Welcome, Guest! Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Arkansas @ Tennessee on Wednesday 7pm central  (Read 7734 times)

Offline Sus-Scrofa

• King of the Hogs
Re: Arkansas @ Tennessee on Wednesday 7pm central
« Reply #150 on: February 15, 2012, 09:41:58 PM »
Kikko and his religion

Mickelson's insistance on leading the team in fouls.

Offline HogTuba

• Dirt City Hog
  • A Shoat
« Reply #151 on: February 15, 2012, 10:01:59 PM »
Madracus Wade just tweeted that "egos will kill a team." Hmmm

Could we have ONE YEAR where we don't have locker room bullshit?

Just one?

Please?
"A beautiful sense of anger, a fury full of pride."

Offline GeoHogsGeo

• Woopig Poll
  • Boar
« Reply #152 on: February 15, 2012, 11:21:17 PM »
“They played real hard. They played harder than that 89-40, right, Neal? One on my players told me. I don’t read your stuff; they tell me what you say. One of my freshmen told me that Neal McCready wrote that we were going to get beat 89-40. It wasn’t no 89-40."

Offline uagrad89

• Boar
« Reply #153 on: February 15, 2012, 11:57:03 PM »
I call bull aMm on this.

Was it Waithe who passed it?

It sucks, but I'm willing to give MMFA at least three years to get this aMm rolling.  I'm okay with our record so far and an NIT bid--while not ideal, obviously--is pretty fricking sweet considering we haven't sniffed the NCAA since Pel's first year.

Hopefully, our fanbase will give MMFA the same patience they gave BMFP

I like Mike a lot, but something isn't working. At least Petrino's team showed improvement throughout the year. Continuously coming out totally flat and getting blown out on the road is not an encouraging sign. It's not like we're just losing on the road, we're not even competitive. That's the thing that bothers me the most.

They still go on multiple minute scoring droughts, they still get outrebounded like we're 8th graders, they still give up way too many easy baskets, and they still can't defend the 3-point line. They've only got one player and that's Young - Mickelson shows flashes, but he's entirely too slow on defense. Madden is a train wreck. He can't score, can't defend, and is a turnover waiting for a place to happen on a lot of nights. I don't know what to think about Abron. Sometimes he just seems like he doesn't care. Scott can't finish. Nobles is okay but still turns the ball over too much. Wade is a hot shooter but he has trouble getting open sometimes (sound familiar? At least he plays defense, though).

I'm not saying anybody should go, by any stretch of the imagination. We're (mostly) better off than we have been in a long time. At least they defend the home court better than we have in a while. But I'd like to at least see some sign of life from these guys on the road. Sure, winning on the road is difficult, but they never even give themselves a chance because they're out of the game in the first 5 minutes.

We'll probably come out and dominate Florida on Saturday, which is what we all expect to happen. Are we young and inexperienced? Yeah. Do we lack any kind of post game? For the most part. Is that a reason to keep getting beat by 20 and scoring 15 fewer points per game on the road than we do at home? Maybe some of it, but I don't recall seeing a team that competed this poorly on the road. This isn't having some tough breaks or calls go against you. This is getting absolutely manhandled by teams that are 40 or more spots below you in the RPI. There has to be something else going on with these guys to explain the massive difference in performance. They aren't even remotely the same team away from Bud Walton.

Offline Eleventy-First Fumble

• What the fuck is a
  • Tush Hog
  • binders of women
« Reply #154 on: February 16, 2012, 12:12:55 AM »
They aren't even remotely the same team away from Bud Walton.
When you completely lack an inside presence for a solid 30 minutes a game, and you get our 15 second intervals of premature ejaculation, it'll happen.

Offline Snortingred1

• Tush Hog
  • Slightly above average common sense...slightly.
« Reply #155 on: February 16, 2012, 12:18:28 AM »
Seems like leadership is just about the most lacking element to me.  We can manage without a true post but that voice to rally the troops on the court just isn't there.
"What was it that Noam Chomsky said about BJ's?" -Zack Galifianakis

Offline hogsrunwild

• King of the Hogs
  • Yes, it is
« Reply #156 on: February 16, 2012, 02:36:32 AM »

I like Mike a lot, but something isn't working. At least Petrino's team showed improvement throughout the year. Continuously coming out totally flat and getting blown out on the road is not an encouraging sign. It's not like we're just losing on the road, we're not even competitive. That's the thing that bothers me the most.

They still go on multiple minute scoring droughts, they still get outrebounded like we're 8th graders, they still give up way too many easy baskets, and they still can't defend the 3-point line. They've only got one player and that's Young - Mickelson shows flashes, but he's entirely too slow on defense. Madden is a train wreck. He can't score, can't defend, and is a turnover waiting for a place to happen on a lot of nights. I don't know what to think about Abron. Sometimes he just seems like he doesn't care. Scott can't finish. Nobles is okay but still turns the ball over too much. Wade is a hot shooter but he has trouble getting open sometimes (sound familiar? At least he plays defense, though).

