Welcome, Guest! Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Official 2012 Recruiting Class Thread  (Read 47900 times)

Offline TUSK_U

• Wild Hog
Re: Official 2012 Recruiting Class Thread
« Reply #250 on: February 01, 2012, 12:04:32 PM »
So if Javon Williams goes to UCLA after we slow played him and we offer Brad Culp, I'll be upset.

Well, Williams just signed with UCLA.

Offline subliznime

• Don't tread on me!
  • Boar
  • We are the like
« Reply #251 on: February 01, 2012, 12:05:10 PM »
Once again, you're putting WAAAAY to much faith into current recruiting rankings. Why?  Because it's sounding like you trust how a washed up never was QB now turned analyst is ranking kids out of HS against competition that wil be selling cars this time next year.
Having confidence that we will be ok is fine because of course we will be ok. But quit acting like it doesnt disapoint you that we didnt get some of these guys. If we wouldve gotten them would you just be acting like oh who cares that we got dgb?no had we gotten him and a few others and  finished in the top five you would've hollering that this top5/10 class is the going to be really really great which is exactly what some recruiting site will tell you. If we dont get the recruits the mantra is these recruiting services dont know aMm. If we signed these guys and had a top class then all the sudden they are right because well we got better players. Acting like there is nothing right abouy these services is our way of dealing with not signing top 5 classes. Easy to make fun of the party when you arent invited.
“An intellectual is a person who has discovered something more interesting than sex.”
― Aldous Huxley

Offline LashHog

• is not dead in East End
  • King of the Hogs
  • WooPig
« Reply #252 on: February 01, 2012, 12:05:55 PM »
I'm upset because we lost a true difference maker.  I don't give a aMm about our class ranking.  I care that we no longer have a 6'6" once in a lifetime receiver in the fold.  THAT'S the kind of player that Bama/LSU can't prepare for.  Oh? You have an all world CB at 6'1", blah, blah? Oh well. Just throw it up to DGB.  He would keep drives going, turn FGs into TDs, etc, etc.  He's Calvin Johnson/Larry Fitzgerald level talent.  I'm not saying we DON'T have talented receivers.  We do.  But even the 3 great receivers we just lost were, at best, a wash when compared to the secondaries they faced at Bama/LSU...and that's probably a stretch. 

Oh well, it's over now.  And Javon Williams signed with UCLA.  :suicide:

They need to start working on Tenpenny and get his ass to stay in Arkansas.  I can stand losing a 5* out of state player...but we need to stop losing the few elite players we have in the state to grades/competition.
I agree completely.

I think this is a good time to bring back this old article...

http://woopig.net/2010/02/recruiting-rankings-dont-matter-inexactly/
It is better to be a human being dissatisfied than a pig satisfied; better to be Socrates dissatisfied than a fool satisfied.

Offline TUSK_U

• Wild Hog
« Reply #253 on: February 01, 2012, 12:06:14 PM »
I really thought we were gonna close with a bang. We kind of we closed with a poof this year. Guess we can still wait on diamond and his buddy on Friday.

Offline Turd F.

• Token Coonass
  • Boar
« Reply #254 on: February 01, 2012, 12:06:41 PM »
So if Javon Williams goes to UCLA after we slow played him and we offer Brad Culp, I'll be upset.

edit: he went to ucla

I wouldn't think that we would even really need another WR right now considering how many are on the current roster. And and we signed, what--3 or 4 WRs in this class? I'm sure those spots are for Diamond and Robert Gregory (don't know if he'll be a QB or not).

Offline Sus-Scrofa

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #255 on: February 01, 2012, 12:07:45 PM »
This is how I look at the rankings-  Had we signed DGB, our class ranking would have jumped up quite a bit.  He's a WR that would've been coming to a team that will never have problems at receiver.  Does that one commitment really change the overall dynamic of our class that much?  The Peters signing fills a need for us that is much more important than wide receiver, but the rankings don't reflect that. 

I'm not trying to say I don't care about not signing DGB.  I'm very unhappy that we didn't.  Just saying that you could sign a class with a handful of 5 star guys at one position and you're class is going to be ranked high regardless of what else you have.

Take that kind of logical thinking somewhere else!

