Welcome, Guest! Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A Possible Non-conference Football Foe  (Read 13884 times)

Offline LashHog

• is not dead in East End
  • King of the Hogs
  • WooPig
Re: A Possible Non-conference Football Foe
« Reply #125 on: February 17, 2012, 02:53:44 PM »
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Yeah, why would it be a competitive disadvantage to pack up the entire football department and move it 200 miles? Which is the same process (though shorter distance) as packing it up and moving it to, say, Tuscaloosa, Baton Rouge, Gainesville, etc. I guess to some people away games aren't considered a competitive disadvantage.

Fortunately for us, it seems our AD and head coach do realize this and have the guts to start taking the steps to do something about it. I don't mind the high school stadium getting Ole Miss and the likes of Louisiana Monroe until the current contract expires, but after that, I hope that like every other school that used to do it they realize the tremendous waste of resources it is to play home games at an away location.
The same goes for you. I'm sure they "realize" much more about what it costs and what advantages or disadvantages come with it. Long and Petrino have done pretty much everything right so far, so if they choose to play two games in LR I'm gonna say there is a reason for it. When they choose to move the LSU game to fayetteville, clearly there is a reason for that as well.
It is better to be a human being dissatisfied than a pig satisfied; better to be Socrates dissatisfied than a fool satisfied.

Offline ocelot_ark

• Boar
« Reply #126 on: February 17, 2012, 03:37:35 PM »
We TRIED to schedule a game with Boise. They didn't want any part of us.

Offline The Cowboy Tiger

• Dirty Stanchez
  • King of the Hogs
  • Whiskery Poo
« Reply #127 on: February 17, 2012, 08:52:02 PM »

they knew that they'd get the tom cruise water-mic-in-the-face treatment.
I'm just a dark guy from a den of iniquity.

Don't go away mad.  Just go away.

Offline shithead

• Tush Hog
  • woopig.net
« Reply #128 on: February 17, 2012, 09:34:32 PM »
I don't mind moving the game to RRS so much, but this statement really shows how little Long knows about Razorback Football history.  Ask the coaches and players if they feel "competitively disadvantaged" when they play in Little Rock.

Jesus Christ, some of you fuckers can't comprehend English worth a aMm. Nobody said they feel competitively disadvantaged when they play in LR. What he said is, and I fricking QUOTE:

"it will prevent our team from a competitive disadvantage of traveling three straight weekends in the most crucial part..."

For fricks sake, if you're going to bitch about something at least be honest with regards to what you're bitching about.

Online TexZilla

• Boar
« Reply #129 on: February 18, 2012, 01:15:53 PM »
I'm in the camp that wishes WMS was no longer part of the schedule.  those folks should get with the Cotton Bowl and Tulane Stadium about having a Mexican minor league soccer tour or something.  Shitty stadiums from before the Korean War, at the earliest, do nothing for recruiting.

On the other hand, I think having the A&M game in Cowboys Stadium is a huge recruiting boon, and better than a home and home.  Being able to tell recruits they will get to play in JerryWorld every year is a big plus.

Offline Ty Webb

• Your uncle molests collies.
  • King of the Hogs
  • Hog football will win 6 in '14
« Reply #130 on: February 18, 2012, 01:32:19 PM »
Jesus Christ, some of you frickers can't comprehend English worth a aMm. Nobody said they feel competitively disadvantaged when they play in LR. What he said is, and I fricking QUOTE:

"it will prevent our team from a competitive disadvantage of traveling three straight weekends in the most crucial part..."

For fricks sake, if you're going to bitch about something at least be honest with regards to what you're bitching about.
Funny that it wasn't a 'competitive disadvantage' in '98, '00 or '08 when we had 2 road games prior to LSU in LR and beat the Corndogs every time (only other time it happened was '96 and we lost to LSU in LR then). Just say the truth: it's so we can get 20k more at one of our biggest games and we could bring in recruits to campus if necessary. Any other reason is BS.
Don't sell yourself short Judge, you're a tremendous slouch.