I'm not saying anybody should go, by any stretch of the imagination. We're (mostly) better off than we have been in a long time. At least they defend the home court better than we have in a while. But I'd like to at least see some sign of life from these guys on the road. Sure, winning on the road is difficult, but they never even give themselves a chance because they're out of the game in the first 5 minutes.

We'll probably come out and dominate Florida on Saturday, which is what we all expect to happen. Are we young and inexperienced? Yeah. Do we lack any kind of post game? For the most part. Is that a reason to keep getting beat by 20 and scoring 15 fewer points per game on the road than we do at home? Maybe some of it, but I don't recall seeing a team that competed this poorly on the road. This isn't having some tough breaks or calls go against you. This is getting absolutely manhandled by teams that are 40 or more spots below you in the RPI. There has to be something else going on with these guys to explain the massive difference in performance. They aren't even remotely the same team away from Bud Walton.

Something just isn't working... He hasn't even had ONE of his recruiting classes and not even a full year, but something he is doing isn't working.  Yeah.  His best post option going into the year gets hurt a couple of games in, but something just isn't working.  He is relying on true freshmen for the most part, but it is SOMETHING he is doing that isn't working.  Obviously he doesn't know how to get it done. Obviously he didn't build up Missouri into the team they are right now in just a few years.  He completely changed the culture there and built a monster, only to come take over a team that has been aMm for quite a few years.  He hasn't turned us around completely in less than one year, but SOMETHING he is doing just isn't working.

They can't win on the road, but neither can most of the SEC.  At least we are winning at home, which is something we haven't even been able to do in recent years.  Freshmen get tired their freshmen year.  They are boys, playing a man's game in college.  You can say other freshmen do well, but on those teams, they aren't playing nearly all the minutes without any support from upper-classmen.  We get most of our production from either true freshmen or some guy that was wearing football pads a few months ago.  Our only 'big' man is a freshman that looks like he has a freshman body.  I'll give him a year in a strength and conditioning program before I say he is too slow to play D.  He is only leading our team in blocks and is one of the leaders in the SEC.

I'll pass judgement at about this time next year or the year after that if we are in the same position.  Until then, I'll enjoy that we are a MUCH better team than I thought we would be and than we were just a few short years ago.

And about your bitching about 'always leaving guys wide open for the 3' complaints every time someone makes a 3 on us:

3-POINT FG PCT DEFENSE    G    3FGM    3FGA    Pct
1.    Arkansas    11    55    190    .289
2.    Alabama    11    54    181    .298
3.    Vanderbilt    10    58    189    .307
4.    Georgia    11    61    195    .313
5.    Kentucky    11    59    186    .317
6.    Tennessee    11    58    178    .326

Our lack of big men is killing us:
10.    LSU    11    387    35.2    422    38.4    -3.2
11.    South Carolina    11    326    29.6    373    33.9    -4.3
12.    Arkansas    11    336    30.5    419    38.1    -7.5

This was interesting:
TURNOVER MARGIN    G    Team    Avg.    Opponent    Avg.    Margin
1.    Arkansas    11    144    13.1    180    16.4    +3.27
2.    Florida    11    118    10.7    150    13.6    +2.91
3.    LSU    11    126    11.5    153    13.9    +2.45
4.    Georgia    11    106    9.6    129    11.7    +2.09
5.    Kentucky    11    106    9.6    120    10.9    +1.27

ASSIST/TURNOVER RATIO    G    Assist    Avg.    T-Over    Avg.    Ratio
6.    aMm    11    135    12.3    134    12.2    1.0
7.    Arkansas    11    133    12.1    144    13.1    0.9
8.    Alabama    11    132    12.0    155    14.1    0.9

It appears we are making turnovers, but causing more.  However, without a point guard to help turn those turnovers into assists, we don't get much production out of the turnovers we force.  The D is doing the job and causing them, we just aren't converting on the offensive end.

Right now, it seems they are running on fumes and the crowd at home gets them through.  On the road, they are just out of gas.  They way they are lagging getting back and overall, they just look exhausted.  That is what you get playing this style with only 8-9 players.  However, if they were playing any other style, we would have very few wins.  It is going to take time and if you can't see this team is improving, you are crazy.  It is just damn hard to win on the road in the SEC and refs do play a part as well.  Not the major part, but there is 0% chance those intentional fouls are intentional fouls at home.  Zero.  One of them gave UT a free 3 points.  When we got it down to 10 or 11 right after that, having it down to 8 or 7 might have made things a bit more interesting.  Who knows, but anyone that says the road/home ref difference doesn't make a difference doesn't watch much SEC basketball. 
Quote from: Animal Chin on Today at 07:38:32 PM
Also, I want to have sex in and around your mouth. Please tell me you're in central Arkansas so we can meet up.  I'm not hard to find.

