Welcome, Guest! Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Official 2012 Recruiting Class Thread  (Read 46973 times)

Offline TheOtherWhiteMeat

• Administrator
  • King of the Hogs
Official 2012 Recruiting Class Thread
« on: January 30, 2012, 09:05:16 AM »
May as well get it started.

Receiver officially commits

Monday, January 30, 2012

LITTLE ROCK — An oral commitment Arkansas received Wednesday from one of the nation’s top junior-college receivers was made public Sunday.

Demetrius Wilson, 6-3, 180, 4.4 seconds in the 40-yard dash, of Glendale, (Ariz.) Community College, chose the Razorbacks over about 10 other offers, including Tennessee, Arizona and Arizona State. He made an official visit to Fayetteville on the the weekend of Jan. 20-22 and was impressed with the Sam M. Walton College of Business and the football program.

Wilson is Arkansas’ 21st oral commitment, with national signing date arriving on Wednesday. Arkansas signed defensive end Austin Flynn, 6-4, 260, 4.47 of Wilmington (Calif.) Los Angeles Harbor Community College in December. Oral commitments are nonbinding.

“They’re doing excellent at graduating their students and that’s another good thing,” Wilson said. “And the football program that coach (Bobby) Petrino brings to Arkansas is just amazing.”

Wilson, who recorded 51 receptions for 927 yards and 10 touchdowns this past season, earned first-team all-Arizona Community College Athletic Conference honors.

Wilson, who made an official visit to Tennessee, said he considered other schools but the visit to Fayetteville sealed the deal for him.

“Once I took my visit and saw how nice the campus was and how all of the teammates were acting like family,” Wilson said. “That really caught my attention.”

Wilson also returned 22 punts for 289 yards and 1 touchdown this season.

Offline Death By Sooiecide

• King of the Hogs
Re: Official 2012 Recruiting Class Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 09:07:18 AM »
Bad news for Courtney Gardner.

Our "recruiting experts" don't know dick.

Online Rob

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 09:54:55 AM »
Bad news for Courtney Gardner.

Our "recruiting experts" don't know dick.

According to one of them, he was "let go Friday".  FSU backed off him as well.

Offline GuinnessHog

• ( . ) ( . )
  • Boar
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 10:00:52 AM »
According to one of them, he was "let go Friday".  FSU backed off him as well.

He are dumb?

Offline Hogeye_Pierce

• Tush Hog
  • Wink, wink, nudge, nudge
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 10:06:09 AM »
The 'Experts" are saying DGB to Mizzou now too.

Offline Phat_Hawg

• Has pulled more tail than a slow kid at a petting zoo
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 10:32:03 AM »
 :nazi:
The 'Experts" are saying DGB to Mizzou now too.

It would be great if we got this kid but if he decides to go to his home state school I can't blame him too much and am not going to lose any sleep over it.  One position I will never worry about with Petrino as coach is WR. 

Now if he he was a 5 star 300lb DT who runs a 4.8 then I might weep a little.
Homies help homes.......always

Offline Law_Hawg

• Placidly murderous giant
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 10:37:36 AM »
:nazi:
It would be great if we got this kid but if he decides to go to his home state school I can't blame him too much and am not going to lose any sleep over it.  One position I will never worry about with Petrino as coach is WR. 

Now if he he was a 5 star 300lb DT who runs a 4.8 then I might weep a little.

Yeah, it would be nice to land some highly-touted defensive players here at the end.  Are there even any left to land?  I guess I should keep up with this more closely. 

Green-Beckham would have been a great pickup, but at least he's playing a position where, at least on paper, we're pretty deep.

Caedite eos! Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.

Offline hogfan58

• Bret Bielema, cheese curds and frozen custard...you betcha!!
  • Boar
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 10:38:16 AM »
who are these "experts" you speak of?
I'm asking you as fans, don't give up on those players, don't give up on us, it's our program, it's the state of Alabama program...it's not one individuals program, so hang in there...

Offline Hogeye_Pierce

• Tush Hog
  • Wink, wink, nudge, nudge
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2012, 10:54:58 AM »
who are these "experts" you speak of?

ESpiN for one:

UPDATE: Texas continues to linger in its attempts to land the nation's top wide receiver, Dorial Green-Beckham (Sprinfield, Missouri/Hillcrest). But, the team's recent addition of another wide receiver, Daje Johnson, indicates where Texas believes their standing is with DGB.

Instead, a top two has emerged for Dorial Green Beckham. Arkansas and Missouri appear to have a 50/50 shot to land the 6-6 220-pound target.

