Welcome, Guest! Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "40 Minutes of Starkville" ESPNU, 8p.m. Official Thread  (Read 15730 times)

Offline TardMullettDaHawg

• Tush Hog
Re: "40 Minutes of Starkville" ESPNU, 8p.m. Official Thread
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2012, 09:54:40 PM »
i've watched that game, literally, 20 times.

I probably watched it 20 times in the first week after it was played.
Ka mate! Ka mate! Ka ora! Ka ora!

Offline born2BaHawg

• A Shoat
  • Eat more beans. Fart proudly.
« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2012, 10:04:12 PM »
For all the nasty stuff we've had to say about ESpin, I gotta say, that was one fine reminder of one of the best coaching successes in college basketball. I loved the little segment where the talking heads were predicting the winner of the NC game and said the "smarter" coach would win out. Says a lot about how Nolan was viewed by the national press as a black aberration who couldn't win against a better mind. I still don't blame him for his rants as the end neared. He was angry, and for good cause. What was it White said? "We would have hoped for a happy response so our (black) potential recruits would choose Arkansas"? What a dipshit. That they didn't hire Mike on the spot after 17 years of mentoring by Nolan pretty much says it all. Thank you, Baby Jesus, for hiring Jeff Long and running off White. Life is good, if you are a Hawg!
Hawgs who believe go to Hawg Heaven.
The rest are just the unwashed poor.

Offline KCHOGS

• Tush Hog
« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2012, 10:09:21 PM »
“As I always said I created a monster.  And so you have to feed the monster and sometimes you run out of food.  And if you run out of food too soon the monster will eat you.” – Nolan Richardson.

I watched this with my son and explained to him how I felt when I was his age.  I told him to always be proud of where he's from and who he is.  I then asked him if I (personally) was proud to be from Arkansas and he said "yes".  He knows I'm proud to be from Arkansas and he knows before all is said and done that I will retire there.  Everyday he walks downstairs and see's the framed newspapers "Top Hogs", "Tonights the Night", "Top o' The World".... and others.  He knows we are all Hog.

Sadly my DVR didn't record all of it (game before went over), but I'll watch it again.  Thank you Noland for being a Hog and making us proud tonight.

Offline Clark

• Putting my Kools out on your floor.
  • King of the Hogs
  • UPGRAYEDD. Two D's for a double dose of pimpin'.
« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2012, 10:13:15 PM »
For all the nasty stuff we've had to say about ESpin, I gotta say, that was one fine reminder of one of the best coaching successes in college basketball. I loved the little segment where the talking heads were predicting the winner of the NC game and said the "smarter" coach would win out. Says a lot about how Nolan was viewed by the national press as a black aberration who couldn't win against a better mind. I still don't blame him for his rants as the end neared. He was angry, and for good cause. What was it White said? "We would have hoped for a happy response so our (black) potential recruits would choose Arkansas"? What a dipshit. That they didn't hire Mike on the spot after 17 years of mentoring by Nolan pretty much says it all. Thank you, Baby Jesus, for hiring Jeff Long and running off White. Life is good, if you are a Hawg!
Mitch Albom. Know your sports, dude.

But don't forget Nolan bringing in Jennings, Gilbert, Hankins, et. al. He quit recruiting how he built the program. He signed the kids people bitched about him not signing (Keith Carter) and 'showed us'.
The iconic 'alien' is to us what we are to apes: small, pale, big headed, and with unfathomable technology. We even abduct them for medical experiments. Mind blown.
--Rage

Online Pumpkin Escobar

• Rocky Mountain High
  • King of the Hogs
  • An image of excellence.
« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2012, 10:21:42 PM »
I should've guessed it would be about discrimination instead of Arkansas basketball.  I'm so weary of that.

I'm going back to Smokey and the Bandit.

Why does someone who claims to be from Georgia and who claims to be a Georgia Tech grad give a gawddamn about the Hogs to begin with? frick off to some nerdy ass Tech board, dumas.
An té nach leigheasann im nó uisce beatha, ní aon leigheas ar.