Offline Death By Sooiecide

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #157 on: February 16, 2012, 06:52:47 AM »
Marquel Wade doesn't play basketball.

Online Show-Me Hog

• King of the Hogs
  • Yep
« Reply #158 on: February 16, 2012, 07:00:36 AM »

From the way they play on the court, the only one I would suspect of an ego is BJY...however, he's also the only one who would have earned it.

Offline Sus-Scrofa

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #159 on: February 16, 2012, 07:25:23 AM »
My expectations for the year have already been exceeded.  Everyone needs to chillax.  A full roster and a second year in the system with Powell in place will do wonders.  MA would have gotten coach of the year if he got these guys to the dance this year.  If your bar for a first year coach is coach of the year, you're being unreasonable.

Offline Jostlyn McCocksack

• Suck my cock I'll murder your family!!!-jacki mhoon
  • King of the Hogs
  • PWNED.
« Reply #160 on: February 16, 2012, 07:28:47 AM »
Unless Powell becomes a completely different person, I think powell is not the addition you believe he is...no defense and very temperamental on the offensive side of the ball
"Coaches who listen to fans often end up sitting with them."
Bobby Knight

Offline Trigger7672

• Boar
« Reply #161 on: February 16, 2012, 07:37:28 AM »
Unless Powell becomes a completely different person, I think powell is not the addition you believe he is...no defense and very temperamental on the offensive side of the ball

I'm guessing you didn't watch the games he played in this season. I know it wasn't against the best competition, but he had 19 points in 19 minutes and 20 points in 24 minutes (with 18 in the first half) in our first two games this season.

Offline flash23

• A Shoat
« Reply #162 on: February 16, 2012, 08:40:36 AM »
I think a lot of that was due to the previous coaching staff. According to some interviews before the season, Mike Anderson had him excited and motivated to play, something he even openly admitted in an interview with arkansassports360. We'd be a completely different team with him out there.

Offline aNiMaL

• Selling The Drama daily
  • Administrator
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #163 on: February 16, 2012, 09:02:05 AM »
Most of this stuff is just mental toughness and when we're feeling good and making shots all those other problems start to be minimized.

Low Post:

If the ball goes into Abron...it's getting shot even though the kid is shooting like 38% from the field. Much of the time Mickelson likes to dribble the ball on the baseline or even in the paint instead of making more of a text book post move. It seems like 3 out of 5 times when he puts the ball on the floor in those situations it's coming out as a turnover or a mad scramble on the floor for the ball. We saw Mickelson was very good last night facing the basket and not so much with his back to the basket. It's a process and most anyone paying attention to this kid wasn't expecting him to come out and be Keith Van Horn over night. Waithe has his moments but doesn't seem to be the same player he was starting to be before his injury, he just doesn't look involved in the flow of the game. Mitchell did all he could do last night, he's not 6-8 so expecting numbers from him conducive of that size is not realistic. He mainly did exactly what I was hoping we would get...some put backs, a few boards, maybe a steal here or there...and a body on defense. He hits the mark in most of those areas and if he were bb full time I think we would see a lot better bb player but he's a qb playing bb. He'll have his moments but don't expect the kid to win or take over games for us.

On to the guards/small forwards:

We don't have a true point guard on the roster. Nobles will never be a satisfactory point guard...he'll give us some points now and then but overall his game has hit it's ceiling IMO. Go back and look at most of Mike Anderson's better teams since he left Arkansas...he had good to great point guards. There is no Lee Mayberry, Corey Beck, Squeaky Johnson, or J.T. Tiller type of pg on this team. Scott as prior noted is an odd duck...he looks the part of a pretty nice piece of a puzzle and then he fricks it up by missing points I'd expect a 6th grader to make. His best asset is a rarely utilized mid-range game and the fact that the kid is active. Wade...perhaps the best supporting piece on the team is pretty much a one trick pony right now. He would be a bad ass on a team full of stars where he could camp out and catch and shoot all game but without the other mature talent around him he becomes the focal piece. I expect his game to continue to evolve so that's one silver lining for you in this ranting blather of words I'm putting together. Madden is even harder to figure out than Scott. Again the kid looks the part...he looks good getting off the bus. He looks like he could put on about 20 to 30lbs by his junior year, has a nice workable frame. I know there is talent somewhere in there and I don't know what it is with the kid. Perhaps the game is too big for him right now. He's a tiny town Arkansuk kid playing SEC college basketball and it's clear he might have been a touch overrated. I hate attaching that label to a freshman but I've had that vibe since the beginning of the season and it's never went away. He plays best when he's able to work off his familiarity with Mickelson. He might be one of those guys that really have the light come in in a couple years who knows.

