Welcome, Guest! Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 2012 Football Offseason Thread  (Read 95749 times)

Offline griffinhogsfan

• Go Hogs!
  • Wild Hog
Re: 2012 Football Offseason Thread
« Reply #75 on: January 31, 2012, 11:53:53 AM »
In your mind, are you ranking them based on how good they are going to be or how they are going to finish?

Both. Oregon will lose two maybe three games and be out of the top five easily.

Isnt that what you suppose to do. Rank them base on how good you'll think they will be and finish the season.

Offline Das Uberschwein

• Resident Drecksau
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #76 on: January 31, 2012, 01:46:27 PM »

what the crap is this heck i don't even grey pants no hog to be seen rage

/taken from the fall, 2012 nike team catalogue

I guess gray is the new black at Nike.

Offline big_pig

• King of the Hogs
  • Avatars were made to be broken, but not this one!
« Reply #77 on: January 31, 2012, 01:48:45 PM »
I guess gray is the new black at Nike.

This is green.
I am not claiming I am right, I am saying I don't get it.

Offline Das Uberschwein

• Resident Drecksau
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #78 on: January 31, 2012, 01:53:30 PM »
This is green.

I was hoping it was a bad pic.

Offline Phat_Hawg

• Has pulled more tail than a slow kid at a petting zoo
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #79 on: January 31, 2012, 03:06:27 PM »
This is green.

Maybe he's a dog.  Try the peanut butter thing and see how he reacts.

Offline Turd F.

• Token Coonass
  • Boar
« Reply #80 on: February 03, 2012, 07:14:11 PM »
Tyrone Duplessis, a RB from LA Tech, died yesterday of what looks to be a heart attack. I feel horrible for his family and for the team.
http://college-football.si.com/2012/02/02/louisiana-tech-rb-tyrone-duplessis-dead-at-21/?sct=cf_t2_a11

Offline Buffinator

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #81 on: February 03, 2012, 07:56:32 PM »
Every time LaTech loses a game next year the announcers will talk non-stop about this being a reason why.

Offline Turd F.

• Token Coonass
  • Boar
« Reply #82 on: February 03, 2012, 07:59:07 PM »
Every time LaTech loses a game next year the announcers will talk non-stop about this being a reason why.

What makes you say that?

Offline Das Uberschwein

• Resident Drecksau
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #83 on: February 03, 2012, 08:24:48 PM »
Tyrone Duplessis, a RB from LA Tech, died yesterday of what looks to be a heart attack. I feel horrible for his family and for the team.
http://college-football.si.com/2012/02/02/louisiana-tech-rb-tyrone-duplessis-dead-at-21/?sct=cf_t2_a11

Very, very sad.

Offline Gin

• Likes Transformers
  • A Shoat
  • democrat........
« Reply #84 on: February 04, 2012, 09:41:13 AM »

Offline BASS

• The Philosophical Woopigga
  • Boar
« Reply #85 on: February 04, 2012, 10:18:11 AM »
Both. Oregon will lose two maybe three games and be out of the top five easily.

Isnt that what you suppose to do. Rank them base on how good you'll think they will be and finish the season.

you're ranking criteria are 2 different things that are mutually exclusive.  ranking teams on how good you think they actually are regardless of who they play where and who you expect them to lose to, and ranking them based on where you think the ap voters will have them ranked at the end of season are unrelated. 

if the teams are ranked exclusively on how good they are perceived to be (i.e. whom would vegas favor over whom on a neutral field), then it could be possible for the #10 ranked team in the country to play all 9 teams ranked in front them, be an underdog in all 9 games, lose all 9 games, but cover the spread, finish 3-9, and still be the 10th best team in the country.  but because of the fricked upness that makes up the voters and polls that team would never finish in the top 25 even though they would be likely to beat 16 of the teams ranked in the final poll.

Offline Turd F.

• Token Coonass
  • Boar
« Reply #86 on: February 04, 2012, 06:24:30 PM »
I doubt this would happen at a BCS school with the hard scholarship cap and the cut-throat nature of recruiting, but this is a pretty cool gesture by Rice's coach to honor the schollie for this guy:

http://bruce-feldman.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/31626208/34691209

Like thousands of other gifted high school football recruits, David Wilganowski and his family probably took a big sigh of relief and celebrated that the madness that has become National Signing Day was finally behind them.

It's around this time--just a few days after colleges announce who they've landed--that we tend to start learning about those other kids, who may have bought into hollow promises only to realize that they've been left out in the margins, squeezed by the world of big-time college sports. It happens so much now that we shrug our shoulders at coaches making cutthroat "business" decisions or when both players and coaches mangle the definition of the word "commitment" that the details behind the 6-4, 230-pound defensive end's signing with the Rice Owls Wednesday should make you smile.

