Welcome, Guest! Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A Possible Non-conference Football Foe  (Read 14387 times)

Offline wmr

• Locally Grown, 100% Organic
  • King of the Hogs
  • (.) (.)
Re: A Possible Non-conference Football Foe
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2012, 02:46:31 PM »
How about Texas Tech in Arlington, and lower the damned ticket prices.
LSU fans are tres gauche.

Offline Turd F.

• Token Coonass
  • Boar
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2012, 02:56:05 PM »

I'd rather play Okie Light. We already compete in recruiting and it would be a better win for us than Texas Tech. It's sort of weird that we don't ever play OU or OSU even occasionally and they're not that far away.

Offline Hogeye_Pierce

• Tush Hog
  • Wink, wink, nudge, nudge
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2012, 03:00:02 PM »
I'd rather play Okie Light. We already compete in recruiting and it would be a better win for us than Texas Tech. It's sort of weird that we don't ever play OU or OSU even occasionally and they're not that far away.

Used to play the Okie Aggies all the time until Jimmy J became their coach and they started beating us on a fairly regular basis. That would be a good one to pick up again.

Offline hogggdadi

• Tush Hog
  • I'm watching you on the pig. always
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2012, 03:01:24 PM »

It would be a lot more advantageous to play someone that is fairly close like OU or okie lite than an east coast team, unless they are going to Jerry world.  That way if you do a home/home there is a better possibility of going to the game, and travel isn't as bad for our boys.
You only have to be the best team today.

Offline DirkPiggler

• The Lyrical Jesse James
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2012, 03:25:11 PM »
Used to play the Okie Aggies all the time until Jimmy J became their coach and they started beating us on a fairly regular basis. That would be a good one to pick up again.

Except that Jimmy was 0-2 against his alma mater while at Oklahoma State. 

We stopped playing OSU because they got tired of being treated like a cupcake.  Arkansas and OSU played 27 times between 1950 and 1980, with 24 of those games taking place inside the state of Arkansas.  When they started demanding home-and-home series Frank correctly told them to frick off. 

Offline BoarlissWilliamson

• Boar
  • Infected with the brain eating amoeba since 2006
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2012, 03:50:45 PM »
I would love to see one of the service academies come to F'ville.

Whoever it is, I'm hoping we play in Jerryworld.  It's the best stadium, our fans travel well there, and it helps with recruiting Texas. 

Plus, I've made that trip every year and I want to go again.   :beer:

Wow, you really sound like an Arkansas fan.   :D 

Cheaper tickets would be nice though.  I had a friend who went to the TCU game played there this season and the tickets were 1/2 what they were for the SWC.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 03:56:34 PM by BoarlissWilliamson »

Offline wmr

• Locally Grown, 100% Organic
  • King of the Hogs
  • (.) (.)
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2012, 04:02:07 PM »
I've been to the SW Classic all three years.  I'll go whoever we play in Arlington because I always have a good time.

I think Texas Tech has a sorry fanbase, though, so I retract my previous statement.

Playing OSU there seems stupid since the campuses are only 3 hrs apart.

It would be nice to go to JerryWorld and not have already spent $300 before I walk in the gate.
LSU fans are tres gauche.

Offline Hogeye_Pierce

• Tush Hog
  • Wink, wink, nudge, nudge
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2012, 04:03:36 PM »
Except that Jimmy was 0-2 against his alma mater while at Oklahoma State. 

We stopped playing OSU because they got tired of being treated like a cupcake.  Arkansas and OSU played 27 times between 1950 and 1980, with 24 of those games taking place inside the state of Arkansas.  When they started demanding home-and-home series Frank correctly told them to frick off.

Didn't necessarily mean to imply that we quit BECAUSE of JJ. Can't blame OSU for wanting to play more of the games in Stillwater but we were still the big dogs back then. They are much more of a "name" nationally now and we are still trying to regain our national status. I just think it would be a good matchup for JerryWorld.

Offline cooter

• Boar
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2012, 04:04:50 PM »
Whoever it is, I'm hoping we play in Jerryworld.  It's the best stadium, our fans travel well there, and it helps with recruiting Texas. 

Plus, I've made that trip every year and I want to go again.   :beer:

Wow, you really sound like an Arkansas fan.   :D 

Cheaper tickets would be nice though.  I had a friend who went to the TCU game played there this season and the tickets were 1/2 what they were for the SWC.

Personally I am against anymore big boys.  We've got plenty of them to get to the NC.  IF we are going to continue in Jerry World it unfortunately NEEDS to be a big name because it is the perfect place to have a showcase game.  How about Oklahoma in Jerry World?  Even if they are in a down year you still get respect for beating them and don't get dogged too bad if they beat you.  Okie light to me makes no sense because they aren't typically this good and aren't a "name", and they could beat us.

