Welcome, Guest! Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Help a Prepper  (Read 5861 times)

Offline Southern Yeoman

• Wild Hog
Help a Prepper
« on: February 22, 2012, 08:09:40 PM »
Thanks for clicking.  More traffic here than Hobbies or Living.

Anybody have a good mayo recipe?  I mean like Hellman’s or Duke’s, not the Miracle Whip Salad dressing type.  At $6 a jar, it’s time to make our own.  No luck on the portions and processes in Google searches.  Nor any of the popular country living type books.

Offline Too Big Pig

• King of the Hogs

Offline Hog Leg

• Here we go!
  • Wild Hog
Re: Help a Prepper
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 10:53:45 PM »
I honestly dont think its possible to recreate a Hellman's mayo at home.  At our house we do try and stock up on items like this when they go on sale, which is just a few times a year.  Like 4-6 jars to keep us held over until the next sale. Best recipe we have some across thats edible is for one cup of mayo:

1 cup of soybean oil
1 egg
1 egg yolk
1 Tbsp lemon juice <---for some reason that bottled crap makes a better mayo than the real.  I know its crazy but true.
1 Tbsp vinegar
A pinch of salt
A pinch of sugar
Water to thin
If you know how to make mayo then you know the drill.

Glad to see a thread like this popped up.  I'll make a daily stop here at minimum.  Love to hear the discussion.  Kinder, Gentler...

Offline Mtn Oyster

• A Shoat
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 11:01:47 PM »
Alton Brown made some on Good Eats. Its on YouTube. Good eats Mayo clinic.

Offline Law_Hawg

• Placidly murderous giant
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 12:40:49 PM »

Getting ready for the end, are ya?

Caedite eos! Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.

Offline Tusk till Dawn

• The Wages of Gin
  • Boar
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 12:58:27 PM »
Won't all that aMm go bad post-apocalypse? Then you're extra-fricked without no mayo for your bologna sammiches.
Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night keeps TTD from his Hot Damn.

Offline Cove Hog

• aka...Brother Honkey
  • Tush Hog
  • I'm gonna need a hacksaw.
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 01:11:44 PM »
Personally I can't eat the stuff but I would think it'd be pretty easy to make.

Find a horse.

Jack it off.

Enjoy.

Forecast for tonight is alcohol, low standards and poor decisions.

Offline JDHog

• Lineman for the County
  • Administrator
  • Boar
  • Mayor of Titty City
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 01:47:30 PM »
Personally I can't eat the stuff but I would think it'd be pretty easy to make.

Find a horse.

Jack it off.

Enjoy.

I drive the main road.

Offline TheOtherWhiteMeat

• Administrator
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 02:06:20 PM »
Check with this guy.

Offline Southern Yeoman

• Wild Hog
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2012, 02:22:32 PM »
Check with this guy.

Might as well.
I got no where else to go.

Offline RedRiverHog

• Tush Hog
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2012, 07:19:51 PM »
Mayonnaise

1 egg or two yolks
1 Tbsp vinegar or lemon juice
1/4 tsp mustard powder
8 oz oil

Put the first three in a blender and blend for one full minute. Add the oil a drop at a time. When the mixture thickens, stop the blender and scrape the sides. You may add the oil at a slow drizzle now, still very slowly. As the mixture thickens it forms a bubble and stops blending, so you will have to scrape the sides more frequently.

Don't get in a hurry. This recipe will fail if you don't blend one full minute before adding oil, or if you add oil too fast.

Using white vinegar and safflower oil makes a mayo that tastes exactly like store bought but fresher and sweeter. You can try other types of oil and vinegar to vary the flavor. Try mint, cherry, or other flavor instead of mustard.

Offline Southern Yeoman

• Wild Hog
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2012, 08:51:34 PM »
Thanks for the recipes y'all.  Chickens are laying too much to eat right now.

Getting ready for the end, are ya?

I'm sorry I missed this show.  But those gas masks look like WWI vintage.