Oh, Wilganowski, like the rest of the recruits who faxed in their letters a few days ago, was a big deal in his hometown. He'd committed to play D1 football on a full scholarship (to Rice) in June. He was a team captain and Homecoming King as a senior and starred in other sports (track and power lifting). The kid from Rudder High School in Bryan, Texas was also Academic All-State and picked the Owls over offers from among others, Army, Navy and Air Force. 

Then, Wilganowski's life took a dramatic turn. At the start of Wilganowski's senior season, he collapsed during a game. His heart had given out. Paramedics had to revive him. Wilganowski was diagnosed with something called Long Q-T Syndrome. He had a heart defibrillator implanted into his chest. Doctors informed him his football career was over.

His mom, Susan told Fox Sports Houston she thought there was "no chance" her son would be on an athletic scholarship this fall.

However, Rice head coach David Bailiff remained committed to the kid and to his promise to welcome him as part of the Owls football program. On Wednesday, the coach was proud to announce that Wilganowski was getting that full scholarship.

"We ask those young men to commit to us, and we tell them we're gonna be there through thick and thin," Bailiff said. "That's how that works. Your word has to be good."

Sadly, that's something that seems like it's becoming pretty rare these days.

Online pinkphiloyd

• will eat your babies, bitch.
  • Boar
« Reply #87 on: February 04, 2012, 10:10:56 PM »
I doubt this would happen at a BCS school with the hard scholarship cap and the cut-throat nature of recruiting, but this is a pretty cool gesture by Rice's coach to honor the schollie for this guy:

http://bruce-feldman.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/31626208/34691209

Like thousands of other gifted high school football recruits, David Wilganowski and his family probably took a big sigh of relief and celebrated that the madness that has become National Signing Day was finally behind them.

It's around this time--just a few days after colleges announce who they've landed--that we tend to start learning about those other kids, who may have bought into hollow promises only to realize that they've been left out in the margins, squeezed by the world of big-time college sports. It happens so much now that we shrug our shoulders at coaches making cutthroat "business" decisions or when both players and coaches mangle the definition of the word "commitment" that the details behind the 6-4, 230-pound defensive end's signing with the Rice Owls Wednesday should make you smile.

Oh, Wilganowski, like the rest of the recruits who faxed in their letters a few days ago, was a big deal in his hometown. He'd committed to play D1 football on a full scholarship (to Rice) in June. He was a team captain and Homecoming King as a senior and starred in other sports (track and power lifting). The kid from Rudder High School in Bryan, Texas was also Academic All-State and picked the Owls over offers from among others, Army, Navy and Air Force. 

Then, Wilganowski's life took a dramatic turn. At the start of Wilganowski's senior season, he collapsed during a game. His heart had given out. Paramedics had to revive him. Wilganowski was diagnosed with something called Long Q-T Syndrome. He had a heart defibrillator implanted into his chest. Doctors informed him his football career was over.

His mom, Susan told Fox Sports Houston she thought there was "no chance" her son would be on an athletic scholarship this fall.

However, Rice head coach David Bailiff remained committed to the kid and to his promise to welcome him as part of the Owls football program. On Wednesday, the coach was proud to announce that Wilganowski was getting that full scholarship.

"We ask those young men to commit to us, and we tell them we're gonna be there through thick and thin," Bailiff said. "That's how that works. Your word has to be good."

Sadly, that's something that seems like it's becoming pretty rare these days.

:beer:
I can't explain it; there's some kind of weird chemical reaction that happens when you combine cat food, beer, and glue.  It makes you feel, like, really sick and tired and you're able to fall asleep.

Offline Buffinator

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #88 on: February 04, 2012, 10:18:11 PM »

Offline Splurge

• is crawling on his belly clearing out what could have been
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #89 on: February 05, 2012, 08:11:36 PM »

That's the one thing I preach to my kids - keep your word.  No matter how much you may regret it or how bad it hurts, you keep your word.

There's hope for the human race yet.   :beer:

Offline Turd F.

• Token Coonass
  • Boar
« Reply #90 on: February 05, 2012, 10:44:44 PM »
That's the one thing I preach to my kids - keep your word.  No matter how much you may regret it or how bad it hurts, you keep your word.

There's hope for the human race yet.   :beer:

I saw a feature on the Rice coach earlier in the season--they had a large group of international students over at the stadium and gave them a primer on football and actually had them do some drills so that they'd understand the game better as well as get to interact with the team. The coach is a real stand-up dude.