And so it was that later
As the miller told his tale
That her face, at first just ghostly,
Turned a whiter shade of pale

Offline ArkGuy

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #164 on: February 16, 2012, 10:11:24 AM »
This thread seems to have a higher quality than usual post-game rants and counter-rants.
"As the leader of all illegal activities in Casablanca, I am an influential and respected man."

Online Law_Hawg

• Placidly murderous giant
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #165 on: February 16, 2012, 10:39:10 AM »
This thread seems to have a higher quality than usual post-game rants and counter-rants.

Board's hitting its stride late in the season.

We might just make the post-season ranting/raving tournament yet.

Caedite eos! Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.

Offline Sus-Scrofa

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #166 on: February 16, 2012, 10:53:00 AM »

Board's hitting its stride late in the season.

We might just make the post-season ranting/raving tournament yet.

I hope none of you frickers fudged on your transcript.  I'll be pissed off.

Offline Tusk till Dawn

• King of the Hogs
  • You're killing your father, Larry.
« Reply #167 on: February 16, 2012, 01:22:06 PM »

Ricky Scott?
Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night keeps TTD from his Hot Damn.

Offline Hogye West

• Tits
  • Tush Hog
  • He's Kent Dorfman! He's a legacy from Harrisburg
« Reply #168 on: February 16, 2012, 01:55:39 PM »
Ricky Scott?

My first assumption was Ju Nobles. Heard for a while he was egotistical
Who the frick are you and why are you worthy of my praise?

Blow it out your ass Howard.

Offline uagrad89

• Boar
« Reply #169 on: February 16, 2012, 03:42:13 PM »
fricking color dude called us Arkansas State. Mother fricker, WHAT??

Offline Arkansas Proud

• Admins be changing my title daily
  • King of the Hogs
  • The better half
« Reply #170 on: February 16, 2012, 09:36:34 PM »
My first assumption was Ju Nobles. Heard for a while he was egotistical

One of his comments earlier this season after he was player of the game (paraphrased) - This team knows I'm our leader out there.....

Well, I haven't seen anything that makes me think that the team knows he's the leader out there......

So you never know.   :hmmm:
"I completely agree." -- Stephen Coalboar on August 22, 2014 at 11:39 a.m.

Offline bigghurtt

• An elder statesman of nonsense, if you will.
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #171 on: February 16, 2012, 11:46:46 PM »

In 2009, Petrino's SECOND year, we were 0-4 on the road, including ass beatings by Ole Miss and Bama.  Petrino lost 8 of his first 9 road games at Arkansas, 4 of them by at least 13 points.  Mike's on his rough draft right now, we can let some participles dangle.

They're young, they're short-handed, they're a transitional group, they lack a post-up player, and they play off of emotion at home.  When that emotion isn't there, they simply don't have the goods to carry them over, and the youth starts to show.  They're not nearly as good as they are in Bud Walton, and not nearly as bad as they are everywhere else. 
This next post was made by a real dumbass.

Offline WPFM

• Administrator
  • King of the Hogs
  • greets apathy like an old friend
« Reply #172 on: February 16, 2012, 11:53:53 PM »
In 2009, Petrino's SECOND year, we were 0-4 on the road, including ass beatings by Ole Miss and Bama.  Petrino lost 8 of his first 9 road games at Arkansas, 4 of them by at least 13 points.  Mike's on his rough draft right now, we can let some participles dangle.

They're young, they're short-handed, they're a transitional group, they lack a post-up player, and they play off of emotion at home.  When that emotion isn't there, they simply don't have the goods to carry them over, and the youth starts to show.  They're not nearly as good as they are in Bud Walton, and not nearly as bad as they are everywhere else.

You're not allowed to change your avatar.  evar.
Ya'll ever tried to suck a dick for 20 minutes?  It isn't easy.

Offline uagrad89

• Boar
« Reply #173 on: February 17, 2012, 02:36:31 AM »
Marquel Wade doesn't play basketball.

Well, duh. I apologize for that one. I plead temporary - or at least semi-permanent - insanity. Screen door, fire, all that stuff.

As far as the stats, what you see on the floor and what is reflected on the stats sheet are not always the same thing. You also have to look at when things happen and patterns that develop to get the entire story.

But Hurtt hit it dead on. I've gotten frustrated with these last two games because we acted like we had nothing to play for in either one of them. Losing is one thing - getting humiliated by a team that you are better than is something else, and even shorthanded we're better than either Georgia or Tennessee. But again, Hurtt nailed it.

Okay, I'm turning over a new leaf. No more negative comments. From now on I'm Rick Schaeffer. Everything's just rosy, regardless of what happens the rest of the season.

WOOPIG.NET   © 2014  Jackson Technologies

Page created in 0.382 seconds with 20 queries.