Welcome, Guest! Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: the band  (Read 10188 times)

Offline shortstop6

• Cooled-Out Buddhist Cowboy
  • Administrator
  • Boar
  • Lathed from solid envy, thick with menace.
Re: the band
« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2012, 12:30:33 PM »

And, like I said, A&M does the same show every year for every game.  THE HORROR!

You have many valid observations about the state and direction of the Razorback band, but you are dead wrong about the Aggies.

Dale Warren's responsible for dropping the "WE'RE GONNA BEAT THE Starkville OUT OF YOU!!!" from the over-played Rock 'N' Roll, Pt. 2 adaptation that still, inexplicably, hasn't made it's way back.  He was also the director when that band CD came out with the awhooo hog call on it.  So whatever good Warren may have done has been far outweighed by those two stains on Razorback fandom.

Game presentation at RRS this year was much improved, but the Razorback Band remains a huge drag on modernizing the game experience.  ArkGuy summarized it very well: It's a complete lack of imagination.  Sure, Seven nation Army came out about 8 years ago, but that's still in infancy by Razorback Band standards. 

Hey, Baby.  AYFSM?  That song was a retread when the band picked it up after that fricking Dirty Dancing movie came out 25 years ago.  But, THEY'RE STILL PLAYING IT. 

That NFL Today Theme was discontinued by CBS 25+ years ago, but the Razorback Band STILL PLAYS IT.  They play William Tell at the same point in every game instead of using it to rev up the crowd in key moments the way Robken did. 

They do that bit with the 2001 theme and the Arkansas flag at the start of every fourth quarter.

These are not traditions.  These are evidence of laziness in leadership.

If you're going to beat me down with the same old aMm, just play Rocky and move the frick on.

Predictable and boring.  And that "percussion pit" bullshit on the sidelines is high school all the way.  They need to knock that aMm off - sharpish.
I'm an outdoorsman.  I like getting drunk on patios.

Offline hogfan58

• Bret Bielema, cheese curds and frozen custard...you betcha!!
  • Boar
« Reply #51 on: January 09, 2012, 12:46:16 PM »
This is what band gekes don't get. People in the stands don't care about the difficulty of the music or the marching, they just want to be able to hear the music and be entertained. A&M's style of marching may BE easy, but it looks hard, looks cool and is visually awesome. Ours looks like a 3 year old drew it up and could do it. The music we play may be difficult to play, but if half the stadium can't hear it, then who cares? We might have the best flute players in the world, but how does that translate to a marching band? A BIGGER band doesn't mean it's a BETTER band.

The Rice MOB isn't for everybody, but they are funny, and they are entertaining. Personally, I'd rather have that than our stale old crap.

But...if I were running the band program, I'd go all in for the SWAC style. Now THAT'S entertainment!
I'm asking you as fans, don't give up on those players, don't give up on us, it's our program, it's the state of Alabama program...it's not one individuals program, so hang in there...

Offline ocelot_ark

• Boar
« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2012, 01:00:47 PM »
Drum and bugle corps.  That is what we need.  350 strong.  That would fricking rock the house.  None of those puthy little wind things that don't make any good sound.  Just loud and fired up.

I think 350 would be too big to look cool.  Part of DCI's lure, to me, is that there's so much movement going on.  Ohio State last year was probably about 200 kids and they were awesome. 

For those that don't know what the frick we're talking about, this is from the 2011 DCI World Championships.  Obviously you could erase the theatrics that these guys use (lots of props/costumes/etc, because it's truly a show).  Fast forward to 9:58 or so and watch til the end.

You give me a college band that would do THAT kind of stuff. 

Offline ocelot_ark

• Boar
« Reply #53 on: January 09, 2012, 01:11:33 PM »
You have many valid observations about the state and direction of the Razorback band, but you are dead wrong about the Aggies.

You're right.  I was mistaken about that.  Though, even with that said, it's still easy as frick to march military style.  Starkville, their steps alone make it easier. 