Offline Tusk till Dawn

• Boar
  • Do you even woopig, bro?
« Reply #91 on: February 05, 2012, 10:49:12 PM »
I live near Branson, so I gave up bitching about traffic a long time ago. I'm not going to post pictures of my wife's tits and/or ass. And I've had about all the recruiting rumor I can digest. So that leaves the 2012 Arkansas Razorbacks Football team.

This past season we had two (maybe three) glaring weakness: (1) Our O-line resembled, most of the time, a wounded beer can. (2) Cornerbacks struggled in man-to-man coverage, or most any coverage for that matter. (3) We struggled mightily to stop a zone-read running attack.

Next season, emerging weaknesses could be (4) the wide receiving corps, and (5) our pass rush.

My thoughts:

(1) I think we're solid on the inside with Swanson, B. Cook, and Bailey. Can the T's rise to the occasion and hold off Bama & LSU's pass rush?
(2) I'm encouraged by the play of Tevin Mitchell, he proved last season, to me, that he's not going to shy away from 'the moment'. I'm hopeful that D. Winston will at last show a little pride and step up and be a leader'.
(3) I don't know what to do about this except hope that new defensive coordinator Paul Haynes can coach 'em up better than Ol' Willy.
(4) I'm not banking on the fact that 'football jesus' is going to sign that dotted line come Wednesday. I have some serious concerns about the WR corps. Cobi Hamilton, apart from two big plays against LSU, has never shown that he can be the #1 guy. Wade, Horton, Herndon and Funderburke all are unproven--to put it mildly.
(5) I keep hearing Trey Flowers, Trey Flowers, Chris Smith, Trey Flowers...get the frick outta here. I believe we have the physical talent to get the job done, but this unit is really going to have to step their game up.

I'm not a doomsayer. In my mind, these are some legitimate concerns moving forward. I hope the 'elite talent' we're supposed to have redshirting can step in and make a difference.

nm
Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night keeps TTD from his Hot Damn.

Offline Clark

• Putting my Kools out on your floor.
  • King of the Hogs
  • UPGRAYEDD. Two D's for a double dose of pimpin'.
« Reply #92 on: February 08, 2012, 08:07:33 AM »
Just ask Arkansas and South Carolina. They were part of the SEC's last expansion 20 years ago when the league went to 12 teams and split into two divisions in 1992.

Both teams are still looking for their first SEC championship, and between them, they've been to only three SEC championship games. South Carolina didn't make its first trip to Atlanta until the 2010 season.

Nice research Chris Low.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7549791/missouri-tigers-texas-aggies-begin-transition-sec
The iconic 'alien' is to us what we are to apes: small, pale, big headed, and with unfathomable technology. We even abduct them for medical experiments. Mind blown.
--Rage

Online HogofWar

• Boar
  • Tits Out, Captain.
« Reply #93 on: February 14, 2012, 03:03:05 PM »
Half-Fail.

http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/38932/what-you-love-about-your-sec-team

Big Bill in Cordova, Tenn., writes: I'ma Hog fan, and I'll tell you what I love about the Razorbacks. I am a sucker for all those goofy traditions that every school has. I get caught up in the moment of watching the band form the A, playing the 1812 Overture, and watching the student section do that same silly dance. And then I scream my fool-head off when the Hogs come charging through that A.

Offline Turd F.

• Token Coonass
  • Boar
« Reply #94 on: February 14, 2012, 07:20:22 PM »
Interesting (if it leads to bigger sanctions):

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/14/gamecocks-to-appear-before-ncaas-coi-this-weekend/

Two months after self-imposing sanctions for a handful of significant NCAA violations, South Carolina will take the next step this weekend toward learning whether The Association will accept those penalties.  Or bring a bigger punitive hammer.

As has previously been reported, South Carolina will appear before the NCAA’s Committee on Infractions this Friday and Saturday to answer questions concerning last September’s Notice of Allegations.  According to the Charleston Post & Courier, an 11-person-strong contingent will represent USC at the hearing this weekend, including head coach Steve Spurrier, assistant coach G.A. Mangus, athletic director Eric Hyman and president Dr. Harris Pastides.