I don't see a prepper needing gasmasks.  Ammo.  Seeds.  Maybe a mule.

Offline muslimsdonteatme

• Thunderbolt of Flaming Wisdom
  • Administrator
  • Wild Hog
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2012, 06:15:49 AM »
Mayonnaise

1 egg or two yolks
1 Tbsp vinegar or lemon juice
1/4 tsp mustard powder
8 oz oil

Put the first three in a blender and blend for one full minute. Add the oil a drop at a time. When the mixture thickens, stop the blender and scrape the sides. You may add the oil at a slow drizzle now, still very slowly. As the mixture thickens it forms a bubble and stops blending, so you will have to scrape the sides more frequently.

Don't get in a hurry. This recipe will fail if you don't blend one full minute before adding oil, or if you add oil too fast.

Using white vinegar and safflower oil makes a mayo that tastes exactly like store bought but fresher and sweeter. You can try other types of oil and vinegar to vary the flavor. Try mint, cherry, or other flavor instead of mustard.

I've got a real kick in the ass for this one.  Pour some extra virgin olive oil into a jar, then stuff the jar with onion slices, garlic slices, and three jalapeno peppers sliced with seed.  Let it sit tightly sealed and out of the sun for about six weeks, then strain it back to clean oil.

Use that to make your mayonnaise.  Whew...that's light you up mayonnaise.  Put that aMm on your ham and cheese!!

Offline copenhaWgen

• Wild Hog
  • Satisfied since 1986
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2012, 08:25:54 AM »
I've got a real kick in the ass for this one.  Pour some extra virgin olive oil into a jar, then stuff the jar with onion slices, garlic slices, and three jalapeno peppers sliced with seed.  Let it sit tightly sealed and out of the sun for about six weeks, then strain it back to clean oil.

Use that to make your mayonnaise.  Whew...that's light you up mayonnaise.  Put that aMm on your ham and cheese!!

I've never even considered trying to make mayo until this. Great idea. Thx.

Offline Hog Leg

• Here we go!
  • Wild Hog
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2012, 12:09:18 PM »
Thanks for the recipes y'all.  Chickens are laying too much to eat right now.
I'm sorry I missed this show.  But those gas masks look like WWI vintage.

I don't see a prepper needing gasmasks.  Ammo.  Seeds.  Maybe a mule.

You can take those extra fresh eggs and store them in an airtight container at 35~40 degrees for up to 8 months. No waxing or lard rubbing needed. That way when the hens hit a dry spell it's not all feast or famine.

Offline Southern Yeoman

• Wild Hog
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2012, 01:16:30 PM »
You can take those extra fresh eggs and store them in an airtight container at 35~40 degrees for up to 8 months. No waxing or lard rubbing needed. That way when the hens hit a dry spell it's not all feast or famine.
Maybe like in a Food Saver vacuum sealer type deal?  Never tried to save whole eggs, but we usually scramble and put serving sizes in the freezer.  My wife sells a lot at work, too.  Money for ammo. ;D

Dry spells--last summer was everlasting hot, half our hens died and the rest didn't lay again until October.

Offline cotte

• Woopig Softballah - SS, #11
  • Administrator
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2012, 01:55:15 PM »
For all that time that you're going to spend making it, just stay at work for 10 extra minutes and use the money to buy a jar.
We're going to pick em up when they come off the damn bus. We gonna guard people.
Mike Anderson - March 26th, 2011

Offline muslimsdonteatme

• Administrator
  • Wild Hog
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2012, 03:32:42 PM »
For all that time that you're going to spend making it, just stay at work for 10 extra minutes and use the money to buy a jar.

Doesn't taste the same.  At all.

Offline Southern Yeoman

• Wild Hog
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2012, 04:28:13 PM »
I see your point on this, but I don't mind making something that's easy to do.  Conversely, we still buy chicken because the price doesn't outweigh the inconvenience of slaughtering yet.  I imagine it eventually will.  I guess I meant for the thread to be more DIY about a bunch of stuff than just mayo.  That's just the thing I was annoyed about at the time.

