Welcome, Guest! Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The recruitments of Khalfani Muhammad  (Read 1784 times)

Offline TardMullettDaHawg

• Tush Hog
The recruitments of Khalfani Muhammad
« on: March 02, 2012, 07:54:15 AM »
http://arkansas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1336419

What he did - how Muhammad convinced Arkansas, one of the top programs in the country, to give him an offer in a matter of minutes after discovering who he was - is one of the more amazing recruiting stories of the year.

Ka mate! Ka mate! Ka ora! Ka ora!

Offline Sliver72

• Doesn't roll on Shabbos.
  • King of the Hogs
Re: The recruitments of Khalfani Muhammad
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 08:09:10 AM »
Call me snakebitten, but after the last couple of recruiting classes, I have trouble believing ANYthing these kids say when it comes to their interests in schools. Especially the blue chips.
...as for me and my house, we will call the Hogs.

Offline Jose Papoopoo

• Boar
  • woopig.net
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 08:24:33 AM »
Call me snakebitten, but after the last couple of recruiting classes, I have trouble believing ANYthing these kids say when it comes to their interests in schools. Especially the blue chips.

I'm with you. Kind of sounds like its a game to this kid to see how many offers he can get.

Offline LashHog

• is not dead in East End
  • King of the Hogs
  • WooPig
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 08:46:26 AM »
That's a cool quote...but it doesn't mean too much considering it came from the arkansas writer who grew up in the state a hog fan. He might be slightly biased. Not that I disagree with him, but it's not like that's the opinion of Rivals.com.
It is better to be a human being dissatisfied than a pig satisfied; better to be Socrates dissatisfied than a fool satisfied.

Offline Law_Hawg

• Placidly murderous giant
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 09:01:07 AM »

I thought this was about some American kid heading off to join Al Qaeda when I saw the subject . . .

Caedite eos! Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.

Offline Merle_Hoggard

• Wild Hog
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 09:04:37 AM »
The kid reminds me of Darren Sproles.  We could use a guy like that. O0

Offline DarkHelmet

• Wild Hog
  • Stop your grinnin and drop your linen.
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 09:39:57 AM »

im feeling the same way. i used to grab the paper daily to check out davenports write ups, now i dont even bother b/c i assume we wont get any of these guys anyway. no point in getting excited.

Offline Law_Hawg

• Placidly murderous giant
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 09:51:27 AM »
im feeling the same way. i used to grab the paper daily to check out davenports write ups, now i dont even bother b/c i assume we wont get any of these guys anyway. no point in getting excited.

You have to bear in mind that the kid is going to say something positive about the school where the writer is from.  I noticed that a long time ago.  So, just remember, whatever good things he's telling Davenport about Arkansas, he's also saying those same good things to writers in Louisiana, Alabama, Texas, Tennessee, Mississippi, etc. covering the schools there who are recruiting the same kid.

Caedite eos! Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.

Offline Sliver72

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 09:54:48 AM »
What he did - how Muhammad convinced Arkansas, one of the top programs in the country, to give him an offer in a matter of minutes after discovering who he was - is one of the more amazing recruiting stories of the year.

See, that line made it sound like he was Barry Sanders' illegitimate love child or something. Like he had a pedigree that was from Hall of Fame caliber parentage. That article said nothing but "here's a talented kid that did the same thing that all talented kids do when they want to be recruited". So we didn't know who the frick he was. Big deal. If he's good and he wants to come play for the Hogs, GREAT! If not, then frick his Jimmy Sexton ass for using the UofA for leverage.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 10:01:23 AM by Sliver72 »

Offline Pork Soda

• ...Tapenade
  • Tush Hog
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 10:00:28 AM »
The one interesting thing about this kid is that he actively pursued UA to get an offer.  It shows that there was a latent interest from his end, and although it doesn't mean he'll sign with us, it does give evidence that kids around the country are starting to think of Arkansas when it comes to their recruiting.

Offline Sliver72

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2012, 10:02:36 AM »
The one interesting thing about this kid is that he actively pursued UA to get an offer.  It shows that there was a latent interest from his end, and although it doesn't mean he'll sign with us, it does give evidence that kids around the country are starting to think of Arkansas when it comes to their recruiting.
And this is a shitty way of looking at things. Sorry to say that, but that's still the Hootie mindset. Hooray for looking at us. frick that...I'll cheer when the kid SIGNS with us.

Offline LashHog

• King of the Hogs
  • WooPig
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2012, 10:09:51 AM »
And this is a shitty way of looking at things. Sorry to say that, but that's still the Hootie mindset. Hooray for looking at us. frick that...I'll cheer when the kid SIGNS with us.
WTF are you talking about? It's not a mindset..it's a fact. There are kids calling and asking for offers and that is, in fact, a sign of our national reputation growing.
It is better to be a human being dissatisfied than a pig satisfied; better to be Socrates dissatisfied than a fool satisfied.

Offline HogofWar

• Boar
  • Tits Out, Captain.
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2012, 10:12:11 AM »

Facebook!?! Do they not know we have dvd players now!?!

'Coach, I know you don't know much about me, so I sent you all my information on Facebook. Why don't you go check it out, and hopefully you'll like what you see and we can talk more in the future.'"

Offline Sliver72

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2012, 11:05:31 AM »
WTF are you talking about? It's not a mindset..it's a fact. There are kids calling and asking for offers and that is, in fact, a sign of our national reputation growing.
Ok, so let me clarify wtf I'm talking about.
In context of my original post in the thread and my post before this one, I was merely saying that it bothers me when some of us make it sound like we should be grateful or happy that the kid is jockeying for a schollie from us. That is all well and good and reflects well on our program. So in that aspect I agree with you. But the small issue that I have is when it seems like we are slipping back into that mentality of "it's just an honor to be nominated". If that makes any sense. To use the Oscars as an example, sure it's nice to be nominated for one, but if you don't win the prize, who cares? To further our theme of the movies here, I'll echo Mr. Connery's sentiments from "The Rock". You know which line I'm referring to.
Do I want the kid to play for the Razorbacks? Starkville yes I do. Do I want him to use his scholly from us to drum up interest from other programs? Not even a little bit.