Tiocfaidh ár lá! Éireann go brách!

Offline born2BaHawg

• A Shoat
  • Eat more beans. Fart proudly.
« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2012, 10:25:37 PM »
Mitch Albom. Know your sports, dude.

Really? You know who Mitch Albom is? Kudos to you, my sports junkie friend. I couldn't name a single commentator from that period, except for Dandy Dan doing Cowboys games and that greasy haired Jewish guy who had suitcases under his eyes (can't name him either. Jeez, getting old is hard to do.)
Hawgs who believe go to Hawg Heaven.
The rest are just the unwashed poor.

Offline Porkrinds

• Boar
« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2012, 10:37:54 PM »
Missed it. Need to download this pronto.

Online DRYANKNPULL

• Supersonic sleeping bag.
  • Administrator
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2012, 10:43:34 PM »
I was junior when we won.  There are no words that can express how awesome it was. We would not have done it without Rimac, Crawford and Dillard. Backups that would be studs on our current team.

Great job by ESPN.

Online Olive Branch Hog

• Tush Hog
« Reply #58 on: February 11, 2012, 11:20:33 PM »
As a fan, if you are not excited about the fact that our University is headed in the right direction then you can proceed to the nearest fire or go watch Smokey and the Bandit....but in less than one year, we have had our football and basketball program spotlighted.

To the administrators: Keep the name Bud Walton Arena if you must, but for frick's sake name the court Nolan Richardson.

This goes right to the woopig.net lexicon.

Heading to screen door now.

Offline Pee

• Tush Hog
« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2012, 12:08:51 AM »
For those of you who fell victim to the basketball game running long, ESPNU will be running "40 Minutes of Starkville" again at 11am on Sunday.

Offline clintcommander

• Take it easy... and if its easy, take it twice!
  • Tush Hog
« Reply #60 on: February 12, 2012, 01:17:32 AM »

Go watch Smokey and the Bandit, you puthy eater?
If we win, I'll light my dick on fire and slam my balls in a door on youtube, with a smile on my face.

Online HOGGLY WOGGLY

• pussy on the chain wax
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #61 on: February 12, 2012, 03:43:06 AM »
I just regret that couldn't have turned into a 2 hour special.

Looked like it was going to be , but they cut it.

Chris Bahn @cbahn
Director told me today #40minutesofhell was once two, 48-minute films. Could have been longer.

Offline chittlins

• Once got busy in a Burger King bathroom
  • Boar
  • It's a two sniff league
« Reply #62 on: February 12, 2012, 06:04:03 AM »

It was playing on Encore during the premiere.

That said, someone should punch his momma in the mouf, cause there ain't no way he came from Woopig's loins

Offline hogfan58

• Bret Bielema, cheese curds and frozen custard...you betcha!!
  • Boar
« Reply #63 on: February 12, 2012, 06:42:53 AM »
I remember the night we beat the Dukies. I was living in Houston at the time and was watching the game in my apt. As soon as the game was over, one of my cousin's husbands called me (who lives in SW Ark)...I think he got about 3 or 4 GD's out before he started crying. Think he was about 40 at the time. Of course, he has a still out in the woods, so that may have played a part in it, but you could HEAR the joy and pride in his voice. After he hung up, I just sorta sat back and let it sink in....

fricking national champions. made me cry as well. I was only in my 30's. And when BMFP wins one, I'll do it again. 
I'm asking you as fans, don't give up on those players, don't give up on us, it's our program, it's the state of Alabama program...it's not one individuals program, so hang in there...

Offline iNOVAhog

• Boar
  • woopig.net
« Reply #64 on: February 12, 2012, 07:14:35 AM »
I was disappointed that the cause of Nolan's demise wasn't mentioned.  As I recall, the Broyles administration fricked up J. Patte's and S. Adebayo's paper work which lead to four years of NCAA investigations.  Many of Nolan's players transferred.  Recruiting suffered.