An NCAA investigation that began in the summer of 2010 ultimately found that football players and other student-athletes had received in the neighborhood of $55,000 in impermissible benefits, with $47,000 of that figure stemming from off-campus housing at an area hotel.  The other $8,000 stems from “Kevin Lahn and Steve Gordon, representatives of the institution’s athletics interests, [making] impermissible recruiting contacts with and [providing] impermissible recruiting inducements to prospective student-athletes and [providing] extra benefits to student-athletes.“

The housing allegations, the first listed in the NOA, are from May 2009 through Oct. 2010, while the recruiting issues, the second listed in the NOA, allegedly occurred from the spring of 2009 through February of 2011.

The third major violation alleged in the NOA is a failure to monitor both the housing and recruiting issues.

In December of last year, USC self-imposed sanctions that included a loss of six scholarships over the course of three years; a reduction of official recruiting visits to 30 for the 2012-13 year; and an $18,500 fine for allowing four ineligible football players to compete during the 2009-10 football season.

The committee can either deem those sanctions sufficient, or impose further sanctions on the program (see: State University, the Ohio).  A final decision from the COI likely won’t come down until mid-April at the earliest.

Offline big_pig

• King of the Hogs
  • Avatars were made to be broken, but not this one!
« Reply #95 on: February 14, 2012, 07:24:29 PM »
Half-Fail.

http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/38932/what-you-love-about-your-sec-team

Big Bill in Cordova, Tenn., writes: I'ma Hog fan, and I'll tell you what I love about the Razorbacks. I am a sucker for all those goofy traditions that every school has. I get caught up in the moment of watching the band form the A, playing the 1812 Overture, and watching the student section do that same silly dance. And then I scream my fool-head off when the Hogs come charging through that A.

Who doesn't love a good rendition of the Pen and Teller Overture.
I am not claiming I am right, I am saying I don't get it.

Offline VillageHawg7

• Tush Hog
« Reply #96 on: February 14, 2012, 11:32:28 PM »
Commentary from Mr. SEC about this article, http://newsok.com/conference-realignment-missouri-texas-am-will-regret-leaving-the-big-12/article/3648701:

Missouri and Texas A&M may have some regrets.  No move is made without some amount of pain.  But if losing Kansas and Texas, respectively, are the schools’ greatest hardships, well, that’s a small price to pay for progress.  After all, just look again to Arkansas.  You can be sure Hog fans missed playing the Longhorns on a yearly basis when they first jumped to the SEC.  Now?  They just enjoy finishing ahead of them in the national football polls each year.

Offline hogggdadi

• Tush Hog
  • I'm watching you on the pig. always
« Reply #97 on: February 17, 2012, 10:03:10 AM »
Tyler Wilson is Chris Low's #17 player in the SEC.  Rated a little low in my book.  He was the best QB in the SEC afterall. 

http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/39081/the-secs-top-25-players-no-17
You only have to be the best team today.

Offline Rocket_City_Hawg

• A Shoat
  • Javelin. When you need to kill something
« Reply #98 on: February 17, 2012, 10:16:20 AM »
Tyler Wilson is Chris Low's #17 player in the SEC.  Rated a little low in my book.  He was the best QB in the SEC afterall. 

http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/39081/the-secs-top-25-players-no-17

Based on him being one position ahead of Murray, Chris agrees with you about being the best QB.  I believe he will end up being the highest rated QB as well.

Online HogofWar

• Boar
  • Tits Out, Captain.
« Reply #99 on: February 21, 2012, 03:27:25 PM »
Maybe we can play Frosted Tips University in Jerry World.

http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/39209/texas-am-gets-arkansas-at-home-in-2012

Arkansas will be facing Texas A&M in the state of Texas in 2012, but it won't be at Cowboys Stadium as originally scheduled.

Texas A&M athletic director Bill Byrne announced over the weekend that the Aggies would face the Hogs next season on Sept. 29 at Kyle Field, giving Texas A&M six home games. In 2013, Texas A&M will play at Arkansas. The series will then go back to Cowboys Stadium in 2014, and be played in Arlington, Texas, for the final seven years of the original 10-year contract that was signed prior to Texas A&M joining the SEC.

Consider it a two-year compromise. Texas A&M preferred to play the game on campus, and Arkansas wanted to keep the game at Cowboys Stadium. The Hogs like the idea of playing a game every year in the Dallas area for recruiting purposes.

With next season's Arkansas game being played at Kyle Field, that means Texas A&M will have a very attractive home schedule during its first season in the SEC. Florida will visit College Station the second week of the season on Sept. 8. Arkansas closes out the month by visiting on Sept. 29. LSU comes to town on Oct. 20, and Missouri will visit Kyle Field for the regular-season finale on Nov. 24.

WOOPIG.NET   © 2014  Jackson Technologies

Page created in 0.367 seconds with 20 queries.