Welcome, Guest! Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Corndogs to Gods Country  (Read 17295 times)

Offline Tim Calhoun

• Boar
  • hrm
Re: Corndogs to Gods Country
« Reply #100 on: February 21, 2012, 09:52:43 AM »
The Little Elf Wally wrote about today.  As usual he wrote 600 words and said nothing... I have never seen one person waste that much space as often as he dos.

Offline TheOtherWhiteMeat

• Administrator
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #101 on: February 21, 2012, 10:24:52 AM »
The Little Elf Wally wrote about today.  As usual he wrote 600 words and said nothing... I have never seen one person waste that much space as often as he dos.

UA can take LSU, but 2 games must stay

By Wally Hall

LITTLE ROCK — By now some of the disappointment has dimmed.

The LSU game is moving to Fayetteville, replaced in War Memorial Stadium by Ole Miss.

For Arkansas Razorbacks fans in central, south and eastern Arkansas, the game with LSU had become one of pride.

A Thanksgiving weekend showdown.

For the Razorbacks fans in west and Northwest Arkansas, the joy is probably still pretty intense.

Where the disappointed fans are thinking no more miracles on Markham Street, the happy fans are thinking what 10,000 Tigers fans will do for their economy, especially when the games are played on Friday.

Most of those LSU faithful would come to the Rock and tailgate starting on Tuesday or Wednesday and stay until the day after the game.

They fried their turkeys with all their secret ingredients injected into their birds. They talked, drank and ate.

Now, they’ll take over every empty lot in Fayetteville and make it a hot spot for Tigers football.

It is understandable why some are disappointed: The LSU game had become a huge sporting/social event. It was a tough ticket and a hearty party with an estimated 20,000 tailgaters who were ticketless.

Yet, there is reason for the move, and it is about recruiting.

Bobby Petrino will let his boss Jeff Long be the face man on this decision, but the football coach wanted the game moved because NCAA rules only allow recruits to make one official visit to an off-campus facility.

So at Arkansas’ season finale every other year, there were no recruits, and make no mistake, the final visit is very important. Kids tend to remember the last thing they did.

Plus, there is the fact that next year if the LSU game were in the Rock that would have meant three consecutive weekends the Razorbacks were traveling.

The Razorbacks are at South Carolina on Nov. 10, at aMm on the 17th and play LSU on the 24th (yes, it is a Saturday for now).

It seems the decision to swap one of the best teams in the SEC for one of the worst was made with one intent, to do what is best for the program.

All those disappointed fans will be over it by the time the Rebels come to town Oct. 27. It will still be a tough ticket. Arkansas has a long history with Ole Miss.

Plus, there are still two games in central Arkansas, and that should be continued beyond the 2016 contract.

The games in Little Rock connect the entire state. That’s what makes the Razorbacks special, and they are the undisputed No. 1 sports program in the state.

That’s because the family tree, rooted in Fayetteville,has a home away from home in the Rock.

Those two games make every game a family homecoming.

Kevin Crass, chairman of War Memorial Stadium, and all of the commissioners handled last week’s news with strength and dignity.

Crass and his son were at the Razorbacks basketball game Saturday and no one cheered louder or harder for the Hogs.

There is no doubt Fayetteville is no longer a sleepy college community. Northwest Arkansas is a thriving metropolis and it can easily handle six home games, and deserves every one of those.

Right now, the UA and its fans have a win-win situation.

No one is clamoring for more than one basketball game or one baseball game, which sold out in less than 24 hours. They just want to keep those and their two football games.

Granted, War Memorial Stadium isn’t as luxurious as Reynolds Razorbacks Stadium, but the grand old lady is constantly being updated and more improvements are being considered.

And the players love playing in both of their home stadiums.

Last week’s news of the game switch might have been disappointing, but it was what was best for the program, like keeping two games in central Arkansas.

Offline chittlins

• Once got busy in a Burger King bathroom
  • Boar
  • It's a two sniff league
« Reply #102 on: February 21, 2012, 10:33:31 AM »
Look at the benefits of the move. It will actually allow more Arkansas fans to see the Hogs in LR. LSU always used their full allotment and then some via  secondary market. It will also bolster that inflated win percentage many boast about.