"In some ways, Arkansas seems like the perfect fit for Green-Beckham," Stephen Spiewak of Maxpreps.com wrote. "He would be close to home and get to play right away for a team that can compete for a national championship next season.

Spiewak considers Missouri the favorite to acquire DGB.

"While Arkansas will be tempting, Missouri could win out by executing one of the biggest recruiting coups ever," he wrote. "With family all around the state, Columbia makes sense as a centrally located destination for Green-Beckham, even if Fayetteville is closer to Springfield. Not to mention, his last official visit was to Missouri, meaning Gary Pinkel and staff got the often critical last word."

Offline hogfan58

• Bret Bielema, cheese curds and frozen custard...you betcha!!
  • Boar
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2012, 10:56:00 AM »
frick
I'm asking you as fans, don't give up on those players, don't give up on us, it's our program, it's the state of Alabama program...it's not one individuals program, so hang in there...

Offline TC

• Boar
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2012, 11:00:48 AM »
"Biggest recruiting coups ever..."  Really?  A kid that decides to attend his home state's school that's been in the top 3 throughout the entire recruiting process, has family all over the state, and took his last visit there.

That's expert analysis there.   ::)

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2012, 11:11:53 AM »
Alabama has 12 of the ESPNu top 150 commited. The rest of the West has 9.

I started a thread about recruiting after the Alabama game and was lambasted. I stand by what I wrote. Bobby Petrino is a GREAT coach but I've yet to see him assemble a staff that looks to be great recruiters. I understand that he doesn't like recruiting, but he needs to hire someone that does. Yeah, we have been in the mix for all this elite talent but our staff really struggles at closing.

We will whiff on DGB, Santos, Peters, Diamond, Goodman, and Gardner. There is no way to positively spin that.

I hope I am wrong.

Offline Phat_Hawg

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2012, 11:14:42 AM »
Alabama has 12 of the ESPNu top 150 commited. The rest of the West has 9.

I started a thread about recruiting after the Alabama game and was lambasted. I stand by what I wrote. Bobby Petrino is a GREAT coach but I've yet to see him assemble a staff that looks to be great recruiters. I understand that he doesn't like recruiting, but he needs to hire someone that does. Yeah, we have been in the mix for all this elite talent but our staff really struggles at closing.

We will whiff on DGB, Santos, Peters, Diamond, Goodman, and Gardner. There is no way to positively spin that.

I hope I am wrong.

Please try not to be that guy.  It makes the rest of us Razorback fans look bad.

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2012, 11:18:00 AM »

Please try not to be that guy.  It makes the rest of us Razorback fans look bad.
That's what I don't get. Why?

I am not trying to be "that guy". I am just suggesting that as awesome as BMFP is, he might could do well to get some recruiters on this staff.

We obviously want DGB, Neal, Diamond, Peters, Orijke, Santos, and Garnder. Starkville, we even get them to campus. We had an incredible recruiting extravaganza lat week filled with pep rallies, 19,050 fans at BWA and TulsaPerv stalking recruits at The Catfish Hole and nary a one commitment has come from it.

Surely I am not the only one who sees this.

Offline Phat_Hawg

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2012, 11:25:34 AM »
That's what I don't get. Why?

I am not trying to be "that guy". I am just suggesting that as awesome as BMFP is, he might could do well to get some recruiters on this staff.

We obviously want DGB, Neal, Diamond, Peters, Orijke, Santos, and Garnder. Starkville, we even get them to campus. We had an incredible recruiting extravaganza lat week filled with pep rallies, 19,050 fans at BWA and TulsaPerv stalking recruits at The Catfish Hole and nary a one commitment has come from it.

Surely I am not the only one who sees this.

There are probably over 50 schools that want each one of those guys, only one school is going to get him.  In your way of thinking the other 49 schools are failures.

When you go for higher caliber players you run into more competition and are going to have fewer successes.

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2012, 11:29:34 AM »

There are probably over 50 schools that want each one of those guys, only one school is going to get him.  In your way of thinking the other 49 schools are failures.

When you go for higher caliber players you run into more competition and are going to have fewer successes.
I suppose that is true.

I also suppose that we all want to win a national championship. I don't think we have a staff that recruits well enough to do that. Yeah, we lost two games this past year but we were rather outclassed IMO. It wasn't anything we did on the field, it was 3 years of signing day catching up to us.

Has our recruiting improved since the new regime? Clearly.
Is our recruiting good enough for a national championship? Hardly.