Offline BoarlissWilliamson

• Boar
  • Infected with the brain eating amoeba since 2006
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2012, 04:07:00 PM »
Personally I am against anymore big boys.  We've got plenty of them to get to the NC.  IF we are going to continue in Jerry World it unfortunately NEEDS to be a big name because it is the perfect place to have a showcase game.  How about Oklahoma in Jerry World?  Even if they are in a down year you still get respect for beating them and don't get dogged too bad if they beat you.  Okie light to me makes no sense because they aren't typically this good and aren't a "name", and they could beat us.

There are plenty of teams we could play in Jerryworld that aren't necessarily "Big Boys." 

Offline hogggdadi

• Tush Hog
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2012, 04:24:18 PM »

respectfully gonna disagree.  Last year, (& in prior 2 yrs) aTm was one of our non conference opponents.  We are still playing 8 conference games & they are taking someone's place.  If we don't play a big name, we will have a slightly weaker schedule.  We need 1 tough non conference game.  Tulsa will not cut it.  Even the hoot would man up & play a texass or USC-w.  I also do not like cupcake city up until the culture shock of playing Gump U.  Any respectable D1 team is fine with me.  Ga tech, Fl state, Houston, Air Force (at least somewhat) would be fine.  Doesn't need to be any kind of rent a win.  It would be interesting to find out if Texass asked us to delay or if we asked them.  I would love to punch them in the gunt.  The fan draw for a big non conference game is gonna be way better than any rent a win too.

Offline Arkansas Proud

• Admins be changing my title daily
  • King of the Hogs
  • The better half
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2012, 04:56:01 PM »
Because the stupid computers rely solely on numbers, the best team to schedule is a crappy team that you know is going to be a win, yet finish with a good record.

Someone like Houston last year.  Like we did with Boise in '00 or '02.  Like normally Troy, Tulsa, etc.

Any team like that will play us at home, not demand a return game, and will strengthen our SOS numbers.

What you don't want is a crappy team that's going 0-12.
"I completely agree." -- Stephen Coalboar on August 22, 2014 at 11:39 a.m.

Offline DirkPiggler

• The Lyrical Jesse James
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2012, 04:57:50 PM »
Didn't necessarily mean to imply that we quit BECAUSE of JJ. Can't blame OSU for wanting to play more of the games in Stillwater but we were still the big dogs back then. They are much more of a "name" nationally now and we are still trying to regain our national status. I just think it would be a good matchup for JerryWorld.

Agree 100%.  I'd love to see that game. 

I just never pass up an opportunity to be a smart ass. 

Offline chittlins

• Once got busy in a Burger King bathroom
  • Boar
  • It's a two sniff league
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2012, 05:23:26 PM »
Agree 100%.  I'd love to see that game. 

I just never pass up an opportunity to be a smart ass.

Yeah, I was like 'What" when I read his post. That was because They wanted to go home and home.

Offline RazorbackDad

• Wild Hog
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2012, 05:24:05 PM »
Whoever it is, I'm hoping we play in Jerryworld.  It's the best stadium, our fans travel well there, and it helps with recruiting

I've always thought the Southwest Classic name and game should continue.... Except now that A&M is out of the mix, Arkansas should rotate between old members of the SWC. 

I don't think any of those teams would want a long term series commitment (especially at the current ticket prices).  A&M was already getting buyers remorse over a 10 year deal.   But I bet the old SWC teams would like to at least play 1 game in Jerry World and could generate enough ticket sales for a 1-and-done scenario.  Besides, Tech, TCU, Houston, and Baylor would have been better teams on our schedule the last few years than the recent offerings.  Texas may not want to play and SMU and Rice may not be that strong, but overall it would be an interesting concept to get some or all of the old SWC matchups.

This type of setup would leave Arkansas with a decent "home" game against a mid-major team.  We'd maintain Texas exposure.  Ticket prices might be lowered.

By the time the classic ended, a new wave of conference alignment may have begun and the Classic would be over.

BTW.... I'm of the opinion that Arkansas doesn't need to significantly strengthen its schedule.  This past year proved that if Arkansas takes care of SEC business, then that will be all that is necessary.  However, there's a catch-22.... If they want to take care of SEC business, then the probably need to upgrade their schedule, but it doesn't have to be significant.

