Welcome, Guest! Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: the band  (Read 10104 times)

Offline ocelot_ark

• Boar
Re: the band
« Reply #75 on: January 09, 2012, 08:48:04 PM »
As evidenced by the sizable number of people who responded to this thread, I'm not even close to the only one who cares evidently. 

And one of the reasons I care is because I want our school to be the best at everything.  "oh man, their football team is awesome.  Damn. We're down 30 at halftime...holy aMm, that's a badass band, too.  Lucky bastards."

Offline Hogtired

• Boar
« Reply #76 on: January 09, 2012, 08:50:02 PM »
If the U wanted a badass band they'd recruit with UAPB. That aMm would be rockin!
AYFSM?

Offline Too Big Pig

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #77 on: January 09, 2012, 08:53:47 PM »
More chair dancers.  That's what we need.

Offline Hackfuck McDouche

• With a name like Hackfuck, it has to be Good
  • King of the Hogs
  • Can I have YOUR vote? And a hot dog?
« Reply #78 on: January 09, 2012, 09:02:07 PM »
The "End of football season = creation of dipshit threads" trend is off to a running start this year.

Offline uagrad89

• Boar
« Reply #79 on: January 09, 2012, 09:21:04 PM »
the half-time spelling of Go Hogs is awful.  I hate it more than anything.

ONE MORE TIME!!!

I agree.  I hate this thing.  It's the epitome of corniness.  The only reason to watch is to hope for a misspelling.  At one game I attended they accidentally shouted out the letters to spell "Go Gogs!"

When the half is coming up, my wife always says "I wonder what this show will be.  A medley of Toto B-sides?" or something similar.  Unfortunately, it's usually worse than that.

Offline Humphrey BOARgart

• Boar
« Reply #80 on: January 09, 2012, 09:22:12 PM »

Offline cooter

• Boar
« Reply #81 on: January 09, 2012, 10:15:23 PM »
You're right.  I was mistaken about that.  Though, even with that said, it's still easy as frick to march military style.  Starkville, their steps alone make it easier. 

You're cool.  Band gekes.  That's a nice way to increase support! Make fun of them!

But I digress.  You have a point.  I was one of very, very few high school band kids that wasn't a "nerd."  We had maybe 5 or 6 "jocks" in my school.  I was one of them.  The U of A band, when I was there, had a surprising number of athletes.  The problem is, those are the business majors that are going on to do things in the "real world."  The people who grow up and become band directors are more of the purists.  They don't know much about football.  Or basketball.  They just follow the status quo. 

That's why I say it'll take a visionary and lots of support from the music/athletic departments for anything to ever change.  Otherwise, just realize that the Razorback band, like 99% of bands in the country (high school and college) is a corps style band.  It'll probably never change to a military style band.  So you might as well shut the frick up about it.  The most drastic change they could possibly make would be a changeover to DCI style.  DCI is very well respected.  Military is kinda frowned upon by those purists, as far as I know at least. 

I also wonder how many of the bands few supporters would be pissed if anything ever changed or if traditions were altered.  Maybe one of you high rollers can offer up a bounty for some change.  frick. I don't know. 
is is why these threads are always so pointless.  Nothing's ever going to change.  Or, at least, we won't be the first to do it.  Someone like Ole Miss will just say frick it one of these days and go DCI.  Everyone will love it and we'll follow suit 10 years later.

You had 5 or 6 jocks and you were one of them?  5 or 6?....5 or 6?  WTF were you 5 or 6 jocks at? Golf?  You damn sure didn't have enough to form a team.

It's band.  Band.  We are talking about Band here.  I appreciate that musicians have a chance to get a scholarship but you could replace our halftime show with midget wrestling and it would be an improvement.

Offline uagrad89

• Boar
« Reply #82 on: January 09, 2012, 10:39:53 PM »
...you could replace our halftime show with midget wrestling and it would be an improvement.

And it wouldn't even have to be nude midget wrestling.  Just the regular kind would be fine.

Offline Arkansas Proud

• Admins be changing my title daily
  • King of the Hogs
  • The better half
« Reply #83 on: January 09, 2012, 10:54:15 PM »
One of our former Admins went to DePauw. And he coined 'Grit' and lots of other things many of you use in your Woopig conversations.

Tusk? or Shotter?

Wondered if they knew they'd have a restaurant named after them many years later.
"I completely agree." -- Stephen Coalboar on August 22, 2014 at 11:39 a.m.

Offline Clark

• Putting my Kools out on your floor.
  • King of the Hogs
  • UPGRAYEDD. Two D's for a double dose of pimpin'.
« Reply #84 on: January 09, 2012, 10:57:31 PM »
Tusk? or Shotter?

