Welcome, Guest! Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Tenn/Ark BBall in Memphis annually?  (Read 1896 times)

Offline chittlins

• Once got busy in a Burger King bathroom
  • Boar
  • It's a two sniff league
Tenn/Ark BBall in Memphis annually?
« on: February 14, 2012, 07:29:55 PM »
This will send Tigger High into a tizzy if it happens at the Forum:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2012/feb/13/vols-to-play-home-and-home-basketball-series/

"Martin has said he might be interested in exploring other options that would get the Vols exposure in Memphis, saying UT could discuss playing Arkansas in FedEx Forum or the convention center annually."

Offline Stephen Colboar

• King of the Hogs
Re: Tenn/Ark BBall in Memphis annually?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 07:55:13 PM »
If he wants to host us there, that's cool.

Our end of every conference game needs to be in Fayetteville.

Offline jsimp

• Tush Hog
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 07:57:33 PM »
he's not very smart is he?

Offline chittlins

• Boar
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 08:03:38 PM »
If he wants to host us there, that's cool.

Our end of every conference game needs to be in Fayetteville.

I'm all for playing that game there, around 8500 seats per team. They are going to increase the # of conference games, Fayetteville wouldn't lose number of conference games we already have and the conference slate will start earlier over semester break.

Offline Stephen Colboar

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 08:57:29 PM »
We have one of the most intimidating and toughest places to play in as a home venue.
You're nuts if you want to give that up to play in Mogadishu.

Offline likeupthisramp

• A Shoat
  • woopig.net
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 09:05:00 PM »
I'm all for playing that game there, around 8500 seats per team. They are going to increase the # of conference games, Fayetteville wouldn't lose number of conference games we already have and the conference slate will start earlier over semester break.
Holy aMm! We must play games there. Think about the traditions of Eastern Arkansas supporters bailing out the Ron Huery's and the Cory Becks. It's a 4-5 hour drive from Eastern Arkansas to NWA. We cannot start losing recruits to ASU if we don't play there. Starkville, they have an SEC bball coach already. We cannot afford to have a Phillip McKellar be stolen away!

Offline MurleyGerson

• A Shoat
  • "I like me some pork"
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 09:54:21 PM »
 There's a ton of hog fans in shelby county, its like an extension of Eastern Arkansas for christs' sake. Just as Calipari did, Pastner snubs the hogs for fear of losing recruits. Just as he wants to snub Tennessee.
   I can see Anderson jumping all over this if given the chance.  Good talent in the area. If this were to materialize Josh Pastner would absolutely aMm a miata
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 10:13:51 PM by MurleyGerson »

Offline chittlins

• Boar
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 10:36:48 PM »
I support games in Dallas for football, this is no different especially a late Dec game.

Offline radioman

• Boar
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 06:13:25 AM »

This isn't about whether you think Memphis is a nice place.   It is about playing in a county that often has more basketball talent than the state of Arkansas.   If it is worth it from a recruiting standpoint,  then it should be done.   I don't know whether it is, but I bet Mike Anderson does.

I support games in Dallas for football, this is no different especially a late Dec game.

Offline ocelot_ark

• Boar
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2012, 07:32:45 AM »
Holy aMm! We must play games there. Think about the traditions of Eastern Arkansas supporters bailing out the Ron Huery's and the Cory Becks. It's a 4-5 hour drive from Eastern Arkansas to NWA. We cannot start losing recruits to ASU if we don't play there. Starkville, they have an SEC bball coach already. We cannot afford to have a Phillip McKellar be stolen away!

Offline Too Big Pig

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2012, 07:34:40 AM »
Maybe we'd do better there than Alltel.

Offline raisinsnacks

• Optimist.
  • Boar
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2012, 08:22:27 AM »
he's not very smart is he?

Meh.

A game in Memphis against the home-state SEC team is a gift; between this and the Stokes recruitment, I'm not sure that Cuonzo isn't the baby Jesus. 
It's not YOURkansas, it's not MYkanasas, it's OURkansas. Go Razorbacks and also Razorbutts! Arakansas is the California of 2014!

