Welcome, Guest! Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Official 2012 Recruiting Class Thread  (Read 48318 times)

Offline BASS

• The Philosophical Woopigga
  • Boar
Re: Official 2012 Recruiting Class Thread
« Reply #625 on: February 05, 2012, 04:50:52 PM »
You really think most 18 year old kids make wise choices on cars if it was up to them?  They probably SHOULD be choosing a dodge caravan, but will end up with a  hooptie with 5k rims.

They choose universities like they choose cars, based on bling and puthy.  Nothing more, nothing less.

which is why they need help.  but when they look for help they end up with fat walt.

Online The Red Death

• Harnessing the spirit of John Robert Starr since 2005
  • Boar
« Reply #626 on: February 05, 2012, 06:40:01 PM »
You really think most 18 year old kids make wise choices on cars if it was up to them?  They probably SHOULD be choosing a dodge caravan, but will end up with a  hooptie with 5k rims.

They choose universities like they choose cars, based on bling and puthy.  Nothing more, nothing less.
This is the most profound comment about recruiting ever.  The problem is most of these kids get zero guidance.  The Beckhams were a 100% improvement over dgb's biological mother but are complete shitforbrains themselves.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job

Offline aNiMaL

• Selling The Drama daily
  • Administrator
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #627 on: February 05, 2012, 08:00:15 PM »

You say that like its a bad thing.

I agree the catfish hole is a nice novelty but maybe there needs to be something else to focus on, right now our fans are our key selling point and this staff has really welcomed the fans and students a real chance to participate in this process. When the new facilities are built maybe that will end up being the sell. I don't know what goes on during these official visits but the way our media covers them it sounds like a carbon copy each time and I'm not sure that consistency is a good thing...might need to shake it up a bit and try new things is all I'm saying. Messican might be a good choice...
And so it was that later
As the miller told his tale
That her face, at first just ghostly,
Turned a whiter shade of pale

Offline KSHogg

• Music Man
  • King of the Hogs
  • Mobile spray tanner
« Reply #628 on: February 05, 2012, 09:03:46 PM »
. Messican might be a good choice...

Or maybe someone could build a Chinese buffet up there!
Still runnin' against the wind

Offline aNiMaL

• Selling The Drama daily
  • Administrator
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #629 on: February 05, 2012, 09:05:32 PM »
Or maybe someone could build a Chinese buffet up there!

Is it illegal to eat sushi off Nekkid girls?
And so it was that later
As the miller told his tale
That her face, at first just ghostly,
Turned a whiter shade of pale

Offline littlerayofsunshine

• Wild Hog
  • Bitches, rub your titties if you love Big Poppa...
« Reply #630 on: February 05, 2012, 09:13:27 PM »
Hooters!
"A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism."  - Carl Sagan

Offline KSHogg

• Music Man
  • King of the Hogs
  • Mobile spray tanner
« Reply #631 on: February 05, 2012, 09:34:29 PM »
Is it illegal to eat sushi off Nekkid girls?

Nekkid girls and raw fish.

:hmmm:  overpowering!
Still runnin' against the wind

Online hogsrunwild

• King of the Hogs
  • Yes, it is
« Reply #632 on: February 06, 2012, 01:08:55 AM »
Nekkid girls and raw fish.

:hmmm:  overpowering!

You have probably never done this...

I won't say it is awesome, but it is something that every man that has the chance to do, should do.  Not sure what type of training they get, but the girl never moved a fricking muscle.  I thought she was fake at first.

If that aMm will get recruits, we should arrange that right the frick away. 

Quote from: Animal Chin on Today at 07:38:32 PM
Also, I want to have sex in and around your mouth. Please tell me you're in central Arkansas so we can meet up.  I'm not hard to find.

Offline Count Porkula

• Mayor
  • King of the Hogs
  • frick Him!
« Reply #633 on: February 06, 2012, 01:40:29 AM »
on the food front - Sassy's is doing more and more stuff for the football team and already does a ton for the basketball team.  i think the usual suspects are on their way out.  just another by product of the Frank era which is slowly dying.
Resonance...metal folding chairs or hard tile floors cannot be beaten when it comes to firing off a loud fart.

