Welcome, Guest! Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "40 Minutes of Starkville" ESPNU, 8p.m. Official Thread  (Read 15663 times)

Offline Pumpkin Escobar

• Rocky Mountain High
  • King of the Hogs
  • An image of excellence.
Re: "40 Minutes of Starkville" ESPNU, 8p.m. Official Thread
« Reply #75 on: February 12, 2012, 01:29:51 PM »
Recruiting changed in the 90's as AAU coach/handler/street agent became the person to deal with instead of the high school coach. Red Boots didn't like dealing with those rascals and his hands were tied when it came to recruiting Juco's which was always a strength of his.
An té nach leigheasann im nó uisce beatha, ní aon leigheas ar.

Tiocfaidh ár lá! Éireann go brách!

Offline jsimp

• Tush Hog
« Reply #76 on: February 12, 2012, 01:36:13 PM »
Just watched it for the first time and I had chill bumps most of the show. I can't believe we were able to get Mike Anderson back here, that's going to help heal a lot of these wounds maybe. I can't believe that kid from Little Rock got sold on that snake oil salesmen from Kentucky. I can't help but feel Mike is on his way bringing this thing back.

Offline The Red Death

• Glitch fixer
  • Tush Hog
« Reply #77 on: February 12, 2012, 01:40:36 PM »
The bottom line is we had JJ Sullinger, ANDRE IGUOUDALA and Jonathan Modica coming in the year after Nolan was fired.  He was going to turn it around if given SUPPORT AND TIME THAT HE DESERVED.

Fired after a career spanning 17 years and unprecedented success.  Meanwhile, a dipshit gets a 2 year pass to continually suck.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."
George Carlin

Offline ElvisHog

• Where have you gone Walter Cronkite, and why have you been replaced by the likes of woopig.net?
  • Administrator
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #78 on: February 12, 2012, 01:42:10 PM »
Mitch Albom. Know your sports, dude.

But don't forget Nolan bringing in Jennings, Gilbert, Hankins, et. al. He quit recruiting how he built the program. He signed the kids people bitched about him not signing (Keith Carter) and 'showed us'.

That was my problem at the time. He reached the top of the mountain and then quit. But now I realize why he did. Like that guy said in the show, the pressure of fighting it all finally got to be too much. I remember him also saying that a black man didn't often get the podium like he had it after the national championship game, so he used it.

He said he didn't have to recruit...he could just select. His "selections" weren't that great. I also think he had a bit of the Nutt syndrome in that he wanted to be recognized more for developing the diamonds in the rough...but most of them stayed lumps of coal.

But...I'm over it all now. I'm just glad that things are repaired and we're all moving on. At least I hope we're all moving on.

Offline Razor B

• Tush Hog
« Reply #79 on: February 12, 2012, 03:45:12 PM »
I heard car horns going off all night in Fayetteville. I loved every minute of it and want that feeling again.

Offline MurleyGerson

• A Shoat
  • "I like me some pork"
« Reply #80 on: February 12, 2012, 04:04:52 PM »
I should've guessed it would be about discrimination instead of Arkansas basketball.  I'm so weary of that.

I'm going back to Smokey and the Bandit.

Obviously rumors were already abound by the time that reporter at the Kentucky post-game struck a nerve with coach. Nothing they love more than to find a chink in the armor, pounce, then sit back like lard-ass at the pie-eating contest and revel at the chaos created.

"Do you think your job's in jeopardy, coach?"  ;D

Proudly, what CNR accomplished was nothing short of phenomenal. However, 17 years is a long time. Had he continued on the same path I feel it would have delayed the inevitable. He was no longer the hungry contender with something to prove. He had grown weary of the monster and it was time, you could see it in his eyes.

I just wish it could have gone down differently, on his terms. Instead of the ugly sideshow it became. It pleases me that he still supports the razorbacks, and agree BWA should be renamed NRA. It is only right.

Offline jsimp

• Tush Hog
« Reply #81 on: February 12, 2012, 04:10:03 PM »

Obviously rumors were already abound by the time that reporter at the Kentucky post-game struck a nerve with coach. Nothing they love more than to find a chink in the armor, pounce, then sit back like lard-ass at the pie-eating contest and revel at the chaos created.

"Do you think your job's in jeopardy, coach?"  ;D

Proudly, what CNR accomplished was nothing short of phenomenal. However, 17 years is a long time. Had he continued on the same path I feel it would have delayed the inevitable. He was no longer the hungry contender with something to prove. He had grown weary of the monster and it was time, you could see it in his eyes.

I just wish it could have gone down differently, on his terms. Instead of the ugly sideshow it became. It pleases me that he still supports the razorbacks, and agree BWA should be renamed NRA. It is only right.

this is gay. not in a homosexual kind of way, but in a faggoty kind of way.

Offline SupaflyTNT

• A Shoat
« Reply #82 on: February 12, 2012, 04:29:24 PM »
Anyone know whether it will be replayed, and if so, can I get it on something other than the U?  Until later this week I am doomed to dish network and can't find anything on the search feature or on espin's website.