Offline ArkGuy

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2012, 09:57:33 AM »
We have one of the most intimidating and toughest places to play in as a home venue.
You're nuts if you want to give that up to play in Mogadishu.
Come on, what could be more fair - play our road game with them in Tennessee and our "home" game against them in Tennessee.

/sarcasm

I can't begin to describe how stupid of an idea this is.  UTenn-UVa is a non-conference game.  Missouri-Illinoise is a non-conference game.  Nobody has the home court we do in the SEC except UK.  Heck yeah, Tennessee's coach doesn't want to play us in Fayetteville.  Screw him, come take your beating.

By the way, there's no guarantee we'll play Tennessee twice any year, much less most years.
"As the leader of all illegal activities in Casablanca, I am an influential and respected man."

Offline Stephen Colboar

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2012, 10:35:40 AM »
Come on, what could be more fair - play our road game with them in Tennessee and our "home" game against them in Tennessee.

/sarcasm

I can't begin to describe how stupid of an idea this is.  UTenn-UVa is a non-conference game.  Missouri-Illinoise is a non-conference game.  Nobody has the home court we do in the SEC except UK.  Heck yeah, Tennessee's coach doesn't want to play us in Fayetteville.  Screw him, come take your beating.

By the way, there's no guarantee we'll play Tennessee twice any year, much less most years.

umm... we won't play them twice in a year any time soon... unless one of those is in the SEC tourney.

This is beyond retarded.
Any perceived recruiting advantage is a complete wash compared to playing an SEC "home" game away from Walton every other year. Retarded.

Offline FayettenamHog

• wants you to go fuck yourself
  • King of the Hogs
  • Bielemania
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2012, 10:45:07 AM »
Yeah I'd be all for a non-conference game in Memphis against someone, but not a conference game.

Offline Hogye West

• Tits
  • Tush Hog
  • He's Kent Dorfman! He's a legacy from Harrisburg
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2012, 10:51:59 AM »
Undefeated at BWA and with a huge win over Florida this weekend would all but finish us out undefeated. I can't remember the last time where we went undefeated at RRS and BWA. Most coaches preach how you MUST win ALL your home games and I think both our coaches understand and succeed in. So the more home games we can have at BWA the better. It's dumb playing a conference game in Memphis. Tenn scared dawg
Who the frick are you and why are you worthy of my praise?

Blow it out your ass Howard.

Offline BigDMac

• Wild Hog
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2012, 11:34:05 AM »
This isn't about whether you think Memphis is a nice place.   It is about playing in a county that often has more basketball talent than the state of Arkansas.   If it is worth it from a financial recruiting standpoint,  then it should be done.   I don't know whether it is, but I bet Mike Anderson does.

Fixt.
All it takes is all you've got.

Offline radioman

• Boar
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2012, 01:16:59 PM »
Sure,  if getting better players isn't a way to increase revenue by winning more and creating ticket demand.   We certainly were doing much better when we had good Memphis players on the roster.  I won't cry, if we don't play in Memphis,  although it would be convenient for me.  Like the GSD, I trust our competent administration and coach to make the best decision.

Fixt.

Offline BigDMac

• Wild Hog
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2012, 04:19:03 PM »
I absolutely agree with you.  The point I was trying to make is that I'm sure we make X number of dollars playing games at the Bud, so I wonder if we would lose out on all that money playing games in the Forum?  I know Long knows recruiting is important, but he is also a big dollars and cents guy too.
All it takes is all you've got.

Offline Stephen Colboar

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2012, 04:55:34 PM »
We're not going to make money playing an SEC conference home game in Memphis.
That one game in Memphis would make a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of a fraction more difference, either way on getting any Memphis recruits.

Winning does far more, and BWA is our best chance for that, no matter who we play.

When Tennessee is home, they can take us where ever the Starkville they want. When we're the home team, you're coming to our house.

Offline radioman

• Boar
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2012, 10:10:56 PM »
I absolutely agree with you.  The point I was trying to make is that I'm sure we make X number of dollars playing games at the Bud, so I wonder if we would lose out on all that money playing games in the Forum?  I know Long knows recruiting is important, but he is also a big dollars and cents guy too.

How much is "all that money"?

WOOPIG.NET   © 2014  Jackson Technologies

Page created in 0.246 seconds with 21 queries.