Offline Hognarok

• Tush Hog
  • Port Tobacco carriage maker
« Reply #634 on: February 06, 2012, 09:19:50 AM »
We can feed them steak and lobster, but we choose catfish and hush puppies.  I don't know the answer, but this just doesn't sound right.

Not sure I agree or disagree with the tactic but I do know, from having heard the interviews with recruits, that steak is the meal that most of them are served at the Catfish Hole.

Online Mike Slive

• Boar
« Reply #635 on: February 06, 2012, 09:39:12 AM »
Not sure I agree or disagree with the tactic but I do know, from having heard the interviews with recruits, that steak is the meal that most of them are served at the Catfish Hole.

AYFSM? 

Online WORD

• Happy-go-lucky Irishman
  • Tush Hog
  • Beauty lies in the hands of the beerholder
« Reply #636 on: February 06, 2012, 11:46:37 AM »
so were serving steaks at a catfish shack. great, just great. so many better places to eat in NWA, and it's not even close. aMm, BMFP needs to read the where to eat in fayetteville thread. you know he's one of us.
God made yeast, as well as dough, and loves fermentation just as dearly as he loves vegetation. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline porkaholics anonymous

• A Shoat
  • no thanks
« Reply #637 on: February 06, 2012, 01:00:39 PM »
Alabama has 12 of the ESPNu top 150 commited. The rest of the West has 9.

I started a thread about recruiting after the Alabama game and was lambasted. I stand by what I wrote. Bobby Petrino is a GREAT coach but I've yet to see him assemble a staff that looks to be great recruiters. I understand that he doesn't like recruiting, but he needs to hire someone that does. Yeah, we have been in the mix for all this elite talent but our staff really struggles at closing.

We will whiff on DGB, Santos, Peters, Diamond, Goodman, and Gardner. There is no way to positively spin that.

I agree 100%

I hope I am wrong.

Online Tusk till Dawn

• King of the Hogs
  • You're killing your father, Larry.
« Reply #638 on: February 06, 2012, 01:07:27 PM »
He called that play brotha!
Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night keeps TTD from his Hot Damn.

Online Dr. HawgLove

• That's Dr. Merkwerdichliebe to you
  • Boar
  • Just look at the big board.
« Reply #639 on: February 06, 2012, 01:38:08 PM »

That's like my kid ordering hamburgers at a good messican place.  You're doing it wrong. 
"God willing, we will prevail, in peace and freedom from fear, and in true health, through the purity and essence of our natural fluids."

"I think you're some kind of deviated prevert. I think general Ripper found out about your prevertion, and you were organizing some kind of mutiny of preverts."

"she's shitting quite a tail, there......."

Offline OneWhoAdores

• A Shoat
« Reply #640 on: February 06, 2012, 03:04:58 PM »
are they wrong alot?  much more so than they are right.

Not true.  Recruting rankings are significantly correlated to end of season rankings and wins.  Here's an abstract of just one paper: http://jse.sagepub.com/content/4/3/240.short

What else matters that recrootniks ignore
1. work ethic - do they work hard?  will they work hard in college or flame out because they are no longer the most athletically gifted person on the field?
2. has the kid peaked?  has he already fully physically matured?  does he have the potential to grow more, pack on muscle, etc.?  if the motherfricker looks 30, he's already as good as he's ever gonna be, which is probably equivalent to a serviceable backup or mediocre starter.
3. are they mentally mature and not go ape aMm the minute they move outta momma's house?  numerous top ranked recruits that never make the team due to grades or get kicked off before they ever significantly contribute due to arrests/character issues.
4. are they intelligent enough to grasp the complex schemes/plays/assignments of college football?  (does not apply to hooten dale recroots or positions like dt)

I admit that some of these variables explain the interim between recruiting ranking and how things go for the program in the long run, but how can you hold ANY of this against recruiting services?  How could Petrino evaluate this stuff either?  For that matter, how could the PLAYER HIMSELF know any of this stuff??

does having highly ranked classes regularly translate to being an elite program?  no.  notre dame, texas, florida, florida state, miami, and auburn can all attest to this the last couple of years...and next year for that matter.