Offline ArkGuy

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2012, 06:29:01 PM »
respectfully gonna disagree.  Last year, (& in prior 2 yrs) aTm was one of our non conference opponents.  We are still playing 8 conference games & they are taking someone's place.  If we don't play a big name, we will have a slightly weaker schedule.  ...

You're right, I momentarily forgot that.  We definitely don't need to go from A$M plus three rent-a-wins to 4 rent-a-wins.  And since the SW Classic was really only half of a home game, we could go to a home and home with someone and still net out the 7.5 home games we have had the past few years.

But, I think we'd get the same benefit from playing a 9 game SEC: play ALL of your intra-division opponents each year (6 games), a rival from the other side every single year, and two games from the rest of the other division, rotating so that every six years you play each twice. 9 games.

"As the leader of all illegal activities in Casablanca, I am an influential and respected man."

Offline RazorbackDad

• Wild Hog
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2012, 07:30:50 PM »
respectfully gonna disagree.......

Kinder, gentler Woopig

Offline Rob

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2012, 09:05:39 PM »
Let's rotate Rice, SMU, Baylor and Texas Tech.

Offline cooter

• Boar
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2012, 09:13:37 PM »
Kinder, gentler Woopig

I don't think anyone has ever respectfully done anything to me, but I'll take it.  I also didn't factor in losing aTm in the weight of the schedule.  Probably do need to add a team of significance for that.  Maybe if we add Oklahoma to the game, they will come to the SEC WEST next.

Offline muslimsdonteatme

• Blasphemer
  • Administrator
  • Tush Hog
  • Thunderbolt of Flaming Wisdom
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2012, 09:16:09 PM »
Let's rotate Rice, SMU, Baylor and Texas Tech.

Let's not. 

Who are you people afraid of?  Let's take on every motherfricker in the country early.  Michigan, Nebraska, USC, whoever.  Bring 'em on.

We play the best of the best every year.  What's one more decent game?

Bring. 

Them.

On.

Offline hogggdadi

• Tush Hog
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2012, 09:24:08 PM »
Let's not. 

Who are you people afraid of?  Let's take on every motherfricker in the country early.  Michigan, Nebraska, USC, whoever.  Bring 'em on.

We play the best of the best every year.  What's one more decent game?

Bring. 

Them.

On.

I agree with this.   We will have to take care of business in the SEC-w, & if you ask BMFP, we didn't do it this year.  Beating good non conference teams helps with credibility.  We did have a good game against USC-e, but without the decent schedule, we won't get respect.  It only helps, & it gets more attention with the media.  No one cares about the scores when we play Troy, but everyone tunes in when we play a real team.  That is what will help with recruiting. 

Offline Big Sausage Pizza

• Bow Chicka Wow Wow
  • A Shoat
  • b00bs > n00bs
« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2012, 11:09:08 PM »
We played A$M plus three chumps for n/c games, lost twice, and still finished #5 in the country.  We bea LSU, we probably finish #2.  We don't have a strength of schedule problem.

This, Exactly.  The Longhorn part, not so much.

Hope we don't schedule:
Baylor, or any other school form the Big 12
Boise State
The Citadel

But, if they want to throw Arkansas State in there... I'd be fine with that chit. At least over the next few years anyhow.

Online hogsrunwild

• King of the Hogs
  • Yes, it is
« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2012, 12:35:02 AM »
Lets rotate Army, Air Force and Navy.  They would love it since that game would finance the rest of their season and the cadets/middies would freaking love to go.
Quote from: Animal Chin on Today at 07:38:32 PM
Also, I want to have sex in and around your mouth. Please tell me you're in central Arkansas so we can meet up.  I'm not hard to find.

Online Das Uberschwein

• Resident Drecksau
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2012, 01:42:03 AM »
I'm still for playing Missouri*. Twice per year.

______

*again, not officially an SEC team until the conclusion of the hazing period
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 10:40:13 AM by Das Uberschwein »
"I wake up every morning, and - you know - I brush my teeth with greatness, I comb my hair with greatness, and I strike a Heisman pose with greatness." --Sebastian Tretola

Online Thin Red Swine

• King of the Hogs
  • Busting down the door...
« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2012, 06:14:09 AM »
If we can't work something out with FSU, Rutgers or someone else who has an opening, Long should go to the SEC and ask them to open the purse strings.  The league could help pay the way out of a creampuff game of a BCS school that already has a full schedule.  The TV revenue can more than make up the payment.

Go after one of the following:

Iowa
Michigan St.
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Arizona St.
UCLA

Let's make a splash. 

I think it has to be the whole leg and not just pieces.

WOOPIG.NET   © 2014  Jackson Technologies

Page created in 0.271 seconds with 21 queries.