Offline Splurge

• is crawling on his belly clearing out what could have been
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #103 on: February 21, 2012, 10:38:37 AM »
I love how he twists it saying LSU fans are coming up on Tuesday just for the game and staying until Saturday just for the game leaving the underlying thought that the LR economy would take a hit through less hotels, restaurants. 

No, nobody in LA has any family in the LR area.  And no, they wouldn't be staying with relatives for Thanksgiving.  No, let's go out of state for 4 days and have a turkey sammich at a Holiday Inn.  Give me a damn break with that crap.

Online TC

• Boar
« Reply #104 on: February 21, 2012, 10:54:33 AM »
Not going to comment of the substance of that article, we beat it to death in the latest GSD thread.  But good gawd, his writing style is atrocious.  Is every paragraph 1 sentence? 

Offline HogofWar

• Boar
  • Tits Out, Captain.
« Reply #105 on: February 21, 2012, 11:38:33 AM »
I love how he twists it saying LSU fans are coming up on Tuesday just for the game and staying until Saturday just for the game leaving the underlying thought that the LR economy would take a hit through less hotels, restaurants. 

No, nobody in LA has any family in the LR area.  And no, they wouldn't be staying with relatives for Thanksgiving.  No, let's go out of state for 4 days and have a turkey sammich at a Holiday Inn.  Give me a damn break with that crap.

I also doubt they are allowed into the part to set up on the Tuesday before the game.

Most of those LSU faithful would come to the Rock and tailgate starting on Tuesday or Wednesday and stay until the day after the game.

Offline Stephen Colboar

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #106 on: February 21, 2012, 11:45:29 AM »
I also doubt they are allowed into the part to set up on the Tuesday before the game.

RVs

Which makes his argument even more retarded.

Offline HogTat

• It's in my nature
  • Boar
« Reply #107 on: February 21, 2012, 12:21:37 PM »
RVs

Which makes his argument even more retarded.

Maybe not.

When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in confederacy against him.

Offline Stephen Hawging

• Jeff Long Darksider #000001
  • Tush Hog
  • Plundering taintfolds and taking names
« Reply #108 on: February 21, 2012, 12:27:26 PM »
That aMm game was in Starkville right? I was at it. Sleeted the entire time. The girl I was dating at the time made it all the way to the fourth quarter and then told me she couldn't feel her feet. I couldn't believe she made it that long. We wound up eating at El Sombrero and listening to Arkansas win it on a fourth down stop.

I was there.  Awesome game.  Maybe the drunkest/foolest I've ever been at a game, but we finally hurt all their good players (I think maybe 6-8 of their starters eventually left the game) and pulled it out at the end.  I'm thinking Brandon Holmes played running back and just showed that he was the toughest MF on the field.  That dude was stout. 
THIS SEASON BROUGHT TO YOU BY AMERICA'S ATHLETIC DIRECTOR, JEFF LONG!!!!

Implores you bitches to just accept the unyielding, planet-crushing black hole karma of Razorback Football.

Offline shortstop6

• Cooled-Out Buddhist Cowboy
  • Administrator
  • Boar
  • Lathed from solid envy, thick with menace.
« Reply #109 on: February 21, 2012, 03:21:50 PM »

Not going to comment of the substance of that article, 

You found some?
I'm an outdoorsman.  I like getting drunk on patios.

Offline Southern Yeoman

• Wild Hog
« Reply #110 on: February 21, 2012, 03:30:42 PM »
Hall couldn't say aMm if he had a mouthful of it.

If you want to quadruple facepalm yourself, compare his writing to something archived from one of the greats:  Jim Murray, Blackie Sherrod, Furman Bisher.  Good grief, I wish he would retire.

Offline Fairweather Hog Fan

• Boar
« Reply #111 on: February 21, 2012, 03:40:24 PM »
It wasn't cold but was anyone at Granny Lou's last game at WMS when the tornado sirens were going off?
Ender of threads!

Offline Count Porkula

• Mayor
  • King of the Hogs
  • frick Him!
« Reply #112 on: February 21, 2012, 03:42:05 PM »
It wasn't cold but was anyone at Granny Lou's last game at WMS when the tornado sirens were going off?

yep  was sitting with my uncle and grandfather in the north endzone. 
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 03:56:34 PM by Count Porkula »
Resonance...metal folding chairs or hard tile floors cannot be beaten when it comes to firing off a loud fart.

Offline Stephen Colboar

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #113 on: February 21, 2012, 03:44:40 PM »
No.