The abstract linked above denies the spirit of what you're saying about highly ranked classes and elite programs (Starkville, common sense does, too).  But two other things:

(1) look at Utah State, Marshall, FIU, or name your aMm school.  They recruit like ass and they finish like ass in the standings.  You can pick all the outliers you want (there will be some overachievers and underachievers), but the general trend remains the same.

(2) Even if your point were worth anything, all it shows is that you can recruit like a badass and not make it.  That doesn't address whether you can recruit like ass and make it.  The schools I mentioned haven't.  The question is whether we can.

We do have, I think, a top 5 coach.  And that does give us some hope for thinking we could be one of the those overachievers.  But believing that does NOT mean recruiting rankings are 'worthless'.  There wouldn't be any reason to talk about Petrino's ability to coach up players UNLESS YOU ALREADY THOUGHT THERE WAS SOME SUBSTANCE TO THE RECRUITING EVALUATIONS (that, to make this as plain as possible, they're probably right we got less talent, but it doesn't matter because we actually have a coach). 
If you don't bleed Razorback Red, just take your bitch ass on home

Offline BigDavis

• Squirrel hater
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #641 on: February 06, 2012, 03:21:19 PM »
Not true.  Recruting rankings are significantly correlated to end of season rankings and wins.  Here's an abstract of just one paper: http://jse.sagepub.com/content/4/3/240.short

I admit that some of these variables explain the interim between recruiting ranking and how things go for the program in the long run, but how can you hold ANY of this against recruiting services?  How could Petrino evaluate this stuff either?  For that matter, how could the PLAYER HIMSELF know any of this stuff??

The abstract linked above denies the spirit of what you're saying about highly ranked classes and elite programs (Starkville, common sense does, too).  But two other things:

(1) look at Utah State, Marshall, FIU, or name your aMm school.  They recruit like ass and they finish like ass in the standings.  You can pick all the outliers you want (there will be some overachievers and underachievers), but the general trend remains the same.

(2) Even if your point were worth anything, all it shows is that you can recruit like a badass and not make it.  That doesn't address whether you can recruit like ass and make it.  The schools I mentioned haven't.  The question is whether we can.

We do have, I think, a top 5 coach.  And that does give us some hope for thinking we could be one of the those overachievers.  But believing that does NOT mean recruiting rankings are 'worthless'.  There wouldn't be any reason to talk about Petrino's ability to coach up players UNLESS YOU ALREADY THOUGHT THERE WAS SOME SUBSTANCE TO THE RECRUITING EVALUATIONS (that, to make this as plain as possible, they're probably right we got less talent, but it doesn't matter because we actually have a coach).

You would think if BMFP stays here long enough the blue chip recruits and or their coaches\parents would notice the trend of how much we win despite great recruiting rankings and how much NFL talent we have despite high recruiting rankings and pick us over one of those underachievers mentioned above. Every year I follow recruiting hoping to see that happen. But it hasn't yet.

Offline cooter

• Boar
« Reply #642 on: February 06, 2012, 04:30:42 PM »
You would think if BMFP stays here long enough the blue chip recruits and or their coaches\parents would notice the trend of how much we win despite great recruiting rankings and how much NFL talent we have despite high recruiting rankings and pick us over one of those underachievers mentioned above. Every year I follow recruiting hoping to see that happen. But it hasn't yet.

aMm like that doesn't happen overnight.  We haven't been relevant since the 80's so it will take BMFP + Winning to get those good recruits.  You can't tell me that Alabama or Oklahoma is a nicer place for a young man to live than Fayetteville.  It will take more than 2 years of winning which is basically where we are.