Offline Death By Sooiecide

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #256 on: February 01, 2012, 12:09:10 PM »
Having confidence that we will be ok is fine because of course we will be ok. But quit acting like it doesnt disapoint you that we didnt get some of these guys. If we wouldve gotten them would you just be acting like oh who cares that we got dgb?no had we gotten him and a few others and  finished in the top five you would've hollering that this top5/10 class is the going to be really really great which is exactly what some recruiting site will tell you. If we dont get the recruits the mantra is these recruiting services dont know aMm. If we signed these guys and had a top class then all the sudden they are right because well we got better players. Acting like there is nothing right abouy these services is our way of dealing with not signing top 5 classes. Easy to make fun of the party when you arent invited.
This

Offline asshat

• Tush Hog
  • Hates all things Auburn
    • please click here to see the World Famous Artist Sean Terrence Best !!
« Reply #257 on: February 01, 2012, 12:10:13 PM »
I'm not upset, we got players that BMFP wants and who want to be at Arkansas. I am looking forward to watching them develop and kicking ass for the next 5 years.  I also look forward to: the class geting re-ranked in 4 years and is a top ten; beating the everloving aMm out of Vandy, Tennersee and mizzou and every other team we face.

They can have DGB and Pinkel I will happily take Petrino and what ever kid has the stones to come play for him.
Quote from: Duckman
This is exactly where we are at, dead on:  To everyone that is hushing the Gruden talk, stop it, there IS a deal in place...

Offline OneWhoAdores

• A Shoat
« Reply #258 on: February 01, 2012, 12:10:49 PM »
I'm telling you that an 11-win season on top of a 10-win season buys a person plenty of confidence, and so I don't question it.

I think some of you are being fricking stupid and obsessing for obsessing's stake over reading tea leaves.

Look, I honestly don't know whether I would rather have Petrino or Saban as the coach here.  That's saying something because BMFP hasn't accomplished nearly as much as Saban.  But he has taken us from aMm to serious way faster than we ever could have imagined.  Getting to 11 wins from where we started in 08 is an obvious indicator of coaching ability.

But, aMm, that isn't a strong enough reason not to be concerned with what's happened today.  Recruiting fricking matters, like it or not.  I've posted before (and if necessary will again) statistical studies that show that recruiting rankings (measured by whichever service you like, no matter how the services quantify the player's talent) are significantly correlated with how you end up in the final polls for the next four years (where 'polls' means Sagarin ratings, at least).  That is a robust fricking effect.  Yeah, cue all the bullshit about correlation not implying causation.  I know; I get it.  But, on the other hand, the only evidence for any causal connection is correlational.  So, assuming we care about the future success of the program, we'd clearly be retards not to AT LEAST point this evidence out. 

I'm sure coaching ability is a variable that you have to keep in mind when trying to explain the correlation.  But it's just obvious that Lombardi himself is not beating Alabama and LSU with a bunch of fricking two stars.  And it doesn't make me or anyone else a chicken little for pointing that out.
If you don't bleed Razorback Red, just take your bitch ass on home

Offline jsimp

• Tush Hog
« Reply #259 on: February 01, 2012, 12:11:06 PM »
Tim Horton has to be re-evaluated here right? We will finish 10th in the sec after a top 5 finish,  and we have lost the top instate recruit the last 3 going on 4 years. Say what you want about those instate kids, they had scholly offers from us. It's dissapointing to say the least.

Offline ocelot_ark

• Boar
« Reply #260 on: February 01, 2012, 12:11:23 PM »
I really thought we were gonna close with a bang. We kind of we closed with a poof this year. Guess we can still wait on diamond and his buddy on Friday.

There's still at least a LITTLE hope for some fireworks here at the end.

Seth Jacobs announces tonight, I believe.  He would be a huge get for the defense.  I THINK it's down to us and Ok St.  I'm not holding my breath, though.  Haven't heard ANYTHING about him in months with regards to Arkansas.

Darius Philon, a DE/DT from Alabama, had his scholly offer reverted to a grayshirt by Saban and Bama.  He put on the Bama hat and went through the shennanigans, but he didn't sign/fax his LOI yet.  Supposedly we're in his ear offering the full ride.  Teammate of Jamichael Winston.  I'd be pretty damn happy with that kind of surprise on NSD.  Very good player with offers from Bama, Auburn, and others.

Diamond.  I feel good about him.  I just hope we didn't have to offer a package deal to get him.  I think we'll know if we got him if we don't sign Warburg or whatever his name is.  If he signs elsewhere, I'll take that to mean that Diamond is ours.

Offline subliznime

• Don't tread on me!
  • Boar
  • We are the like
« Reply #261 on: February 01, 2012, 12:12:54 PM »
This is how I look at the rankings-  Had we signed DGB, our class ranking would have jumped up quite a bit.  He's a WR that would've been coming to a team that will never have problems at receiver.  Does that one commitment really change the overall dynamic of our class that much?  The Peters signing fills a need for us that is much more important than wide receiver, but the rankings don't reflect that. 