Offline oldhogfan

• Wild Hog
  • woopig.net
« Reply #83 on: February 12, 2012, 05:12:16 PM »
Anyone know whether it will be replayed, and if so, can I get it on something other than the U?  Until later this week I am doomed to dish network and can't find anything on the search feature or on espin's website.

Twit from Jeff Long today.

@jefflongUA @REPtheHOGS_116 "40 Minutes of Starkville" is on ESPN2 Tuesday at 11PM.

Offline muslimsdonteatme

• Thunderbolt of Flaming Wisdom
  • Administrator
  • Tush Hog
  • Thunderbolt of Flaming Wisdom

Offline Das Uberschwein

• Resident Drecksau
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #85 on: February 12, 2012, 07:36:52 PM »

@jefflongUA @REPtheHOGS_116 "40 Minutes of Starkville" is on ESPN2 Tuesday at 11PM.

:beer:

Offline DirkPiggler

• The Lyrical Jesse James
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #86 on: February 12, 2012, 08:45:29 PM »
The bottom line is we had JJ Sullinger, ANDRE IGUOUDALA and Jonathan Modica coming in the year after Nolan was fired.  He was going to turn it around if given SUPPORT AND TIME THAT HE DESERVED.

Fired after a career spanning 17 years and unprecedented success.  Meanwhile, a dipshit gets a 2 year pass to continually suck.

He might have turned things around, but it would have taken more than just another year and a whole lot more than what Nolan had coming in.  Igoudala would have been a great player for us, but he was a swing man.  Sullinger was a decent role player, but not a true guard.  Modica brought instant scoring ability but poor ball handling skills.  Also not really a guard.  Basically the Hogs would have had three decent to great swingmen and Satchell, Gomez and Carl Baker on the front line, with Charles Tatum being the only player on the roster even resembling a point guard. 

I love Nolan and regret supporting his dismissal back then, but to say that he had a talented roster coming back is revisionist history at best.  It was going to take at least one more top quality recruiting class to get us back to even being a definite tournament team.  I'm not sure Nolan had enough gas left in the tank at that point to have reversed the trend. 

Offline clintcommander

• Take it easy... and if its easy, take it twice!
  • Tush Hog
« Reply #87 on: February 12, 2012, 08:47:39 PM »
this is gay. not in a homosexual kind of way, but in a faggoty kind of way.

If we win, I'll light my dick on fire and slam my balls in a door on youtube, with a smile on my face.

Offline TardMullettDaHawg

• Tush Hog
« Reply #88 on: February 13, 2012, 06:27:54 AM »
Igoudala would have been a great player for us, but he was a swing man.  Sullinger was a decent role player, but not a true guard.  Modica brought instant scoring ability but poor ball handling skills.  Also not really a guard. 

There is no way to know if things would have been different, but perhaps without a big chunk of the fan base wanting to run off Coach Richardson maybe Emeka Okafor chooses us over UCONN?  That would have made a difference.
Ka mate! Ka mate! Ka ora! Ka ora!

Offline marine4ark

• Banished to Crapola
  • Tush Hog
« Reply #89 on: February 13, 2012, 07:44:07 AM »
It was a very balanced and well-done piece.  Did anyone notice it was done by "NASCAR" productions -- I found that odd but not that it mattered in the product's quality. 

White and JFB should be disappointed over their actions.  Nolan was no angel and there comes a time when even a wronged-man has to stop whining.  His beef with discrimination should have ended when he got one of the premier (IMO) jobs as the first black coach of a major program in the south. 

I wasn't there.  I don't know, and very few probably actually do, what the climate was.  I do know how JFB and the university shunned Nolan for so long made me wonder if there was some bitterness.  And perhaps some bitterness was justified.  I agree whole-heartedly with Nolan's sentiments that he wasn't treated as other coaches were (especially the reverend). 

Anyway, it's sad that we've been out of national title relevance in any sport other than track for 18 years.  Here's to healing and winning.     

Offline DirkPiggler

• The Lyrical Jesse James
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #90 on: February 13, 2012, 08:29:59 AM »
There is no way to know if things would have been different, but perhaps without a big chunk of the fan base wanting to run off Coach Richardson maybe Emeka Okafor chooses us over UCONN?  That would have made a difference.

Doubtful, for two reasons.  One, there wasn't nearly as much dissatisfaction outside of message boards when Okafor was being recruited.  Two, Nolan didn't feel the need to make an in-home visit with Okafor anyway, so it's hard to put the blame for his loss on the fans as opposed to the head coach. 

I hate being put in the position of pointing out Nolan's flaws which contributed to his downfall.  In my book he was forgiven long ago for anything he did to harm his career or the basketball program.  But just because we have forgiven him for these acts doesn't mean that they didn't occur. 