Wondered if they knew they'd have a restaurant named after them many years later.
Yes.
The iconic 'alien' is to us what we are to apes: small, pale, big headed, and with unfathomable technology. We even abduct them for medical experiments. Mind blown.
--Rage

Online Jostlyn McCocksack

• Suck my cock I'll murder your family!!!-jacki mhoon
  • King of the Hogs
  • PWNED.
« Reply #85 on: January 09, 2012, 11:08:28 PM »
Tusk? or Shotter?

Rage
"Coaches who listen to fans often end up sitting with them."
Bobby Knight

Offline Clark

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #86 on: January 09, 2012, 11:11:39 PM »
The iconic 'alien' is to us what we are to apes: small, pale, big headed, and with unfathomable technology. We even abduct them for medical experiments. Mind blown.
--Rage

Online Jostlyn McCocksack

• Suck my cock I'll murder your family!!!-jacki mhoon
  • King of the Hogs
  • PWNED.
« Reply #87 on: January 09, 2012, 11:25:28 PM »
No.

Good.  I thought I was a douche for knowing the right answer
"Coaches who listen to fans often end up sitting with them."
Bobby Knight

Offline Big Sausage Pizza

• Bow Chicka Wow Wow
  • A Shoat
  • b00bs > n00bs
« Reply #88 on: January 09, 2012, 11:45:25 PM »
The Last Waltz is currently on VH1 Classic.

Damn fine movie, just frickin' over the top with some great musicians.

As for the marching band, I don't really give a chit either way.  For me, the nachos and or hot dogs are more important than the marching band. 

Online HogofWar

• Boar
  • Tits Out, Captain.
« Reply #89 on: January 09, 2012, 11:49:20 PM »
ONE MORE TIME!!!

I agree.  I hate this thing.  It's the epitome of corniness.  The only reason to watch is to hope for a misspelling.  At one game I attended they accidentally shouted out the letters to spell "Go Gogs!"

I remember that game. That was hellarious, when that happened.  I think it was 1999. Good times. :beer:

Offline clintcommander

• Take it easy... and if its easy, take it twice!
  • Tush Hog
« Reply #90 on: January 10, 2012, 12:01:13 AM »
I'm a K K Psi
I don't know why
The band sucks
And so do I

You serious Clark?
If we win, I'll light my dick on fire and slam my balls in a door on youtube, with a smile on my face.

Offline HogJam

• Boar
« Reply #91 on: January 10, 2012, 01:05:09 AM »
Solution:

1. Pick ANY Big Ten band.

2. Emulate them.

The majority of our fans probably are happy with their $14,000 per year job, a "good Christian" coaching the hogs, and Hee Haw on Saturday nights.....

Offline Clark

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #92 on: January 10, 2012, 03:33:57 AM »
You serious Clark?
No.

It was what we made pledges say if they were in the band during Starkville week. We had a couple. Great guys.
--Rage

Offline UAClassof81

• Boar
  • Squeeze my lemon.....
« Reply #93 on: January 10, 2012, 07:50:35 AM »
Im convinced they wouldve have been better without him! frick HIM indeed! The driving force in that band is the voice of Levon Helm.

I went to a LH Midnight Ramble back in October at his Woodstock studio.  Sadly, that voice is gone........he does very little singing and what he does do ain't pretty.  But, he still puts on a great show and has a lot of energy.  I guess when you beat throat cancer and nearly 20 radiation treatments, you have something to be happy for. 

Offline Satriale

• [expletive deleted]
  • Tush Hog
« Reply #94 on: January 10, 2012, 08:04:44 AM »
I think 350 would be too big to look cool.  Part of DCI's lure, to me, is that there's so much movement going on.  Ohio State last year was probably about 200 kids and they were awesome. 

For those that don't know what the frick we're talking about, this is from the 2011 DCI World Championships.  Obviously you could erase the theatrics that these guys use (lots of props/costumes/etc, because it's truly a show).  Fast forward to 9:58 or so and watch til the end.

You give me a college band that would do THAT kind of stuff.

To be fair, college bands CANNOT compete with this level performance.  Kids is DCI (usually marching with a college band in the fall) put in hundreds of hours of practice on ONE performance to get it ready for the finals in August.  Also, any decent drum corps has highly competitive tryouts to make the corps.  There can't be more than twenty kids marching for the U of A that could have made the roster for a top five corps this year.  .. and fat flag girls need not apply.

Almost all college bands require ALL members of the band to march.  Clarinet player that couldn't make the flag-line?  Doesn't matter that nobody is going to hear you - we need the bodies on the field.  Add that every school with a football team has a marching band with 50 to 500 kids.  Top it off with the fact that the U of A may not be one of the three best music schools in Arkansas, and talent get pretty diluted.

That said, the current band director shows little originality and no understanding of what gets a crowd pumped up.  More drum-heavy tunes from the last decade coming from the stands would be a good start.