Seems to me groceries in general have about doubled in price over the last 5 years or so.  My income sure hasn't done the same.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 05:35:42 PM by Southern Yeoman »

Offline HOGGLY WOGGLY

• Shitter's Full
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2012, 04:56:12 PM »
Pickling eggs is a good way to save/store some. Love me some pickled eggs.

Offline PigHair

• Boar
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2012, 09:45:39 PM »
Firefox book series is a good resource for lots of do it yourself backwoods stuff.

Offline Boondock Hogs

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2012, 10:28:30 PM »

Well, I know what I'm making when I get home.

Offline Hog Leg

• Here we go!
  • Wild Hog
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2012, 09:49:44 AM »

Freakin' great idea.  Got one started last night, just added a few peppercorns to the mix for extra shits and giggles. 

Maybe like in a Food Saver vacuum sealer type deal?  Never tried to save whole eggs, but we usually scramble and put serving sizes in the freezer.  My wife sells a lot at work, too.  Money for ammo. ;D

Dry spells--last summer was everlasting hot, half our hens died and the rest didn't lay again until October.

Yep pretty much any container you can seal with a vacum and/or Mylar material.  If you raise your own chickens then try NOT to wash them cause it washes off the natural protective covering or the "bloom".  It's naturally antibacterial, and God made dirt and a little dirt won't hurt.  Scuff it off with fine sandpaper.   Or flick it if you don't give a frick if u break a few.  A wet egg is a dead egg. 

Also when storing the eggs for long term.  Do not let the eggs touch each other, store with small side down (yolk won't settle), don't let the eggs contact metal for rust or wood since its porous and could get them wet.  Sounds like a lot to do, but you have to have optimal standards to keep a raw egg good for 8 months.  The scrambling and freezing may be the best way to go since you can keep them over a year.  Or you could just sell the extra eggs and go buy/trade ya some rolled nickels and save them.   :hollah:   

Offline Southern Yeoman

• Wild Hog
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2012, 10:32:32 AM »
buy/trade ya some rolled nickels and save them.   :hollah:   

You mentioned this in the guns thread but I didn't understand. ???

Offline Hog Leg

• Here we go!
  • Wild Hog
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2012, 12:11:24 PM »
You mentioned this in the guns thread but I didn't understand. ???

I'll just preface this by saying.  Get out your tinfoil hats if you like.  This shits gonna happen though, it's already in motion.   

The Coin Modernization, Oversight, and Continuity Act of 2010 requires the Mint to conduct extensive research and development for metals alternatives, and have a detailed report with the recommended selections to the Treasury secretary and Congress by Dec. 14, 2012.
http://www.coinworld.com/articles/u-s-mint-exploring-alternative-metal-options/

It is inevitable that any country that issues a continually-inflated fiat paper currency will run into the problem of their coinage eventually having its base metal value exceed its face value. When this happens, it is one of those embarrassing "emperor's new clothes" moments. Unless a government takes the drastic step of lopping off a zero or two from their currency, this coinage problem is inevitable. In essence, we were robbed by our own government when silver coins were replaced with copper sandwich coins in the 1960s. I predict that essentially the same thing will soon to happen with nickels.  The nickel altogether could be gone in 5 years with the dime being our lowest form of currency. 

Just investing on the base metals alone is doubling your money today.  To be precise, it cost 2.4 cents to make one penny in 2011 and about 11.2 cents for each nickel.

However I could see all coinage going by the wayside cause there is no real cost in paper money, other than some ink and paper.   Supposedly America has all this gold to back up the dollar, but the Fed won't even allow an audit on the gold.  Why?  Starkville iono?!?  But they don't have to, so why would they.  I just call it like I see it.  Doing my best to protect me and mine.  Our house goes and get $40 bank rolls of nickels each week.  Hope this helps.   

WOOPIG.NET   © 2014  Jackson Technologies

Page created in 0.413 seconds with 21 queries.