Offline LashHog

• is not dead in East End
  • King of the Hogs
  • WooPig
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2012, 11:33:35 AM »
We haven't lost to a team outside the top 5 in what...2 or 3 years? I think our talent is doing ok. Everything thinks LSU is the aMm because of one great year. They get lucky every year and win on talent alone. We kicked their ass up and down the field in the 4th quarter last year and again in the 1st quarter this year. A couple of crazy punt returns and all of the sudden our team basically quits...and they are "outclassing" us.

You're not the only one who sees this...you're just one of the only ones stupid enough to care what a bunch of nerds rate some high school kids. I'll take a top 5 finish on the field over a top 5 finish in February any time.
It is better to be a human being dissatisfied than a pig satisfied; better to be Socrates dissatisfied than a fool satisfied.

Offline Phat_Hawg

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2012, 11:36:50 AM »
I suppose that is true.

I also suppose that we all want to win a national championship. I don't think we have a staff that recruits well enough to do that. Yeah, we lost two games this past year but we were rather outclassed IMO. It wasn't anything we did on the field, it was 3 years of signing day catching up to us.

Alabama and LSU have great years where everything comes together for them and it becomes doom and gloom for Arkansas.  Alabama has had great recruiting classes every year Saban has been there, do they win the National championship ever year?  Same for LSU.  These things come in cycles and just because these two teams have transcendent years doesn't mean they're going to win championships year after year after year.  Schedules are a big part, having a team of upperclassmen, injuries, etc have huge impacts on winning titles. 

Next year ARkansas has a ton coming back, our young offensive line will be much improved, our defense looks to be improved just going by the Cotton Bow, and maybe most importantly we get both Bama and LSU at home.

I'm as negative as they come and I think things are great, just relax and enjoy the ride that next few years is going to be.

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2012, 11:38:06 AM »

You're not the only one who sees this...you're just one of the only ones stupid enough to care what a bunch of nerds rate some high school kids.
I have never given two shits about stars or rankings of our guys. I mentioned Alabama and the ESPNu Top 150 because Arkansas was in on some of those kids. 

I care about if Arkansas offers a player and then who else has offered. We want the aforementioned.  It doesn't look like we will get them. It appears to be a trend that has apparently started in 2013 as well.

I don't care if DGB is a 2 or a 5 star. We rolled out the red carpet for him and it is board sentiment that this would be the most logical place for him. Doesn't appear that he will be coming. Yeah, I am disappointed.

Online Rob

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2012, 11:39:17 AM »
I tend to look at where the classes are re ranked...  Bobby's normally seem to do ok in that respect. 

Offline Phat_Hawg

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2012, 11:42:00 AM »

I don't care if DGB is a 2 or a 5 star. We rolled out the red carpet for him and it is board sentiment that this would be the most logical place for him. Doesn't appear that he will be coming. Yeah, I am disappointed.

Apparently Texas, Oklahoma, and Alabama aren't getting him either and I can promise they rolled out the red carpet for him as well.  Do those programs suck? 

Offline Hackfuck McDouche

• With a name like Hackfuck, it has to be Good
  • King of the Hogs
  • Can I have YOUR vote? And a hot dog?
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2012, 11:43:19 AM »
I understand that he doesn't like recruiting

You got a source on this, because it's pretty much the foundation of your argument and I think you're full of aMm on it.

Back up this assertion or pick something else to blather on about.

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2012, 11:43:28 AM »
Apparently Texas, Oklahoma, and Alabama aren't getting him either and I can promise they rolled out the red carpet for him as well.  Do those programs suck?
No they don't but Texas is taking Santos, OU is taking Gardner and Bama is taking Altee Tenpenny. Who did we get that was offered by those schools?

Offline Cobbler

• Wild Hog
  • Love that helmet!!
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2012, 11:45:03 AM »
I suppose that is true.

You'd fit in well with the Rivals crowd. Never seen a group of weeping gashes like they have over there. We had our best season in over 30 years and have improved each year since Petrino arrived, yet half that board seems ready to turn on him because his recruiting isn't living up to their own expectations.

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2012, 11:45:52 AM »
You got a source on this, because it's pretty much the foundation of your argument and I think you're full of aMm on it.

Back up this assertion or pick something else to blather on about.
Point taken. I don't. Pure speculation on my part.

I don't think it is the foundation of my argument though. My foundation is that it is of my opinion that our near misses in recruiting don't seem to be getting corrected and until they do we won't win a national championship.

WOOPIG.NET   © 2014  Jackson Technologies

Page created in 0.268 seconds with 21 queries.