Definitely back in the day.  If Ron Huery bangs your girlfriend recently, that is not cool. 

Offline ocelot_ark

• Boar
« Reply #95 on: January 10, 2012, 08:32:02 AM »
You had 5 or 6 jocks and you were one of them?  5 or 6?....5 or 6?  WTF were you 5 or 6 jocks at? Golf?  You damn sure didn't have enough to form a team.

Oops.  I was one of 5 or 6 jocks that was in the band.

Offline ocelot_ark

• Boar
« Reply #96 on: January 10, 2012, 08:44:28 AM »

To be fair, college bands CANNOT compete with this level performance.  Kids is DCI (usually marching with a college band in the fall) put in hundreds of hours of practice on ONE performance to get it ready for the finals in August. 

Yeah, I didn't mean to imply that we'd be able to compete with their level of marching.  Definitely not across a whole show.  But I think we could pull off ONE complicated move per show...as long as it's a forward move, it wouldn't be that difficult, IMO.  My point about DCI was moreso that I wished we would mimic their composition and ditch the woodwinds. 

One thing I've always noticed about youtube vids of DCI is that they're very adept at using silence, then hitting you in the face with a blast of sound.  I felt like we always played 1 or 2 volumes.  As loud as possible, or slightly less than as loud as possible. 

Also, any decent drum corps has highly competitive tryouts to make the corps.  There can't be more than twenty kids marching for the U of A that could have made the roster for a top five corps this year.  .. and fat flag girls need not apply.

Yeah, this goes to my point about reducing the number of kids in the band.  You don't need 350 kids.  It's neat, but you're not that much louder, if at all.  I'll take 250 kids that are nothing but brass and drums and rival the sound made by any band with 350 that includes at least 100 woodwinds. 

As for our kids being able to make DCI, I don't agree with that.  The thing that keeps 99% of most kids from trying out for DCI, in my opinion, is the time commitment.  You give up your entire summer and forgo having a summer job.  I couldn't afford that.  I was friends with a guy that marched DCI 2 years, though.  He was a great musician and he continues to pursue that dream, but at the time he was very, very comparable with myself and at least 4 other guys in my section.  I don't think the music would be an issue for the music majors in our band.  And probably not for a lot of the non-music majors, either.  Conditioning/athleticism would be the biggest detriment (discounting the time commitment), but, like I said earlier in this thread, there was a surprising number of athletes in the U of A band 11/12 years ago.  I'm assuming that's still the case. 

Almost all college bands require ALL members of the band to march.  Clarinet player that couldn't make the flag-line?  Doesn't matter that nobody is going to hear you - we need the bodies on the field.  Add that every school with a football team has a marching band with 50 to 500 kids.  Top it off with the fact that the U of A may not be one of the three best music schools in Arkansas, and talent get pretty diluted.

Which is why I wish we would be innovative.  DCI style college band would attract a LOT of quality brass/percussionists from the area (OK, TX, MO, AR).  I know that would have appealed to me. 

That said, the current band director shows little originality and no understanding of what gets a crowd pumped up.  More drum-heavy tunes from the last decade coming from the stands would be a good start.

He's doing MILES and MILES better than Gunter.  So there's that at least. 

Offline razorbackaaron

• Tush Hog
  • Lacy and Jenna Coburn's Daddy
« Reply #97 on: January 10, 2012, 09:36:28 AM »
I have a therapist, and this never comes up, even though I get misty eyed.  What would be wrong with keeping the Alma Mater AND having the rockin ode to BMFP?  Best of both worlds then, right?

I doubt EVH would give us the rights.
I discovered Leo Propst.  � on: November 17, 2007, 10:20:38 PM �

Online Phat_Hawg

• Has pulled more tail than a slow kid at a petting zoo
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #98 on: January 10, 2012, 09:58:36 AM »

If you are a music major and you want the maximum music scholarship at the UA you have to be in marching band.
Homies help homes.......always

Offline subliznime

• Don't tread on me!
  • Boar
  • We are the like
« Reply #99 on: January 10, 2012, 11:01:33 AM »
Ocelot_ark aside, It's the Frickin' band!!! Who cares except band geeks and fat chicks who wouldn't have gotten into college any other way?

I know someone will get all bowed up over this but again, WHO CARES? Who among us goes to a game to see the band over the game? I never read on the woopigs that we lost the halftime show or claims of the tuba player has speed to burn. Again, I DON'T CARE.

I enjoy the band but consider them the malt and hops to the half time beer.  Afterall, IT'S THE FRICKIN BAND!
I dont get your ee analogy. So malt hops are what make beer so the band is what makes halftime?
“An intellectual is a person who has discovered something more interesting than sex.”
― Aldous Huxley

WOOPIG.NET   © 2014  Jackson Technologies

Page created in 0.308 seconds with 20 queries.