Offline Sliver72

• Doesn't roll on Shabbos.
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #643 on: February 06, 2012, 06:21:30 PM »
aMm like that doesn't happen overnight.  We haven't been relevant since the 80's so it will take BMFP + Winning to get those good recruits.  You can't tell me that Alabama or Oklahoma is a nicer place for a young man to live than Fayetteville.  It will take more than 2 years of winning which is basically where we are.
Patience, right? I agree with you. We are miles to the good from where we were four years ago. We are on our way. We don't have a seat at the table yet, but people are starting to notice that we are at the cookout. If there was only one thing Al Davis was spot on about, it was "Just win, baby."
...as for me and my house, we will call the Hogs.

Offline BASS

• The Philosophical Woopigga
  • Boar
« Reply #644 on: February 06, 2012, 10:22:38 PM »

there is a lot to recruiting a player that recrootniks don't look at or evaluate that BMFP does.  that's all it boils down to. 

every recruiting class needs to be coached up.  if not then Florida State, Notre Dame, Clemson, Auburn, and Texas A&M would have finished in the top 5 each of the last 5 or 6 years.  maybe their coaching staffs are so fricking stupid they cause more harm than if the recruits coached themselves, who knows. 

take a look at your average nfl roster, stocked full of kids from no-name colleges.  it aint because they turned down big-time programs.  its because big-time programs did not properly evaluate the recruits.  Starkville, willie roaf was just elected to the pro football hall of fame.  he played hs ball in arkansas and his biggest scholly offer was to UCA.

about 20% of the can't miss 5-star prospects never even get drafted, that's a pretty big fricking margin of error for "experts" that spend 40 hrs per week 50 weeks a year evaluating high school talent.

you want to win recruiting national championships of the world, go be a clemson or florida state fan and get the frick out.  there is more to winning than recruiting, and apparently BMFP and his staff kick the aMm out of every other coaching staff in the country when it comes to everything else.  no other staff consistently gains 30 spots in the re-rankings 4 years later.  John L Smith and BMFP recruited more players drafted into the NFL at Louisville than Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, etc. did during the same 4 year span and Louisville's highest recruiting ranking while they were there was about 29th. 

keep on being a dumbfuck, paying out your $9.95 a month to read a bunch of bullshit articles on rivals or whatever you hang your hat on, and believe whatever it is you believe.

Offline Hognarok

• Tush Hog
« Reply #645 on: February 07, 2012, 07:35:52 AM »
there is a lot to recruiting a player that recrootniks don't look at or evaluate that BMFP does.  that's all it boils down to. 

I've always been under the impression that Petrino recruits based on potential more than he does based on existing athletic ability.  In his presser the other day he kept mentioning how young the recruits were and I think that speaks to this mindset.  Rivals/Scout/etc. look at the player's athletic ability and talent level right now and how they did when lined up against high school opponents.  Petrino rates them based on what they are going to look like in two years when they have spent a few semesters on the practice field and in the weight room.

As far as Dorial Green-Beckham goes... I admit I wanted DGB, you wanted DGB, Petrino wanted DGB.  But considering what we know now, that DGB is playing for personal glory and not for championships, do you still want him playing for the Hogs?  Considering the slight family drama that followed his selection and the past experiences that Arkansas has had with players' parents would you really want him running through the A on Saturdays?  At the end of the day I just hope that he was seriously considering the Razorbacks at one point and wasn't just using the school as a decoy to create drama.  After all, he did stand in the crowd at BWA and call the Hogs.

For those that see the rankings and Arkansas' lack of "stars" let me ask you this, considering what we know about Michael Dyer now would you still want to see him playing for the Razorbacks?

Offline bigghurtt

• Sockpuppet of an angry god
  • King of the Hogs
Re: Re: Official 2012 Recruiting Class Thread
« Reply #646 on: February 07, 2012, 08:00:35 AM »
But considering what we know now, that DGB is playing for personal glory and not for championships, do you still want him playing for the Hogs?

Yes.  Absolutely.  100%.  OBVIOUSLY.

considering what we know about Michael Dyer now would you still want to see him playing for the Razorbacks?

I didn't want him then.  DGB's recruitment had basically nothing in common with Dyer's, other than not picking us, though.
This next post was made by a real dumbass.