What kind of reaction do you all think we would have to Nolan today if we hadn't walked in the wilderness from 2003-2011?  Suppose John White had bled to death while jacking off with a cheese grater the week before Nolan's meltdown, and Frank had been able to hire whomever he wanted.  Bill Self was all but on a plane to come to the press conference when White put his grubby little dick grabbers all over the process.  Assuming Self had been hired and had the success that he's had at Illinois and Kansas since that time, would we still be so happy and gracious towards Nolan for his accomplishments?  I like to think we would, but something tells me a lot of the sentiment from the end of Nolan's tenure would remain. 

Offline Guardrail

• Tush Hog
« Reply #91 on: February 13, 2012, 08:42:35 AM »
The fact that the school finally faced its past to address its future and hiring Mike A. was a huge point for me. Remembering how bad Nolan's first teams were made me realize that where MA is with this team is a minor miracle. Yeah they suck on the road, but for crying out loud, its year one. If and when Mike can gets him some menz, it may come full circle. I like seeing Nolan in the stands at home games.
And those kids on the 94 team were some high flying ballers, too. It's still amazing seeing the highlights.   

Offline JDHog

• Lineman for the County
  • Administrator
  • Boar
  • King of the Jelly Dongs.
« Reply #92 on: February 13, 2012, 09:14:54 AM »
The fact that the school finally faced its past to address its future and hiring Mike A. was a huge point for me. Remembering how bad Nolan's first teams were made me realize that where MA is with this team is a minor miracle. Yeah they suck on the road, but for crying out loud, its year one. If and when Mike can gets him some menz, it may come full circle. I like seeing Nolan in the stands at home games.
And those kids on the 94 team were some high flying ballers, too. It's still amazing seeing the highlights.

100% agree with this post. 
I drive the main road.

Offline Death By Sooiecide

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #93 on: February 13, 2012, 10:29:42 AM »
One thing that stuck out to me was the talent level of some of the teams across the nation in the early 90s. UNLV was clearly loaded and one of the best teams ever, but those Duke and Kentucky teams were stacked as well.

Didn't Bama trot out Latrell Sprewell, Hollywood Robinson and Robert Horry all at once?

Early entry has hurt the game. I'd like to see a college baseball rule.

Offline hogfan58

• Bret Bielema, cheese curds and frozen custard...you betcha!!
  • Boar
« Reply #94 on: February 13, 2012, 10:48:18 AM »
One thing that stuck out to me was the talent level of some of the teams across the nation in the early 90s. UNLV was clearly loaded and one of the best teams ever, but those Duke and Kentucky teams were stacked as well.

Didn't Bama trot out Latrell Sprewell, Hollywood Robinson and Robert Horry all at once?

Early entry has hurt the game. I'd like to see a college baseball rule.

Those games in may/day era vs Bama were epic. The talent and skill level was off the chart. You are correct, early entry has killed the college game.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 10:59:32 AM by hogfan58 »
I'm asking you as fans, don't give up on those players, don't give up on us, it's our program, it's the state of Alabama program...it's not one individuals program, so hang in there...

Offline PorkSaladAnnie

• Tush Hog
« Reply #95 on: February 13, 2012, 11:06:27 AM »

I just wish it could have gone down differently, on his terms. Instead of the ugly sideshow it became.

It pleases me that he still supports the razorbacks.

Only while his protege Mike Anderson is the coach, if that ever ceases to be the case, Nolan will once again unleash his full hatred on the UA.
"Whether you're Black or White;
 Country, Redneck or Freak;
 Young or Old;
 From London, to Moscow or Memphis;
 Elvis Presley will still be the King of Rock & Roll."

Offline Sus-Scrofa

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #96 on: February 13, 2012, 11:08:30 AM »

DVR'ded

Online bakervscarrr

• puts honey on his pizza
  • Administrator
  • Boar
« Reply #97 on: February 13, 2012, 11:14:34 AM »
Only while his protege Mike Anderson is the coach, if that ever ceases to be the case, Nolan will once again unleash his full hatred on the UA.

Didn't he come back for the 15-year anniversary celebration?  When Pel was still here?

Offline Hackfuck McDouche

• With a name like Hackfuck, it has to be Good
  • King of the Hogs
  • Can I have YOUR vote? And a hot dog?
« Reply #98 on: February 13, 2012, 11:20:27 AM »

Surprising it took 4 pages to draw you in, racist.

Offline chittlins

• Once got busy in a Burger King bathroom
  • Boar
  • It's a two sniff league
« Reply #99 on: February 13, 2012, 11:22:45 AM »
Those games in may/day era vs Bama were epic. The talent and skill level was off the chart. You are correct, early entry has killed the college game.

Sadly nothing changed under the new agreement. At least nothing that I have seen. It should be out of high school, NFL rule or college baseball rule. Anything but one and done.

And yeah, he was rather supportive of Phail at tipoff club engagements and on the radio.

WOOPIG.NET   © 2014  Jackson Technologies

Page created in 0.284 seconds with 20 queries.