Offline Pork Soda

• ...Tapenade
  • Tush Hog
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2012, 11:10:50 AM »

Bullshit.  I don't have a Hooty mindset.  I like when I see a legitimately well-recruited kid show an interest in Arkansas.  Nobody's cheering anything - merely pointing out the fact that this kid from outside the state came to the coaching staff and did what he needed to do to get his foot in the door.  He might pick somewhere else to sign for whatever reason 17-year-olds do, but it doesn't change the fact that he proactively contacted the coaches, sent them his game film, and subsequently received an offer to play football on scholarship.  When Dale was here, we had 5* blue-chippers from Arkansas not even seriously considering an offer from him.

Offline Stephen Colboar

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2012, 11:14:15 AM »
Ok, so let me clarify wtf I'm talking about.
In context of my original post in the thread and my post before this one, I was merely saying that it bothers me when some of us make it sound like we should be grateful or happy that the kid is jockeying for a schollie from us. That is all well and good and reflects well on our program. So in that aspect I agree with you. But the small issue that I have is when it seems like we are slipping back into that mentality of "it's just an honor to be nominated". If that makes any sense. To use the Oscars as an example, sure it's nice to be nominated for one, but if you don't win the prize, who cares? To further our theme of the movies here, I'll echo Mr. Connery's sentiments from "The Rock". You know which line I'm referring to.
Do I want the kid to play for the Razorbacks? Starkville yes I do. Do I want him to use his scholly from us to drum up interest from other programs? Not even a little bit.

Would you rather he pursue us, talk about interest in UA, taking visits, etc......  or....   not even give two fricks about lil' ol' arkiesaw?

Who gives a aMm what his true intentions are... this is run-of-the-mill recruiting stuff. I'd rather be in the game and lose than not be in the game at all. Things are on the up swing. It's okay to recognize that from time to time. That's not a "Hootie mindset."

Offline LashHog

• King of the Hogs
  • WooPig
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2012, 11:25:49 AM »
Bullshit.  I don't have a Hooty mindset.  I like when I see a legitimately well-recruited kid show an interest in Arkansas.  Nobody's cheering anything - merely pointing out the fact that this kid from outside the state came to the coaching staff and did what he needed to do to get his foot in the door.  He might pick somewhere else to sign for whatever reason 17-year-olds do, but it doesn't change the fact that he proactively contacted the coaches, sent them his game film, and subsequently received an offer to play football on scholarship.  When Dale was here, we had 5* blue-chippers from Arkansas not even seriously considering an offer from him.
When you really think about it...the only "hootie mindset" here is being worried about an 18 year old kid and whether he really likes us or not. You know....only wanting kids that want to be razorbacks and all that.

Offline SoldierSooie

• Tush Hog
  • We're Back!
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2012, 11:28:18 AM »
Smart kid. Got himself an offer from a sec school and the offers started rolling in.

Offline Sliver72

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2012, 12:32:40 PM »
When signing day rolls back around, I guess we can talk about it more; but right now it's really just a mute point. Whether he signs with Arkansas or not, you guys are right, and I agreed that it is a good thing that he is showing an interest in the Hogs. I guess really the situation this past recruiting class has left me so jaded that it raised too much skepticism in me before the kid even has stepped foot on campus. Admittedly, I was wrong for that.

My thoughts really were more along the lines of how bad I hated the fact that the coaches and staff (and players) got hoodwinked by the kid from Missouri. Even disregarding Duckman's gambit, there were a LOT of people who were sure and guaranteed that he was going to sign with Petrino. Am I alone in feeling that in some ways Arkansas looked like it ended up with a little egg on it's face regarding the kid from Missouri?

If not, then frick it. It is what it is and that's all it's gonna be.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 12:45:31 PM by Sliver72 »

Offline Sliver72

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2012, 12:53:59 PM »
When you really think about it...the only "hootie mindset" here is being worried about an 18 year old kid and whether he really likes us or not. You know....only wanting kids that want to be razorbacks and all that.
Well, I never said that and I regret that you got that impression. If a kid is from the southern plains of the Serengeti and didn't know what the frick a Razorback was, I'd want us recruiting him.

Whether or not a kid "likes us" is really not an issue. If they do, they do. If they don't, they don't.

Offline 1st_down_streak

• Boar
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2012, 01:14:18 PM »
Anyone who thinks Oregon is going to be outbid by some SEC team for this kid is just being naive.

Offline Sliver72

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2012, 01:21:21 PM »
Anyone who thinks Oregon is going to be outbid by some SEC team for this kid is just being naive.

This must be from the Nike "Game Changer" collection.

Offline Satch

• brings nothing to the discussion.
  • Boar
  • I'm crazy for these cupcakes, cousin !
    • https://www.hogblog.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/1964-Razorback-Logo.png
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2012, 03:06:49 PM »
the one thing about this kid's story that made me smile is that he's from California and making an effort towards Arkansas.  I like the idea that more players in that direction are looking at us as an option.

I'll get excited about this when he signs.  This could be great, or he could be sort of using the UofA to get an offer, which would draw more attention from other schools.  The kid does look good with against whatever competition he was playing against.

WOOPIG.NET   © 2014  Jackson Technologies

Page created in 0.278 seconds with 21 queries.