I'm not trying to say I don't care about not signing DGB.  I'm very unhappy that we didn't.  Just saying that you could sign a class with a handful of 5 star guys at one position and you're class is going to be ranked high regardless of what else you have.
So you are saying you wouldnt want to sign a handfull of 5 star wrs or a handfull of 5 star at the same position because it disproportionately fluffs our rankings? Ill take signing 3 five star wr in every class from now till the end of time.
“An intellectual is a person who has discovered something more interesting than sex.”
― Aldous Huxley

Offline Filthy_McSwine

• Boar
« Reply #262 on: February 01, 2012, 12:14:32 PM »
Anyone know why Buchanan hasn't signed?

Offline TC

• Boar
« Reply #263 on: February 01, 2012, 12:15:09 PM »

I never said I wasnt disappointed we didnt land a 6'4, 220lb, 4.4 wr.  I was shocked when I saw him put that hat on.  I'm very disappointed.  And dont pretend to know how I would respond either way to make yourself feel better about your shitty argument that recruiting rankings DO matter.  Because that's just bullshit, and you're hook, line, and sinker the reason why these shitty recruiting services are in business. 
Look, we finished #6 and if we beat LSU who knows what wouldve happened.  And we'll be better this year.  Quit the chicken little sky is falling because we dont have a top 5 class.  I think some of you are just still jaded by the last crew that was here trying to sell you on diamonds in the rough and under the radar super secret recruits, when it was just really shitty recruiting.

Offline McCarroll21

• A Shoat
« Reply #264 on: February 01, 2012, 12:17:18 PM »
Anyone know why Buchanan hasn't signed?

He has signed.

Offline ups_hog

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #265 on: February 01, 2012, 12:18:11 PM »
So you are saying you wouldnt want to sign a handfull of 5 star wrs or a handfull of 5 star at the same position because it disproportionately fluffs our rankings? Ill take signing 3 five star wr in every class from now till the end of time.

Not at all, and I agree with you.  I'm just saying that if you sign a bunch of 5 stars at one position and you don't do a good job of signing your areas of actual need, that class might be ranked highly but it's not going to translate to wins.  Like signing the best QB on the planet and then putting him behind a shitty offensive line.  I'm just talking strictly about the rankings.   

If we could get Jacobs tonight that would be a pretty good class of linebackers, which we are actually in desperate need of.  I'm just trying to make myself feel better here.

Offline Das Uberschwein

• Resident Drecksau
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #266 on: February 01, 2012, 12:18:54 PM »
Look, I honestly don't know whether I would rather have Petrino or Saban as the coach here.  That's saying something because BMFP hasn't accomplished nearly as much as Saban.  But he has taken us from aMm to serious way faster than we ever could have imagined.  Getting to 11 wins from where we started in 08 is an obvious indicator of coaching ability.

But, aMm, that isn't a strong enough reason not to be concerned with what's happened today.  Recruiting fricking matters, like it or not.  I've posted before (and if necessary will again) statistical studies that show that recruiting rankings (measured by whichever service you like, no matter how the services quantify the player's talent) are significantly correlated with how you end up in the final polls for the next four years (where 'polls' means Sagarin ratings, at least).  That is a robust fricking effect.  Yeah, cue all the bullshit about correlation not implying causation.  I know; I get it.  But, on the other hand, the only evidence for any causal connection is correlational.  So, assuming we care about the future success of the program, we'd clearly be retards not to AT LEAST point this evidence out. 

I'm sure coaching ability is a variable that you have to keep in mind when trying to explain the correlation.  But it's just obvious that Lombardi himself is not beating Alabama and LSU with a bunch of fricking two stars.  And it doesn't make me or anyone else a chicken little for pointing that out.

I was told there'd be no math.

Offline ocelot_ark

• Boar
« Reply #267 on: February 01, 2012, 12:19:24 PM »
But it's just obvious that Lombardi himself is not beating Alabama and LSU with a bunch of fricking two stars.  And it doesn't make me or anyone else a chicken little for pointing that out.

Wait. We signed a bunch of fricking 2 stars? Maybe your spreadsheet is off, hoss. The majority of our players are 3/4 stars. 

Offline subliznime

• Don't tread on me!
  • Boar
  • We are the like
« Reply #268 on: February 01, 2012, 12:21:30 PM »
I'm not upset, we got players that BMFP wants and who want to be at Arkansas. I am looking forward to watching them develop and kicking ass for the next 5 years.  I also look forward to: the class geting re-ranked in 4 years and is a top ten; beating the everloving aMm out of Vandy, Tennersee and mizzou and every other team we face.