Offline shithead

• Tush Hog
  • woopig.net
« Reply #131 on: February 18, 2012, 01:58:15 PM »
Funny that it wasn't a 'competitive disadvantage' in '98, '00 or '08 when we had 2 road games prior to LSU in LR and beat the Corndogs every time (only other time it happened was '96 and we lost to LSU in LR then). Just say the truth: it's so we can get 20k more at one of our biggest games and we could bring in recruits to campus if necessary. Any other reason is BS.

1) I wasn't arguing the veracity of Long's position. I was pointing out that the previous poster completely misrepresented Long's position. Nothing more, nothing less.

2) Regarding Long's quote, I would argue that it IS a competitive disadvantage for us. We just happened to overcome it. You can't tell me LSU does not have an inherent advantage when the UA is traveling 3 weeks straight.

And the extra 20,000 seats doesn't hurt, either.

;D

Online Phat_Hawg

• Has pulled more tail than a slow kid at a petting zoo
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #132 on: February 18, 2012, 07:15:32 PM »
I still have my doubts about a sellout the day after thanksgiving.  They ought to keep it on Saturday.

Yeah, no way a possible match-up of top 5 teams sellout.  Only LSU has the type of quality program to consistently sell-out a day after Thanksgiving game. 
Homies help homes.......always

Offline Sweet River Baines

• Tush Hog
« Reply #133 on: February 18, 2012, 07:55:35 PM »
Yeah, no way a possible match-up of top 5 teams sellout.  Only LSU has the type of quality program to consistently sell-out a day after Thanksgiving game.

The USC-e game between two top 10 teams last season wasn't a sell-out.
"The racing fans in Hot Springs are the best in the world. I love that." Trainer Ken McPeek

"You just gotta keep living man, l-i-v-i-n"- Wooderson

Offline Ty Webb

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #134 on: February 18, 2012, 08:36:20 PM »
Sure a top 5 matchup that late in the season is an easy sell.  Now if we would happen to lose to (God forbid), Bama and USC-e, then it will be a little harder to fill up the place. The Bama game, with ESPiN Gameday in town, will still have a larger crowd.

Online Phat_Hawg

• Has pulled more tail than a slow kid at a petting zoo
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #135 on: February 18, 2012, 11:06:00 PM »
The USC-e game between two top 10 teams last season wasn't a sell-out.

That's what I'm saying, we suck as a program.  We seriously need to lower expectations around here.
Homies help homes.......always

Offline cooter

• Boar
« Reply #136 on: February 19, 2012, 12:07:49 AM »
That's what I'm saying, we suck as a program.  We seriously need to lower expectations around here.

Bazinga??

Offline Pumpkin Escobar

• Rocky Mountain High
  • King of the Hogs
  • An image of excellence.
« Reply #137 on: February 19, 2012, 12:31:52 AM »

I get the feeling that some would be ok if we moved to the Big East and played all our home games at Waste Management.
An té nach leigheasann im nó uisce beatha, ní aon leigheas ar.

Tiocfaidh ár lá! Éireann go brách!

Offline Sliver72

• Doesn't roll on Shabbos.
  • Boar
« Reply #138 on: February 19, 2012, 08:31:42 AM »

I get the feeling that some would be ok if we moved to the Big East and played all our home games at Waste Management.
What is this "big east" that you speak of and do we have an invite to join?
...as for me and my house, we will call the Hogs.

Offline Ty Webb

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #139 on: February 19, 2012, 09:07:21 AM »
We've been nationally relevant as a program into November 4 times in the last 30+ years. We've never won the SEC and we haven't beaten Bama in the last 5 games. So yeah, to most of the country we do suck as a program.

Can we change that perception? Sure. Can we run the table this year and have that 1 magical season like Auburn did in '10? It could happen. Realisticly, we could also go 9-3 this year.

High expectations are great. I understand the team and fans must have them. Just because someone points out what is realistic doesn't mean they don't have the same aspirations as the idiots who think 100% that we are gonna go 14-0 this year.

Online flash23

• A Shoat
« Reply #140 on: February 19, 2012, 10:28:37 AM »
Got a source a link for that? Not that I don't believe you, but my girlfriend's grandpa is a huge Boise fan and likes to talk aMm a lot. He thinks they'd walk through the SEC easily.