Offline Death By Sooiecide

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #114 on: February 21, 2012, 04:21:26 PM »
Speaking of Wally. When he does retire who is in line to take his place?

Offline Splurge

• is crawling on his belly clearing out what could have been
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #115 on: February 21, 2012, 04:28:24 PM »
The most rain that I've seen was against Tulsa back when RRS was 2 sides and the East side was only 1 level.  It rained so hard we couldn't see the field from our seats (we were on East side close to the top).  I remember walking back to the car and the water coming off the hills was probably 4 inches deep.

Coming back to this one. 

Probably the most rain I've seen was the 2000 Alabama game.  Judas, I thought I was going to have build an ark.  It was just gushing down the stands and there was a river on each sideline.  All the women in our crew went back to the car at halftime from getting "cold".  My brother in law at the time had this "super rain suit" (whatever).  I had my trusty (and lucky) poncho. He started freezing his balls off and took off with 10 min left to go.  He asked me to come to the car with 5 min to go.  Yeah, sure, whatever, just leave so I can watch the ballgame.  That was the game that Robby Hampton hit Poydras in the north endzone (who disappeared into the students) with seconds left to play .  Man, that was a thrilling win.  Got the death looks and silent treatment the whole way home, but who gives a aMm - we won!

Another gully-washer was '97 vs Auburn.  Man, we sucked ass.  Something like a 29 pt dog to Dameyuene Craig and came "close" (see:  lost by less than 3 tds - my homer bet covered!).  That was the game that we were mixing drinks in the 32 oz cups.  I would chug half the cup, look down after swallowing, and the cup was filled back up with rain again.  Finally said frick it and just drank straight from the pint as there weren't many around and security just didn't feel like fricking with it so long as you weren't making an ass of yourself.  There weren't many that stuck around to the end of that one.  I barely remember the end. 
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 04:32:51 PM by Splurge »

Offline Turd F.

• Token Coonass
  • Boar
« Reply #116 on: February 21, 2012, 04:37:49 PM »
Nothing shocking. But there will be more hits on the site and more bitching in the comments from those who want it in LR.:
http://www.arkansassports360.com/29563/cbs-tony-barnhart-arkansas-lsu-will-never-go-back-to-war-memorial

Officially, the Arkansas season finale with LSU is moving from Little Rock to Fayetteville so the Hogs can avoid a third trip away from Reynolds Razorback Stadium to end the season. Travel is the primary reason cited in a university news release, Jeff Long’s comments to us and a Bobby Petrino radio appearance.

Finding room for another 20,000 or so fans also helps. It’s no secret the Fayetteville venue is larger and presents an opportunity to generate more revenue.

But as we’ve told you since December when we learned the move was being discussed,: recruiting is a major reason for the move.

That reasoning hasn’t escaped the notice of Tony Barnhart, national football columnist for CBSSports.com. Barnhart, known as Mr. College Football, was on the Tim Brando Show and offered his thoughts on the venue swap.

Barnhart doesn’t expect the LSU game ever gets moved back to Little Rock. That weekend is too valuable to recruiting, he said:

“That’s a big recruiting weekend. When you’re off campus, guess what? You’ve got no place to take them. There is nothing to tour. You don’t have the facilities. This is a huge recruiting weekend for Arkansas for obvious reasons. That’s why — I promise you — the LSU-Arkansas game will never go back to Little Rock.”

Never?

Long stressed to me last week that the move wasn’t necessarily forever.

I’m not so sure.

Offline big_pig

• King of the Hogs
  • Avatars were made to be broken, but not this one!
« Reply #117 on: February 21, 2012, 04:52:31 PM »
Nothing shocking. But there will be more hits on the site and more bitching in the comments from those who want it in LR.:
http://www.arkansassports360.com/29563/cbs-tony-barnhart-arkansas-lsu-will-never-go-back-to-war-memorial

Officially, the Arkansas season finale with LSU is moving from Little Rock to Fayetteville so the Hogs can avoid a third trip away from Reynolds Razorback Stadium to end the season. Travel is the primary reason cited in a university news release, Jeff Long’s comments to us and a Bobby Petrino radio appearance.

Finding room for another 20,000 or so fans also helps. It’s no secret the Fayetteville venue is larger and presents an opportunity to generate more revenue.