They can have DGB and Pinkel I will happily take Petrino and what ever kid has the stones to come play for him.
So the same people that make initial recruiting rankings are always wrong because we dont rank high however when the same people make rerankings and we finish highly then all the sudden they know what they are talking about. It makes so much sense now.
― Aldous Huxley

Offline Thin Red Swine

• King of the Hogs
  • Hard tung indeed
« Reply #269 on: February 01, 2012, 12:22:25 PM »
There's still at least a LITTLE hope for some fireworks here at the end.

Seth Jacobs announces tonight, I believe.  He would be a huge get for the defense.  I THINK it's down to us and Ok St.  I'm not holding my breath, though.  Haven't heard ANYTHING about him in months with regards to Arkansas.

Darius Philon, a DE/DT from Alabama, had his scholly offer reverted to a grayshirt by Saban and Bama.  He put on the Bama hat and went through the shennanigans, but he didn't sign/fax his LOI yet.  Supposedly we're in his ear offering the full ride.  Teammate of Jamichael Winston.  I'd be pretty damn happy with that kind of surprise on NSD.  Very good player with offers from Bama, Auburn, and others.

Diamond.  I feel good about him.  I just hope we didn't have to offer a package deal to get him.  I think we'll know if we got him if we don't sign Warburg or whatever his name is.  If he signs elsewhere, I'll take that to mean that Diamond is ours.

According to the 24/7 site, Jacobs is down to us and Arizona State, showing both as "Warmer."

We aren't in Philon's top 5 on that same list, but I'd love to steal one from 'Bama, no matter how it happened.

As to DGB, I would have loved to get him, but not really for the sake of rankings.  It would've just been great for our name to be associated with making a big splash. 
9:20 Arkansas ARK TD  Player passed to Player to the left for 6 yard gain (Adam McFain made PAT)

Offline asshat

• Tush Hog
  • Hates all things Auburn
    • please click here to see the World Famous Artist Sean Terrence Best !!
« Reply #270 on: February 01, 2012, 12:23:57 PM »
So the same people that make initial recruiting rankings are always wrong because we dont rank high however when the same people make rerankings and we finish highly then all the sudden they know what they are talking about. It makes so much sense now.

Yeah I see your point, its so much harder to grade actual results than to project potential 4 years into the future.
dumas
Quote from: Duckman
This is exactly where we are at, dead on:  To everyone that is hushing the Gruden talk, stop it, there IS a deal in place...

Offline TC

• Boar
« Reply #271 on: February 01, 2012, 12:25:32 PM »

You're really fricking thick today.

Which is more accurate player eval. (or 'star ranking')?  Coming out of h.s. against varied competiton, or after senior collegiate season against D1 comp.?

Offline subliznime

• Don't tread on me!
  • Boar
  • We are the like
« Reply #272 on: February 01, 2012, 12:26:33 PM »
I never said I wasnt disappointed we didnt land a 6'4, 220lb, 4.4 wr.  I was shocked when I saw him put that hat on.  I'm very disappointed.  And dont pretend to know how I would respond either way to make yourself feel better about your shitty argument that recruiting rankings DO matter.  Because that's just bullshit, and you're hook, line, and sinker the reason why these shitty recruiting services are in business. 
Look, we finished #6 and if we beat LSU who knows what wouldve happened.  And we'll be better this year.  Quit the chicken little sky is falling because we dont have a top 5 class.  I think some of you are just still jaded by the last crew that was here trying to sell you on diamonds in the rough and under the radar super secret recruits, when it was just really shitty recruiting.
Every national champ for the past ten years signs top 10 classes every year. Rivals may not know aMm but thats one Starkville of a pattern.
― Aldous Huxley

Offline Hawgwild8988

• Boar
  • e pluribus sooie
« Reply #273 on: February 01, 2012, 12:27:57 PM »

I think the point is that it is a Starkville of a lot easier to rank recruits after the fact than to give them some mythical amount of stars. And really, who knows how good some 17 year old kid will be in 2 or 3 years?

Offline Hognarok

• Tush Hog
  • Port Tobacco carriage maker
« Reply #274 on: February 01, 2012, 12:29:23 PM »

Makes sense to me.  Hindsight is fitty fitty.

WOOPIG.NET   © 2014  Jackson Technologies

Page created in 0.383 seconds with 20 queries.