Offline The Reverend Snoophogg

• Ask me about my givafuck. I promise you've never seen one more broken.
  • King of the Hogs
  • All the fricks that were once given have been lost.
« Reply #647 on: February 07, 2012, 12:27:19 PM »

every recruiting class needs to be coached up.  if not then Florida State, Notre Dame, Clemson, Auburn, and Texas A&M would have finished in the top 5 each of the last 5 or 6 years.  maybe their coaching staffs are so fricking stupid they cause more harm than if the recruits coached themselves, who knows. 

take a look at your average nfl roster, stocked full of kids from no-name colleges.  it aint

because they turned down big-time programs.  its because big-time programs did not properly evaluate the recruits.  Starkville, willie roaf was just elected to the pro football hall of fame.  he played hs ball in arkansas and his biggest scholly offer was to UCA.

about 20% of the can't miss 5-star prospects never even get drafted, that's a pretty big fricking margin of error for "experts" that spend 40 hrs per week 50 weeks a year evaluating high school talent.

you want to win recruiting national championships of the world, go be a clemson or florida state fan and get the frick out.  there is more to winning than recruiting, and apparently BMFP and his staff kick the aMm out of every other coaching staff in the country when it comes to everything
else.  no other staff consistently gains 30 spots in the re-rankings 4 years later.  John L Smith and BMFP recruited more players drafted into the NFL at Louisville than Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, etc. did during the same 4 year span and Louisville's highest recruiting ranking while they were there was about 29th. 

keep on being a dumbfuck, paying out your $9.95 a month to read a bunch of bullshit articles on rivals or whatever you hang your hat on, and believe whatever it is you believe.

^^^^^^^
all of this.

I didn't want him then.  DGB's recruitment had basically nothing in common with Dyer's, other than not picking us, though.

^^^^^^^
With a lot of this
mixed in.
Regular guy.

That's me.

Offline Hognarok

• Tush Hog
Re: Re: Official 2012 Recruiting Class Thread
« Reply #648 on: February 07, 2012, 01:14:40 PM »

I didn't intend to compare the two, sorry if that was the way it was read.  I threw Dyer's name out there because despite all of those stars, Petrino didn't really give two shits about recruiting him and its apparent to the rest of the college football world why that is now.  At the time Dyer was being recruited Petrino saw him for what he was, a 19 year old self-centered 5 star athlete 1 star human being who had already peaked in his senior year.  Its all down hill from here for Dyer. 

When it comes to football, Petrino is smarter than me, you, and every single one of those evaluators.  It's why he's making $Threeve million a year and they are making whatever the frick it is they get paid to assign 4 or 5 stars to every single player Alabama offers.

Offline cooter

• Boar
« Reply #649 on: February 07, 2012, 01:46:54 PM »
Here's a recruit for BMFP.

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/good-sports/201202/still-scarred-two-wars-american-hero-daniel-rodriquez-chases-his-football-dr

The nights are torturous for Daniel Rodriguez. Body twitching, mind racing, he's transported back in time long after the battle has ended. Once again he's surrounded by gunfire, a rocket-propelled-grenade flying past his helmet. He relives the devastating moment his best friend dropped to the ground, as a single bullet took his life. He can feel, smell, hear everything, until he is torn from his sleep, covered in a cold sweat.

The 24-year-old former Army infantryman calls them night terrors. They are brought on by post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and traumatic brain injury from an RPG attack in Iraq. And there's only one way he knows to cope every day.

"I just translate that into the gym," he says, "and into the weight room. And I force and funnel it all through when I play football. It just comes out."

The next battle for Rodriguez is nothing like the two wars he's been through. But he's motivated just the same. Every day is a grueling ritual of lifting weights, doing hundreds of push-ups, dips, sit-ups, pull-ups, running sprints and routes -- all in the memory of the band of brothers he lost. All in the hope to fulfill a promise to do something extraordinary with the rest of his life.

WOOPIG.NET   © 2014  Jackson Technologies

Page created in 0.546 seconds with 20 queries.