This is what band gekes don't get. People in the stands don't care about the difficulty of the music or the marching, they just want to be able to hear the music and be entertained. A&M's style of marching may BE easy, but it looks hard, looks cool and is visually awesome. Ours looks like a 3 year old drew it up and could do it. The music we play may be difficult to play, but if half the stadium can't hear it, then who cares? We might have the best flute players in the world, but how does that translate to a marching band? A BIGGER band doesn't mean it's a BETTER band.

The Rice MOB isn't for everybody, but they are funny, and they are entertaining. Personally, I'd rather have that than our stale old crap.

But...if I were running the band program, I'd go all in for the SWAC style. Now THAT'S entertainment!

You're cool.  Band gekes.  That's a nice way to increase support! Make fun of them!

But I digress.  You have a point.  I was one of very, very few high school band kids that wasn't a "nerd."  We had maybe 5 or 6 "jocks" in my school.  I was one of them.  The U of A band, when I was there, had a surprising number of athletes.  The problem is, those are the business majors that are going on to do things in the "real world."  The people who grow up and become band directors are more of the purists.  They don't know much about football.  Or basketball.  They just follow the status quo. 

That's why I say it'll take a visionary and lots of support from the music/athletic departments for anything to ever change.  Otherwise, just realize that the Razorback band, like 99% of bands in the country (high school and college) is a corps style band.  It'll probably never change to a military style band.  So you might as well shut the frick up about it.  The most drastic change they could possibly make would be a changeover to DCI style.  DCI is very well respected.  Military is kinda frowned upon by those purists, as far as I know at least. 

I also wonder how many of the bands few supporters would be pissed if anything ever changed or if traditions were altered.  Maybe one of you high rollers can offer up a bounty for some change.  frick. I don't know. 

This is why these threads are always so pointless.  Nothing's ever going to change.  Or, at least, we won't be the first to do it.  Someone like Ole Miss will just say frick it one of these days and go DCI.  Everyone will love it and we'll follow suit 10 years later. 

Offline wmr

• Locally Grown, 100% Organic
  • King of the Hogs
  • (.) (.)
« Reply #54 on: January 09, 2012, 01:25:33 PM »
Nobody cares about the nuance of band music.  The band is playing in an open-air stadium with 76k people in it.  Any subtlety you hope to convey is going to be wasted. 

I think our band could scrap most of the winds section and nobody would care or notice.

The really memorable fight songs are very heavy on trumpet/trombone and they blast that aMm at you.  Unless you are sitting within 50 feet of the band, you can't hear anything but the horns anyway.

My main problem with our band, though, is its lack of originality.  We play Darth Vader.  We play the most generic 1st down fanfare available.  We don't do anything remotely original or unique.  Not a single fricking thing apart from the fight song.  It doesn't have to be something complicated.

Even South Carolina has band cheers that are uniquely theirs.

I wish we had someone in charge who could do something that simple.
LSU fans are tres gauche.

Offline Dr. HawgLove

• That's Dr. Merkwerdichliebe to you
  • Tush Hog
  • Just look at the big board.
« Reply #55 on: January 09, 2012, 01:26:41 PM »
You're right.  I was mistaken about that.  Though, even with that said, it's still easy as frick to march military style.  Starkville, their steps alone make it easier. 

You're cool.  Band gekes.  That's a nice way to increase support! Make fun of them!

But I digress.  You have a point.  I was one of very, very few high school band kids that wasn't a "nerd."  We had maybe 5 or 6 "jocks" in my school.  I was one of them.  The U of A band, when I was there, had a surprising number of athletes.  The problem is, those are the business majors that are going on to do things in the "real world."  The people who grow up and become band directors are more of the purists.  They don't know much about football.  Or basketball.  They just follow the status quo. 

That's why I say it'll take a visionary and lots of support from the music/athletic departments for anything to ever change.  Otherwise, just realize that the Razorback band, like 99% of bands in the country (high school and college) is a corps style band.  It'll probably never change to a military style band.  So you might as well shut the frick up about it.  The most drastic change they could possibly make would be a changeover to DCI style.  DCI is very well respected.  Military is kinda frowned upon by those purists, as far as I know at least. 

I also wonder how many of the bands few supporters would be pissed if anything ever changed or if traditions were altered.  Maybe one of you high rollers can offer up a bounty for some change.  frick. I don't know. 