Online Mike Slive

• Boar
« Reply #141 on: February 19, 2012, 10:48:50 AM »
Got a source a link for that? Not that I don't believe you, but my girlfriend's grandpa is a huge Boise fan and likes to talk aMm a lot. He thinks they'd walk through the SEC easily.

Your girlfriend's grandpa is a rutard? That sucks dude.

Offline Pumpkin Escobar

• Rocky Mountain High
  • King of the Hogs
  • An image of excellence.
« Reply #142 on: February 19, 2012, 01:11:06 PM »
What is this "big east" that you speak of and do we have an invite to join?

Only the most awesome conference evah. We could only wish for an invite cause we're lil ole arkysaw.
An té nach leigheasann im nó uisce beatha, ní aon leigheas ar.

Tiocfaidh ár lá! Éireann go brách!

Online flash23

• A Shoat
« Reply #143 on: February 19, 2012, 01:32:43 PM »
Your girlfriend's grandpa is a rutard? That sucks dude.
It sure does. He hangs his hat on the Virginia Texh, Georgia, and Arizona State wins and polished them up like they just won a championship.

Offline Hardpork

• Wild Hog
« Reply #144 on: February 19, 2012, 05:50:30 PM »
Texas A&M to host Arkansas in 2012

The Texas A&M Aggies will host the Arkansas Razorbacks in 2012, A&M athletics director Bill Byrne said on Saturday.

The schools will meet at Kyle Field on Sept. 29, 2012 and then play at Arkansas in 2013. In 2014, the game will return to Cowboys Stadium in Arlington.

Arkansas and Texas A&M first met at Cowboys Stadium in 2009 in a series that was dubbed the “Southwest Classic.” The Razorbacks won all three games: 47-19 (2009), 24-17 (2010) and 42-38 (2011).

The two teams signed a 10-year contract to play the game in Arlington when Texas A&M was still a member of the Texas League. With the Aggies entering the SEC in 2012, they wanted to move the game back to the campuses.

Arkansas opens the 2012 season on Sept. 1 at home against Jacksonville State while Texas A&M travels to face Louisiana Tech in Shreveport on Aug. 30.

http://www.fbschedules.com/2012/02/texas-am-host-arkansas-2012/

Offline uagrad89

• Boar
« Reply #145 on: February 19, 2012, 11:31:09 PM »

Link???

Offline ArkGuy

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #146 on: February 20, 2012, 12:29:45 AM »
We've been nationally relevant as a program into November 4 times in the last 30+ years. We've never won the SEC and we haven't beaten Bama in the last 5 games. So yeah, to most of the country we do suck as a program.

Let's see, even assuming being ranked in November with two loses is not "nationally releveant" (1981, '87), this is within the last 30 seasons (1982-2011:

2011 - 10-1 going into LSU
2010 - BCS Bowl
2006 - beat Fla in Dec. and maybe play in NC game, definitely BCS
1998 - Undefeated entering November
1989 - 10-1 regular season, Top Ten ranking in November
1988 - Undefeated prior to November 26
1986 - Ranked #10 and 7-1 on November 7
1985 - 10-2, never ranked worse than #14 ANY week of the season, was 8-1 and #9 on Nov. 16
1982 - 8-1 and #9 going into Nov. 13 infamous tie with #2 SMU

If "30+" includes 35 years, then '77, '78, and '79 have to be included (30 wins).
"As the leader of all illegal activities in Casablanca, I am an influential and respected man."

Offline Hardpork

• Wild Hog
« Reply #147 on: February 20, 2012, 10:26:39 AM »
Maybe he meant in the National Championship hunt.  We've been there in November four times in the last 30 years.
1988, 1998, 2006, 2011

Offline Ty Webb

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #148 on: February 20, 2012, 10:45:40 AM »
Maybe he meant in the National Championship hunt.  We've been there in November four times in the last 30 years.
1988, 1998, 2006, 2011
Thanks. That is what I meant but obviously didn't post correctly.

Offline sooie

• Wild Hog
  • The Force is strong with this one.
« Reply #149 on: February 21, 2012, 01:23:39 PM »

WOOPIG.NET   © 2014  Jackson Technologies

Page created in 0.269 seconds with 21 queries.