If I was Nolan, I'd hate Frank's guts.

Offline Hogwildpigcrazy

• Tush Hog
« Reply #65 on: February 12, 2012, 07:30:38 AM »
On the U this morning at 11 am.
Our founding fathers would have been shooting by now.

Offline Hatchclan

• CBB, CMA, & CDVH = SUCCESS
  • A Shoat
« Reply #66 on: February 12, 2012, 08:11:40 AM »
I said it early and I'll say it again.  If you have a major issue with anything in that special, the problem may be you.  There really is nothing that one can argue with, factually. 

We all know who he was talking about too when he bitches in that press conference about how he knew he wasn't playing on the same field as some other coaches on campus.

If you think it irritated YOU on Woopig that fuckhead was getting 2 year passes and his ass kissed, how do you think it rubbed a guy who had actually played in the NFL and knew more about coaching football and basketball like Nolan?
I have not seen the special yet, but I do remember (almost painfully) the times. I was not happy with Nolan because I thought he let it interfere with his job. I was extremely unhappy with Broyles and his administration because of the obvious discrimination. Most of the people I was around at the time were pro-broyles because they were mostly racist and they couldn`t see past that.
That said.

I am very happy for Nolan and his staff to be recognized for their effort and strength. Also, I am pretty sure that CMA has/is using the experiences (good and bad, but that does NOT excuse the bad) to teach and coach these young men he is in charge of.
Beer has food value, but food has no beer value.

Offline PigPenner

• A Shoat
  • Mightier than the PigSworder.
« Reply #67 on: February 12, 2012, 08:32:11 AM »
As a fan, if you are not excited about the fact that our University is headed in the right direction then you can proceed to the nearest fire or go watch Smokey and the Bandit....but in less than one year, we have had our football and basketball program spotlighted.

To the administrators: Keep the name Bud Walton Arena if you must, but for frick's sake name the court Nolan Richardson.

And a sweet baseball special on ESPiN.

Offline TUSK_U

• Wild Hog
« Reply #68 on: February 12, 2012, 09:39:25 AM »
I probably watched it 20 times in the first week after it was played.

You gotta be THAT guy, don't you? The one-upper.

Offline bigghurtt

• An elder statesman of nonsense, if you will.
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #69 on: February 12, 2012, 10:11:47 AM »
You gotta be THAT guy, don't you? The one-upper.

I'm a two-upper.  Just sayin.
This next post was made by a real dumbass.

Offline ManBearHog

• A Shoat
« Reply #70 on: February 12, 2012, 10:14:26 AM »
As soon as the game was over, one of my cousin's husbands called me

So how many husbands does your cousin have?

Offline BASS

• The Philosophical Woopigga
  • Boar
« Reply #71 on: February 12, 2012, 10:43:24 AM »
i remember how we fell off the mountain top in '00 and '01, and being pissed about it.  i remember nolan's rants in press conferences that were aired on tv, and sportscenter, and everywhere else, and being embarrassed and pissed about it.  at the time and for years afterward i was glad nolan was fired because i thought it was time, that he had quit recruiting as hard as he did to bring in the studs he did in the late 80's and early 90's, and that after the public rants he deserved it. 

i was wrong.  i was naive, uninformed, and wrong.  i'm sorry nolan.  frick you broyles, white, and the arkansas media.

nolan needs his name on bud walton arena, not just the damn court.  yeah, bud walton gave the uofa half the money it needed to build it, but there would never have been a need or a cause without nolan - he's responsible for the other half of the money and every reason behind building it.  many stadiums and arenas have two names hyphenated on them and most of the people they were named after are not as important to those schools as nolan is to arkansas. 