This is why these threads are always so pointless.  Nothing's ever going to change.  Or, at least, we won't be the first to do it.  Someone like Ole Miss will just say frick it one of these days and go DCI.  Everyone will love it and we'll follow suit 10 years later.

Did you just rinse it out and pass it to the next guy?
"God willing, we will prevail, in peace and freedom from fear, and in true health, through the purity and essence of our natural fluids."

"I think you're some kind of deviated prevert. I think general Ripper found out about your prevertion, and you were organizing some kind of mutiny of preverts."

"she's shitting quite a tail, there......."

Offline wmr

• King of the Hogs
  • (.) (.)
« Reply #56 on: January 09, 2012, 01:27:43 PM »
And everybody knows who this is without looking:

Offline wmr

• King of the Hogs
  • (.) (.)
« Reply #57 on: January 09, 2012, 01:31:13 PM »
And this: 

Offline wmr

• King of the Hogs
  • (.) (.)
« Reply #58 on: January 09, 2012, 01:32:42 PM »
Another one that is great:

Offline ocelot_ark

• Boar
« Reply #59 on: January 09, 2012, 02:07:59 PM »
Did you just rinse it out and pass it to the next guy?

Hey-O!  :shocker:

Offline Clark

• Putting my Kools out on your floor.
  • King of the Hogs
  • UPGRAYEDD. Two D's for a double dose of pimpin'.
« Reply #60 on: January 09, 2012, 03:06:26 PM »
Wisconsin. Do that.
The iconic 'alien' is to us what we are to apes: small, pale, big headed, and with unfathomable technology. We even abduct them for medical experiments. Mind blown.
--Rage

Offline authorhawgerelli

• Superer Mod
  • Administrator
  • A Shoat
« Reply #61 on: January 09, 2012, 03:17:32 PM »
Wisconsin. Do that.
Wisconsin has the second greatest fight song of all time (second to the Razorback fight song of course).

Offline Law_Hawg

• Placidly murderous giant
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #62 on: January 09, 2012, 03:21:34 PM »

Why is the word "trod" in the alma mater?

I mean, I know the alma mater is tradition and all, but it's like they took some lyrics, and some music, and then just put them together without trying to match either of them up.

Caedite eos! Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.

Online ArkGuy

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #63 on: January 09, 2012, 03:39:12 PM »
Wait, now, don't be messing with my alma mater.  I can mouth almost all the words.  Don't make me start over.  And I'm old enough to remember when the alma mater wasn't played 3 hours before tip-off, like it is now, but was right after the national anthem and right before the player introductions.

Hey, Friday night during the alma mater at Jerry World, one of my brood - just three weeks removed from the UA's first winter graduation in a long time - asked me, "hey, which way is Old Main from here?"  In retrospect, I think I pointed to what is roughly Denver.
"As the leader of all illegal activities in Casablanca, I am an influential and respected man."

Offline Sus-Scrofa

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #64 on: January 09, 2012, 04:05:10 PM »
Wait, now, don't be messing with my alma mater.  I can mouth almost all the words.  Don't make me start over.  And I'm old enough to remember when the alma mater wasn't played 3 hours before tip-off, like it is now, but was right after the national anthem and right before the player introductions.

Hey, Friday night during the alma mater at Jerry World, one of my brood - just three weeks removed from the UA's first winter graduation in a long time - asked me, "hey, which way is Old Main from here?"  In retrospect, I think I pointed to what is roughly Denver.

Mumbling through it, saying the last line, and pointing to wherever I think Old Main is at is one tradition I would never give up lightly.

Offline hogfan58

• Bret Bielema, cheese curds and frozen custard...you betcha!!
  • Boar
« Reply #65 on: January 09, 2012, 06:00:23 PM »
Mumbling through it, saying the last line, and pointing to wherever I think Old Main is at is one tradition I would never give up lightly.

