at the cattle in our band and you just want to cry.

I think you have to make a choice, the A team can be way down on the field doing the flag routine at football games or they can be doing the halftime shows at the basketball games.  If this was a choice that had to be made, the U of A made the right one.

Offline Phat_Hawg

• Has pulled more tail than a slow kid at a petting zoo
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #119 on: January 11, 2012, 04:54:26 PM »
We have 4 "concert bands." Wind Symphony, Symphonic Band, Concert Band, Campus Band. 

You can get a music scholarship and NOT have to march (vocalists, pianists, strings, etc).  You could PROBABLY get one as a "band" instrument person, too, just not as much as you would by marching?  Heck, I don't know.  I was just excited to get my school paid for to care all that much.  The majorettes were hot.

If you want the max scholarship you have to be in marching band.  If you're a pianist, string, etc you go into the pit. 
Homies help homes.......always

Offline Too Big Pig

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #120 on: January 11, 2012, 04:55:56 PM »
So much misinformation in this thread. 

There is a UofA Orchestra.

Not all music majors are in marching band, some of them that are in the top performing ensembles can opt out of it.  Usually scholarship requirements for majors have a large ensemble and a small ensemble clause per semester.  Non major scholarships vary from school to school. 

The irony is for the most part music scholarships exist for the desire to have a bigger band to please the crowd.  Like it or not, without football music scholarships would be drastically reduced.  Choir and orchestra scholarships are there pretty much because the marching band exists and the music department has to be fair and equitable, but in no other department besides athletics does the scholarship money flow so freely.  Why, because the original desire of schools to outdo each other at halftime.  That's where it all began.

Some kids love marching and can't play.  Some kids hate marching because they feel it's beneath their level.  Some just like being a part of an organization.  There's all types.

Those that are saying go "DCI" that's what they have done except keep the woodwinds in.  Go "DCI" and you will have an equal number of male and female colorguard members.  You are also going to have one show that is so musically over people's heads that they don't care (even more that they don't care now).

I tell all people who are going to music majors that you better have some desire to teach and get that ed degree because the other isn't going to pay the bills.  A very limited number of performance or composition majors ever make a living off of performing or composing music.  They have day jobs.  You can play with a music ed degree but you can do nothing put play and flip burgers with that performance degree.

Why did I just waste 5 minutes of my life typing this?  I have no idea.

Offline songofthesword

• A Shoat
  • woopig.net
« Reply #121 on: January 11, 2012, 07:55:44 PM »

t his video is worth watching just to see the girl in the red. she is getting down lol

this was tight as Starkville

Offline razorbrass

• A Shoat
« Reply #122 on: January 11, 2012, 08:10:31 PM »
To be poor and unemployed

Offline uagrad89

• Boar
« Reply #123 on: January 11, 2012, 08:15:57 PM »

Even better than the A&M band right there.

Offline uagrad89

• Boar
« Reply #124 on: January 11, 2012, 08:17:39 PM »

Imagine if all of them did that on the same day.  That would be awesome.

WOOPIG.NET   © 2014  Jackson Technologies

Page created in 0.326 seconds with 20 queries.