Richardson-Walton Arena needs to be on all four sides of the outer facade above the entrances.  Put a big ass statue of Nolan under the glass atrium of the south entrance, not sure what pose to use, maybe the one of him kissing the national championship trophy, or that stoic father figure look he carried so often.  Name the court Yvonne Richardson Court after his daughter, or name it Mike Anderson court, he spent 17 years here going through much of the same aMm, biding his time, and the university turned their backs on him and basically said "frick You".  Yeah, we hired him back 10 years later, but it would be a nice way to offer up an everlasting apology. 

Offline GeoHogsGeo

• Woopig Poll
  • Boar
« Reply #72 on: February 12, 2012, 11:03:23 AM »
i remember how we fell off the mountain top in '00 and '01, and being pissed about it.  i remember nolan's rants in press conferences that were aired on tv, and sportscenter, and everywhere else, and being embarrassed and pissed about it.  at the time and for years afterward i was glad nolan was fired because i thought it was time, that he had quit recruiting as hard as he did to bring in the studs he did in the late 80's and early 90's, and that after the public rants he deserved it. 

i was wrong.  i was naive, uninformed, and wrong.  i'm sorry nolan.  frick you broyles, white, and the arkansas media.

nolan needs his name on bud walton arena, not just the damn court.  yeah, bud walton gave the uofa half the money it needed to build it, but there would never have been a need or a cause without nolan - he's responsible for the other half of the money and every reason behind building it.  many stadiums and arenas have two names hyphenated on them and most of the people they were named after are not as important to those schools as nolan is to arkansas. 

Richardson-Walton Arena needs to be on all four sides of the outer facade above the entrances.  Put a big ass statue of Nolan under the glass atrium of the south entrance, not sure what pose to use, maybe the one of him kissing the national championship trophy, or that stoic father figure look he carried so often.  Name the court Yvonne Richardson Court after his daughter, or name it Mike Anderson court, he spent 17 years here going through much of the same aMm, biding his time, and the university turned their backs on him and basically said "frick You".  Yeah, we hired him back 10 years later, but it would be a nice way to offer up an everlasting apology.

Naming the court after Yvonne isn't a bad idea and she was instrumental in talking Nolan into accepting the job (at least that is how it was portrayed.) so I wouldn't have a beef one way or the other....but we do need to do something to immortalize Nolan for what he did for our University and for the program.

If we built a statue, I would like for it to be a game shot....one of his typical stances that we saw all to often during a game:

Offline Humphrey BOARgart

• Boar
« Reply #73 on: February 12, 2012, 12:38:09 PM »
Naming the court after Yvonne isn't a bad idea and she was instrumental in talking Nolan into accepting the job (at least that is how it was portrayed.) so I wouldn't have a beef one way or the other....but we do need to do something to immortalize Nolan for what he did for our University and for the program.

If we built a statue, I would like for it to be a game shot....one of his typical stances that we saw all to often during a game:

Rename Leroy Pond and change the address of BWA to 7672 Nolan Richardson Drive.

Offline radioman

• Boar
« Reply #74 on: February 12, 2012, 01:20:44 PM »
at the time and for years afterward i was glad nolan was fired because i thought it was time, that he had quit recruiting as hard as he did to bring in the studs he did in the late 80's and early 90's, and that after the public rants he deserved it. 

I don't know if Nolan quit recruiting hard, but there is no doubt that after 95' or so that there was little talent coming in that was over 6'6".  To me, the failure to successfully recruit any quality players with height, is what led to the decline in the program in the latter Nolan years.  I believe it was during this period that Nolan said something along the lines, "I select players; I do not recruit them."  This statement did not sound very good, when balanced against the recruiting classes at the time. 

I thought the ESPN documentary was very fair to all parties.  I am happy that Nolan and the UofA have reconciled.  It is great that White and Broyles are gone because they didn't know how to help Nolan or how to help the football program by selecting a real coach.  I understand Nolan's anger at the many injustices in his life, but I also think that he had a lot of support in Arkansas and just needed to accentuate the positive and not be so dominated by any perceived negatives.

WOOPIG.NET   © 2014  Jackson Technologies

Page created in 0.948 seconds with 20 queries.