I've been meaning to ask someone when this "tradition" started? I don't recall doing it or seeing it when I was in school in 76-81. I ask because everyone seems to act like it's been done forever...and I'm afraid if students keep doing that damn wolf howl before the hog call, before you know it, everyone will think that's the way it's always been done as well and will become "tradition" too.
I'm asking you as fans, don't give up on those players, don't give up on us, it's our program, it's the state of Alabama program...it's not one individuals program, so hang in there...

Offline Humphrey BOARgart

• Boar
« Reply #66 on: January 09, 2012, 06:04:11 PM »
The Last Waltz is currently on VH1 Classic.

Offline wmr

• King of the Hogs
  • (.) (.)
« Reply #67 on: January 09, 2012, 06:25:21 PM »
I've been meaning to ask someone when this "tradition" started? I don't recall doing it or seeing it when I was in school in 76-81. I ask because everyone seems to act like it's been done forever...and I'm afraid if students keep doing that damn wolf howl before the hog call, before you know it, everyone will think that's the way it's always been done as well and will become "tradition" too.

We were pointing at Old Main in 1996, although for the longest time I thought we were just pointing to the sky.

Offline HogofWar

• Boar
  • Tits Out, Captain.
« Reply #68 on: January 09, 2012, 06:32:47 PM »
We were pointing at Old Main in 1996, although for the longest time I thought we were just pointing to the sky.

I thought he were pointing to the West side stands, because that is where I thought parents set, and we were pointing to our mothers.

Offline WPFM

• Administrator
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #69 on: January 09, 2012, 06:58:19 PM »
All I know is, aMm like THIS is entertaining, and the crap our band does isn't.

And don't give me any "well yeah, but they're all black" excuses, either.  If somebody can shove Tommy Lee in a cage and spin him upside down for entertainment, somebody can surely come up with a way to get our pudgy white hillbillies to get creative with OUR drums and other instruments, too.

Ya'll ever tried to suck a dick for 20 minutes?  It isn't easy.

Offline Tanny Bogus

• Haunting Wickes since the mid-50's
  • Boar
  • Longtime Fan of Randolph Mantooth
« Reply #70 on: January 09, 2012, 07:06:58 PM »
the half-time spelling of Go Hogs is awful.  I hate it more than anything.
"I can't hear you!!"

You know that guy can hear us.

Offline subliznime

• Don't tread on me!
  • Boar
  • We are the like
« Reply #71 on: January 09, 2012, 07:22:04 PM »
frick you Robbie Robertson!
Im convinced they wouldve have been better without him! frick HIM indeed! The driving force in that band is the voice of Levon Helm.
“An intellectual is a person who has discovered something more interesting than sex.”
― Aldous Huxley

Offline subliznime

• Don't tread on me!
  • Boar
  • We are the like
« Reply #72 on: January 09, 2012, 07:52:24 PM »

Have always been a big fan of the goin' band from raider land. 400+

Ps
Still cannot figure out how to import a youtubes to a reply on my iphone.

thats right the women are smarter than men!!!
“An intellectual is a person who has discovered something more interesting than sex.”
― Aldous Huxley

Offline Too Big Pig

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #73 on: January 09, 2012, 08:23:01 PM »

Have always been a big fan of the goin' band from raider land. 400+

Ps
Still cannot figure out how to import a youtubes to a reply on my iphone.

thats right the women are smarter than men!!!

Really?  That's the same crap everybody is complaining about here.  Way easy drill.  Gustav Holst's "The Planets." That will really fire some people up.  I guess you are impressed by the size (not that there's anything wrong with that).

Offline Hogtired

• Boar
« Reply #74 on: January 09, 2012, 08:35:46 PM »
Ocelot_ark aside, It's the Frickin' band!!! Who cares except band geeks and fat chicks who wouldn't have gotten into college any other way?

I know someone will get all bowed up over this but again, WHO CARES? Who among us goes to a game to see the band over the game? I never read on the woopigs that we lost the halftime show or claims of the tuba player has speed to burn. Again, I DON'T CARE.

I enjoy the band but consider them the malt and hops to the half time beer.  Afterall, IT'S THE FRICKIN BAND!
AYFSM?

WOOPIG.NET   © 2014  Jackson Technologies

Page created in 0.302 seconds with 20 queries.