But as we’ve told you since December when we learned the move was being discussed,: recruiting is a major reason for the move.

That reasoning hasn’t escaped the notice of Tony Barnhart, national football columnist for CBSSports.com. Barnhart, known as Mr. College Football, was on the Tim Brando Show and offered his thoughts on the venue swap.

Barnhart doesn’t expect the LSU game ever gets moved back to Little Rock. That weekend is too valuable to recruiting, he said:

“That’s a big recruiting weekend. When you’re off campus, guess what? You’ve got no place to take them. There is nothing to tour. You don’t have the facilities. This is a huge recruiting weekend for Arkansas for obvious reasons. That’s why — I promise you — the LSU-Arkansas game will never go back to Little Rock.”

Never?

I’m not so sure.

These are not mutually exclusive statements.

Long can't officially state that the move is permanent. But anyone with a brain can see it's going to be.

Apparently, Barnhart has a brain.
I am not claiming I am right, I am saying I don't get it.

Online abypfcs

• King of the Hogs
  • Both my favorite teams are underdogs.
    • YPFCS
« Reply #118 on: February 21, 2012, 04:57:20 PM »
baylor 1991 - final swc game in nam. not much shelter from storms back then at razorback stadium - very cold and inches of snow. jason allen went down that game and so did th razorbacks.
I was there, but fortunately in the Tyson sky box.  Billy Ray Smith was sitting on the couch behind us, and he and I pretty much finished off a bottle of scotch that was under the sink in the bathroom.

Normally, I don't like the indoor sky boxes, but that day, with a late kickoff and the cold and snow, being inside was just fine.

Offline TravelHog

• Resident Agitator
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #119 on: February 21, 2012, 05:01:16 PM »
Ah yes, I remember the 2000 Alabama game. The infamous late whistle/gang tackle of Cedric Cobbs.
Chance favors the prepared mind.

Offline Stephen Colboar

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #120 on: February 21, 2012, 05:10:32 PM »
When I think of wet games, that 2001 Tennessee game isn't far behind the Bama game the year before.
Band couldn't even stay out, so they piped the fight song through the speakers for the running through the A. I remember the entire crowd that was brave enough to stand out in the rain singing along loudly enough to the point that it sounded like we had just all sang on our own in unison. Really fricking cool.

That was also the first night of the south endzone. Security was overwhelmed and everyone and their daughter/uncle/grandpa were in the concourse of the indoor/outdoor club areas to stay dry and warm. It was shoulder to shoulder on both levels.

Multiple lightning delays... one that I was convinced was really just because you could barely stand up straight it was raining so heavily. Clusterfuck of a night, but one people always remember.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 05:13:25 PM by Stephen Colboar »

Offline HogTat

• It's in my nature
  • Boar
« Reply #121 on: February 21, 2012, 06:10:59 PM »

Nah, not forever.

When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in confederacy against him.

Offline hogggdadi

• Tush Hog
  • I'm watching you on the pig. always
« Reply #122 on: February 21, 2012, 06:41:05 PM »

Never?

I’m not so sure.

A lot will also depend on how the future sschedule shakes out.  We might not be playing LSU at the end of the year when they go to a more "permanent" schedule.  Who knows what will happen, especially if it goes to 9 conference games.
You only have to be the best team today.

Offline Hackfuck McDouche

• With a name like Hackfuck, it has to be Good
  • King of the Hogs
  • Can I have YOUR vote? And a hot dog?
« Reply #123 on: February 21, 2012, 06:51:36 PM »
Speaking of Wally. When he does retire who is in line to take his place?

I could go ahead and take a aMm in a Ziploc bag and bury it in the backyard to protect the king-in-waiting?

Online Arkansas Proud

• Admins be changing my title daily
  • King of the Hogs
  • The better half
« Reply #124 on: February 21, 2012, 06:55:10 PM »
Ah yes, I remember the 2000 Alabama game. The infamous late whistle/gang tackle of Cedric Cobbs.

We might have won on the scoreboard but Alabama really won that day b/c they were screwed on a 4th down late pass interference flag, and if they had won that game, they were going to win the national title with a loss to LaTech.

*15 National Titles
"I completely agree." -- Stephen Coalboar on August 22, 2014 at 11:39 a.m.

WOOPIG.NET   © 2014  Jackson Technologies

Page created in 0.41 seconds with 21 queries.